Post Reply  Post Thread 
Excerpt from the Azzgorragead
Author MessageExcerpt from the Azzgorragead
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 49
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
Excerpt from the AzzgorrageadDînadan 07-18-2016

"...And as I descended through the Gates of Death before me lay a vast wasteland, a blasted desert haunted by the souls of the damned where the spirits of traitors and oathbreakers are staked out to be preyed upon by Hashut's forsaken spawn each night. For twelve days and twelve nights I traveled through that forsaken land before arriving at the crest of the Pit, the dark abyss where all must go.

Looking down I saw that Twelve levels there are to the Pit, one each for every level of society. The first and highest is the most populous and is where the souls of slaves go, shackled in death as they were in life, lorded over by shadowy bull-headed Daemons who whip them ceaselessly. Below that is the second level, reserved for the honoured slaves, those whose chains, both mortal and eternal, are invisible to their eyes. Next lies the third level, for the common Dawi Zharr, who are most numerous, dwelling in simple homes of stone and below that is the fourth for the Mothers, the matrons of the families honoured in death for bearing the Children of Hashut and the fifth for the Fathers, masters of the hearth and sires of all. Grander are the homes in these levels, the whims of those that dwell there catered for by Daemon thralls bound to their wills.

Below that the shadows were too dark to discern their inhabitants and so I descended into the Pit. Down I went, through the sixth where the Overlords dwell in their obsidian palaces, past the seventh where the Bull Centaurs revel in their debauchery and the eighth where the priests chant in their temples. Deeper still I went, beyond the ninth where the heroes reside, training without pause for the glories they shall reap in the End Times and beyond the tenth where the Prophets speak the word of Hashut from golden thrones atop black marble ziggurats, and so I arrived at the eleventh, the Court of the High-Priests. No further could I go, for no mortal may set foot in the twelfth,  the deepest where sits Hashut Himself on His throne, brooding and biding His time..."

- Excerpt from The Azgorragead, an epic tale by the priest Azgorrag detailing his journey to the afterlife to reclaim the soul of his family after a curse of madness cast on him by Tzeentch drove him to slay them. The validity of the tale is much debated, and the place where Azgorrag says he found the Gates of Death which allow the living to enter the realm of death is highly contested amongst Dawi Zharr scholars.

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

07-18-2016 09:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ikkred Pyrhelm
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 89
Scribe's Contest Silver Scribe's Contest - Gold x4 Scribe's Contest Veteran                               
RE: Excerpt from the AzzgorrageadIkkred Pyrhelm 07-18-2016

One of my favourites and votes in the end. Really enjoyed the Greek style mythology spin with the story. Pacing felt perfect and that ending of the deepest level was great. Steller stuff! Happy

Tales from the UnderEmpire
Avatar by ShuNian (with a bicorn added for good measure!)
07-18-2016 09:53 AM
Dînadan

Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Excerpt from the AzzgorrageadDînadan 07-18-2016

Thanks Ikkred Takes Hat off

07-18-2016 10:28 AM
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 208
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Excerpt from the AzzgorrageadCarcearion 07-18-2016

The divine comedy is hands down my favorite classical work and I loved reading this entry. You even managed to pull out a great level of weirdness that made the piece really work.  

Congratulation  Takes Hat off

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
07-18-2016 01:16 PM
Dînadan

RE: Excerpt from the AzzgorrageadDînadan 07-18-2016

Thanks Carcearion, hardest part was coming up for something for each level to make each unique.

07-18-2016 02:17 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 337
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Excerpt from the AzzgorrageadAdmiral 07-18-2016

Yep, great piece and a worthy medal-claimant!

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXXI - Deadline 16th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
07-18-2016 03:31 PM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 579
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Excerpt from the AzzgorrageadJackswift 07-21-2016

Well laid out, and a great style to use for the entry.  One of the best entries fitting to the theme!  Cheers!

07-21-2016 11:35 AM
Dînadan

RE: Excerpt from the AzzgorrageadDînadan 07-21-2016

Thanks Jackswift

07-21-2016 03:06 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Excerpt re "The Doom of the Stonebreaker" from Jedak's "Tome of Betrayals" Jackswift 4 1,823 01-07-2016 12:54 PM
Last Post: Fuggit Khan

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites