Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   Scribe's Contest VI
Author MessageScribe's Contest VI
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 684
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
Scribe's Contest VIAdmiral 01-16-2016

Chaos Dwarfs Online Presents: The 6th Scribe's Contest writing competition on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

This Scribe's Contest has been sponsored by Admiral. There will be one prize of this unpainted Ancient Dwarf Statue of Ancient Times miniature for the Gold winner:

"To partake of Dawi Zharr mythology is to gain a raw glimpse into the convoluted and diabolical minds of the Chaos Dwarfs. For in their myths and legends, in their dark tales and cruel sagas, resides the verbal manifestations of their ravenous will to power; their drive to crush and conquer; their resolve to toil and sacrifice; their occult fanaticism; and their hidden world of baleful secrets and shackled Daemons. Ruthless killers, torturers and villains; conquerors and destroyers; slavers and slaves; forgemen, mystics, Daemons and Dark Gods alike - all are they twilight characters moving about in bloodsoaked narratives as shapes of shadow and flame, sprung from deep within the demented minds of the worshippers of the fierce Bull God.

Here, in their myths and legends, are laid bare the cruelty, the bloodthirst, the will to oppress and the utter distaste for weakness and frailty which drives the mighty arms to whip and flay and maim and gouge and geld. Here, in black myths, are laid bare the unrelenting hunger for power of the Blacksmiths of Chaos and their dread ambitions, as seen in the cruel deeds, treacherous words and horrible fates of their figures of myth and legend. These are not sagas of valourous arms and kind hearts, nor are they narratives of redemption and noble heroism. For these are stories of suffering and hardship without end, of death and carnage, of evil triumphant and of mighty rulership won atop piles of broken bodies. For these are conflicting tales of fire and darkness, of blood and ash, of whip and blade. Above all, they mirror the heinous actions and merciless atrocities committed by the cruel masters of a dark empire, far away beyond the mountains, where they reign over hell on earth.

These are the words of the Sons of Fallen Ancestors."

Subject Matter: Tales of Darkness - Chaos Dwarf Myths & Legends
The theme for this writing competition is Chaos Dwarf myths & legends. Myths are stories that explain the world to the members of a culture, and usually they involve monsters, deities, supernatural phenomena, heroes, villains and dark fates. Myths can be creation stories, explaining where things come from (such as the origin of the world or the Chaos gods). They usually explain why things are as they are (e.g. why uncorrupted Dwarfs are bastards, why Hashut is not one of the Great Four Dark Gods, or why the weak must be oppressed and exploited). Legends are somewhat more down-to-earth, being stories of mortal deeds and fates, and sagas of treachery and greatness.

Your entry could consist of a member of the Temple Priesthood reciting important mythological passages to a Sorcerer-Prophet as a trial of knowledge; or it could be a background overview of a high tale, akin to the style of writing found in Warhammer army books or Liber Chaotica; it could be some sort of epic quest for power or even a creation story; or something else entirely. Give us your vision of a Chaos Dwarf myth or legend!

This is not to be confused with "myths" in the sense of lies or urban legends, such as those tested on Mythbusters.

Writing Rules
The word limit for each entry is 50-800 words in total. Inventive ways to write entries are encouraged. You may write your entry as it would have sounded if told by a Chaos Dwarf elder; or as an inscription or actual text on some scroll or tablet. You may write it as a collection of broken passages from a shattered monument, or as an insane vision of some mystic or another. You may even write a foreign myth or legend concerning Chaos Dwarfs. Likewise, you may write your entry as a descriptive overview of a myth or legend, with as little or as many details as you like to include. Your entry need not be a complete myth/legend from start to finish; fractions of a full tale is sufficient. Age of Sigmar entries are of course welcome.

All entries are to be written "in-universe", meaning no lines about D6s or green stuff are allowed. See the General Rules.

You are encouraged to ask Admiral about whether your entry meet the requirements or not, should you be unsure.

Spellcheck
Please spellcheck your entry before submission. Even so, to help even the field for the non-native English speakers, Admiral may correct grammar and spelling mistakes within the limits of his grasp of the English language.

Inspiration Sources
Anything can be your inspiration, including your latest tabletop game. See the Guidelines, and Chaos Dwarf Stories & Background Section. (You are not allowed to copy someone else's work!)

Please read the full rules and guidelines that apply to the Scribe's Contest competition before submitting your entry!

Deadline: 11:59 PM Feb 4th 2016 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)
Submit your entry by PM to the Scribe account before the deadline. Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (You have a little more than 2 weeks to complete your entry.)

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff before the deadline. In order to avoid problems, we strongly advise entrants not to wait until the very last minute to submit their entries... As things can and do go wrong at the last minute. Please do not send entries to individual Admin or Staff members to submit on your behalf as they may not check their PMs!

How to Enter
Write one or more pieces of Chaos Dwarf mythology or tales of legend, invented by you, and send a PM to Scribe (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the entry. The moderator organizing the contest will then check the inbox one or a few days before deadline and verify to each entrant that their submission was received.

If you win
- Take your place in the upcoming Scribe's Contest Hall of Fame (to be created), where your glory will be remembered for years to come.
- Receive the Scribe's Contest medal for your online persona:

- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 40 people enter we award 40 slaves to each person who entered.
- If you win Gold, you'll win a model prize, courtesy of Admiral.

Entries will count towards a participation medal, which is the simpler Scribe's Contest equivalent of Artisan's Contest and Golden Hat veteran medals.

As usual once all entries are received a voting thread will be created. If there are any questions please PM me, another Staff member or post them here.

Summary
Subject Matter: Tales of Darkness - Chaos Dwarfs Myths & Legends.
Deadline: 11:59 PM 4h of February 2016 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

If any forum members would like to aid Scribe's Contest by donating models or other materials as prizes for future competitions, feel free to contact myself or one of the Staff to help sort out details.

Now, carve your tablet. Sharpen your pen and dip it in fresh slave blood, for Hashut demands words!

The Staff

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 01-17-2016 05:46 AM by Admiral.

01-16-2016 04:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 101
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VIDînadan 01-16-2016

Admiral Wrote:
This is not to be confused with "myths" in the sense of lies or urban legends, such as those tested on Mythbusters.

Hmm, wonder what a Dawi Zharr Mythbusters would be like?  For a start I'm guessing they'd use slaves in place of Buster ;p

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

01-16-2016 05:16 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VIAdmiral 01-16-2016

Dînadan Wrote:

Admiral Wrote:

Hmm, wonder what a Dawi Zharr Mythbusters would be like?  For a start I'm guessing they'd use slaves in place of Buster ;p

Even more use of pyrotechnics, too. In fact, someone crazy enough could even convert a Deathrocket crew based on Jamie and Adam... Why did I think of Fuggit there? Tongue

If anyone has got any questions regarding the contest, or is in need of inspirational links, please speak up and you'll be helped out.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 01-16-2016 05:48 PM by Admiral.

01-16-2016 05:48 PM
Dînadan

Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VIDînadan 01-16-2016

Admiral Wrote:

Dînadan Wrote:

Admiral Wrote:

Even more use of pyrotechnics, too. In fact, someone crazy enough could even convert a Deathrocket crew based on Jamie and Adam... Why did I think of Fuggit there? Tongue

If anyone has got any questions regarding the contest, or is in need of inspirational links, please speak up and you'll be helped out.

That's a theme for a future AC -Mythbusters, Chaos Dwarf Style

;p

01-16-2016 06:20 PM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 470
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VIFuggit Khan 01-21-2016

Admiral Wrote:
In fact, someone crazy enough could even convert a Deathrocket crew based on Jamie and Adam... Why did I think of Fuggit there? Tongue

Possibly because the Mythbusters more destructive scenes are filmed only a few blocks from my home, at the Alameda Naval Air Station.
Neither Jamie nor Adam live here in Alameda, but I've run into them frequently at the local Walgreens buying snacks (and Jamie drives a total beater cr@ppy pick up truck).
And for some odd reason, I've had a few instances where people thought I was Jamie at that Walgreens, and asked for my autograph. We look nothing alike...really weird.

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"

This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 07:46 PM by Fuggit Khan.

01-21-2016 08:13 PM
Dînadan

RE: Scribe's Contest VIDînadan 01-21-2016

Fuggit Khan Wrote:

Admiral Wrote:
In fact, someone crazy enough could even convert a Deathrocket crew based on Jamie and Adam... Why did I think of Fuggit there? Tongue

Possibly because the Mythbusters more destructive scenes are filmed only a few blocks from my home, at the Alameda Naval Air Station.
Neither Jamie nor Adam live here in Alameda, but I've run into them frequently at the local Walgreens buying snacks (and Jamie drives a total beater cr@ppy pick up truck).
And for some odd reason, I've had a few instances where people thought I was Jamie at that Walgreens, and asked for my autograph. We look nothing alike...really weird.

How do we know you aren't Jamie and are just saying that to throw us off? Tongue Wink

01-21-2016 08:36 PM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VIFuggit Khan 01-22-2016

Dînadan Wrote:
How do we know you aren't Jamie and are just saying that to throw us off? Tongue Wink

We have the same name, but the similarities end there Wink
This is me, no mustache, no beret, no glasses:
[img][/img]

Cheers!

01-22-2016 01:42 PM
Dînadan

RE: Scribe's Contest VIDînadan 01-22-2016

Berret and glasses are removable and you might have shaved just before that pic...infact, the 'tache might have been fake all along!

Tongue Wink

01-22-2016 04:20 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest VIAdmiral 01-29-2016

Bump, join the contest if you haven't. Win a statue. Happy

Given Fuggit's latest artillery escapade, I am quite sure that he is born to be a myth buster. Kaboom!

01-29-2016 02:06 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 12
Slaves: 1385
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VIAbecedar 01-29-2016

am struggling. Ideas so far = zero.  I won't give up yet though

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
01-29-2016 04:32 AM
Roark
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 18

RE: Scribe's Contest VIRoark 01-29-2016

Somebody has an epic origin story in them. Hint: it's not me.

"Raise the icon. Load the pyres. The Father will have the spoils today, that we may be blessed tomorrow." - Drughaz the Taker
01-29-2016 04:56 AM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

RE: Scribe's Contest VIFuggit Khan 01-29-2016

Abecedar Wrote:
am struggling. Ideas so far = zero.  I won't give up yet though

We're in the same boat. I have zero idea's Sad
I'm going to give it much thought this coming weekend...

01-29-2016 12:39 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest VIAdmiral 01-29-2016

For inspiration, mayhap some delving into the Liber Chaotica tomes could work? And, certainly, Google "Mesopotamian myths" or similar things and there should come up lots of stuff to give you ideas to get started.

Examples of unexplored areas: Mythological enslavement and domination of Greenskins - Hashut triumphant over heathen false Orc gods (maybe not named Gork and Mork as such). Legend about the Coming of Hashut to the Chaos Dwarfs' beleaguered forefathers, abandoned by false Ancestor Gods. Myths concerning scorpion men and stone golems akin to those found in the Gilgamesh epic. Trickster's tale. How Hashut braved the heinous salty sea waters, artefact hunt and whatever which explains CD naval presence on oceans. Something utterly bizarre, such as CD figure of legend flaying fallen enemy, yet failing to curse the skin and dedicate it as a sacrifice to Hasut, whereupon the skin takes hollow form and wreak terrible vengeance upon the impious one. Myth explainining the mundane and the Chaos moons of the Warhammer world. Theft of fire from gods. Something about machinery or K'daai. Clash of the Great Four in Realm of Chaos, with Hashut as armourer and cunning bastard playing the big Dark Gods off against each other...

The list goes on, the sky is the limit! Takes Hat off

This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 01:09 PM by Admiral.

01-29-2016 12:58 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest VIAdmiral 01-30-2016

I've written a story with preamble to give you an example of how one can get inspiration and work from there: Lordship in Heaven

It's based loosely on these two myths, from the Bronze Age Hittites. Search for some ancient Middle-Eastern myths and legends (preferably Mesopotamian and definitely not Egyptian, since that'd be Tomb King territory), read up a bit, get inspiration and work from there, and make it part of twisted Warhammer in your mind. Happy

Also, why not take a look on the Daemons of Chaos stories of the dealings of Dark Gods and Daemons and see how Hashut would fit into all that, though from a biased, venerating and adulating Dawi Zharr viewpoint?

This post was last modified: 01-30-2016 11:45 AM by Admiral.

01-30-2016 10:37 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Scribe's Contest VIAbecedar 01-30-2016

Spent seven hours on the road the night before last, 8pm to 3am, (That's after my ten hour day shift that finished at 6pm).  I now have the germ of an idea If only I can remember the stupefied meanderings of my mind

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
01-30-2016 06:55 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest VIAdmiral 02-01-2016

Good luck, I look forward to read it!

Here's another example, at 800 words, just to try and throw in one more inspirational spark: The First Soulforge

02-01-2016 11:43 AM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

RE: Scribe's Contest VIFuggit Khan 02-01-2016

So I think I mighty have the beginnings of an idea...it's not much of an idea though Sad
I think why I'm struggling with this theme is because I'm a fan of ancient mythology, and as such I have read lots of it. So trying to think of something "new" is hard for me. Every idea I had was always influenced by some earlier work of Greek, Roman or Hittite writers.
Anyways, I'm going to try to put my vague idea to the pen this afternoon Cheers!

EDIT: and I'm done! Just sent it in Cheers!

This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 07:46 PM by Fuggit Khan.

02-01-2016 02:26 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest VIAdmiral 02-02-2016

Two days to go before deadline. Don't miss the chance at winning a statue if you haven't yet entered. Wink

@Fuggit Khan: Very good! Received.

02-02-2016 07:23 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Scribe's Contest VIAbecedar 02-02-2016

Two days!!!!! Thanks for the warning

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
02-02-2016 08:21 PM
Roark
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 18

RE: Scribe's Contest VIRoark 02-02-2016

As usual, I wrote something in 20 minutes after two Martinis... which will be sadly apparent.  Pirate

"Raise the icon. Load the pyres. The Father will have the spoils today, that we may be blessed tomorrow." - Drughaz the Taker
02-02-2016 09:32 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Scribe's Contest XI - Winners! Admiral 7 582 09-04-2017 06:17 PM
Last Post: Ghrask Dragh
  Scribe's Contest XI - Voting! Admiral 6 888 08-27-2017 03:37 PM
Last Post: Admiral
  Scribe's Contest XI - Temple Song Lyrics! Admiral 13 1,154 08-22-2017 08:36 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Scribe's Contest X - Winners! Admiral 10 703 08-09-2017 03:26 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Scribe's Contest X - Voting! Admiral 8 838 08-07-2017 03:02 AM
Last Post: Admiral

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites