Post Reply  Post Thread 
1 Votes - 5 Average   A Left Turn at Albakhar’ri
Author MessageA Left Turn at Albakhar’ri
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 207
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
A Left Turn at Albakhar’riCarcearion 10-26-2016

In Zharr-Niggrund the Tradesmith Azhrikul sat brooding. His Prophet’s distant Fortress Tower required another infusion of the cities Hashut given mineral wealth and more importantly the delivery of secrets won by spies and acolytes about the sacred plots and machinations of the temple. It had been agreed sixty and four weeks prior that their two caravans would meet halfway across the vast desolation at the infernal guard outpost of Albakhar’ri, exchange cargo and return – but in the last fortnight Orcs had overrun the far western roads of the desolation, Zharr-Niggrund itself paid little heed. Azhrikul scratched worriedly upon his tablet, if he guessed his Lords course of action wrongly it would be his head.

Far west of Zharr-Niggrund Drakesh gather his counselors beneath the great Fortress Tower.

“As you predicted the Immortals declined, protecting The Prophet while forces are away is paramount.”

“They think it’s beneath them, they wouldn’t dirty their tall hats. What is the word from the Hashut’s Eye wolf riders who encountered them?”

“I met personally with their Khan. He says the Orc forces are immense and claimed he rode four score wolves against their host and lost his eye and half his forces in the melee.”

“Hrm! I’m sure, he and his score of riders probably fled soon as they saw the bulk of their forces.”

“He did have the scar to prove it my Lord, his eye was missing.”

“Fuggit Khan has been missing that eye since before I can remember – I’ve heard more stories about how he lost it then you have teeth. But if even he wouldn’t ride his wolves into their flanks their numbers must be vast. What word from our envoys to Nir-Khezhar and Rhan-Ghanor?”

“We believe they still haven’t reached them.”

“If we attached a full artillery train we could simply blast through.”

“Is this caravan truly worth risking our war-machines? The steel is best from Zharr-Niggrund but it can be got elsewhere – and we have barley five score slaves to send back.”

“We are too far and too long away from home, The Prophet cannot let his presence be diminished. We send not merely his spoils but his will.”

“We could circumvent their territory, meet further north… of course we would lose months to the greater distance, sending new orders, and to waiting for confirmation.”

“I don’t expect Azhrikul to wait for new orders, I expect him to make the right decision…”

In Zhar-Niggrund Azhrikul poured over maps and the most reliable news he could purchase, steal, or black mail about the Orc tribe which troubled their plans. It was a mere swell in the desolation, a leaderless mass of filthy Orc flesh. He could practically hear Ezharr’s counsel, imploring Drakesh to simply avoid the rabble – and Drakesh did not keep advisors merely to ignore them. The Orcs where a problem which could escalate drastically where a warboss to arise, but even than the threat was more likely to migrate into someone else’s territory then assault the Fortress Tower. Aha! There was the ideal outcome; the Orcs are driven from the western roads and troubled one of the Prophet’s rivals, but Drakesh would not leave it to chance…

“Halubar! Ghartan! Procure a dozen more hobgoblins guards and three times the extra wagon wheels. Thank Hashut for the desolation, we move as scheduled.”

Many days later deep in the dark lands Azhrikul sweated in his scalemail shirt and prayed to Hashut to stop himself cursing the weight and heat of his hat. When they first laid eyes upon Albakhar’ri they turned left, and broke from the roads out over the barren cracked earth, for days they baked as the caravan jostled across the wasteland. Drakesh would certainly have lured the green skins away to other territories in the south… certainly out here they would meet and exchange cargo… certainly they would share and redistribute supplies... certainly... certainly…… or else-

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
10-26-2016 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: A Left Turn at Albakhar’riCarcearion 10-26-2016

Hello! Despite this entry being a bit rushed I think all in all I managed to put a decent story together. What I really wanted to write was a story about logistics. How difficult it would be trying to coordinate even something simple like making an exchange of goods across the vast monster haunted wasteland of the dark lands without any remarkable technology or magic to assist. How you would often have to simply gamble that your sending the right stuff to the right place at the right time (this was actually inspired by the difficulty posed by warp travel in the Warhammer 40k universe, where logistical errors or miscommunications sometimes cause entire planets to be lost), and the stresses and conseuqences of what might in other places simply be the tedious boring work of a pencil pusher.

I don’t think I quite managed to tell that story, but I had fun writing regardless. My favorite part was actually taking a moment to imagine the collective Dark Lands of CDO where everyone's armies theoretically co-exist (and considering the relatively small population of the Chaos Dwarves also certainly interact with each other) and on that note to Fuggit Khan, Admiral, and TheHoodedMan I hope I wasn't too forward using you guys'ses charactrs/armies/locations as references in the story. I had actually planned on including several more people but unfortunately there are an awful lot of renegades, outcasts, and rampantly mutated mad-dwarfs among my favorite armies here on CDO Tongue Wink

All in all though I'd really like to hear any feed back anyone might have on the story, and I hope it was a fun read Cheers!

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."

This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 10:02 PM by Carcearion.

10-26-2016 09:58 PM
Forgefire
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 402
Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: A Left Turn at Albakhar’riForgefire 10-27-2016

Good job! I liked it and it had one of my votes! Takes Hat off

10-27-2016 02:47 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 699
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: A Left Turn at Albakhar’riAdmiral 10-27-2016

Good read! It did convey the difficulties getting anything sent in the Dark Lands, and the references to others' armies was a nice touch. Cheers!

Also, seeing how Fuggit Khan's Hobgobbo avatar have two whole eyes, it seems highly fitting that a sly Hobgoblin wears a false eyepatch sometime to trick his surroundings... switching eye once in a while, of course.

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXV - Deadline 4th of September ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 10-27-2016 04:13 AM by Admiral.

10-27-2016 04:12 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 621
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: A Left Turn at Albakhar’riFuggit Khan 10-27-2016

I really liked your story, I immediately picked up on the theme of 'logistics', it was well conveyed I thought (and logistics is a favorite aspect of mine in various games). You had my vote, because I loved the clever adding of your fellow CDO members armies and characters to your story. A very nice touch Cheers!

Admiral Wrote:
Also, seeing how Fuggit Khan's Hobgobbo avatar have two whole eyes, it seems highly fitting that a sly Hobgoblin wears a false eyepatch sometime to trick his surroundings... switching eye once in a while, of course.

Sly indeed! Fuggit actually has only one eye, his left eye is a scarred empty eye socket...in fact for about 17 years or so I originally called him "One Eyed Fuggit".

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
10-27-2016 11:47 AM
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

RE: A Left Turn at Albakhar’riCarcearion 10-27-2016

Hmm… actually I’m quite certain that Fuggit is missing his left eye Pirate I went back to check his the army blog again to confirm.

Quote:
It also dawned on me that I have not shared my Avatar...Fuggit Khan himself. I love that he is molded with a scar across a missing left eye, hence my earlier (pre LoA) nickname for him was "One eyed Fuggit"

EDIT: lol Fuggit himself beat me to the responce

This post was last modified: 10-27-2016 11:50 AM by Carcearion.

10-27-2016 11:49 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 699
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: A Left Turn at Albakhar’riAdmiral 10-27-2016

Ahaha, I did not remember that detail, only that he lacked an eyepatch. I blame it on distracting big hat. Happy

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXV - Deadline 4th of September ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
10-27-2016 11:51 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 621
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: A Left Turn at Albakhar’riFuggit Khan 10-27-2016

Carcearion Wrote:
EDIT: lol Fuggit himself beat me to the responce

Fuggit! Tongue Wink

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
10-27-2016 11:51 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites