Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)
Author MessagePestilent Brotherhood (40k)
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1362
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Grimstonefire 11-10-2017

I've been considering collecting a 40k army for probably 8 years now, never could quite settle on which one.  I like the design aesthetics of necrons, the crazy fun or oaks, the intricate painting of harlequins.  But what always drew my attention the most was the legions of chaos, as an excuse to let my imagination run riot!

So with that in mind my choices were very limited to what I actually liked..

However, the new death guard settled it.  Always loved nurgle!!

This first update has no pictures, but what I've been working on is turning a set of bikes into something that better fits my image of the relentless sons of barbarus.
The first design rule was no rubber.  In the fluff any rubber just cracks and breaks on these guys.  So tyres were out.

Instead I've turned them into metal wheels with plastic plates.

Secondly, I wanted to slow them down visually for bikes, but make them relentless.  How did I do it?  With sticking tracks on the model!  Plus a dozer blade, on a bike!! Big Grin

For variety I've settled on the following:

Bike 1 - wheel front, single track back.
Bike 2 - wheel back (with rear directional steering), single track front.
Bike 3 - wheel front, double track back.

Bike 2 is proving a challenge, as I had to move the front wheel forks onto the back, whilst still having the handlebars on the front!

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
11-10-2017 04:44 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Bloodbeard 11-10-2017

Looking forward to seeing this. Putting my finishing touches on the first 2k of Death Guard this month. Going for a 'no two models alike' myself. So it's gonna be heavily converted.

Are you going to play? Bikes don't fit really well into a battle forged Death Guard detachment.

11-10-2017 06:12 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 714
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Skink 11-10-2017

Been a member of this forum for quite a while now, and I remember your old sculpting WIPs & your magnificent Ku´gath. If there´s somebody who can make Nurgle even more unique, that´s you! Keep us poted Happy

EDIT: I am glad I will see more minis coming from you, but a part of me is sad because you will postpone work on your 200+ Infernal Guards Sad ...

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!

This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 07:21 AM by Skink.

11-10-2017 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Grimstonefire 11-10-2017

@skink
I'll have a great Renaissance of chaos dwarfs at some point, when I finally get sorted buying my house.  They're my favourite army, and I fully intend to complete everything I have.

Thanks for the compliments btw.

My collection will not be for gaming, but to see truly warped creations might take some time.

Random question for the 40k fans.  What is the smallest space/chaos marine gun/ artillery that can't be carried by infantry?

11-10-2017 11:34 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Skink 11-10-2017

Grimstonefire Wrote:
Random question for the 40k fans.  What is the smallest space/chaos marine gun/ artillery that can't be carried by infantry?

One-hand guns I´d say? As in: Bolt/Grav/Plasma guns? I am not sure I understand the question....

This post was last modified: 11-12-2017 02:12 AM by Skink.

11-10-2017 05:26 PM
Ghrask Dragh
TeddyMadeMeDoIt...

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 855

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Ghrask Dragh 11-10-2017

Grimstonefire Wrote:

I believe it's the Noisy Cricket... wait, no sorry wrong IP! Got to be a bolt pistol right?

Yes indeed a blog from Grim is worth reading, I'll be looking forward to this, I can imagine your sculpting and painting style really suiting Pappa Nurgle and all his beasties

Cheers!

My Chaos Dwarf Blog
11-10-2017 06:56 PM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 536
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Thommy H 11-10-2017

The new Death Guard models are really nice - I've amassed my own plague-ridden legion over the last few months! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Grim.

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

11-10-2017 08:46 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1559
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)tjub 11-11-2017

Ah, this will be good!
Ive been toying with some Nurgle myself for W40K, but Chaos Squats of course. Happy

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

11-11-2017 02:45 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Grimstonefire 11-17-2017

Ghrask Dragh Wrote:

Grimstonefire Wrote:

I believe it's the Noisy Cricket... wait, no sorry wrong IP! Got to be a bolt pistol right?

Cheers!

No, I meant in terms of like a lascannon equivalent, but I know that can be carried obviously.  

I had in mind to convert something like a mobile artillery that has a gunner sitting up on a seat, tracks underneath, and a large cannon infront.

Just not sure which cannon to stick on it?

As an update, I've completed constructing the second bike now, I'm going to start doing the greenstuff tidy up and detail bits tomorrow.  Then hopefully some pics.

This post was last modified: 11-17-2017 08:01 PM by Grimstonefire.

11-17-2017 08:00 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Grimstonefire 12-23-2017

Still no pics as yet, but another small update.  I've assembled the three bikes, and all looking great.  I'm going to see if I need to convert the plague marine legs to fit on a bike, or use the biker legs but convert to a more plague marine look.

I've also been busy working on my next model.

It's a nurgle rhino, which has presented a huge technical challenge for me.  

Firstly the level of conversion.  Google nurgle tanks and there's hundreds with tentacles and eyes and all sorts, which imo (no offence to those that made them) doesn't fit with my vision of them as it's a little too cartoonish.

What I had in mind was basically to convert it to be as dilapidated and rusty as it's possible, but still looking like a functional fighting tank.  Might need more work to get to this look.

So I Googled lots of broken down rusty burned out tanks etc for inspiration.  There's some great images of a tank they pulled up from an ocean somewhere.

Secondly, the painting of it.  Here is where the technical challenge comes in.  I plan to throw every weathering technique there is at it.  Like the historical tank modellers do.

I'm also thinking of making this a based tank, like a mini diorama, with some of the basing material growing on the tank.

12-23-2017 10:25 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Grimstonefire 12-24-2017

https://goo.gl/images/ijJL82
https://goo.gl/images/icXa7D

This is more the sort of look I'm going for, where the models will incorporate some of the base textures and colours.  Hinting a little like they are decomposing.

12-24-2017 06:32 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Skink 12-24-2017

Mh... Don´t make your models too dark though. You already use a pretty dark palette on your miniatures (which works splendidly by the way), but the pics that you posted just look like big blobs of black with a few hints of flesh or green... I mean, I do think that the Eavy Metal´s paintjob is a bit too garish for Nurgle followers, but what´s the point in spending so many hours in sculpting eyes, sores, and tentacles if you are not going to make them pop???

Looking forward to see your minis though! A painjob from Grimstonefire makes for a great Xmas gift Big Grin

This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 06:44 AM by Skink.

12-24-2017 07:07 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Slaves: 1715
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Abecedar 12-25-2017

You've got me interested to see what eventuates.  Thats pretty good because 40K and nurgle normally don't arouse much for me

Last Time(s) I Bled for my Hobby  =  Fri 13th March 2020
27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time(s) I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
12-25-2017 06:22 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Grimstonefire 12-29-2017

@skink

That's very true.  I'm thinking to keep it quite light but with greater levels of surface texture.  

The bikers proved to be a small challenge.  The models are considerably larger than the chaos bikers themselves.  So effectively the models are "sitting" about 2-3mm above the seat.

However, you could only tell looking really, closely and I'm chuffed with the result.

The gunner in the rhino hatch is a bit silly really.  I replaced with a plague marine and there's no way he could possibly get in or out through the hole.  But it looks cool.  Likewise with the standard model he's considerably larger.

12-29-2017 04:57 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Skink 12-29-2017

Grimstonefire Wrote:
The bikers proved to be a small challenge...

Pics already!!!! Hashut!Hashut!Hashut!

12-29-2017 07:32 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Grimstonefire 02-04-2018

I never managed to track down the microbeads I was planning to use, so instead I'm working through the models doing what I'm calling "Phase 1".  Which is effectively painting to a reasonable standard all the models, then when I come to base them I will have these beads and add a layer of texture to the models.

Despite my initial thoughts, I've been thinking I will actually paint each model in a different colour scheme!?!  Which sounds crazy, and it's not something I'd ever have considered with a Warhammer army....

Essentially they are all shades of green.  with a yellow trim for shoulder pads etc.  Red as a spot colour, and purple for any cloth.

So far I've mostly painted 4 plague marines up to say 75% done (phase 1), and the flying drone thing.

Yet to come up with a fluff reason for why they are all different shades of green???

02-04-2018 06:09 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Grimstonefire 08-19-2018

I've now painted up 4 plague marines, 4 terminators, the blight drone thing is about 75% there, and I've done a load of work on the plague zombies and a rhino as well.

Still no clue as to what to do for basing though???

The 3 bikes all assembled and one about half painted.

This post was last modified: 08-19-2018 07:28 AM by Grimstonefire.

08-19-2018 07:27 AM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Skink 08-20-2018

Show us pics. Seeing the colors on your minis helps us helping you (cit. Scrubs).

08-20-2018 02:37 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Grimstonefire 08-20-2018

Here they are, in various stages of completeness.  And all needing basing

I'm thinking the tank needs a suitable freehand on the top?

I am planning to base the tank as well. Haha. With one of the doors down. Like a mini diorama.

08-20-2018 02:30 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: Pestilent Brotherhood (40k)Grimstonefire 08-20-2018

You'll notice that almost no two models are painted the same colours, which is very deliberate on my part.

I imagine this being more like a holy crusade drawing warriors from all different warbands together, as nurgle calls.

I'm sure I have a couple more plague marines painted somewhere.

08-20-2018 02:34 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Bronze Brotherhood, the Twiceforged, the Battleborn Thommy H 22 15,267 10-03-2015 03:44 PM
Last Post: Thommy H

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites