- Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blog
Author Message- Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blog
sam585
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 199

- Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blogsam585 08-16-2016

Hello, and welcome to my new blog. I dropped off after Age of Sigmar decimated my local community. I took my old Chaos Dwarfs and played around a little bit with both kings of war and Age of Sigmar systems, but later shelved my Chaos Dwarfs completely, the game just was not the same. Then just a few months ago, my home burned down, and I lost my painted chaos dwarfs and most of everything else in the fire. In addition, I learned that a local game club is going to host their yearly monster mash fantasy tournament (they did not do this year before) and use the ninth age rule set. Thus I felt it was the perfect time to start a new blog, for my Ninth Age chaos dwarfs!

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction, updates to follow soon.

2017 Image Salvage

This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 03:22 PM by Admiral.

08-16-2016 12:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sam585
Bull Centaur

RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blogsam585 08-16-2016

First update to my blog, my purchase for the new army.

It took me quite some time to finally decide on what exactly I wanted to get. The Ninth Age has changed so much on how our army performs, and added alot of new units but this is the list that I have come up with:

++Prophet++ (255 points) Purchased
Infernal weapon
Hardened Shield
Talisman of Shielding
Wand of Stability
undecided on spell lore

++Overlord++ (228 points) Purchased
Shield
Infernal Weapon
Skullsplitter Sorcerer
Dragonmantle
Gemstone

-483 points in lords-

++Vizier BSB++ (177 points) Purchased
Tricksters helm
Shield
Dawnstone
infernal weapon

++Hobgoblin Khan++ 82pts Pending
Wolf
Lucky Shield
Light Armor
Hero Sword

--259 points--

[28]Firegalives- 506 points Purchased
FCMD
Granite Standard

[20] Hobgoblins -105 Pending
Shields, Handweapoms, Bows
Musician

--611--

[19] Ironsworn 320 pts Purchased
FCMD
Razor Standard

--320--

325 pts K'daii Pending
--325--

Total:

I always loved infernal guard, but running them before proved uneconomical, and they were generally pretty bad. But now, we have a combat lord that gives his unit hatred. BS 4 Infernal Guard, cheaper ironsworn, we no longer suffer stand and shoot penalties, a charge bonus, and a K'daii with a 5+ armor save and 4++ ward. Thus I went with what I know, and also what I liked. The general idea for this army is to advance onto the enemy shooting away with that very nice BS4, covering the K'daii's advance. Additionally the Hobgoblin Khan will provide a decent amount of support for the big beast boasting 4 strength 5 attacksEvil idea.

For all the pending models, I have to check if I was lucky enough to have stored those models at my local shop and not my home.

08-16-2016 01:28 AM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogBloodbeard 08-16-2016

Burned down! Dammit... Did insurance get you a new army?

Welcome back, looking forward to following your army build, it was a pleasure the last time.

08-16-2016 01:39 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 366
Golden Hat - Bronze x3 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best General - 2017                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogTheHoodedMan 08-16-2016

Glad you`re taking the chance to build a new army Cheers!.
Probably your list will not completely stay as it is but all models are a very good base for building a force.

08-16-2016 02:19 AM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 1154
Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogMalorndk 08-16-2016

House fires sucks!
Glad to have you back sam!

Army blog - Army Showcase - Project Banners - Legendary Battle
08-16-2016 09:24 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 714
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogSkink 08-16-2016

What the others said, and kudos for getting back on your feet mate Cheers!. Can't wait to see your army.

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!
08-16-2016 09:37 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogFuggit Khan 08-16-2016

Welcome back Takes Hat off

sam585 Wrote:
Then just a few months ago, my home burned down, and I lost my painted chaos dwarfs and most of everything else in the fire.

Man, that sucks. But I can't help but wonder if metal mini's would survive a fire? Anyways, again, welcome back Cheers!

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
08-16-2016 01:57 PM
sam585
Bull Centaur

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
Man, that sucks. But I can't help but wonder if metal mini's would survive a fire? Anyways, again, welcome back Cheers!

Not this fire, it melted my airbrush lol.

08-16-2016 02:29 PM
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 210
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogCarcearion 08-16-2016

Man, welcome back to the hobby. Best of luck on your heroic return to Chaos Dwarves. If your at all interested we are also a strong army in Kings of War.

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
08-16-2016 03:38 PM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 620
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogJackswift 08-16-2016

Welcome back.  Sorry to hear re the fire, not a fun situation.  Looks like a good start to your new army!

08-16-2016 06:02 PM
sam585
Bull Centaur

To my surprise I found these treasures.

I remember using them earlier in the year
the blue slaughterbrute for testing out my airbrush and the goblins were primed for kings of war but never happened to finish them. Additionally 2 of my khans, my most favorite khans, also found their way into the box.  So now I have all the pending models, and something to paint up while I wait for my other dwarfs. I think I will do the slaughterbrute first as my K'daii.

08-16-2016 10:09 PM
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 210
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogCarcearion 08-17-2016

Great find man! Figures if someone snuck off and escaped it would be those cowardly gits Tongue Wink

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
08-17-2016 11:12 AM
sam585
Bull Centaur

RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blogsam585 08-18-2016

Here is my first painted (repainted) model for my ninth age army. A Kadim Titan (K'daii destroyer) I painted it mostly with an airbrush .30 mm Iwata eclipse, going back with a fine brush with just black to add more contrasting highlights to make him pop a little bit more. The actual model is a slaughterbrute with the optional head, the horn like bit comes from the mutalith vortex, vortex part, it is a pretty nice bit since it already has flames coming off of it. The other flames i sculpted with "grey" stuff, it was a much harder more durable epoxy and kept the shape of flames better.

My dwarfs should arrive Tuesday, I am going to try to get to the hobgoblins this weekend Evil idea

08-18-2016 03:27 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 366
Golden Hat - Bronze x3 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best General - 2017                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogTheHoodedMan 08-18-2016

A really great start to your new army, superb to see.
I think the airbrush is fine for monsters and the like. The colors blend very soft.
Cheers!

08-18-2016 03:50 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 587
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogAdmiral 08-18-2016

Nice job on the titan! Sad to hear of the house fire, but jolly fine that you're recovering with a bounce to relaunch your evil dwarf efforts. Best of luck. Takes Hat off

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
08-18-2016 03:05 PM
sam585
Bull Centaur

RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blogsam585 08-23-2016

WiP of my Hobgoblin unit.

So far painted with only washes, have been quite busy working on commissions for other people, but managed to get the base of these models done Happy

Primed with the army painter, and then colored with washes. The Legion of Azgorh should land on my doorstep tomorrow.

08-23-2016 03:35 AM
Pappa Midnight
Bull Centaur

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 491
Scribe's Contest Silver Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2016 Golden Hat - Silver x2 Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2017                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogPappa Midnight 08-23-2016

Sad to hear of the fire at your house. It's quite a fear of mine ( not for my stuff which can be replaced but for my dogs and parrot).
Excellent work on the big beasty. I never really got on with airbrushes and I suppose I'm a little stuck in my ways to change. Those Hobgoblins look like they're going to be cracking as well.
Just one thing, have you got a lighter picture of the big fella?

Regards
PM

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.
08-23-2016 07:41 AM
sam585
Bull Centaur

RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blogsam585 08-25-2016

I went ahead and edited the photo of the K'daii to take out the darkness of the model, this is pretty much what it looks like in person. Big Grin

Additionally the Hobgoblins have been completed, and based.  I am glad I only had 20 to paint, these things were pretty boring.

(These came out really dark, I will fix it next time)

And lastly my Legion has arrived, building them up now, and hopefully a game on friday.

08-25-2016 04:05 AM
Pappa Midnight
Bull Centaur

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 491
Scribe's Contest Silver Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2016 Golden Hat - Silver x2 Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2017                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogPappa Midnight 08-25-2016

That lighter picture of the K'daii confirmed what I thought.......VERY NICE INDEED! I love the smooth colours you can get using an airbrush ( I might have to give the airbrush another go but I have got a feeling that I'll be sticking to brushes)
I like the choice of colours on the Hobgoblins. They look like a proper rag-tag "slave race" rather than a neat regimented unit.
Interesting that you undercoated the CD's in silver as I've started to do this to save time. Look forward to seeing them finished.
Regards
PM

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.
08-25-2016 06:55 AM
sam585
Bull Centaur

RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blogsam585 08-25-2016

Pappa Midnight Wrote:
That lighter picture of the K'daii confirmed what I thought.......VERY NICE INDEED! I love the smooth colours you can get using an airbrush ( I might have to give the airbrush another go but I have got a feeling that I'll be sticking to brushes)

Airbrush is nice, I am just now getting the hang of it. The hardest part about doing the airbrush is cleaning it (cleaning takes up most of your painting time) that and getting the hang of mauvering your model to minimize overspray. I had to force myself to use it when I first got it, but it was worth it, you can do some awesome things with an airbrush, that would be too difficult to replicate with a brush.

08-25-2016 02:42 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rolleyes risen from the ashes [20/9/14 picture updates] torn 57 16,092 10-12-2014 10:14 AM
Last Post: Kera foehunter
Wink INCOMING! Dawi Zharr rising! Group shot of the WIP mess Beardroller 17 7,948 12-21-2009 11:26 AM
Last Post: Beardroller

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites