Post Reply  Post Thread 
Working with plastic card
Author MessageWorking with plastic card
tjub
Hat or Die!

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1332
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
Working with plastic cardtjub 02-01-2018

Im looking for tips and ideas when working with plastic card. How to get straight cuts, keep angles etc. Do you guys have any useful do and donts?Evil idea

Buy your 15mm Chaos Dwarf "Tjublings" here!
Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

02-01-2018 01:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Carcearion
Daemon Prince of Hashut

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 192
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: Working with plastic cardCarcearion 02-01-2018

Hmmm... I have always drawn on my shapes and then used a very sharp set of hobby scissors. I like to cut things in excess initially and then sand down the piece to the correct size.

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
02-01-2018 02:27 PM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Working with plastic cardBloodbeard 02-02-2018

I think Mr. Fuggit Khan is the man to ask...

02-02-2018 04:31 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bas_2312
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 446
Golden Hat - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Working with plastic cardbas_2312 02-02-2018

For details like wood grain I use this tool:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/7.../index.htm

It's awesome.

For normal cutting I use a normal hobby knife (and a ruler for the straight cuts).

Check out some of my other stuff:
-Big Hat Ogres
-Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs
-Halfling Empire
-Scifi stuff
02-02-2018 08:40 AM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1332
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Working with plastic cardtjub 02-03-2018

Great, thanks!
Jupp, I had a little chat with James as well since I dont know how often he checks CDO these days... Happy

Buy your 15mm Chaos Dwarf "Tjublings" here!
Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

02-03-2018 04:26 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 501
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Working with plastic cardFuggit Khan 02-04-2018

Carcearion Wrote:
I like to cut things in excess initially and then sand down the piece to the correct size.

Absolutely yes!  That's probably the best tip for custom plastic work.

tjub Wrote:
Great, thanks!
Jupp, I had a little chat with James as well since I dont know how often he checks CDO these days... Happy

I'm still here  Happy
I don't post as much, but still lurking in the background as any true Hobgoblin does  Hobgoblin
More tips:
If building 3D war machines, etc, then it's helpful to cut out shapes in paper and tape the pieces together. Once you have the size approximated, then use the paper pieces as templates on-the-go plastic card. All the parts will fit together perfectly after that.
I use plastic model nippers to cut the plastic card, it cuts clean and won't bend the card. For really thick plastic card, use meat scissors, the type that cuts chicken.
Use metal needle files to shape the card. They're very precise for exact shapes. Finish up with nail file emery boards. Super cheap to buy them in a nail salon (hobby emery boards are overrated, don't waste your money on those, just buy nail salon ones).
Don't bother to try cutting circular shapes directly in plastic card. It'll warp the plastic and make uneven curves. Instead cut out an angle, and then use files to shape the actual curved edge.
Cuss alot. Plastic loves cussing. And remember who's the boss. Don't like the part you just cut out?  Pineapple that plastic bit into the trash, like the worthless gnoblar it is.
Zorn Uzkul wasn't built in a day, so take your time.

Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
02-04-2018 04:19 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1364
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Working with plastic cardGrimstonefire 02-04-2018

A few bits of advice I'd give.

Get a super sharp knife, and replace/sharpen the blades often.

Repeatedly slice down to get through thick pieces (rather than using clippers and filing), my own preference.

I'd echo Fuggit on throwing away anything that it's exactly how you want it, and doing test runs in card first.  Saves so much time.

Also, if you need something of a certain thickness, don't be cheap and stick two bits together thinking when you file it down it will all look perfect, invariably there will be a glue line or imperfections.  Just buy it the right thickness and it will be fine.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 02-04-2018 06:04 PM by Grimstonefire.

02-04-2018 06:02 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 551
Scribe's Contest Gold Golden Hat - Silver Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Working with plastic cardJackswift 02-05-2018

It sounds like there are a number of techniques in use here.  All are good and result in different levels of detail.  I prefer the score and snap method which works well on anything 1mm or less.  Draw your lines or attach a template paper with double sided tape and then cut them with a knife with one or two passes.  As already stated make sure you are using a sharp blade.  Try to keep the angle of your blade edge straight up and down unless you want the edge of the cut to have an angle.  The object is not to cut all the way through, but just to get a nice guide line carved.  The thicker the card the more passes you should do.  Then just take the card and snap it in two bending the two sides of the cut away from each other.  The card will break along the cut.  Sometimes you need to do a bit of cleanup with a file if the card is thick or the knife cut at an angle.  Overall a much faster way than having to cut all the way through and a bit less wear on the knife blades.   Complex cuts and curves must be done more carefully.  For angles I start with one straight line and then score the other before attempting any break off.  Where I can I just cut to the edge and remove as much as I can of the piece before starting on the next angle curve or corner.  Ultimately you should try each technique and figure out what works best for you and what you are trying to accomplish.  Cheers!

This post was last modified: 02-05-2018 05:09 PM by Jackswift.

02-05-2018 05:08 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1199
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Working with plastic cardWillmark 02-06-2018

I’ll second of be score and snap method. Any time I’ve done it I’ve used that method. Just need to make sure your knife is sharpe; bad or old blades are a no no here... and in general.

My Want List / My Trade List
02-06-2018 02:38 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Plastic Card Da Crusha 4 1,098 06-22-2012 07:25 PM
Last Post: Da Crusha
  Plastic card weapons? Kera foehunter 6 1,585 08-21-2009 04:53 PM
Last Post: Kera foehunter

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites