Thread Closed  Post Thread 
CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)
Author MessageCDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 135
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Admiral 06-30-2017

First of all, undertake:  Photobucket Migration to the Darklands - Stage I

We risk an almost complete breakdown of continuity in images

With the recent Photobucket trouble we'll have to ask ourselves what legends of old should be targeted for photo backup? This is a disaster to continuity and it seems we have scarce time to act before the old photos go completely unavailable. As of now, it is possible to right-click pictures under lockdown, choose view image in new tab and copy it from there.

Remember that Imageshack has already robbed us of archive material, and the Photobucket strike is much larger in scope. We risk losing almost everything old which new members have stumbled upon through the years, taking inspiration from old masters.

I know I'll not have much time to contribute with in the coming weeks. I must fix some Golden Hat entries today and maybe tomorrow, but I could help some after that, within limitations. If many of us could help some, it would add up. This is not drudgery which anyone wish to do during the summer, but it is now or never, unless Photobucket come to their senses and change direction completely.

Volunteers?

Can we please gather links to the logs and work of inactive members which we'd particularly like to see saved from the looming disaster? Then we could chew through the threads one at a time and avoid redundant double-work by advancing which thread/member we each pick. An all-out manual trawl of the whole log section could maybe be possible, but it would be true slave labour. Realistically, we should target worthy pictures in particular.

If we can establish a link list, then some volunteers could possibly wade through it to save backup copies on their own computer, to be transferred to some free and currently stable photohosting site such as Imgur. From there, we could re-upload some stuff in big chunks with lots of photos.

Please remember that artwork and concept sketches should be saved along with miniature photos.

Let's take tjub as an example. His stuff is particularly easy to find and save for backup, since he has both a compilation of picture links in his market thread and moreover an index in his monster of an army log. On the other hand, there is a lot of stuff to wade through! But it can be done.

We might wish to target long-since inactive members first and foremost, but this wrecking ball strikes at everyone's Photobucket album, active or inactive.

Attention

Saving your own pictures is quite straightforward and should probably be possible even after the Photobucket changes have been fully implemented (unless the site shuts down completely). However, saving the pictures of others' of long since inactive members is a window that will soon close. If you know of anything specatcular and old you'd rather not be unable to see in the future, then head to that log and grab it.

There is one saving grace before Photobucket goes utterly dark. You can apparently download others' albums, if their privacy lets you see the album:

So some speed is won that way, unless non-Warhammer content is freely mixed with Warhammer content.

Account List

When it comes to salvage the work of others, there is a need to be organized. Please note that Xander and Nicodemus will address this issue as well. Nevertheless, time is of the essence, and we should not refrain from manually salvaging what we can from long-since inactive CDO accounts.

Note that this list for the moment concerns itself with downloaded/saved pictures. Uploading the pictures again is a given goal, but first we need to save the pictures from Photobucket. Mass upload can come after that.

Please note that some accounts are unregistered and thus cannot be linked-to.

Accounts whose images have been salvaged/downloaded by the users themselves are marked in BLUE.

Accounts of inactive members whose images have been salvaged/downloaded by volunteers or the users themselves are marked in GREEN. This is the most important list. The one to keep updated. Please report when you have salvaged an account salvaged to stop double-work!

Accounts whose images have not yet been salvaged are marked in ordinary BLACK. (This list is of less importance and may not be updated frequently or given much attention. Use your own memory, the member search option or look through lists of old logs, conversions and showcase threads to find accounts. In particular, use the "Find threads by this user" option and scan for army blogs, conversions and showcase.)

Accounts whose images could not be salvaged in any way are marked in RED. Effectively lost, not a single image salvaged.

Nicodemus
Skink
tjub

Abyss
al-hashut
Ami Fluff
Arashi
Ashur
BABIS
Bjorni
blackgonzo
Blue in VT
Bolg
Borador
Cotter
DAGabriel
Darkash
DARKTROOPER
Dezmord
dgoer
Dorktaku
Drm
Ellimist
Father Grumpmas
Felix
Forgemaster Gubins
Furrie
Geckilian
Golder Goldeater
Grask Dragh
GRNDL
Grongi Blackbeard
grunts
Grupax
iantee1989
Igneous Bull
Khan!
Knight Of Awesome
KRUG_666
Kyte
Loki
Lord Aldades
Malificant
m3lvin
minty
Obsidian
Pulper
Rejector
Revlid
sam585
Servius
Skyefire
Snotling
starscream
Stubbs
Swissdictator
The Flying Beaver
Theory_Man
thepaintingmonkey
tirli_pinpon
torn
Triton
turquois dwarf
ubertechie
wallacer
warh
WarplockMonkey
wizuriel
Yodrin
Zhatek The Weird

Chaos Dwarf Artwork Compilation (Thread)
Chaos Dwarf Random Gems From Across the Web (Thread)

____________________________________________________________ _____

aki
Akuma
Arakagaan Calasson
asheira
Balseraph
Bassman
bobkian
Dino
eternalfreak
ForlornHope
fossegrim
G.2
gelidalama
Hespithe
JMS
Kobarf
lord-blackheart
McNs
Momada
Morr
MrDw
MumboMoose
Nehan
Patryk
petesamd
RedJetbikesGoFaster
Renufus
Repone
Sharkboy
Shizzle_McHigh_Nizzle
Tharzul Firehelm
The Raven
This_Is_My_Boomstick!!
Thorne
Vanvlak
Vexxus
wizzbang
Zanzibar
zorn sabretooth
zsoulless

News on CDO: Scribe's Contest X - Deadline 30th of July ... Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 07-03-2017 12:02 AM by Admiral.

06-30-2017 07:26 AM
Find all posts by this user
Grimbold Blackhammer
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 188
Best General - 2012 Scribe's Contest Silver Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Grimbold Blackhammer 06-30-2017

I volunteer as tribute!  This weekend I have a house full of people staying with us (my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary celebration is tomorrow) but next week I can get on this.

Grimbold Blackhammer

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/

This post was last modified: 06-30-2017 10:05 AM by Grimbold Blackhammer.

06-30-2017 10:04 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Admiral 06-30-2017

Thank you, Grimbold! Just what's needed! We'll have to get a proper link list up including great CD finds across the web, artwork and all manner of log and showcase sections to wade through.

If someone wants to chip in straight away but is in doubt or lacking a list, just dive in to some favourite inactive log or pick something promising among the earliest army logs of the forum, and pick out the best pictures for storage. Let's see what we can do before the dark gate closes on us forever.

Also, I suppose it could be good if we tried to name the image file after its creator (e.g. "Snotling 01" or "Snotling Ballista 02"), just so it's tagged straight away.

News on CDO: Scribe's Contest X - Deadline 30th of July ... Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
06-30-2017 12:59 PM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Market Rep: 12
Slaves: 1202
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)tjub 06-30-2017

Ive got all/most of my CDO stuff saved on the comp now, photobucket had a "download folder" option.

Chaos Dwarfs for SALE!
Chaos Dwarf Army Blog

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

06-30-2017 02:21 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 1129
Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Malorndk 06-30-2017

Awesome tjub. I can't get the buttom to work right now.

Someone get the chaos dwarf mining complex down if it is still available! And Snotlings stuff!!!

Army blog - Army Showcase - Project Banners - Legendary Battle
06-30-2017 10:12 PM
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1230
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Nicodemus 06-30-2017

Malorndk Wrote:
Awesome tjub. I can't get the buttom to work right now.

Someone get the chaos dwarf mining complex down if it is still available! And Snotlings stuff!!!

Not to worry. I've backed up all of the Chaos Dwarf mining complex materials to my local drive as part of that operation a while ago, and can easily re-host them elsewhere.

I've also downloaded my Photobucket folder.  It is straight forward but the site seemed pretty laggy and it was hanging a lot for me. I probably had to try a dozen times or so before it finally zipped them and showed me the download link.

~N

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

06-30-2017 11:09 PM
Tertius
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 68

RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Tertius 07-01-2017

Please tell details about the download link ...down loading a whole folder... from photobucket.

I have never done that.

07-01-2017 01:29 AM
Pyro Stick
Wizard of the Glen

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 922
Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Photobucket Migration                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Pyro Stick 07-01-2017

There is a list of options at the bottom right corner of the screen whenever you are viewing an album and one of them is Download Album. It's just a shame there's not a download all albums button.

My Chaos Dwarf Collection: GHXXVI

07-01-2017 04:20 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user
bas_2312
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 441
Golden Hat - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)bas_2312 07-01-2017

Oh man, this sucks...

Anyone know another decent photo hosting site? Is imgur any good?

Check out some of my other stuff:
-Big Hat Ogres
-Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs
-Halfling Empire
-Scifi stuff
07-01-2017 07:11 AM
Forgefire
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 401
Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Forgefire 07-01-2017

Personally i use deviantart and it has worked fine so far. And i always right click + copy image adress.

07-01-2017 07:53 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Slaves: 668
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Skink 07-01-2017

I just re-uploaded all my pics on Imgur. Works twice as fast as Photobucket ever did, and has the same editing tools. Go for it!

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!
07-01-2017 11:22 AM
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1230
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Nicodemus 07-01-2017

Xander and I have a relatively easy fix.  I'm working on the details with the other staff (in our hidden Admin section of the forum) and we will then post instructions for the fix.

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

07-01-2017 12:28 PM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 460
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Fuggit Khan 07-02-2017

This Photobucket stuff is depressing. First GW kills warhammer fantasy...and now this.
Living overseas now, I've been unable to access my Photobucket account without major login difficulties. My account in inundated with pop up adds that makes signing in virtually impossible. And now they're blocking third party hosting. Elfs are responsible!  Wink
Luckily I have all my army blog pics saved on various memory cards...but in no particular order  Sad

I think I will wait till the storm blows over before I decide what to do.
In the meantime I will post any new (limited) hobby stuff on my Facebook page.

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
07-02-2017 01:51 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Slaves: 668
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Skink 07-02-2017

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
My account in inundated with pop up adds that makes signing in virtually impossible.

It´s not related to your geographical location... Unfortunately Photobucket went down the massive AD route.

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
Elfs are responsible!  Wink

Totally.

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!
07-02-2017 04:13 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Admiral 07-02-2017

Xander and Nicodemus has launched step one of their campaign to bypass Photobucket. It's ingenious and worthy of a Daemonsmith. Do check it out and make use of it!

However, there might be some risk of Photobucket becoming overloaded these coming days, or even collapsing if worse come to pass. I am not knowledgeable in these matters of techno-arcana, so please excuse any misjudgement in this assessment.

Some Dakkadakka members have posited speculations as to Photobucket's motives: There exist a suspicion that Photobucket is intentionally making itself impossible to have its users download and migrate before shutting down finally, after grabbing some last money. Whatever the actual reasons, we would do best to seriously consider the possibility that Photobucket may cease to exist in the close future.

And more closer to what we know; the window is closing, and soon we will not be able to access Photobucket images of others at all. Time is of the essence.

First post updated. Volunteers wanted. Please refer to it for lists and report here upon salvaging the images of other, inactive CDO members.

Many of us active members might have backup copies independent of Photobucket, but the inactive members are by definition inactive. No guarantees when or if they'll ever return, and likewise there are no guarantees that they themselves have independent backup files of their Photobucket pictures. If the active members do not salvage what they can from the inactive members, we risk a meltdown of continuity.

Please note that participating in this salvage operation may mean confusion and redundant double-work, particularly when Stage 2 of the Staff's Photobucket Migration to the Darklands roll out. It's all conscious risks to be undertaken for improving our chances of saving CDO's past for the sake of its future.

This post was last modified: 07-02-2017 05:57 AM by Admiral.

07-02-2017 05:19 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: CDO Image Salvage Operation (courtesy of Photobucket)Admiral 07-03-2017

This thread is hereby locked: Stage II of migration to the Darklands will replace it. Dark exodus ahead, and woeful travails and hardships and labours...

But we can do it! Hashut!

07-03-2017 02:50 PM
Thread Closed  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites