Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (9): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9
Author MessageHod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1539
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfstjub 10-11-2016

Id much prefer the yellow one...

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

10-11-2016 12:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 158
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsAdmiral 10-11-2016

You might wish to mix in yellow somewhere if purple, black and red is going to be used. Perhaps yellow cloth trim dags?

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXIX - Voting Deadline 18th of January  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
10-11-2016 02:27 PM
Slavemaster Hod
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 149
Scribe's Contest Silver Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsSlavemaster Hod 10-12-2016

Admiral Wrote:
You might wish to mix in yellow somewhere if purple, black and red is going to be used. Perhaps yellow cloth trim dags?

I really like that idea of yellow with the purple. I'll have to try that.

Hod's Dawi Zharr

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's CoolMiniOrNot Gallery

Hod's Sisters of the Burning Cross (Sisters of Battle 40K)
10-12-2016 09:33 AM
Slavemaster Hod
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsSlavemaster Hod 10-15-2016

Got back to my paints a few days ago, and the first thing I did was get to painting my first CD. The night I got home I pulled out my raw metal tall hats to take a look at exactly what I had. I knew I was going to do the tall hat axemen first and I noticed that I had three of the same axemen for four different types of axemen, and inspiration hit. I had been having a hard time deciding on a color scheme and seeing that I had three sets of four, I thought, why not do three different color schemes and have my lore involve something to do with three clans run a single keep. Each different color scheme will represent the clan that the dwarf came from. I get really bored painting the same thing over and over, so this really felt right to me.

I've started with the first clan's color scheme, and of course I had to start with the classic. This this guy I'm posting below has had his base coat and initial shading done on the entire thing. For both Red and Flesh, I have brought both them up to an almost done place (minus the final highlight of white, or close to white). It wasn't my intention to make the red look so fiery, but once it started, I kind of liked it and kept the feeling going.

Let me know what you guys think.

Hod's Dawi Zharr

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

10-15-2016 01:38 PM
Darkmeer
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 116

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsDarkmeer 10-15-2016

I really like this one.  It's different than the norm, and is a great start!

10-15-2016 02:11 PM
Miasma
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 156
Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsMiasma 10-15-2016

I love that fiery red a nice current take and the classic design. Its a nice skin tone as well a unit done like this would look fantasic. How would you do the base and metals?

5th Edition Chaos Dwarf Army Log
Eeeew Elves
10-15-2016 03:18 PM
Slavemaster Hod
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Miasma Wrote:
I love that fiery red a nice current take and the classic design. Its a nice skin tone as well a unit done like this would look fantasic. How would you do the base and metals?

Thanks, that's what I was going for.

All my bases are blasted green stone (like a barren warpstone landscape). This is anticipation of my grand plan for all my minis, which is a glass coffee table where all my armies are fighting each other.

I'm going to do my golds (NMM) and my silvers (Metallic). This is a weird combo you don't see very often, but I just really like my golds in NMM, but I really don't mind the look of the silver metallics.

I actually just took a new pic with the gold done. In this pic, the only color I haven't done anything with yet is the silver, besides that, everything is only a highlight away from being done.

Hod's Dawi Zharr

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

10-15-2016 05:28 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1705
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsAbecedar 10-15-2016

I'm jealous. Thats a nice scheme.  The balance with the blue is good, IMO any more blue would be too much.
Good idea with the different hats being different clans.  Only problem that I can see is that it will mean all the upper rankers in the 4th Ed models  (Leaders, Heros and Lords) being from the Flat Top Hat clan.
The fluff for the different paint schemes in my "Alliance" is just that the clans are divided between different model ranges.

By the way, Where do you hale from?

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-15-2016 05:51 PM
Slavemaster Hod
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

I'm in the southwest US. A mountainous desert wasteland that any dawi zharr would appreciate.

Hod's Dawi Zharr

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

10-15-2016 06:04 PM
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 210
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsCarcearion 10-15-2016

Oooh very good job, he looks great!

I love what you did with the shield, the gold arrows coming out the top of the head transform it into something a little dawi zharr as opposed to just chaos.

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
10-15-2016 09:58 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 1154
Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsMalorndk 10-15-2016

You are obviously a gifted painter. The crispness of this model is super good with great effects in the highlights.

Your color scheme is really classic (Maybe lacks some black in it to be truly classic) but the fiery red is a modern twist on it.
The blue is great as the surprise color, and a unit made like this will look really good on the board. I wouldn't shy away from making small differences in the models in the same unit, by replacing some of the blue on around 50% of the models, with small areas of green or purple, just to make the unit as a whole pop.

Another consideration you could do is the beards. The Chaos Dwarfs are among the wealthiest societies and they can easily spare the expense to dye their beards to intimidate the opponents. Always keep most of them black, but some could roll with brown, white, blue or purple beards. The blue and purple ones could either be black with some highlights in said color, or painted all the way from base color to highlight in said colors. This would remove tediousness of beard, and bring variety as a whole to the army. If you want to this, you shouldn't scare at the first few "weird beards". The are going to look stunning as a unit, and moreso as an army.

Anyway I'm excited no matter what you do. You have the skill and the passion to pull of something remarkable, and I will be sure to read along <3

Army blog - Army Showcase - Project Banners - Legendary Battle
10-15-2016 09:59 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1539
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfstjub 10-16-2016

Great effect!

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

10-16-2016 04:16 AM
Grimbold Blackhammer
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 175
Best General - 2012 Scribe's Contest Silver Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsGrimbold Blackhammer 10-16-2016

You've done justice to a great, old mini.  Good job!!

Grimbold Blackhammer

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/
10-16-2016 08:37 AM
Forgefire
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 387
Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsForgefire 10-16-2016

Beatifully painted! Looking forward to see even more Happy

10-16-2016 05:05 PM
Bassman
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 640
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsBassman 10-17-2016

Brilliant! It's one of the best color schemes for the good old big hats I've ever seen. And I've seen many Wink

Alan the evil Wrote:
bassman spoke... and I do agree!!

Are you interested in the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci? Check here: http://milanoarte.net/en/tour/the-last-s...ly-for-you

Bored of slashing your slaves? Take a vacation in Milan:
http://www.milantour.net

10-17-2016 05:34 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 730
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsFuggit Khan 10-17-2016

As has been mentioned already, the touch of blue is lovely. A great color balance and a very nice nod to the classic color schemes.
But my favorite bit is the superb color blending and tones on his face. He looks a bit drunk (as any decent Dwarf should be) Cheers!

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
10-17-2016 07:57 PM
Slavemaster Hod
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsSlavemaster Hod 10-17-2016

Here's my first 'almost' completed CD. I just need to do the base and possibly an ax highlight, and he's where I want him. The final highlight is always the hardest, because it's the easiest time to screw everything up.

I've started in on my blue scheme CD axemen, and hope to have some WIPs for that in the near future.

Hod's Dawi Zharr

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

10-17-2016 09:50 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1705
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsAbecedar 10-17-2016

still nice. you haven't stuffed it up yet

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-17-2016 10:17 PM
Poison
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 8
Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsPoison 10-18-2016

really impressive paintwork. gives justice to this gorgeous mini. can't wait to see the whole force painted

WARCOLOURS
world's finest hobby paints
http://www.warcolours.com
10-18-2016 02:45 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Loidrial
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 164
Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Hod finally paints his Chaos DwarfsLoidrial 10-18-2016

I envy so much all the people who are able to to the NMN. Looks great!

Pizza, Mandolino e Nani del Chaos
Off Topic Blog

10-18-2016 05:03 AM
Pages (9): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Xx9millxX's chaos dwarves (finally started) Xx9millxX 29 10,627 01-11-2014 02:12 PM
Last Post: Xx9millxX

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites