Post Reply  Post Thread 
Making bases
Author MessageMaking bases
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1304
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
Making basescornixt 10-30-2017

I need a load of 25mm round bases. After realising that I missed my chance with ordering some in a recent online order, and failing to find any in the local stores, I came up with the idea of cutting some out of scrap MDF pieces I have. As long as the hole saw is less than $10 I am technically saving money straight away.

Has anyone used a hole saw on a regular drill in order to cut bases out of MDF?

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
10-30-2017 02:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1179
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Making basesZanko 10-30-2017

No!

I ordered the bases here and I'm quite sure that this is much cheaper than buying a MDF plate, a driller and a drilling machine! Wink

Hashut!  

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

This post was last modified: 10-30-2017 04:24 PM by Zanko.

10-30-2017 04:23 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1407
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Making basesAbecedar 10-30-2017

Much better to use a drill press rather than a hand drill, Then you have to take the time to clean up the edges and bevel them.
I do that if I need to but buying them is quicker and easier.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-30-2017 05:47 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Making basesBloodbeard 10-31-2017

I've saw drilled some big 60 mm bases. That was fairly easy and saved me a lot money (and I now own drill saw bits). But it's work to clean them.

For 25mm bases find some on the net. Greenstuff World and Renadra have a lot of bases  for cheap and cheap shipping as well.

10-31-2017 01:14 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1304
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Making basescornixt 10-31-2017

I guess there is a reason I haven't heard of anybody doing it that way! I'm surprised there is much cleanup, I've made dungeon tiles with a jigsaw and there wasn't much cleanup involved, a hole saw looks much cleaner. I don't need bevelled edges.

Litko.net seems to have the cheapest bases in the US once you include postage. Might just swallow and order a cool 100 in one go.

Thanks everyone.

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
10-31-2017 02:51 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites