Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   Scribe's Contest V
Author MessageScribe's Contest V
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 684
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
Scribe's Contest VAdmiral 10-01-2015

Chaos Dwarfs Online Presents: The 5th Scribe's Contest writing competition on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

We are pleased to announce that this Scribe's Contest has been sponsored by Titan Wargames! There will be one prize of this unpainted Grulka Blackhand miniature for the Gold winner:

"The true horror of the fell deeds and demented constructs of the enigmatic rulers and forgemen of the Dark Lands may be glimpsed through their reputation, whether earned in battle, captivity or trade, or spread far and wide as exaggerated stories told by crazed explorers, lying Daemons or runaway slaves. Those are glimpses of a realm of brutality, terror and slavish worship, of insane inventions, mysterious crafts and above all a ravenous and utterly ruthless hunger for power. They hint of a world of red-hot blades, of barbed whips, hammers and blood-soaked altars, of a world where ambition is pursued over the corpses of trampled slaves and fallen enemies beyond counting. They are witnesses of a merciless tribe utterly devoted to conquer and crush all other races underfoot in order to grind them down through relentless slave labour to grease the wheels of industry and fuel the flames of sacrifice.

These are the words of the Survivors."

Subject Matter: Blackest Infamy - Chaos Dwarfs in the Eyes of Others
The theme for this writing competition is Chaos Dwarfs according to others. This is an open format theme, meaning that almost any type of background text and fiction about Chaos Dwarfs and Hobgoblins from the perspectives of outsiders will be accepted, within the rules detailed below.

Your entry could consist of a veteran State Trooper showing old war trophies in a tavern while reminiscing fearfully over past encounters with the Dawi Zharr; a story about slaves making an escape attempt or meeting a grisly end; a Daemon trapped and reforged by a Daemonsmith; a "facts-book" description of relations between Chaos Dwarfs and the Human Marauder tribes of the north; a collection of quotes, proverbs or fables from foreign cultures, revolving around Chaos Dwarfs; a dribbling madman in the Old World ranting on about the forges of hell beyond the World's Edge mountains; a glimpse of a Chaos Dwarf battleline through the eyes of their foes; or something else entirely.

This is not to be confused with writing texts about Chaos Dwarfs' views on outsiders and slaves.

Writing Rules
The word limit for each entry is 10-300 words in total. Since this is an open format theme, you may write your entry as one or more quotes, proverbs, tales, songs, stories etc. Descriptive background texts about foreigners' encounters with Chaos Dwarfs (of the kind you may find in any Warhammer army book) and fiction from the perspective of one or more characters (of the kind you may find in any Black Library novel) are allowed. Age of Sigmar entries are of course welcome.

All entries are to be written "in-universe", meaning no lines about D6s or green stuff are allowed. See the General Rules.

You are encouraged to ask Admiral about whether your entry meet the requirements or not, should you be unsure.

Spellcheck
Please spellcheck your entry before submission. Even so, to help even the field for the non-native English speakers, Admiral may correct grammar and spelling mistakes within the limits of his grasp of the English language.

Inspiration Sources
Anything can be your inspiration, including your latest tabletop game. See the Guidelines, and Chaos Dwarf Stories & Background Section. (You are not allowed to copy someone else's work!)

Please read the full rules and guidelines that apply to the Scribe's Contest competition before submitting your entry!

Deadline: 11:59 PM Oct 17th 2015 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)
Submit your entry by PM to the Scribe account before the deadline. Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (You have around 2 weeks to complete your entry.)

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff before the deadline. In order to avoid problems, we strongly advise entrants not to wait until the very last minute to submit their entries... As things can and do go wrong at the last minute. Please do not send entries to individual Admin or Staff members to submit on your behalf as they may not check their PMs!

How to Enter
Write one or more pieces of fiction or background about Chaos Dwarfs as seen through the eyes of others, invented by you, and send a PM to Scribe (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the entry. The moderator organizing the contest will then check the inbox one or a few days before deadline and verify to each entrant that their submission was received.

If you win
- Take your place in the upcoming Scribe's Contest Hall of Fame (to be created), where your glory will be remembered for years to come.
- Receive the Scribe's Contest medal for your online persona:

- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 40 people enter we award 40 slaves to each person who entered.
- If you win Gold, you'll win a model prize, courtesy of Titan Wargames.

Entries will count towards a participation medal, which is the simpler Scribe's Contest equivalent of Artisan's Contest and Golden Hat veteran medals.

As usual once all entries are received a voting thread will be created. If there are any questions please PM me, another Staff member or post them here.

Summary
Subject Matter: Blackest Infamy - Chaos Dwarfs in the Eyes of Others.
Deadline: 11:59 PM 17th of October 2015 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

If any forum members would like to aid Scribe's Contest by donating models or other materials as prizes for future competitions, feel free to contact myself or one of the Staff to help sort out details.

Now, carve your tablet. Sharpen your pen and dip it in fresh slave blood, for Hashut demands words!

The Staff

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 10-01-2015 12:51 PM by Admiral.

10-01-2015 10:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 470
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VFuggit Khan 10-01-2015

An interesting theme...and being an open format will give rise to quite a varied amount of stories, to be sure.
A few odd idea's have already come to mind...need to sort them out and give it some more thought.

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
10-01-2015 01:20 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 12
Slaves: 1385
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VAbecedar 10-01-2015

I will see what I can do.  a tale is bubbling away in my mind as I type

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.

This post was last modified: 10-01-2015 07:25 PM by Abecedar.

10-01-2015 07:25 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VAdmiral 10-03-2015

@Fuggit Khan: Keeping to an open format has worked so well in the previous contests that I've become a bit reluctant to pick a restricted theme, such as songs, fables or monument inscriptions. Maybe next time. Looking forward to what you will come up with!

@Abecedar: Nice! Looking forward to it. Happy

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 10-03-2015 02:23 AM by Admiral.

10-03-2015 02:22 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest VAdmiral 10-05-2015

Bump. Don't miss this if you like to write and would like to win a dwarf lady. Happy

10-05-2015 12:26 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest VAdmiral 10-08-2015

For your attention in case you've missed it. All comers welcome, and good job all who've entered so far! Happy

This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 07:54 PM by Admiral.

10-08-2015 07:52 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VAbecedar 10-10-2015

I had better hurry up. All I have so far is pieces  of ideas that I have managed to remember from the good ideas that I thought I had rattling around in my head

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-10-2015 07:00 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Scribe's Contest VAbecedar 10-11-2015

Since yesterday, ... Major panic.   I'd lost all my notes, searched everywhere but no luck.  I found that I had thrown my note pad with all my hand written notes into a large recycling skip bin at the local rubbish tip (waste disposal place) whilst getting rid of a heap of mixed plastics and cardboard recycling. In desperation I went back there six hours later and found in just sitting there within reach on top of all the stuff I'd thrown in.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-11-2015 05:47 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest VAdmiral 10-11-2015

The travails of your notes is turning into a saga in itself, Abececar. Looking forward to see what story emerges alive out of all those perils! Wink

10-11-2015 06:14 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Scribe's Contest VAbecedar 10-11-2015

Stressful,  I know.  I'd written heaps of disjointed bits yesterday afternoon whilst sitting in a lovely tulip garden listening to a Johny Cash / Elvis performer. The things you do for your wife.  Since then I spent the next (full) day almost dying from a massive hayfever overload. I'm not over it yet.  That's my excuse for throwing the note-book into the re-cycling

I'm just glad that Hashut approved of my diligence in searching for it and let me find it.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.

This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 03:41 AM by Abecedar.

10-11-2015 07:02 AM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VFuggit Khan 10-12-2015

Holy Hashut! That is some serious dedication Abecedar! Hashut!
I'm still toying around with an idea in my head...but I'm having trouble translating the story to be told "about" Chaos Dwarfs from the viewpoint of others.
That probably does not make much sense...but I need to come up with a way to change the perspective of the story.

10-12-2015 01:44 PM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 497
Scribe's Contest Gold Golden Hat - Silver Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Veteran                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VJackswift 10-12-2015

Amazing that you were able to find and reclaim your notes!

Looking forward to this one.  This is the first time I have entered.  I found the word count limitation to be the hardest part.  With this idea, I could have easily fleshed it out and written 2 or 3 times as much... and was forced to pare, edit, and re-word to make it work.  The end result is better for it though... I think.... Cheers!

10-12-2015 03:31 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Scribe's Contest VAbecedar 10-12-2015

So, so lucky, I know.
My first count for this one was 700 or so, now it is over 800 words.  I tend to write the story as I imagined it and
then trim it down. Once the contest is over I'll post the whole thing

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-12-2015 07:11 PM
Axtklinge
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 134
Scribe's Contest Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VAxtklinge 10-14-2015

That's a great theme.
Can't wait to see what all you guys end up writing on the subject!

By the way, that lady dwarf is a very nice sculpt.
Living proof they aren't bearded nor ugly!
Cheers!

NABBO League: Failling Go-For-It's Since 1999
CDO blog: The path of ZharKhan
10-14-2015 08:02 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Scribe's Contest VAbecedar 10-14-2015

I'll be the first to admit that I have entered.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-14-2015 10:04 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest VAdmiral 10-16-2015

@Axtklinge: Haha, no bearded ladies as far as the eye can see. Happy

@Abecedar: Welcome aboard! We sneaky Chaos Dwarfs seem to keep quiet about such things, so you're indeed the first to admit it. Of course, in Zharr-Naggrund, everything you say may be turned against you... Wink

Tomorrow will be last day to enter, folks!

A family member of mine is apparently turning 50 this weekend. Travelling away and partying will mean that the voting thread will be up first by sunday evening or even monday. I hope this won't be a problem. The voting will start as quickly as I can get it up and running once back.

10-16-2015 08:26 AM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

RE: Scribe's Contest VFuggit Khan 10-16-2015

Just sent in my entry...I really hard a hard time with this one, and honestly I considered dropping out quite a few times. I knew what idea I wanted to write, but I just could not find the proper perspective of the story.
But I'm glad I stuck with it...I managed to come up with something after all Takes Hat off

Plus it's the fifth contest...a hallmark!  Hashut!

10-16-2015 01:27 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Scribe's Contest VAbecedar 10-16-2015

I had one perspective only but when I'd typed up what I'd scrawled in my note book and finished turning it into something that made sense it was 1000+ words.
So it is either give up or trim it harshly while still making sense.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-16-2015 06:12 PM
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 101
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VDînadan 10-17-2015

Damn, thought the deadline was the 18th for some reason >_<

Ah well, didn't have any inspiration for this theme anyway lol

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

10-17-2015 08:17 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Scribe's Contest VAbecedar 10-18-2015

That's the Welsh for you. A day behind because it takes so long to say things

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-18-2015 12:07 AM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Scribe's Contest XI - Winners! Admiral 7 582 09-04-2017 06:17 PM
Last Post: Ghrask Dragh
  Scribe's Contest XI - Voting! Admiral 6 888 08-27-2017 03:37 PM
Last Post: Admiral
  Scribe's Contest XI - Temple Song Lyrics! Admiral 13 1,154 08-22-2017 08:36 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Scribe's Contest X - Winners! Admiral 10 703 08-09-2017 03:26 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Scribe's Contest X - Voting! Admiral 8 838 08-07-2017 03:02 AM
Last Post: Admiral

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites