Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Golden Hat XXVII
Author MessageGolden Hat XXVII
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 685
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
Golden Hat XXVIIAdmiral 05-13-2017

"Lika a furnace in the sky."

Abecedar & Titan Wargames presents: The 27th Golden Hat competition on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

This contest has been sponsored by Abecedar! The gold winner will claim nothing short of an unpainted Daemon Cannon, the variant sculpted by John Pickford and sold by Old School Miniatures:

Furthermore, this round of Golden Hat has been sponsored by Titan Wargames! The silver winner will receive one kit of Goblin Scavengers:

While the bronze winner will receive one Goblin Command trio:

Subject Matter: Launch Airships!

For this contest we want you to model and paint a Chaos Dwarf airship of some sort.

This contest is not about mere flying monsters with platforms such as flying chariots (although shackled flying monsters may indeed form part of the overall construction). Try to go for something reasonably mechanical looking, if even in mimic fashion. Think airship, not flying sledge.

You could of course have K'daai Fireborn bound underneath a balloon, or a shackled Daemon akin to a spiky pufferfish forming a zeppelin's balloon plus some machinery. Or a Taurus pulling along an airship with other obvious motive powers such as balloons or rotor blades. All manner of airship types can be entered into the contest, because the sky is the limit! You could do yours with rotors like this one, or have it being a flying sailing ship/slave galley like this one, or indeed a steam paddler in the sky such as this one.

Given how large centerpieces airship miniatures can be for one's army, we don't want to discourage people from daring dioramas neither for bases nor for air combat (Warhawk rider boarding, eagle attack etc.). Still, be sure to make the Chaos Dwarf airship with a much larger presence than anything exterior included, i.e. don't have a big enemy dragon in the air rivalling or overshadowing your airship model, or a tiny airship launching from a massive ziggurat. Keep any such additions within reason.

Scratchbuild, build from historical zeppelin/airship kits or convert from fantasy blimps and flying vessels such as from Games Workshop's new Kharadron Overlords or Titan Forge's Metal Beards. On high, there is factory smoke and lightning storms and winged monsters and Dark Gods waiting for your creations to soar!

If you are unsure if your entry will fit the subject matter, please contact Admiral or Bloodbeard and they'll sort it out with the rest of the Staff.

Warmaster/smallscale Chaos Dwarf airships are allowed.

Basing is unrestricted and up to your discretion with the following exception: Display bases and plinths are not allowed. You could do a diorama style base beneath the airship (we don't want to hold back creativity for such a canvas), though the contest's focus will be on the flying vessel itself and voters will be asked to keep this in mind. You could also skip a base altogether and e.g. have it hanging from a roof or lying flat on a table.

Specifics
Subject: Chaos Dwarf airships.
Bases: Up to your discretion. No display bases, plinths, though, please.
The Due Date: 11:59 PM July 1st, 2017 UTC (Central European Time Zone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

Submission
All entries must be sent to the Golden Hat account no later than the due date. Entries will not be accepted after this. (Entrants have approximately 6 weeks to complete entries). If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact Admiral or Bloodbeard. In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries.

How to Enter
Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the Internet. Photos may not have additional text or items/models unrelated to your entry. Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:
- Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place in the vaunted Golden Hat Hall of Fame.
- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona.
- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 20 people enter we award 20 slaves to each person who entered. Entries will count towards a veteran medal.
- Win an Asscannon or Goblins! See above for details.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting and determining the winners!

If there are any questions it is best post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

Prize
Gold winner will win a Daemon Cannon, silver winner Goblin Scavengers and bronze winner will win a Goblin Command group (see above for details).

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM Admiral and he will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Good luck everyone!

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 06-30-2017 05:33 PM by Admiral.

05-13-2017 04:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1159
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIIZanko 05-13-2017

Awesome theme! Takes Hat off

No idea what aircraft I could create ... but I'm sure I will find a solution! Wink

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

05-13-2017 07:27 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 12
Slaves: 1385
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIIAbecedar 05-13-2017

OOOH.  A challenge worthy of all decent Dawi Zharr and the rest of us too.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
05-13-2017 08:34 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 674
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIISkink 05-13-2017

Gonna sit this one out! Good luck eveybody Big Grin

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!

This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 11:27 AM by Skink.

05-13-2017 09:52 AM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 497
Scribe's Contest Gold Golden Hat - Silver Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Veteran                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIIJackswift 05-13-2017

Woohooo!!!  Perhaps a bit much to bite off, but something I can really sink my teeth into.Shock.  Definitely going to try and scrape out the time for this one...

This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 11:07 AM by Jackswift.

05-13-2017 10:54 AM
Enjoysrandom
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 378
Artisan's Contest - Bronze Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIIEnjoysrandom 05-13-2017

Man over 10k in points of models to be painted and I have to make one for the comp.... Should be fun, Challenge accepted! Cheers!

Also made my avatar in paint... not as polished as Xanders work but it will do for me Takes Hat off

Edit: Thanks Abecedar and Titan Wargames, ill try and make postage cheap for you Abe and win the pot Wink

Check out my Google Drive, and my Ebay Store, message me if you have any questions.

This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 12:12 PM by Enjoysrandom.

05-13-2017 12:09 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIIAdmiral 05-13-2017

Should anyone sit on an existing Chaos Dwarf airship already posted here yet harbour extensive rebuilding/repainting plans for it and wonder if a remastered version could be entered into the contest, then shoot me a PM telling what the update plans are, and we'll see from there.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 02:29 PM by Admiral.

05-13-2017 02:24 PM
Carcearion
Lammasu

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 177
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIICarcearion 05-14-2017

Very interesting theme to be sure!

I think the biggest challenge for me will be doing the conversion in time.

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
05-14-2017 02:04 AM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 1131
Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIIMalorndk 05-14-2017

Great prizes Abecedar and Baggronor <3

Army blog - Army Showcase - Project Banners - Legendary Battle
05-14-2017 03:02 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIIAbecedar 05-14-2017

Yes.  Time to build the monster and paint it to Golden Hat standard may be problematic.

I propose an immediate extension to the 30th of June.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
05-14-2017 03:11 AM
Zanthrax
Bull Centaur

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 112
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIIZanthrax 05-14-2017

This is going to be great!

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Lord Zanthrax's never ending chaos dwarf blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...#pid276052
05-14-2017 08:30 AM
Carcearion
Lammasu

Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIICarcearion 05-14-2017

Abecedar Wrote:
Yes.  Time to build the monster and paint it to Golden Hat standard may be problematic.

I second the motion for whatever it's worth

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."

05-14-2017 09:50 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Golden Hat XXVIIAbecedar 05-14-2017

Carcearion Wrote:

Abecedar Wrote:

I second the motion for whatever it's worth

I think we have a positive response from Zharr Naggrund forthcoming.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
05-14-2017 07:49 PM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Slaves: 284
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIITheHoodedMan 05-15-2017

Very generous prize sponsorings. Thank you for that!

But ...ph... an airship. That is a challenging task.

Please vote on the community awards 2016:
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=16881

The Prophets` bodyguard - Army blog
05-15-2017 02:00 AM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 470
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: Golden Hat XXVIIFuggit Khan 05-15-2017

Da Khan has been away for awhile, enjoying the spoils of war, pillaging and plunder in his new home of Thailand.
But what a wonderful treat to see such a great theme upon my return to visit the dark lands of CDO  Happy
I'm not likely to enter, real life has a strangle hold on my free time right now. But this by far is the best theme to be presented here (and brilliant suggestion of a fireborn shackled to a hot air balloon!).
If I were to enter, I'd make some triplane inspired by Dick Dastardly...zeppelins are cool too.
Best of luck and inspiration to all who enter...this promises to be cool Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
05-15-2017 07:40 AM
Black_Fortress_Immortal
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 105

RE: Golden Hat XXVIIBlack_Fortress_Immortal 05-15-2017

Oooh I sincerely want to participate, and have a great idea... we'll see if I can get it together in time, but I doubt it Sad

Age of Sigmar Record: 21 wins / 6 losses / 0 draw
05-15-2017 08:37 AM
Tertius
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 68

RE: Golden Hat XXVIITertius 05-15-2017

I really like this theme.

05-15-2017 09:38 AM
Tertius
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 68

RE: Golden Hat XXVIITertius 05-15-2017

Bases

Admiral Wrote:
...Up to your discretion. No display bases, plinths, though, please.

One picture each of a plinth base and a display base would help my understanding of what is right out.  

I keep picturing bases big enough for an airship (to not topple over) and I end up thinking, 'what's the difference'?

05-15-2017 07:32 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Golden Hat XXVIIAdmiral 05-16-2017

Very good point! It's standard practice on CDO to level the field by not having ornate pedestals and nice wood-carved stands competing with miniatue paintjob in contests. Examples found in links in first post might illustrate somewhat. On phone away working for a week, can't link quickly a.t.m.

Put differently, do whatever big fancy base you like, but keep the base sides plain if possible. We can of course change this rule for this conest if many members wish this. Please tell if you do.

05-16-2017 03:27 AM
Carcearion
Lammasu

RE: Golden Hat XXVIICarcearion 05-16-2017

Admiral Wrote:
Also, deadline will be 30th of June. Can't edit first post on phone. Fix later.

Great news, thanks for the update Takes Hat off

05-16-2017 11:25 AM
Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Golden Hat XXVII - Winners! Admiral 29 1,619 07-14-2017 04:36 AM
Last Post: Will Liam
  Golden Hat XXVII - Voting! Admiral 24 1,919 07-08-2017 11:56 PM
Last Post: Abecedar

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend