Post Reply  Post Thread 
"I will tell you this: there is no afterlife"
Author Message"I will tell you this: there is no afterlife"
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 556
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
"I will tell you this: there is no afterlife"Fuggit Khan 07-25-2016

My entry from the Scribes Contest VIII:

Just a young beardling coming of age, Sin-shar-Ashkad was now allowed for the first time to accompany his father and the other patriarchs of his clan to their family mausoleum in Zharr-Naggrund. His clan was preparing again to march to war against the lesser races of the west, and per tradition for the past 400 years, the leaders of his clan would visit the great ziggurat mausoleum of their clan, in order to reclaim a mighty token of war. It was the family heirloom of the mighty Ashkad family, and tradition was that this heirloom was the reason that their clan had never lost a war.

The numerous petrified stone statues of long dead Sorcerer priests from other clans lining the streets in Zharr-Naggrund had made an impression on the young Sin-shar-Ashkad... and while ascending the 666 steps to the top of their family mausoleum, he asked his father about them. His father, an undefeated veteran of numerous wars against the weaker races, laughed in contempt.

“They would have you believe in an afterlife,” he said. “I will tell you this: there is no afterlife. No heaven, no God, no paradise after death.”

Sin-shar-Ashkad was puzzled. ”But there are Gods! Hashut, Khorne, numerous others!”

With a grin that reflected pragmatic wisdom, his father replied: “They are not true Gods in any sense of the word... They are beings of immense power when compared to us. Nothing more. If you were marooned on a small island, and the only other inhabitants on the island were ants, you would be the God of that world. One stomp of your foot would devastate their anthills, killing thousands of them in a single whim. A swipe of your hand would topple their great forests, but just mere weeds to you. They would fear you and offer you any sort of appeasement that they could muster, to gain your favor. And they would only want to buy your favor, so as to promote and strengthen their own wants and needs. With their needs fulfilled, does that make you a God? Or does that make you easily bought with mere words and their pittance of offerings? Are you so weak that you need smaller beings offering prayer and appeasement to you? That does not make you or anyone a God.”

Sin-shar-Ashkad could not find fault with his father’s logic, and asked: “So there truly is no afterlife?”

“Perhaps you should reflect more on what happens to you after your life, as opposed to the idea of an afterlife itself,” his father replied.

Sin-shar-Ashkad thought about this as they reached the top of the 666 steps, and watched his father unlock the massive stone-cut doors to the mausoleum with an ancestral key made of obsidian and copper.

Looking to his father, Sin-shar-Ashkad asked: “If I am dead, and there is no afterlife, then what choice could possibly happen after my life?”

His father looked at him, and replied: “Wealth is fleeting. It cannot be taken with you once you die. Let the weaker Dawi Zharr clans covet wealth. Let them line the streets with stone statues of their dead kin, only to be shat upon by the black ash pigeons that perch atop them. Ask yourself... how do you want to be after your life?”

Sin-shar-Ashkad thought for a moment, and then answered: “The weaknesses of our enemies are an affront to my family, I live now only to see them killed. So my wish after my death would be to continue to see them killed by my kin and descendants.”

His father smiled approvingly.

His father then unlocked the mighty obsidian casket of their family founder, the great warrior Zharr-Ashkad himself. Reaching into the casket, Sin-shar-Ashkad’s father lifted out the family heirloom... the skull of Zharr-Ashkad himself.

The skull gleamed with inlaid runes of copper, the eye sockets stared contemptuously with pupils of polished obsidian. Mounting the skull atop the family battle standard, Sin-shar-Ashkad’s father and the other clan patriarchs all read aloud the runes embossed upon the skull, the final words of their founding father: “To see my enemies slain before me, in my life, and after my life.”

And Sin-shar-Ashkad knew then the true meaning of “afterlife.”

There was life after death, it was the memory of your life and deeds, carried forth with honour by your family.

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
07-25-2016 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ikkred Pyrhelm
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 86
Scribe's Contest Silver Scribe's Contest - Gold x4 Scribe's Contest Veteran                               
RE: "I will tell you this: there is no afterlife"Ikkred Pyrhelm 07-25-2016

If I remember rightly, this entry was a dead cert for the last of my votes. I found myself maybe a little jealous that I hadn't thought of doing anything like your clever twisting of the theme into a deep and true to form story. Really great work! Happy

Tales from the UnderEmpire
Avatar by ShuNian (with a bicorn added for good measure!)
07-25-2016 06:54 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 261
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: "I will tell you this: there is no afterlife"Admiral 07-27-2016

So damn good. A sneaky stab at the competition, too!

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXX - Deadline 6th of July ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
07-27-2016 01:07 PM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 556
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: "I will tell you this: there is no afterlife"Fuggit Khan 07-28-2016

Ikkred Pyrhelm Wrote:
I found myself maybe a little jealous that I hadn't thought of doing anything like your clever twisting of the theme into a deep and true to form story. Really great work! Happy

Thank you good sir, but you have nothing to be jealous of...your own storytelling is quite remarkable Takes Hat off

Admiral Wrote:
So damn good. A sneaky stab at the competition, too!

Thank you, but truth be told, there was never any intent to take a stab at the fine competition...but I admit that my atheist views might have led to an unintended stab to the thought of an afterlife Wink

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
07-28-2016 11:46 AM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 573
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: "I will tell you this: there is no afterlife"Jackswift 07-28-2016

A good read, an interesting take on the subject matter, and well written.  Nicely done!

07-28-2016 12:31 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: "I will tell you this: there is no afterlife"Bloodbeard 07-29-2016

Excellent little piece. And what a great way on after life. And Gods.

07-29-2016 03:42 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites