Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?
Author MessageIs there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 98
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Admiral 11-02-2015

Excellent pictures! Thanks a lot for those, Khan. Cheers!

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVI - Deadline 19th of January ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
11-02-2015 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 51
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Dînadan 11-02-2015

Wow, Man o War ships are tiny compared to Uncharted Seas by the looks of it.

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

11-02-2015 03:58 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Admiral 11-02-2015

On the flip side, following closer to their scale will reduce material costs. And all smallscale fantasy naval ranges will still work well together, because the scale can be relative indeed.

Also, Fuggit Khan and Red Skullz will join the industrial fervour. Not anytime soon, but later on. This will be a special miniature range. Happy

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 04:16 PM by Admiral.

11-02-2015 04:06 PM
Dînadan

Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Dînadan 11-02-2015

Here's an idea - how about having a mix of Man o War size ships and Uncharted Seas sized ships and having the fluff be that the Man o War ships are the older designs and the US ships are the newer, mass produced designs; the smaller Man o War ships could be more eclectic in design while the larger US ships are more uniform reflecting a shift in design ethos (older ships were labours of love by daemonsmiths/engineers who put their own personal touches to designs while newer ships follow a more rigid manufacturing process).

Scale wise they'd all be 1mm, but it would allow for those sculpting ships more freedom and would help them mix with both systems as they want Happy

11-02-2015 04:25 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

These ships will vary quite a lot in size, though they'll probably all look like tailored masterpieces of some eccentric shipwright. The variety of sculptors will see to that as well as their various unique ideas (meaning diversity within a single sculptor's output if he makes several ships), and I wouldn't want it any other way. Happy

But, as said, we'll keep it relatively small and numerous and really detailed, rather than large. Some vessels might well end up a tad titanic, and that'll probably be all fine given their equipment, but on the large we want to cram in more ships into the moulds, not fewer.

11-02-2015 04:55 PM
Dînadan

Oh I don't mean having loads of massive ships, I was referring more along the lines of a fluff explanation why a MoW battleship is the size of a US cruiser Wink

11-02-2015 05:01 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Admiral 11-03-2015

It could also be the other way around with smaller vessels in Man o' War size being mass-produced, and larger ones in Uncharted Seas size being one of a kind masterpieces. Whatever row your boat. Wink

Besides, the common log for this project is run in tandem on Warseer. You only need to post sculpting updates with pictures here on CDO should you wish, and I'll post a quote of your work over on Warseer. We'll get better reach that way.

11-03-2015 12:28 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1353
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Grimstonefire 11-03-2015

Wow, to our scale that would mean each rocket on those mow would be a 5 storey building or something silly!? Shock

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
11-03-2015 03:38 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dînadan

RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Dînadan 11-03-2015

@Admiral: true, true.  I was only think MoW would be the signally produced ones because of the ornamentation/character they have and that you're putting into them while the US minis tend to be starker/cleaner and more like something freshly rolled off the assembly line Wink

@Grimstonefire: I have a hunch that scale wasn't thought of by the MoW sculptors - eg the Taurus and rider from that range are probably closer to 6mm scale I think (Fuggit or someone else with access to the mini will have to check).  Plus they may have exaggerated some bits partly to make it more visual on the tabletop and partly to make casting easier.  And five stories isn't much to sniff at - the torpedoes fired by BFG ships are nearly as tall as St. Steven's Tower!

11-03-2015 05:18 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Grimstonefire 11-03-2015

Can I just clarify something, what material are you thinking to have these cast in?  As it's quite relevant in terms of construction.

Being cast in metal requires stronger built models.

Which is important if you're constructing mostly out of plasticard.  I've been filling my hull void etc in with greenstuff.

11-03-2015 05:55 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Admiral 11-04-2015

Very good point. I had been thinking of metal (resin would be fine as an alternative, though it'd be up to whichever caster gets the job), and since all my models are sculpted on bits of plastic sprue with lots of pinned needles and paper clip skeletons for any protruding parts, they should stand the mould.

Perhaps we should avoid plasticard as far as possible to make sure the sculpts end up endurable?

Besides, surely you have seen this five storey rocket before? Wink

11-04-2015 03:22 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Grimstonefire 11-04-2015

I think as long as there are no air pockets and any protruding parts are sculpted on wire then plasticard should be fine.

Its effectively the same if gaps are filled in, just more uniformly smooth and a lot quicker.

I have had plastic pressure cast before no problem, but I'll do some research to see if thinner plastic (I.e. Plasticard) is ok heat wise.

11-04-2015 04:36 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Grimstonefire 11-04-2015

Including moulding costs I reckon resin casting would be around 40% cheaper overall, and perhaps more suitable for a low production run.

11-04-2015 04:45 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Admiral 11-04-2015

Useful points to know. I had planned to ask you about casting tips and recommended casters down the road.

Resin would be the material of choice, then. It will be handy to know if plasticard can stand the heat during mouldmaking.

This post was last modified: 11-04-2015 06:19 AM by Admiral.

11-04-2015 06:19 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1560
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Abecedar 11-04-2015

Grimstonefire Wrote:
but I'll do some research to see if thinner plastic (I.e. Plasticard) is ok heat wise.

I've heated and bent thin and thick plasticard stuff whilst making a flying carpet.
It bent easily then retained that shape when it cooled.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
11-04-2015 06:24 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Unless its spincast resin aka "restic" (which we are very unlikely to do) resin moulding is very low pressure in comparison.

11-04-2015 09:26 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Grimstonefire 11-06-2015

From warseer:

Having worked as a master model maker at a metal casting facility, no, styrene is not suitable for the vulcanising process. It will deform badly. While masters are often made using styrene and other materials, an interim master is usually used cast in resin. By molding up the initial master in RTV and casting it in resin you are able to do any final cleaning up as well as breaking it apart into various components as well as hollowing it out. You want to use a resin that that as a good shore hardness and temperature

11-06-2015 04:51 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Grimstonefire 11-06-2015

I still think resin would be our best bet.

11-06-2015 04:53 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Admiral 11-06-2015

This is very good to know. Thank you for sharing your insights, Grimstonefire! We'll head toward resin then. I just hope the small ships won't suffer from air bubbles ruining details.

Two questions just to get green light: Shall we build the basis of some vessels from plasticard (naturally with some plastic sprue spine or the other to pin into)? And what minimum thickness of plasticard could we use? Jackswift is back again and will soon share some sketches.

Work is progressing on the escort ships, though it will be some days before the next finished escort can be posted.

11-06-2015 06:17 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Is there any interest in a fantasy evil dwarf steamship fleet range?Grimstonefire 11-07-2015

I think the best idea at the moment is to tidy up our sketches and load them up and decide what to do from there, in terms of division of work.

A professional quality caster will de-gas the moulding rubber as well as the resin.  So air bubbles should be minimal if any, and if they are bad you ask to be supplied with ones without bubbles at no charge, which would be expected imo.

My first ship will hopefully be finished for basic construction today, the one with the chainsaw out the front then I'll take some photos.

I think fill in any large voids with greenstuff/sprue as much as possible, using plasticard.  If you fill it in well then the thickness can be quite thin, but I'd suggest no less than 0.5mm for anything that isn't really curving.

11-07-2015 09:47 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kickstarter games/things of interest cornixt 42 14,381 07-19-2017 02:45 PM
Last Post: Carcearion
  Fantasy Miniature kickstarter ... with a Chaos Dwarf and Hobgoblins Firehammer 6 1,684 04-06-2016 09:50 PM
Last Post: Aron
  Chaos Dwarf fantasy football team Thommy H 7 2,625 04-06-2015 12:53 PM
Last Post: Yodrin
  What new evil Dwarf ranges has appeared since 2012? Admiral 19 7,660 12-18-2014 06:04 AM
Last Post: Vantraxx the Thrice Cursed
  Size comparison pictures of evil Dwarf miniatures wanted Admiral 18 8,173 06-27-2014 06:23 PM
Last Post: clam

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites