Post Reply  Post Thread 
1 Votes - 5 Average   The Rat and the Bull - Intro
Author MessageThe Rat and the Bull - Intro
Ikkred Pyrhelm
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 89
Scribe's Contest Silver Scribe's Contest - Gold x4 Scribe's Contest Veteran                               
The Rat and the Bull - IntroIkkred Pyrhelm 10-27-2015

Decided to try my hand at writing for another race than my usual Skaven and Gobbos. Hopefully this should end up a nice little saga, though my updating schedule is usually slower than magma on a cold day. Tongue

Anyhow:

The Rat and the Bull - Introduction

“Now this, this is the way to live.”

The dark bearded dwarf was lying back on a mound of verminous corpses and took another mouthful of dark liquid from a small metal flask.

His gangly companion was still peering nervously into darkness of the tunnels and did not answer right away. The dwarf snorted and dug a blackened fingernail around one of his tusks and prised out a scrap of meat. He inspected it for a moment as if trying to remember what he had eaten in the past few days; he shrugged slightly and flicked it away.

“I said, Nibtrik, this is the way to live. Don’t ye agree?”

“Sure boss” muttered the hobgoblin, not taking his eyes from the darkness. The rough camp fire that the two had made crackled slightly in mirth. The site of the Skaven ambush was twisted with ghastly looking shadows from the light of the fire, not that the Dwarf of Chaos seemed to mind.

“Boss? Yer sure we shuld stay ere? Wot if more of ‘em show up?”

“Then we kill them too.”

The dwarf lifted one of the fallen weapons and casually inspected it by the light of the fire. His meaty fist tightened and the metal of what possibly was a sword, crumpled. He threw the ruined weapon aside.

“Tsk, ye would think these rats would grasp simple forging? Even ye could make better swords than these...by Hashut...I can’t even think of a word to describe this excuse of a weapon.” He snorted and poked at the fire with the remains of what might have been a spear. “We should only be worried if their weapons glow green” he said at last, “the ratfolk seem a mite bit addicted to solidified magic, Warpstone wasn’t it?”

Nibtrik muttered an affirmative, his thin paw still close to his blade. The dwarf had resumed picking at his teeth. “I doubt we’ll see much Warpstone weapons for a while, probably more dangerous to their wielders anyway. Knowing these Skaven even they shouldn’t give us too much grief.” As if for emphasis the dwarf rapped a knuckle on his heavy plated armour.

The hobgoblin wondered for a moment if he should point out that he wasn’t anywhere as well armoured as the Chaos Dwarf was, but decided against it. Staying on the dwarf’s better side was the only chance Nibtrik had to make it out alive. The thought of red eyes still lurking in the shadows was one of the main reasons Nibtrik hadn’t abandoned his master. Most of the other reasons were what the dwarf would do to him when he inevitably caught him again.

The dwarf took another glug from his flask. “I suppose we had better head on soon,” he chuckled, “not that I have much hope for this...survey. The metal seams thus far have been...disappointing. But we’ll see. We’ll see.”

He turned his gaze back to the fire that continued to dance as it consumed what wood still lingered within its flame.

“But for now, this is the way to live.”

10-27-2015 05:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1496
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Rat and the Bull - IntroAbecedar 10-27-2015

Quite nice.  Will look forward to more as it comes

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-27-2015 05:55 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 283
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Rat and the Bull - IntroAdmiral 10-28-2015

Great start! Full of laidback confidence and many good details. So it's both Skaven and Gobbos usually you write about, eh? Sounds like the mother of all subterranean wars are brewing. Wink

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXXI - Voting Deadline 22nd of November ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
10-28-2015 05:52 AM
Ikkred Pyrhelm
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 89
Scribe's Contest Silver Scribe's Contest - Gold x4 Scribe's Contest Veteran                               
RE: The Rat and the Bull - IntroIkkred Pyrhelm 11-06-2015

Cheers both! Happy

Sorry it's been a while before I replied.

@Abeceder: Many thanks, i'll see how many I can churn out.

@Admiral: Thank ye, admittedly the majority of my writing is about Skaven, but I had a lot of fun in a Bugman's campaign as a goblin trader who now makes numerous cameos. I did have a few pieces on the line of the dwarf-thing Drekki Ironhelm, whose grandfather's brewery was destroyed by Skaven leading to him taking the Slayer's Oath and dying to a frost dragon (Slayer Brotherhood campaign) leaving his forebears without his brewing recipes. But yeah, I be more at home cackling insanely and throwing lightning at things. Tongue

Tales from the UnderEmpire
Avatar by ShuNian (with a bicorn added for good measure!)
11-06-2015 06:52 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My Intro fluff for Animosity 5 klemanius 0 1,192 11-09-2010 06:53 AM
Last Post: klemanius
  CDO Flash Intro Grimstonefire 6 3,123 04-08-2007 12:54 PM
Last Post: Xander

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites