Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Artisan's Contest XXII
Author MessageArtisan's Contest XXII
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 684
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
Artisan's Contest XXIIAdmiral 09-06-2017

"We don't spend all day slaying, all life warring, you beardless buffoon!"

Carcearion's Bit Forge Presents: Artisan's Contest XXII!

Beyond the Battlefield: Civilian Life in the Dark Empire

The goal here is to make some civilian Chaos Dwarf stuff! People can enter with any number of models or terrain pieces. As long as your entry contain at least one Chaos Dwarf miniature, you can do as you please with the rest.

You are welcome to add pack animals, carts, slaves, sacrificial victims and suchlike. You're likewise welcome to make a diorama out of your entry, if you wish.

Given the hundreds of thousands of slaves surrounding the Chaos Dwarfs, one would expect a lot of armour to be worn all day long in common life, and whips and weapons, too. Arms or armour won't disqualify anyone, and whips will be ever relevant whether in war or peace.

Apart from that, the spirit here is tools over weapons, aprons over war banners, ceremonial processions over ranked regiments, clearing out bull muck in sacred Temple stables over warleaders flying proud upon monsters into battle. Go for the ordinary, the grubby labour, or the familiar and intimate, or the low and filthy, or the crafts and arts, or for the high and mysterious and unholy. Go to town if you wish with Daemonsmith laboratories, worship scenes, scrying mystics, preaching prophets, overlordly audience chambers, Dawi Zharr families, stonecarvers erecting monuments, street markets, torture chambers, harems, workshops, shipyards, slave auctions, quarries, gladiatorial arenas, Hobgoblin hut life or nightmarish slave pits - or something else completely - but don't go to war!

The CDO Staff won't be picky with what entries are accepted. Instead we expect voters to reward those entries which play fully to the spirit of the contest theme, as is usually the case.

However, for this round, please don't enter Blood Bowl miniatures. It'd be a bit too easy, and they'll get proper contest themes of their own.

Still, if you are unsure whether your entry will meet the requirements please PM Admiral or Bloodbeard .

Prize

Admiralty Miniatures will reward the gold winner with a couple of whitemetal Hobgoblin Slavedrivers of Ancient Times, soon to be released!

Carcearion has been kind enough to donate this sample sprue from his Bit Forge to the silver winner!

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM Admiral or Bloodbeard and they will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Deadline

The deadline for the submission of entries is October 5th 2017 at 11:59pm EST.

Rules of the Competition

Each member may only enter once.

Model and paint civilian models appropriate for Chaos Dwarfs and their underlings, complete with scenery, cattle, pack animals, vehicles and background displays should you wish it. You must include at least one Chaos Dwarf miniature, and no Blood Bowl team, all else is up to you.

Bases or no bases are up to you.

The scale of the miniatures is up to you.

Submissions should include up to four pictures. No overlaid words of explanation or photoshop effects in your submitted photos please.

You may not submit pictures of a model that have been entered into other online competitions or posted in a finished state before.

Don't post your entries in the forum before the contest is over.

See also the General Rules & Guidelines.

How to Enter?

Submit your entry by sending a PM to Staff (a special user that all Staff have access to) with up to four photos of your entry. Please do not send an e-mail to any of the admin or staff accounts as this is a sure fire way to have your entry missed.

Please note that your entry will benefit if the photos are all clearly composed, since voters will base their judgement upon what they can see in the pictures on their computer screens.

How will this be judged?

Sometime after October 5th we will post all entries to a new thread and voting can commence!

Good luck everyone!
The Staff

Also on CDO:
Edge of the Abyss
Photobucket TOS Woes & Third party image hosting
Photobucket Migration to the Darklands – Stage I
Photobucket Migration to the Darklands - Stage II

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 03:06 AM by Admiral.

09-06-2017 08:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1159
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIZanko 09-06-2017

Sounds cool! Wink

Momentarily I have no good idea ... but I will find one! I'm confident!

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

09-06-2017 12:33 PM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1296
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIItjub 09-06-2017

Jupp, I should really try to do something for this... Happy

Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

09-06-2017 12:36 PM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 497
Scribe's Contest Gold Golden Hat - Silver Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Veteran                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIJackswift 09-06-2017

A good concept.  Hard aligning my limited hobby time with something that doesn't fill an army slot.  Will have to think of something that does both. Hmmm...[/align]

09-06-2017 01:14 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 830
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIBloodbeard 09-06-2017

I'll have to see if I can find something. ... that'll work in Frostgrave and look like a civillian.

09-06-2017 03:19 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Carcearion
Lammasu

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 177
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIICarcearion 09-06-2017

Hmm... the stars may have aligned for me on this one I think I have a plan in mind.

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
09-06-2017 04:12 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 12
Slaves: 1385
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIAbecedar 09-06-2017

My stars aren't aligned this time.   I have no idea what to do yet. but it is early days

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.

This post was last modified: 09-06-2017 06:48 PM by Abecedar.

09-06-2017 06:48 PM
Fuggit Khan
Da Khan of Khans

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 470
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIFuggit Khan 09-07-2017

I LOVE THIS THEME  ♡♡♡
If only I hadn't torn the tendon in my damn hand, otherwise I'd sculpt a Chaos Dwarf meat butcher. Gnoblar haggis anyone?

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
09-07-2017 09:16 AM
HPN
Hobgoblin

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 16

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIHPN 09-07-2017

This is great! Definitely have to work out something!

09-07-2017 12:45 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 830
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIBloodbeard 09-07-2017

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
I LOVE THIS THEME  ♡♡♡
If only I hadn't torn the tendon in my damn hand, otherwise I'd sculpt a Chaos Dwarf meat butcher. Gnoblar haggis anyone?

That would be awesome!

09-07-2017 02:35 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kamphre
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 263
Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIKamphre 09-07-2017

Does it includes Blood Bowl teams ?

09-07-2017 02:38 PM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIItjub 09-08-2017

Kamphre Wrote:

I would assume it does!

Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

09-08-2017 12:16 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIAdmiral 09-08-2017

Kamphre Wrote:

Very good question! It would make sense, but talking it over we've decided not to include Blood Bowl teams or sideliners. It'd be a bit too easy, and they'll get contest themes of their own, promise!

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
09-08-2017 03:05 AM
tjub
Hat or Die!

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIItjub 09-08-2017

Admiral Wrote:

Kamphre Wrote:

Very good question! It would make sense, but talking it over we've decided not to include Blood Bowl teams or sideliners. It'd be a bit too easy, and they'll get contest themes of their own, promise!

Oh, well thats too bad. There went my entry. Was working on something sideline related... TongueTakes Hat off

Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:

This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 11:10 AM by tjub.

09-08-2017 11:04 AM
Ghrask Dragh
TeddyMadeMeDoIt...

Group: Retired Staff
Slaves: 824

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIGhrask Dragh 09-09-2017

It's at times like these i wish I had better sculpting skills, so many ideas but so far out of reach... for now Unsure

Just realised, I've been here since 2007 and still have not entered a single competition, not one Shock

My Chaos Dwarf Blog
09-09-2017 07:50 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIAdmiral 09-10-2017

One need not have sculpted a lot to give it a shot. One could e.g. give a military CD miniature a measuring device, spade, wrench or other tool from the bitz box and call it a day. It could even be used as an artillery crewman in an army, come to think of it.

GW's plastic Dwarf artillery crew are perfect conversion basis, with apron and tools in the kit (not just artillery-specific tools, neither, but spade, pick, wheel barrow and bucket). Xander's conversion tutorials stand the test of time.

Check out The_Penguin's take on Chaos Dwarfs for some inventive opulent civilians!

Reaper Bones miniatures could contain some neat basis for civilian and slave conversions, as could other miniature lines with Dwarves out there. Dwarven Gold Fever kickstarter could maybe provide ideas for civilian Dwarves to make metal evil, if not miniatures already.

My own range (click banner) contain some civilian miniatures, though better convert something for Artisan's Contest, if ever so slightly, if such is to be used.

By the way, ever noticed how the old Dwarf buckler on a handgun looked more like a plumbing tool than a classic blunderbuss' silhouette? Well, put the buckler on a hand weapon shaft instead, and you're well on your way toward having a CD plumber or at least unfortunate plumbing slave with a grumpy master!

The sky is the limit, though it's quite easy to make something simple to enter with, too. Takes Hat off

This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 03:46 AM by Admiral.

09-10-2017 03:09 AM
Ghrask Dragh
TeddyMadeMeDoIt...

Group: Retired Staff
Slaves: 824

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIGhrask Dragh 09-10-2017

Your absolutely right Admiral of course! I was meaning more for the things I had in mind, every idea I have would need an original sculpt as there's isn't anything close enough to convert Sad

I'll keep thinking though, like you said skies the limit!

My Chaos Dwarf Blog
09-10-2017 05:24 AM
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1159
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIZanko 09-12-2017

Currently I have unfortunately still no really good idea ... need more better ideas and much more time! Mad

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

09-12-2017 01:07 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIAbecedar 09-12-2017

I think the Lizard King would have a Zoo.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
09-12-2017 08:01 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

RE: Artisan's Contest XXIIAbecedar 09-12-2017

And for a while I've been thinking of getting all my musicians in one photo.  As in The blues brothers "Getting the Band back together"
I thought great I'll do that and have a concert for this contest.  
And then I remembered that they are already painted and posted so I cannot do that for this one at all.

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
09-12-2017 08:11 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post