Post Reply  Post Thread 
Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column Drawings
Author MessageIdeas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column Drawings
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 407
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsAdmiral 11-03-2017

Hashut!

Chaos Dwarfs sport a heady and bewildering mix of styles if one take all the different designs together: Both Games Workshop's and independent designers' take on the archetype. Since I'm currently lying sick at home and can't get any proper sculpting for casting done, it seemed a good time to draw something:

These are the starter doodles. The plan is to cover a range of strange Chaos Dwarf-appropriate styles of pillar. For upcoming pillars I've got some ideas going that are more or less freaky or obvious, but I know that this is a nest of creative people that are likely to come up with ideas from other angles, and sheer brilliant concepts. Better tap into this resource that happens to be You.

Do you have any ideas for shapes, ornaments or something completely different that you think would make for a good Chaos Dwarf pillar? Remember that columns can be shaped as statues akin to Atlas, Kariatides or angular Lammasus as in the 4th edition artpiece, and that's only the start of the outlandish possibilities. One could have caged or shackled Daemons or something much weirder.

So, ideas? All input welcome. Cheers!

Below are some historical reference pictures, in case something would spark inspiration:

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXIX - Deadline 27th of January ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 04:53 PM by Admiral.

11-03-2017 04:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjub
Hat or Die!

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1309
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column Drawingstjub 11-03-2017

Haha, you are one of a kind! Tongue Im amazed by your creativity, you should compile it to the Chaos Dwarf Ultimate Sourcebook. Takes Hat off

Buy your 15mm "Tjublings" here!
Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

11-03-2017 05:09 PM
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 63

RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsUther the unhinged 11-03-2017

Even sick yoi are that creative. Wow.I love the fat skull column.
If you did not go classical/babylonian etc
You could imagine a column of slaves. Ogre crushed by orc crushed by hobgoblin crushed by goblin supprting a classic slull with lighting bolt crack. Or just a sickening heap of greenskins. Or even a pillar carved to look like flames with or without tortured faces in it. Just don’t ask me to draw it.

11-03-2017 07:50 PM
Ghrask Dragh
TeddyMadeMeDoIt...

Group: Retired Staff
Slaves: 834

RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsGhrask Dragh 11-03-2017

When I'm thinking of things I could do wih Chaos Dwarfs (and anything hobby) I tend to get so many different ideas and threads I end up wih headaches thinking about them too much... I have no idea how sift through all these amazing things and not collapse!
Hope you feel better soon

Although I enjoy the 'Ziggernaughty' (yeah it's a word!) style that the most popular incarnation of Chaos Dwarfs enjoy my love always goes back to the Marauder, creepy, haunted castle and spooky forest theme I did years ago. Hence the first column of your 3 above is my fav, maybe with a few haunted or deamon bound faces in the brick work ready to scare any visitors away...

tjub Wrote:
Haha, you are one of a kind! Tongue Im amazed by your creativity, you should compile it to the Chaos Dwarf Ultimate Sourcebook. Takes Hat off

I'd buy it!

My Chaos Dwarf Blog

This post was last modified: 11-03-2017 08:13 PM by Ghrask Dragh.

11-03-2017 08:11 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsUther the unhinged 11-04-2017

Ok thinking about how I’d make a column (bearing in mind my skills or lack of). Two options really:
1. The classic Tower of Tjublings: three tjubling blunderbussers back to back (flat hats) supporting disc adornded with gw skulls round the edge then three more tjublings (axe or gun) offset to the ones below again with flat hats , supporting ... well you get the idea go as high as you like or as wide.
2.Following the column of slaves idea, but not doing my own sculptong (always best not to in my case). Start with a base column completely covered with Admiral slave orc heads, particularly the caged pnes.

A palisade of columns surrounding walls of Admiral wall friezes now that would be sweet.
Now just got to think of the roof...

11-04-2017 05:24 AM
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsUther the unhinged 11-04-2017

Oh  Wow. Imagine the old eternity stair (I love that model) but with the sides made up of tjublings. A giant Trajans (Tjubs) column with the platform supported  not by dog things [/align]but by  bull tjublings. OK I made those last up but you get the idea.

Oh dear too many ideas, I think I’ll have to go lie down

11-04-2017 05:58 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Slaves: 1407
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsAbecedar 11-04-2017

Uther the unhinged Wrote:
Oh dear too many ideas, I think I’ll have to go lie down

You do that, It helps...... I know.  Imagination far outstrips skill in my case.
A few years ago i looked up, and saved a lot of corbelling and stuff but in the end decided to go with a simpler plan considering how many I would have to do if it ever gets finished

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
11-04-2017 07:22 AM
Forgefire
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 401
Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsForgefire 11-04-2017

I like  the first one for its classical evil simple look. And i do like the design of the last one also.

11-04-2017 07:45 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsAdmiral 11-05-2017

Thank you, folks! Useful stuff.

@Well, that's been the plan since early on. At least with the Chaos Dwarf writings (with illustrations), and I'm not talking about just my writings. But there is so much left to do. Way too early for a sourcebook. Happy

@Uther the Unhinged: Perfect! Just the kind of ideas I was looking for. Thank you very much, I'll try something out based on some idea of yours if the sickness perseveres longer. Very good scenery concepts, by the way! Also, creativity doesn't rest. In fact a fever or a healthy dream can give you wilder ideas than usual.

@Ghrask Dragh: Nice idea with the Daemon faces. Gotta try it out. Thanks for good style suggestions!

@Abecedar: The other way around! Don't retreat from the crazy ideas, surf on the madness instead.

@Forgefire: Tack!

Nurgle's rot starts to ebb out. Might not get more drawing done if it dissipates enough by tomorrow. Borrowed the use of a scanner. Here is a pageful of columns, will draw more if still sick, and try some wackier ideas. Please shout out any further ideas out that you have. Cheers!

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXIX - Deadline 27th of January ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 04:10 PM by Admiral.

11-05-2017 04:02 PM
Carcearion
Daemon Prince of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 191
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsCarcearion 11-05-2017

Oooh! I am particularly fond of the Minoan pillar. Although I feel it could use similar decorations to the hat on the Kariatides pillar.

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
11-05-2017 06:59 PM
Kamphre
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 269
Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsKamphre 11-06-2017

I wish I could draw like you! Tongue Wink

They all look cool and inventive.
Here are my ideas :
- a column with a gear base and endless vice in the middle. Can be used as individual elevator, or rise a platform above a crowd, or down into the mines or a sacrificial pit (Indiana Jones !).

- columns with cages , to keep important prisoners visible for everyone else, something to be proud of, like jewels.

- columns with chains, acting like command board. Actionning a chain transmit a signal to a slave driver. He can act to please his master : open a lava gate to illuminate a room, close protections, bring food, etc.

- maybe hexagonal stones, slightly rotated while piled up. It could give an effect that only dwarfs can master.

11-06-2017 02:57 AM
Enjoysrandom
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 379
Artisan's Contest - Bronze Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsEnjoysrandom 11-07-2017

Perfection as always Admiral, love the ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Also that Dwarf pillar is drawn so well! need someone sculpting these pillars and lammasu end pillars!

Check out my Google Drive, and my Ebay Store, message me if you have any questions.

This post was last modified: 11-07-2017 03:10 AM by Enjoysrandom.

11-07-2017 03:07 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsBloodbeard 11-07-2017

Your creativity is off the charts Admiral! Your drawing skills is great. This is some awesome concepts. ... and they would be very hard to build.

11-07-2017 03:58 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsAdmiral 11-10-2017

@Carcearion: Thanks! My brother insisted on a hat column, see below. It did not receive central ornamentation since it's supposed to work in a forest of pillars, but perhaps it works as detail addition nevertheless?

@Kamphre: Thank you! Keep at it, one only gets better by practice. Happy

Very nice column ideas! All of them is worth drawing or modelling. Did the cage one, although I see now that I actually misread your description (perhaps something like this could be used for a model?). The gears variant call out for a modelling scenery project.

I would particularly have liked to draw the column made of twisted hexagonal stones (spiral or zig-zag twisting?), but would need to draw from reference. Hm, maybe cut up some cheese and spear a toothpick through the pieces? Shelved for later, good idea of yours!

@Enjoysrandom: Thank you kindly! Hehe, perhaps Carcearion of Adrian could be persuaded to tackle some suchlike designs? Will be happy myself to try out something based on one or more of them. Eventually. Wink

@Bloodbeard: Thank you very much! The point about hard to build is a good one. See below.

Didn't bring sculpting stuff to the place where I sleep when working away this week. Drew some more columns instead in the spare time. You folks have come with lots of useful advice! Thanks a lot!

Acted on some of it more or less directly, and have distant plans to model or draw something more based on others of your ideas (not least a Trajan's column of Tjublings).

Bloodbeard's good point about the column designs being hard to build led to some pillars of simpler shape, mainly in the top row. Also drew a cage column, partially inspired by Kamphre's idea:

11-10-2017 04:51 PM
Ghrask Dragh
TeddyMadeMeDoIt...

Group: Retired Staff
Slaves: 834

RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsGhrask Dragh 11-10-2017

Oh my! Many more fans now, love the big hat and the chain and the slaves and the biggest beard on CDO!  So so cool, when I get back around to my CD'S I'm going go make a point to visit your many threads for inspiration

My Chaos Dwarf Blog
11-10-2017 06:59 PM
Carcearion
Daemon Prince of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 191
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsCarcearion 11-10-2017

Oh my! I love the hat column! Takes Hat off

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
11-10-2017 08:56 PM
Timothy Archer
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 154

RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column DrawingsTimothy Archer 11-10-2017

this is just really really cool . the last columns , the slaves , the finger , the cd face and the daemonic , they are just insane , so good

11-10-2017 10:14 PM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Slaves: 1309
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: Ideas Wanted For Chaos Dwarf Column Drawingstjub 11-11-2017

Hah, great work Admiral! My a future as a dark architect? Big Grin

Buy your 15mm "Tjublings" here!
Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

11-11-2017 02:39 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need ideas for chaos dwarf blood bowl conversion. inkpwn 0 1,658 12-17-2011 12:38 AM
Last Post: inkpwn
  Chaos Dwarf Throne/bearers- ideas? BLOOD AXE 1 2,170 02-24-2010 04:39 AM
Last Post: clam
  Want advice on a Non Chaos Dwarf Army...need ideas Draconis 20 5,840 08-27-2007 02:45 PM
Last Post: cornixt

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites