Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   Artisan's Contest XX
Author MessageArtisan's Contest XX
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 574
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
Artisan's Contest XXAdmiral 08-31-2016

...and carved into the rocks were graven images of tyrannical figures and heinous scenes...

Dark Art Studios Presents: Artisan's Contest XX!

Concept Art Challenge

The goal here is to create a piece of concept art of something Chaos Dwarfen by drawing, sketching or painting it (i.e. no miniature entries). Digital tools are allowed, and some scribblings as seen on many concept sketches are likewise allowed, but please keep any text amount low. The amount of work invested in the art entry can vary from a simple sketch up to a full-blown illustration.

Grab the opportunity for a new take on a Chaos Dwarf warrior, or to design a Sorcerer-Prophet, a new kind of Lammasu or some never-before-seen infernal contraption! Show us old weaponry redesigned in your way, or entirely new inventions. Draw Hobgoblins and slave chain gang rabble if you feel like it, or your version of K'daai and other shackled Daemons. Come up with concepts for evil dwarves from other settings if you wish. Show us your vision of the 9th Age Disciples of Lugar. Have an idea for a new kind of big hat? Put it down on paper! Be creative and let loose your originality!

The scope is wide and concepts of Chaos Dwarf architecture, open-pit slave mines, war caravans on the march, altars, domestic homes and similar things are welcome. Your one contest picture may include any number of related or unrelated objects, but note that clarity and a strong theme (e.g. one or a few sketches revolving all around some kind of Daemonsmith or torturer) will aid your entry in the voting.

Prize

Dark Art Studious has kindly donated this unpainted miniature of Goretrek the Chaos Dwarf for the gold winner!

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM Admiral or Bloodbeard and they will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Deadline

The deadline for the submission of entries is September 27th 2016 at 11:59pm EST.

Rules of the Competition

Each member may only enter once.

Sketch, draw, paint and use digital tools to come up with a concept image of Chaos Dwarfs.

Submissions should include one picture only. Your one picture with concept art may contain any number of objects, figures and scenes. No overlaid words of explanation please.

You may not submit a picture of a drawing or painting that have been entered into other online competitions or posted in a finished state before.

Don't post your entries in the forum before the contest is over.

See also the General Rules & Guidelines.

How to Enter?

Submit your entry by sending a PM to Staff (a special user that all Staff have access to) with one link or image of your entry. Please do not send an e-mail to any of the admin or staff accounts as this is a sure fire way to have your entry missed.

How will this be judged?

Sometime after September 27th we will post all entries to a new thread and voting can commence!

Good luck everyone!
The Staff

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXV - Voting Deadline 13th of September ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 05:01 PM by Admiral.

08-31-2016 02:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 49
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXDînadan 08-31-2016

Very interesting theme - looking forward to the diversity in the entries it'll generate Happy

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

08-31-2016 02:57 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1496
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXAbecedar 08-31-2016

Do I have to keep the colour in between the lines?

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
08-31-2016 04:41 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXAdmiral 08-31-2016

Surely not. One doesn't even have to do that in Golden Hat. Wink

Keeping colours inside the lines, or even lines inside the lines, has never been one of my own strengths. Thank the gods for rubber erasers and acrylic colours.

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXV - Voting Deadline 13th of September ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
08-31-2016 04:56 AM
Dînadan

Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXDînadan 08-31-2016

Admiral Wrote:

Keeping colours inside the lines, or even lines inside the lines, has never been one of my own strengths. Thank the gods for rubber erasers and acrylic colours.

Try doing it digitally - comes with this handy 'undo' feature Wink

08-31-2016 05:02 AM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 1153
Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXMalorndk 08-31-2016

Dînadan Wrote:

Admiral Wrote:

Try doing it digitally - comes with this handy 'undo' feature Wink

Digitally sadly also tends to invoke the perfection gene, often making drawings from us amateurs look too clean. The pros can handle it, I cannot. A gritty pencil sketch with some colors added either waterbased or digitally is probably a good way for us noobs to try our luck

Army blog - Army Showcase - Project Banners - Legendary Battle
08-31-2016 07:54 AM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXBloodbeard 08-31-2016

I intend to carve out my sketch in a rock with a hammer and chissel! Go true dwarf on this!

08-31-2016 10:55 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Forgefire
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 402
Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXForgefire 08-31-2016

Great theme! Looking forward to see everyones demented ideas Wink

Bloodbeard: Haha thats dedication!

08-31-2016 11:19 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Wooden carvings and stonework fresques are of course allowed. Big Grin

This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 01:08 PM by Admiral.

08-31-2016 01:08 PM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 577
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXJackswift 08-31-2016

Ha.  I just realized that for some reason, my brain was skipping over the 'Concept Art' phrasing every time I looked at this and instead reading this as a basic hey do some artwork.  A piece of 'Concept Art' is a much more specific thing... Will have to think on it... one of those contests that evokes an 'Aw, I have to limit it to just one?' response...

This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 05:46 PM by Jackswift.

08-31-2016 05:44 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Clarification: We won't be much picky on the limits here. It could be a full-blown illustration if one wants, we'll simply trust that the intention is to break new ground (which will be obvious somewhere in the image). Some are less, some are more familiar with the concept art form, and we have nothing to gain from being too strict where it isn't necessary. As for number of concepts you can fit any number of them you want into your one image/picture/file/link to be sent to Staff, we leave that up to the participants' judgement by and large. But the concept/s will benefit if they have a strong theme they all revolve around, so a lot of random concepts on a page are less likely to strike a chord then a few all about a single character, thing or event. More won't necessarily be an advantage.

Have fun. Happy

08-31-2016 06:12 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXAbecedar 08-31-2016

Jackswift Wrote:
Ha.  I just realized that for some reason, my brain was skipping over the 'Concept Art' phrasing every time I looked at this and instead reading this as a basic hey do some artwork.  A piece of 'Concept Art' is a much more specific thing... Will have to think on it... one of those contests that evokes an 'Aw, I have to limit it to just one?' response...

Same here. But literally anything else may be too hard for me.

Rules Quote - "The amount of work invested in the art entry can vary from a simple sketch up to a full-blown illustration". - Unquote.

For those who remember my Artisans No 14 entry. A 2D piece of Cd Artwork.  I chose a theme of "Graffitti". All will know that "simple sketch" could be described as beyond my skill level.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.

This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 11:50 PM by Abecedar.

08-31-2016 11:49 PM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Slaves: 625
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXFuggit Khan 09-01-2016

Abecedar Wrote:
Do I have to keep the colour in between the lines?

Hahahahaha! I do remember your previous AC entry of beans and farting Wink

Jackswift Wrote:
A piece of 'Concept Art' is a much more specific thing...

Yep, true to be sure. I love Concept Artwork sketches, they really show a 'process' of thinking and idea's gradually coming together to be fleshed out into a final definitive design/artwork.
I'm hoping to see Concept Art sketches (even though it seems the sky is the limit for submissions?).
And I think the Golden Medal should be awarded to Forgefire right now, just to save time Wink

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
09-01-2016 12:13 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XXAdmiral 09-01-2016

Yes, the sky is the limit. At the end of the day we won't be picky enough to turn down a splendid novel piece of art. Sure, most people here has probably seen GW's concept sketches in WD and similar pieces, yet some concept artwork gets highly refined. You could e.g. have three attempts at a CD warrior concept, each more advanced than the latter, showing the thinking process complete with different combat poses, armour and side doodles of equipment detail. The third attempt could be a fully fleshed out painting to finalize the concept. All in one picture.

Feel free to check out Weta Workshop's concept artwork (sketches, paintings, digitals and clay sculptures) for Lotr and the Hobbit, and you'll see why we'd have a hard time to turn down actual concept art that would work just as well as an illustration. Where do one draw the upper line? Simply, one don't.

Likewise, centering the theme on concept artwork rather than illustrations as such allows people not much at home with advanced techniques to go full out at concept sketches for new CD designs. (Many who would gladly sketch out ideas for a project and scribble down thoughts wouldn't necessarily try to illustrate their final idea in an advanced way.) It's all intended for maximum yields and wide participation besides being a creativity drive, so to speak. Plus this way ingenious new concepts fleshed out in a mundane way may compete quite well with mundane concepts fleshed out in a more advanced way. (We know that numerous voters rewards creativity in before they'd reward quality of execution in Artisan's voting, as evident in PMs.) Happy

Various examples of Lotr concept art in various stages and on various levels from sketches to veritable illustration pieces:

Elrond, Thorin's company invading Bilbo's Hobbit hole, Gondorian, Orc dress, Olog-hai, Haradrim, squid, Elf quiver, hunting knife, Gil-Galad, Thror, Warg rider, Shire, Shelob spins, Shelob sting, Shelob attack, Troll helmets, Dwarf equipment, Dwarf weaponry, lakeman.

And this one from some Dracula movie, informing a key scene.

Likewise, much of the published Warhammer Online concept artwork was by and large finished to a very high level and could sometimes have doubled straight off as illustrations. Yet it all drew out new design ideas and worked with concepts.

Also, while we could've themed this Artisan's say on non-coloured concept sketches only, it will probably be quite a while before the next artwork contest comes around, so let's grab the chance for some open house. I'll have sketches included in my attempt at an entry for sure, and who knows maybe also something more colourful at the end process of the design tinkering?

The race is on, gentlemen!

This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 04:44 PM by Admiral.

09-01-2016 12:31 PM
Dînadan

RE: Artisan's Contest XXDînadan 09-04-2016

Just had a great idea, hopefully my meagre artistic skills can do my imagination justice Happy

09-04-2016 05:23 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Artisan's Contest XXAbecedar 09-04-2016

I need help with stuff.  
One picture.  But does it have to be a photo?
I know how to scan something as either pdf or photo, so I guess A4 will be my choice of size for a hand drawn entry.
But as to digital means all my apps etc are failures, well maybe its me.
and I have no idea of how electronic drawings are formatted and how they size things.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
09-04-2016 06:44 AM
Dînadan

RE: Artisan's Contest XXDînadan 09-04-2016

Abecedar Wrote:
I need help with stuff.  
One picture.  But does it have to be a photo?
I know how to scan something as either pdf or photo, so I guess A4 will be my choice of size for a hand drawn entry.
But as to digital means all my apps etc are failures, well maybe its me.
and I have no idea of how electronic drawings are formatted and how they size things.

I think you can scan it in, save as a jpeg and then use photobucket or the like to upload it like you would you usual entries.

09-04-2016 07:33 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XXAdmiral 09-04-2016

Dînadan is correct.

09-04-2016 03:01 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Artisan's Contest XXAbecedar 09-04-2016

Thanks.  I'm pretty sure thats what I did last time.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
09-04-2016 07:41 PM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 294
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXTheHoodedMan 09-05-2016

How is it with text/ notes in the entry?

09-05-2016 03:12 AM
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Artisan's Contest XXV - Winners! Admiral 11 198 09-15-2018 10:22 PM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Artisan's Contest  XXV Admiral 26 1,468 09-15-2018 12:52 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Artisan's Contest XXV - Voting! Admiral 10 327 09-13-2018 02:17 PM
Last Post: Admiral