Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!
Author MessageCastle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1216
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Willmark 01-01-2018

As if I don't have enough "irons in the fire" as it were when it comes to Warhammer projects my thoughts have been turning to the next large scale terrain project. What got me thinking about it is this: https://www.blackgate.com/wp-content/upl...thouse.jpg

T1 The Village of Hommlet was a classic, seminal module for many and the Moathouse  (meat grinder thought it was/is) stands a indelible image of AD&D. I think for me it would be fairly easy to do something like this, but its already been done as it were. And I should add its an excellent model all around so no need to do it again.

So with that in mind my thoughts have started to coalesce around this:

It's certainly an ambitious undertaking at a 25-28mm scale, but after this I think I can pull it off: http://dogsofwaronline.com/forum/showthr...0#pid22160

I don't think anyone has ever done something quite like this in terms of an old-school module as a terrain piece, that is in WFRP terms.

Now, I do have the module (obviously) but one thing I'd have to decide early on is which route to go. What do I mean by that? The floor plan/map is not the same as the art which is to be expected.

The tougher route to go with is the art because its just that one picture from the cover and the backside not shown would require some guess work based on the map.

My Want List / My Trade List

This post was last modified: 01-14-2018 01:05 PM by Willmark.

01-01-2018 11:56 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1389
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!tjub 01-01-2018

That sounds so cool to be honest, I wish I had more space and time for projects like that!

My various other hobby projects on Instagram.

01-01-2018 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1349
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Grimstonefire 01-01-2018

Which angle of that map are we looking at in the drawing?  Bit confusing.

It certainly looks like a massive project.  Personally I'd do it on 5mm scale first with hardboard just to work out the angles etc.  A mock up model

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
01-01-2018 12:44 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Willmark 01-01-2018

Grimstonefire Wrote:
Which angle of that map are we looking at in the drawing?  Bit confusing.

It certainly looks like a massive project.  Personally I'd do it on 5mm scale first with hardboard just to work out the angles etc.  A mock up model

Lets see if I can describe it. The art corresponds to the map as if one were looking at it from roughly where the mutant(s), and/or guard is standing; at a 45 degree angle as it were looking up. Make sense?

I posted it because the art and the map don't really match up. They are roughly the same but no where near identical, not that it matters IMO.

I like the soaring architecture of Ian Miller's art, although I like the map very much too. Interestingly enough it fits the style of 6th Edition terrain and there are a lot of articles out there covering terrain making for that time frame.

And 5mm? Have you just met me? Caution be damned, I just dive into stuff! Wink

This post was last modified: 01-01-2018 01:13 PM by Willmark.

01-01-2018 01:02 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1349
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Grimstonefire 01-02-2018

So where circle 26 is, looking towards the "ground floor" text is?  That's basically the angle of the art I think?

It's a very interesting design for a castle.  I think if I were to build a whole castle I'd probably do the Impossible Fortress, or (more likely) a plague castle.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
01-02-2018 05:01 PM
Grimbold Blackhammer
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 199
Best General - 2012 Scribe's Contest Silver Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Grimbold Blackhammer 01-03-2018

Gods man, how do you stay married with all this activity!!  Love it!!

Grimbold Blackhammer

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/
01-03-2018 09:45 AM
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 207
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Carcearion 01-03-2018

This would be a hell of build, can't wait to see the beginnings!

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
01-03-2018 12:23 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 523
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Admiral 01-03-2018

In your shoes I'd try and mimic the artwork as closely as possible for that striking impression. Everything else, shoehorn in map elements where feasible. Towering project and astounding ambition! Looking forward to see it unfold.

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXV - Voting Deadline 13th of September ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
01-03-2018 01:14 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Slaves: 1312
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!cornixt 01-03-2018

That's huge. If it is anything like the quality of your Japanese buildings then it is going to be seriously impressive.

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
01-03-2018 05:39 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Willmark 01-03-2018

Grimstonefire Wrote:
So where circle 26 is, looking towards the "ground floor" text is?  That's basically the angle of the art I think?

I think it might be confusing you is the fact that the ground floor is at the top, then the upper level is on the bottom of the map.

Perhaps another way to look at it is north is to the top on the map. In the art the viewer is roughly looking northwest towards the castle.

Grimbold Blackhammer Wrote:
Gods man, how do you stay married with all this activity!!  Love it!!

Heh, you'll want to check out my terrain thread on the site, I'm posting pictures of a barrow I did based on the plans from the General's Compendium. Its almost done.  Don't know I just keep churning out stuff.

01-03-2018 10:16 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Willmark 01-08-2018

I have started on this...

01-08-2018 11:52 AM
Carcearion
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 207
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Carcearion 01-08-2018

This will be amazing for skirmish wargaming once its finished!!! Shock

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
01-08-2018 05:31 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Willmark 01-11-2018

I made some very good headway last night and should have pictures up, tonight possibly.

Even though I just started on it I was a bit frustrated the first few nights because the basic shape and trying to get the scale right wasn’t coming together. So as I do when painting and a model isn’t quite right, I stepped back. So what I did was start from the top down. I knew I could easily make the top portions of the middle gatehouse so I started there. That helped a LOT.

I’ll also need to decide just where to post one thread about this. Could be on DoWO, various other forums or my blog.

01-11-2018 09:27 AM
Sjoerdo
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 105
Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Sjoerdo 01-11-2018

Pictures would be great , I will follow the progress Cheers!

Maybe you can downsize the pictures in the first post, they're making it very hard to read subsequent posts.

01-11-2018 10:48 AM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Willmark 01-11-2018

Sjoerdo Wrote:
Pictures would be great , I will follow the progress Cheers!

Maybe you can downsize the pictures in the first post, they're making it very hard to read subsequent posts.

What you mean by downsize? It is showing up fine for me on mobile an on the computer. How is it showing for you?

This post was last modified: 01-13-2018 12:34 PM by Willmark.

01-11-2018 09:45 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Also... I've begun.

Just kidding.

I've actually got more complete but not enough to show yet. The wine boxes are key, I don't like wine but the wife does so we got some boxed stuff for the holidays. I'm always on the lookout for building materials and the cardboard is VERY strong. Just what I was looking for certain portions of the base: strong but light. With how big this is going to get it needs to cut weight when and where I can.

If all goes well I should have pictures up of the initial progress.

I also need to decide where I want to have the discussion. I'm moving this to the right forum now. But I mean have the discussion here or elsewhere; haven't decided yet.

This post was last modified: 01-11-2018 09:55 PM by Willmark.

01-11-2018 09:51 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Willmark 01-13-2018

I’ve been working away steadily for several nights now but still not quite at the stage of photos I can share. I’ve been taking a few pics here and there as I go so the first update will be quite big.

If I had to guess “probably” by Sunday I should have it a stage where it’s at least presentable as it were.

This post was last modified: 01-13-2018 12:33 PM by Willmark.

01-13-2018 12:31 PM
Sjoerdo
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 105
Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Sjoerdo 01-14-2018

On my windows computer the page is now about two meters wide Happy

Stop teasing, pictures!

01-14-2018 04:21 AM
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 196

RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!Uther the unhinged 01-14-2018

Wow. Your ambition is great. Can’t wait for the next update.

01-14-2018 05:59 AM
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 294
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Castle Von Wittgenstein Scale Model, Yes I might be that Mad!TheHoodedMan 01-14-2018

I know from your other projects that will work out. Good luck, I am rely looking forward to the first WIPs.

01-14-2018 08:52 AM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Unfinished Modular Castle dncswlf 9 3,828 01-23-2010 07:41 PM
Last Post: dncswlf

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites