Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
2 Votes - 5 Average   Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (17/04 2018)
Author MessageMiscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (17/04 2018)
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 45
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (4/5 2016)Dînadan 05-04-2016

Never knew that about amphorae, will you be doing one without the point so it can be glued to a base to replicate that storage method?

And surely England and France are also contenders for the record of most wars fought against each other? Tongue Wink

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

05-04-2016 04:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjub
Hat or Die!

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1362
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (4/5 2016)tjub 05-04-2016

Impressive stuff!

05-04-2016 05:48 AM
Forgefire
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 402
Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (4/5 2016)Forgefire 05-04-2016

Cool stuff i have totally missed this thread! Keep up the good work! Happy

05-04-2016 12:37 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 696
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (4/5 2016)Admiral 05-04-2016

@Dînadan: It's more efficient if I only do whole vases, and then people can cut off the bottoms if they wish to. As for England and France, they are up in the top, especially if you count number of years at war (not only counting wars themselves), but in the end that pesky English Channel kept those countries not quite as much at each others' throats as the Nordic brothers.

@tjub & Forgefire: Tack så mycket!

Tidbit: The pointy ends of amphorae was entirely a design solution for storage and shipping. Aside from sticking them in sand, you could stick them in a sort of inner hull ladder lining the walls, and stack them on top each other:

So you see, spiky bitz isn't such a modern phenomenon after all. Tongue

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXV - Deadline 4th of September ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 02:44 PM by Admiral.

05-04-2016 02:02 PM
Darkmeer
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 116

RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (4/5 2016)Darkmeer 05-07-2016

Wow.  I was unaware of that aspect of the amphorae.  I learned something new today.  I was more familiar with paint designs on them.  Thanks for the history lesson!

05-07-2016 09:24 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (10/5 2016)Admiral 05-10-2016

@Darkmeer: No problem, mate. Also, common cheap amphorae were many times not re-used but scrapped once emptied (there's a whole hill of ancient waste packed high in Rome today), particularly with olive oil whose remnants turned the vases rancid. Until the Arabs came up with glazing the insides of ceramics, the porous inner walls of clay storage containers sucked up liquid and could turn nasty by time. Happy

First of two double-faced runestones completed, based on this and this runestone. Included, a simple globe so you can map out your fantasy world. Also, there's a drinking cup with the very Roman motifs of war and love, because nothing screams "ancient" like gutsy 2D scenes.

And a barrel goblin:

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXV - Deadline 4th of September ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 09-11-2017 04:50 AM by Admiral.

05-10-2016 05:15 PM
Darkmeer
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (10/5 2016)Darkmeer 05-10-2016

LOVE that globe.  That is excellent, sir!

Everything is very good, but if the globe gets cast, I will definitely pick it up.

05-10-2016 09:15 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (10/5 2016)Bloodbeard 05-11-2016

Your brain works in wonderful ways my friend. So many original things coming out of the project. Holy smokes you've done a lot. I really hope you get the right compensation for this, because it's alot of work. All these clutter pieces will sell. So make sure everything gets made!

05-11-2016 03:04 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 577
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (10/5 2016)Jackswift 05-11-2016

The barrel goblin is great... but the bird and the spider (that is a spider, right?) details make it awesome!  I'd pick up the whole collection.

05-11-2016 11:24 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 621
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (10/5 2016)Fuggit Khan 05-11-2016

Beauty is in the details, and these are beautiful <3
The globe is my favorite...but I thought the world was flat?
And the drinking cup is clever Cheers!

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
05-11-2016 06:00 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (21/5 2016)Admiral 05-21-2016

@Darkmeer: Thanks! Good to hear, sir. I hope the globe is still interesting with the little update.

@Bloodbeard: Thanks! We'll start with seeing how many pieces Zealot wants to pick out, then I'll decide whether to put out all the excess in one or two kits of my own, or sprinkle them about as extras in future kits.

@Jackswift: Thank you very much! That's indeed a spider.

@Fuggit Khan: Thank you! Haha, so flat the dice in fact roll down on the floor from it. Tongue Wink

Finished Dungeon Clutter Sculpts for Zealot Miniatures

It's done, or rather, the first wave is finished. It's possible Zealot might want some more pieces later on, such as sacks, household altar and the like. They told me they were content with the current amount so I stopped when this bunch was completed this evening.

Here is the basis reference picture as it stands, blue stars for sculpted bits:

Last batch of the lot:

Close-ups, including thin landmasses and islands added to the globe as per Zealot Miniatures' request. These will be easy to scrape away:

Impaled Goblin, based on Assyrian reliefs:

Demonic portal:

And all the gang together, 3 months' worth of sculpting:

Next up, Elf Archer of ancient times!

This post was last modified: 09-11-2017 04:52 AM by Admiral.

05-21-2016 05:07 PM
Darkmeer
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (21/5 2016)Darkmeer 05-21-2016

Very cool work! Looking forward to your next project!

05-21-2016 07:58 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (21/5 2016)Admiral 05-26-2016

@Darkmeer: Thank you kindly! Here's the next one, probably to be done in tandem with some Elf daggers, swords and a stray axe:

Elf Archer of Ancient Times

Lower body scalemail finished.

This post was last modified: 09-11-2017 04:53 AM by Admiral.

05-26-2016 06:30 AM
Wildist
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 17

RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (26/5 2016)Wildist 05-26-2016

Some excellent sculpts, mr. Admiral. I would love to count on them for basing purposes as a fellow user has previously stated. If this doesn't bother you, adding some shoulderpad/head-sized bull faces would be stunning and a great way to spice some models in a dawi zharr style. Similar to the 100 skulls pack some companies offer.

Great job mate!

05-26-2016 08:16 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1245
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (26/5 2016)Nicodemus 05-26-2016

What are the plans for the daemonic portal?  Anyone lined up to cast it and put it up for sale?

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

05-26-2016 11:33 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (26/5 2016)Admiral 05-31-2016

@Alvarok: Thank you very much! That's a good idea. I'll be preoccupied with Elves this summer into autumn, then it's Zealot Miniatures dungeon sculpts again. I could see if they're interested in such bull heads by then, elsewise it'll have to wait until I return to evil Dwarfs.

@Nicodemus: They're off to Zealot along with the other dungeon clutter. Either Zealot will pick and sell the portal cast, or it'll be returned as excess overflow, in which case I'll have it cast and sell it.

Work goes forward step by step on the monopose archer. All grey stuff areas are unfinished basis:

This post was last modified: 09-11-2017 04:53 AM by Admiral.

05-31-2016 05:40 AM
Wildist
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 17

RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (31/5 2016)Wildist 05-31-2016

I'm not an elven fan, but I can appreciate the clean lines you apply when sculpting. It's probably my imagination, but in the "historical" range, shapes are more ruinous (in an entirelly good way), less defined, affected by years of being buried and undiscovered I assume (that doesn't mean a lack of detail, which is absolutely stunning). In the elven figurine it's just the contrary, being it incomplete, it looks less baroque, more like an sports car: defined lines, clean proportion.

What I wanted to say is that you infer great personality in every set of disctinct pieces, which I personally believe is something that nowadays trademarks have forgotten. Keep on with this gorgeous work, mate.

PD: when will the historical objects be available? (I'm building an achaemenid chaos dwarf force hehehe) Are you planning to sculpt some trireme parts?

05-31-2016 06:19 AM
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1245
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (31/5 2016)Nicodemus 06-01-2016

Every time I come back and look again I see some new detail or piece I didn't notice or appreciate last time. This is so many levels of awesome!! Would love to get some of these to decorate boards, models and bases with!!

~N

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

06-01-2016 12:27 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (31/5 2016)Admiral 06-29-2016

@Wildist: Thank you kindly! I agree on styles. The Elven aesthetic is akin to a sports car, though I can but hope to reach up to it in a miniature.

Currently a couple of kits for starters are in the work by Zealot Miniatures. I'll alert you here when they go up for sales, and shout about it. More kits of clutter pieces are to follow should they prove popular.

@Nicodemus: Thank you very much! Takes Hat off Besides, Zealot might cast the demon portal sooner or later, since they liked the piece. Expect some waiting time, though.

The undetailed basis for the Elf's back package is finished, and some work has gone into making the sculpt more mould-friendly with less sharp undercuts. However, when sculpting the head I've struck upon a problem, as amateurs are wont to do. With my poor eye-measurement, I simply cannot tell for myself, so I'd appreciate if you could help me out here:

Is the helmeted head too large?

Please keep in mind that if the body seems too thin in comparison, I can either bulk out the torso and limbs some before making their details, or allow those body parts' details to do the bulking-out. (The helmet's details would be done in a more delicate fashion, so as to not enlargen the headgear very much.) Is the head and body fine as is? Need the body be bulked out some? Or should the head be redone from scratch?

Advice is needed.

This post was last modified: 09-11-2017 04:54 AM by Admiral.

06-29-2016 06:50 AM
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 45
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts (29/6 2016)Dînadan 06-29-2016

Looks fine to me.  The helm is a touch conical, but that's fairly standard for elves, so I think it works.  If you'd sculpted a bare head that shape it'd be a different matter. Wink

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

06-29-2016 09:27 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Murdock's GW Miscellaneous Murdock129 16 6,763 06-19-2012 01:10 AM
Last Post: Murdock129
  Miscellaneous Miniatures Ghrask Dragh 14 5,677 04-07-2008 03:55 AM
Last Post: Balseraph
  Wallacer's Miscellaneous photos (lots of pics) wallacer 15 6,763 11-09-2007 03:49 PM
Last Post: Arlon

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites