Post Reply  Post Thread 
1 Votes - 5 Average   The Hanging Gardens of Zharr-Naggrund
Author MessageThe Hanging Gardens of Zharr-Naggrund
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 43
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
The Hanging Gardens of Zharr-NaggrundDînadan 08-16-2015

High atop the great ziggurat that is Mingol Zharr-Naggrund, on the sixtieth level sits the Temple of Hashut.  One level below it is the fifty-ninth and it is here that the Sorcerer-Prophets of the city spend most of their time when not at the Temple or in their private residences or at war, and it is where the Sorcerer-Prophets of the other cities stay when visiting the capital.  Such is the vastness of Zharr-Naggrund that this level is a third of a cubic mile in size and it contains many mansions within, but the most notable feature it possesses sits on the top of the level itself, the place known as the Hanging Garden.

The name is indicative of the twisted humour of the Dawi Zharr, for it is not a garden in the sense understood by men or elves; its groves comprise not of trees, but of vast gibbets and cross from which hang countless slaves and its lakes are of beer, spirits and wine seasoned with blood.  All the hanging slaves are still alive, for the Sorcerer-Prophets take delight in their suffering, their piteous moans music to their ears.  Many of the slaves are earmarked for sacrifice in the Temple, which looms above the garden menacingly and from whose shadow it is impossible to escape, no matter where in the garden you stand, but some have other destinies.

Some are lashed and flayed so that their blood will slowly drain into the lakes.  Others are taken down and dragged into one of the fora or rotundras, where the Sorcerer-Prophets recline and debate theology, philosophy and other academia, so that they can be tortured or mutilated for their perverse amusement.  Others still are let down and released into the garden so that the Sorcerer-Prophetsmay hunt them down; some send other slaves after them, some their bodyguard, some hunt themselves, often using the newest invention they or their apprentices have forged, and some summon daemonic beasts to do the work, although the latter practice has fallen out of usage in latter times due to a few instances where it lard to small scale daemonic incursions.  There is a rumour among slaves that any chosen for the hunt who make it to the next level will be set free, a rumour encouraged by the Dawi Zharr to give them false hope, for it is far sweeter to crush hope than bolster despair.  And besides, there are still miles for the slave to go before they reach the foot of Mingol Zharr-Naggrund and many more to the edge of the city and there is nothing saying that a slave cannot be recaptured between release and there.

The only slaves in the garden to know a modicum of joy are those chosen to attend to the Sorcerer-Prophets, but even that is small comfort, for while they are not bound by chains and are well fed, they live with the constant reminder of what could befall them if they falter or speak out of turn, and to mark them out as being privileged, they are shaved, annoyed with oils and the a blank iron mask, still hot from the forge, is welded onto their face akin to those worn by the Infernal Guard.

Ironically in a way the vast number of slaves that serve as the fruit for the Garden's trees are more privalaged than most Dawi Zharr, for it is a great honour to be allowed into the garden and most do not even dream of ever being allowed to set foot in it and thus over time for them the Hanging Gardens of Zharr-Naggrund is something to be spoken of with awe.

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 11:52 PM by Dînadan.

08-16-2015 11:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1476
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Hanging Gardens of Zharr-NaggrundAbecedar 08-17-2015

Exactly what i thought you'd do when I first red the title.
Gruesome and grisly. Well done.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
08-17-2015 06:30 AM
Dînadan

Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Hanging Gardens of Zharr-NaggrundDînadan 08-17-2015

Thanks.  

Thought it was about time someone wrote a homage to the real world Hanging Gardens considering the heavy Mesopotamian influence on Chaos Dwarfs lol

08-17-2015 06:43 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 621
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: The Hanging Gardens of Zharr-NaggrundFuggit Khan 08-17-2015

A fun read...while reading it I kept picturing in my head Captain Kirk battling the Gorn.

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
08-17-2015 02:47 PM
Dînadan

RE: The Hanging Gardens of Zharr-NaggrundDînadan 08-17-2015

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
A fun read...while reading it I kept picturing in my head Captain Kirk battling the Gorn.

Except the Dawi Zharr have seen Mythbusters so know Kirk would have blown himself up, not the Gorn Tongue Wink

08-17-2015 03:01 PM
Timothy Archer
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 155

RE: The Hanging Gardens of Zharr-NaggrundTimothy Archer 08-18-2015

Very well written , a bit bloody for my taste but the idea is brilliant

08-18-2015 12:25 AM
Dînadan

RE: The Hanging Gardens of Zharr-NaggrundDînadan 08-18-2015

Timothy Archer Wrote:
Very well written , a bit bloody for my taste but the idea is brilliant

Well, the Dawi Zharr, are a very cruel race Wink

08-18-2015 04:32 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 699
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Hanging Gardens of Zharr-NaggrundAdmiral 09-23-2015

This certainly gives a new meaning to hanging gardens. Tongue

Well done again, very proper for Dawi Zharr. Also reminds one of the legendary Jie of Xia with his alcohol lake.

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXV - Deadline 4th of September ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 03:23 AM by Admiral.

09-23-2015 03:16 AM
Dînadan

RE: The Hanging Gardens of Zharr-NaggrundDînadan 09-23-2015

Thanks Admiral.  Never heard of Jie, so it's entirely coincidental lol

09-23-2015 05:13 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lament for Mingol Zharr-Naggrund the Great Admiral 2 1,612 12-15-2016 08:59 AM
Last Post: Roark
  Zharr-Naggrund is Burning Down Dînadan 9 2,256 10-01-2015 07:05 PM
Last Post: Abecedar
  The White Archives of Zharr-Naggrund Dînadan 3 1,537 09-22-2015 04:37 AM
Last Post: Dînadan
  The Hanging Fire Fields of Hashkunezharr Admiral 3 1,546 02-11-2015 08:56 AM
Last Post: Admiral
  Entering Zharr-Naggrund Dînadan 9 3,347 10-04-2014 09:09 AM
Last Post: Dînadan

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites