- Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blog
Author Message- Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blog
sam585
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 199

RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blogsam585 09-01-2016

Between painting commissions and trying to do chaos dwarfs, its hard to keep the blog updated. However I was smart enough to take a few pictures of my progress. I painted all the infernal guard, the basic colors that is. I will go back and do bases, eye slots, shoulder runes, beards, etc later. I went ahead and copied my chaos dwarfs original armor color from a year ago (before I repainted them) it was always my favorite look for them.

Next up here is a W.I.P of a infernal artillery (Flame Cannon) possessed warmachine. Used the new 40k chaos dred monster and swapped the legs with its power fist arms and used the hooves from the maggoth lord box for the feet.

And here is a photo of the army on the field. Still not done, detail work to come.

I lost this battle, but I blame it on not actually calculating my army (had points for a dispel scroll, and needed one turn 2) but still was able to pull out a very valiant defeat.

09-01-2016 04:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogFuggit Khan 09-01-2016

Your army has made an impressive comeback in short time, well done! And I'm particularly interested in your kit-bash of the Infernal Artillery possessed war machine. A very different take on the flame cannon to be sure...do you have more WIP pics of it you can share with us? I like it Cheers!

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
09-01-2016 12:04 PM
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 210
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogCarcearion 09-01-2016

Wow really great and quick progress restoring your army! Your Infernal guard look awesome! At this rate you'll have a full army again in no time.

I'm kind of curious about your opponents beastmen though, whats with the zombie dragon and custom cannon chariot?

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
09-01-2016 02:01 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogBloodbeard 09-01-2016

That's some quickly painted infernal guard.

Didn't you repaint your last army to win the best painted army trophy? Went for those cartoon sharp colours you didn't really like?

09-01-2016 02:12 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sam585
Bull Centaur

Carcearion Wrote:
I'm kind of curious about your opponents beastmen though, whats with the zombie dragon and custom cannon chariot?

Zombie dragon is a jabberslythe proxy, the chariot is a beast chariot proxy. The large monsters were just base fillers for minotaurs.

@bloodbeard yes I did do that, and after crushing my local group in paint scores and placing in a GT I was satisfied, now I save my fancy paint jobs for money and do the style I like on my own stuff : )

@Fuggit I did not take any more pics, but I'll take some close ups of it painted for you to see the spots I changed more clearly.

Thank you all gor the comments, and for looking!

09-01-2016 04:42 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 588
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogAdmiral 09-01-2016

A quick revival! Blessings of the airbrush? Neat looking army at any rate. Good to hear you're pursuing the style you like best again. Happy

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
09-01-2016 04:43 PM
sam585
Bull Centaur

Admiral Wrote:
A quick revival! Blessings of the airbrush? Neat looking army at any rate. Good to hear you're pursuing the style you like best again. Happy

Yea pretty much, it took me 4.5 hours to paint 54 infernal guard and 3 demonsmiths (armor base, wash, straps, glow on ironsworn weapons, and weathering on feets) Then another hour to do the eye slots and shoulder runes. Likely a half hour left for beards Happy

09-01-2016 07:05 PM
Bloodbeard

Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogBloodbeard 09-02-2016

That's insane and well worth some slaves!

09-02-2016 01:28 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sam585
Bull Centaur

RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age Blogsam585 09-12-2016

Big update.
I have been working a lot on commissions, my chaos dwarfs, and playing the ninth age. Luckily I have been snapping photos with my phone to keep track of major developments.

For my infernal guard, I added some blue to the eyes and shoulder runes to give the models a little more to look at. I recently shipped them off to one of my friends to apply a highlight to the armor plates for me (just to damn busy!). The symbols on the shields are taken from chaos space marine transfers, which were then blended into the shield.

Here is my siege giant based on the new plastic bloodthirster. I decided on adding this unit due to have a different monster from K'daii. I wanted my giant to look like my infernals to a degree, thus the helmet.

I slightly modified the khorne runes to make them chaos dwarf runes. And greenstuffed over things that were a little to khorne. Additionally I had to fix the gigantic wing holes left on the base model.

And finally

this mawcrusha shall now be my great tarus. I purchased this beast when it was first released, but had no use for it.However, I discovered recently that he nicely fits on a great bale tarus base.

The throne/saddle/platform was made from left over bloodthirster bits and lots of greenstuff. Luckily the chain hammer is the perfect sized platform that it fits snugly on the mawcrusha head. Additionally the other side of the hammer makes an excellent back end of a throne.

The great horns were taken from the gorgon sprue. Additional modifications were done to the mawcrushas face adding large tusks, and lips which hung open due to the tusks size giving it a pretty beastily appearance imho.

Lastly, this wont be the rider, but as we can see, a chaos dwarf fits nicely on the platform.

09-12-2016 02:14 AM
Bloodbeard

RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogBloodbeard 09-12-2016

Very nice update Sam! It's some very brutal big monsters there. Those will look good finished.

09-12-2016 03:19 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1715
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogAbecedar 09-12-2016

Brilliant use as a Bale Taurus.  My compliments Sir.

Last Time(s) I Bled for my Hobby  =  Fri 13th March 2020
27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time(s) I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
09-12-2016 04:46 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogFuggit Khan 09-12-2016

Brilliant conversion idea for the mawcrusher...I'm not a fan of the FW taurus and I think your model here is much better. Very, very nice. And a nice touch with the decals on the shields too  Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
09-12-2016 03:18 PM
Pappa Midnight
Bull Centaur

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 491
Scribe's Contest Silver Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2016 Golden Hat - Silver x2 Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2017                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogPappa Midnight 09-13-2016

Amazing work output! I probably work at about 1/10th of your speed......
Really loving that Bloodthirster conversion. I didn't realise exactly how big it was and it works well as a giant.
Looking forward to seeing the Mawcrusher finished.
Regards
PM

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.
09-13-2016 06:19 AM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 620
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogJackswift 09-13-2016

I like where you have gone with the Mawcrusher and the Bloodthirster.  Great revised versions, and the conversion work is virtually seamless.  Look forward to seeing more!

09-13-2016 11:13 AM
Azazel
Slave

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 5

RE: - Rising from the Ashes -  A Ninth Age BlogAzazel 12-19-2016

sam585 Wrote:
Between painting commissions and trying to do chaos dwarfs, its hard to keep the blog updated. However I was smart enough to take a few pictures of my progress. I painted all the infernal guard, the basic colors that is. I will go back and do bases, eye slots, shoulder runes, beards, etc later. I went ahead and copied my chaos dwarfs original armor color from a year ago (before I repainted them) it was always my favorite look for them.

Hey mate. I really like the burnished metal effect that you've achieved here. How did you go about creating it and which colours did you use?

12-19-2016 02:12 AM
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rolleyes risen from the ashes [20/9/14 picture updates] torn 57 16,290 10-12-2014 10:14 AM
Last Post: Kera foehunter
Wink INCOMING! Dawi Zharr rising! Group shot of the WIP mess Beardroller 17 7,997 12-21-2009 11:26 AM
Last Post: Beardroller

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites