Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Gorgarraks Big Hats (Slave Orcs added)
Author MessageGorgarraks Big Hats (Slave Orcs added)
gorgarrak
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 41

Gorgarraks Big Hats (Slave Orcs added)gorgarrak 01-16-2016

I've been away from fantasy for nearly four years, but now it's time for a return to my beloved Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs.
I'll mostly be using the fantastic Dwarves of Fire Canyon minis from The Russian Alternative to be used in Frostgrave, Dragon Rampant, Kings of War and 9th Age along with a few other systems. To this end I'll be mounting all of my standard foot figures on 20mm circular bases to be either used individually in the skirmish games, ranked up in a movement tray for mass battle.
I've started upgrading a KOW Iron Caster to have a longer beard, tusks and a big hat with bull and skull details to fit in better with the RA miniatures, though he'll still stand 4mm taller.

There's still a lot of detail to be added to his hat and he may get a slightly larger nose too.

2017 Image Salvage

Takes Hat off GORGARRAK Takes Hat off

This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 02:02 PM by Admiral.

01-16-2016 01:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Parish
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 70

RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesParish 01-16-2016

Hi gorgarrak !

That looks promising !

Good start with the beard !
What did you use as a base for the hat?

01-16-2016 07:00 AM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1216
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesWillmark 01-16-2016

A bit fuzzy from the pic, but that is some nice green-stuff work. Keep it up.

My Want List / My Trade List
01-16-2016 10:50 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Roark
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 18

RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesRoark 01-16-2016

You're improving him, for sure. The cheek guards and double horn set remind me of the Taur'ruk.

"Raise the icon. Load the pyres. The Father will have the spoils today, that we may be blessed tomorrow." - Drughaz the Taker
01-16-2016 08:16 PM
gorgarrak
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesgorgarrak 01-17-2016

A couple of nice parcels came from Russia over the past couple of days, The Dwarfs of Fire Canyon, one of each hero, two of each command set, three packs of sword and board, two packs of great weapons and two sets of blunderbusses. In addition to these two Bezhukk the Immortal arrived too (Thanks to Ravenswood)
I was pleasantly surprised at the RA Dwarves, they mix and match so well with hand and head swaps and command group elements are easily switched onto rank and file dwarves, even the massive musicians horn fits onto one of the rank and file from the first set. These are now my favourite Chaos Dwarf models ever and I can't wait for the Chaos Dwarf Slayers previewed in Rozmax's thread to be released

Mike

01-17-2016 11:37 AM
gorgarrak
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesgorgarrak 02-21-2016

I've now ripped his head off, replaced it with a Russian Alternative one which I lowered by another 4mm to make him a lot shorter, now with added back banners and paint job, I'm not sure about the purple yet.

C + C welcomed

02-21-2016 04:11 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 511
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesAdmiral 02-22-2016

Lavish. Some scalemail could perhaps have helped the robes, but overall a nice conversion and paintjob! Unique for sure.

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXV - Voting Deadline 13th of September ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
02-22-2016 01:54 AM
gorgarrak
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesgorgarrak 02-22-2016

I think you're right on the scale mail, something to break up the mass of purple on his legs

Mike

02-22-2016 04:24 AM
gorgarrak
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesgorgarrak 02-28-2016

I've now finished an Army Battle Standard using a Russian Alternative Great Weapon Dwarf with a scratch built Banner (Sorry for the terrible photos)

Close up of the Icon of Dark Brotherhood

C and C welcomed

Mike

This post was last modified: 02-28-2016 11:02 PM by gorgarrak.

02-28-2016 10:55 PM
Helblindi
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 245
Scribe's Contest Gold Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesHelblindi 02-29-2016

Love the banner! It seems the bearer is holding it at an awkward angle, wrist seems weird.

Helblindi's Throng: Karak Brothar
My Evil Throng: Helblindi's Legion
My Blood Bowl stuff
02-29-2016 02:28 AM
Roark
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 18

RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesRoark 02-29-2016

Wicked. The flaming runes are kickass. Really well picked out.

"Raise the icon. Load the pyres. The Father will have the spoils today, that we may be blessed tomorrow." - Drughaz the Taker
02-29-2016 08:30 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Slaves: 625
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesFuggit Khan 02-29-2016

Awesome banner! I love everything about it, the design, broken anvil, colors and the hanging ringed rune of Hashut are all beautiful. I'm sending you some slaves Cheers!

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
02-29-2016 12:49 PM
gorgarrak
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesgorgarrak 02-29-2016

Thanks Fuggit, I was inspired by the magic item - The Icon of Dark Brotherhood from the old Indy GT army book by Kevin Coleman

"This ancient symbol once represented the Dwarf Empire of old during its golden age. Now, altered and corrupted by the Chaos Dwarfs, who carry the icon in blasphemy and mockery of their counterparts in the Worlds Edge Mountains."

Mike

02-29-2016 01:19 PM
BABIS
Great Taurus

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 250
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesBABIS 02-29-2016

great banner for sure!

BABIS CHAOS DWARFS BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12173

Bloodbeard Wrote:
With all that heavy firepower, you'll be able to take on the Old Ones when they return in their silver ships.

02-29-2016 05:54 PM
gorgarrak
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesgorgarrak 06-04-2016

I've just taken delivery of 60+ orcs from MOM Miniatures in Spain, they are great aggressive looking non-comedy orcs that will be used as Orc slaves in my CD and 9th Age armies. I got given a free troll and Orc Warboss with my order too, which was awesome of them.
I highly recommend MOM miniatures if you need some angry greenskins, they seem to be made of the same resin as Russian Alternative minis and clean up easily.

Painted updates soon.

06-04-2016 02:14 PM
Murkwood
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 67

RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesMurkwood 06-04-2016

MOM miniatures Orcs look like they could be perfect for Slave Orcs in my Kings of War army. I was on the fence about buying them... I'm sold.

06-04-2016 05:56 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1496
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesAbecedar 06-04-2016

Very nice, I like how they are looking.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
06-04-2016 09:52 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Slaves: 511
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesAdmiral 06-05-2016

That banner is perfect. It captures the essence of Chaos Dwarfs in every way. Thanks for the Mom Miniatures tip, too!

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXV - Voting Deadline 13th of September ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
06-05-2016 02:01 AM
gorgarrak
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesgorgarrak 06-08-2016

I've started planning my Tauruks for 9th Age, I don't like the Mantic halfbreed minis and wanted to fit them in with my new look of mostly RA and Forgeworld miniatures. I began by scraping all of the detail off a Mantic Abyssal Halfbreed, then skinned it with greenstuff and added a RA upper body and head onto which I sculpted a larger cranium and bull horns to match the Forgeworld Renders.

There will be 19 more to follow this guy which I will work on as a background project as they take so much time and so many layers of putty.

Mike.

This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 02:51 AM by gorgarrak.

06-08-2016 04:50 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1496
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Big hat CDs for multiple gamesAbecedar 06-08-2016

Good work.  If you don't particularly like something... Don't be afraid to change it. That's a great attitude

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.

This post was last modified: 06-08-2016 06:20 PM by Abecedar.

06-08-2016 06:19 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lifer's big hats (sorcerer pic added Jan 11th) Lifer 28 9,628 01-11-2011 10:27 AM
Last Post: Bassman

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites