Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   The Penguin's Desert Dwarfs
Author MessageThe Penguin's Desert Dwarfs
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 284
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsAdmiral 07-07-2018

Nice concepts and paintjobs! Always a treat to read your army background.

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXXI - Deadline 16th of November ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
07-07-2018 04:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 264

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsThe_Penguin 07-09-2018

tjub Wrote:
Looks ace, and great use of models there! Happy

Thank you very much! Takes Hat off

Admiral Wrote:
Nice concepts and paintjobs! Always a treat to read your army background.

Thanks! Well, apparently I like this particular army a lot, so I am inspired to write for them. ) Happy

And another small update today with "supporting units". KoW has two wonderful units:  Dragon Fire Team (which is basically a flamethrower on a cavalry size base) and Mutated mastiff pack (which is basically lots of dogs being hunted on enemy). So here's my take on them.

Desert Dwarf Bomber

Engineering is a well-respected profession in Desert Dwarf society. Some engineers specialize on steam machinery, some on weapons, some on explosives. The latter are highly valued because the success that Desert Dwarf armies have in keeping in bay feral orks, snobbish humans, or restless undead is largely due to them. Some eccentric engineers join the army and pack as many explosives or bombs as possible only to rain them on the enemy during combat. When you hear maniacal laughter and hear explosions, better stay clear of that area, no matter whether you are a friend or a foe.

Desert Firelings

Technically these nasty pests are akin to efreeti, however Ophidian wizards still debate on the matter. Some say they are unformed fire elementals, who roam the land in search of sources of heat. That is why most of them can be spotted in hot deserts or volcanic plains in the north. Desert Dwarf sorcerers have managed to tame them and use them effectively on the battlefield. They can't really win you a battle, but are perfect for distracting big blocks of enemy infantry from your positions.

I hope you liked this update! Any comments, please? ) Takes Hat off

"But we, your brethren, scorned the Ancestor gods, and mocked your foolish rune rituals, and preferred instead our bull god Hashut. Who can blame us if it were you and your gods who left us?"

Golden Sands Desert Dwarfs

This post was last modified: 07-09-2018 03:10 AM by The_Penguin.

07-09-2018 03:00 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1496
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsAbecedar 07-09-2018

Great supporting Units.  I love your mad bomber

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
07-09-2018 03:46 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsAdmiral 07-10-2018

Lovely bomber and fire mite swarms! Been thinking about a fire daemon swarm as well.

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
07-10-2018 05:29 AM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsThe_Penguin 07-10-2018

Abecedar Wrote:
Great supporting Units.  I love your mad bomber

Thanks a lot! Takes Hat off I just need to see how he shows himself on the battlefield. I never used dragonflame team in my KoW battles before.

Admiral Wrote:
Lovely bomber and fire mite swarms! Been thinking about a fire daemon swarm as well.

Thank you very much! Cheers!
I have always wanted to create something like that for one of my armies, but most of them do not actually imply having cute little firelings. So finally with a new KoW rules update I decided to go for them. )

Edit: Ooh! I am a deamonsmith finally! Hm, that calls for something suitable for me to present next time! Wink

"But we, your brethren, scorned the Ancestor gods, and mocked your foolish rune rituals, and preferred instead our bull god Hashut. Who can blame us if it were you and your gods who left us?"

This post was last modified: 07-10-2018 06:12 AM by The_Penguin.

07-10-2018 06:09 AM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsThe_Penguin 07-11-2018

It is finally time to add something new to the army. So here it comes, stomping our way through the sands.

Greater Golem

Each Desert Dwarf Greater Golem is a work of art of its own kind. They are created not only to strike fear in the hearts of enemies, but also to inspire their own troops by showing the magnificent mastery and sense of beauty of the artisans and mages who created these amazing automaton constructs.
Greater Golems are decorated with mostly gold, silver, bronze and iron. Some of those who envy the mastery of Desert Dwarfs say that they spotted clay (!) that was supposedly used to mask or repair cracks in the leg area of the golem. Bah, what nonsense, isn't it?!

See you next time! And make your golems properly! Takes Hat off

07-11-2018 03:37 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1496
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsAbecedar 07-11-2018

Nice and mean.  Definitely achieves the impressiveness you desired.  And the inspiring with mastery is a goal in its own.
With my first K'Daii i went the opposite route. With bare girder constructs and bound fire daemons clung to that.
Throw-away troops, so just thrown together and certainly less inspiring.   My own Greater Golem is still a WiP.  Will look to yours for inspiration.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.

This post was last modified: 07-11-2018 04:29 AM by Abecedar.

07-11-2018 04:26 AM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsThe_Penguin 07-16-2018

Abecedar Wrote:
Nice and mean.  Definitely achieves the impressiveness you desired.  And the inspiring with mastery is a goal in its own.
With my first K'Daii i went the opposite route. With bare girder constructs and bound fire daemons clung to that.
Throw-away troops, so just thrown together and certainly less inspiring.   My own Greater Golem is still a WiP.  Will look to yours for inspiration.

Well, thank you very much! Takes Hat off I am looking forward to seeing your Greater Golem. Cheers!

And another small update today:

Desert Dwarf Lord's Court

Desert Dwarf lords are numerous and have different titles. One remains unchanged: a wise ruler will surround himself with equally wise people. Only a fool will rely on his own opinion in matters of war and peace, so Desert Dwarf lords are usually accompanied by two viziers. Not only are they a great help in civil routine, but also powerful sorcerers on the battlefield.

Desert Dwarf Architect

Architects are a weird lot. Sometimes they are cruel beyond measure with their whip and slaves shiver just by mentioning the name, but sometimes they are inspired individuals who design architectural wonders and would dance around a stone column decorating it with most intricate ornaments for the whole day. However when time of war comes they often accompany Desert dwarf armies, whipping slave orks and driving them forward. Ork often do not mind even. Because the fittest surviving ones will most likely be taken to Architect's workshop. They are better fed and even looked after! Every slave's dream.

See you next time! Be wise and do not whip your slaves too severely! Takes Hat off

This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 01:17 PM by The_Penguin.

07-16-2018 01:15 PM
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 206

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsUther the unhinged 07-16-2018

Brill bomber, fantastic fire spirits and truly awesome golem. I love the way your army hangs together. The court is good too all amazing. Of course the sorcerors have got the books the wrong way round but that seems to be standard in fantasy. I guess if you can do magic it really doesn’t matter. Can’t wait for more!

07-16-2018 01:39 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsAdmiral 07-16-2018

Excellent progress! Great work on both the big Golem, court and architect. Tasty updates with neat background stories. You're amassing a completely finished army at breakneck speed!

07-16-2018 04:59 PM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsThe_Penguin 07-17-2018

Uther the unhinged Wrote:
Brill bomber, fantastic fire spirits and truly awesome golem. I love the way your army hangs together. The court is good too all amazing. Of course the sorcerors have got the books the wrong way round but that seems to be standard in fantasy. I guess if you can do magic it really doesn’t matter. Can’t wait for more!

Thanks a lot! Takes Hat off Well the sorcerers are indeed somewhat of a show-off, since they show that they do not even need books to throw some fireballs at the enemy. Or perhaps they are just books with laws written down that they have to show to their master from time to time, so that he doesn't break them too often. Happy

Admiral Wrote:
Excellent progress! Great work on both the big Golem, court and architect. Tasty updates with neat background stories. You're amassing a completely finished army at breakneck speed!

Thanks you! Cheers! Well, I paint slower than that, some of the miniatures were complete some time ago. I usually finish some, and then post them in a bunch.

And I feel sort of sad. The army is almost complete, so I'll have to switch to some terrain pieces or completely other armies eventually. Sad

07-17-2018 04:25 AM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1404
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: The Penguin's Desert Dwarfstjub 07-17-2018

The_Penguin Wrote:
And I feel sort of sad. The army is almost complete, so I'll have to switch to some terrain pieces or completely other armies eventually. Sad

Hah, that is not true at all. Now is simply the time to try out a new concept/theme. I think Im on my 4th Chaos Dwarf army at the moment and did 6+ Kadaii concepts, so fear not! Cheers!

My various other hobby projects on Instagram.

07-17-2018 07:30 AM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

tjub Wrote:
Hah, that is not true at all. Now is simply the time to try out a new concept/theme. I think Im on my 4th Chaos Dwarf army at the moment and did 6+ Kadaii concepts, so fear not! Cheers!

Thank you! Happy Well, I guess I indeed had an alternative concept in my head before I started this army..... Wink

07-17-2018 08:12 AM
boyfights
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 60

RE: The Penguin's Desert Dwarfsboyfights 07-17-2018

Gorgeous stuff, the skin tones on your dwarfs and orcs are really nice and some of your faces almost look more like portraits Shock

Would I be out of line asking how you achieved that greyish look on your orcs? I love it and I'd like to try something similar on one of my 15mm Frostgrave tribes, I expect to end up with eight or so different greenskin tribes so some different skin tones would help break things up Happy

07-17-2018 08:24 AM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

boyfights Wrote:
Gorgeous stuff, the skin tones on your dwarfs and orcs are really nice and some of your faces almost look more like portraits Shock

Would I be out of line asking how you achieved that greyish look on your orcs? I love it and I'd like to try something similar on one of my 15mm Frostgrave tribes, I expect to end up with eight or so different greenskin tribes so some different skin tones would help break things up Happy

Thank you very much! Takes Hat off

I use Vallejo Paints, more specifically Refractive Green (a bit toned down). With a highlight of tan mixed with a drop of green. Happy

Looking forward too seeing your tribes! I definitely need to look into Frostgrave, I heard it is actually a very good game. A shame I know nobody in my area who plays it. Unsure

07-17-2018 09:46 AM
boyfights
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

That's lucky for me, I have been sticking with Vallejo as well since getting back into gaming, I'd never used their products before but I've been very happy with them so far. I will add that one to my shopping list, thank you Happy

Ironically I haven't played a single game of it either, though the rules do look like a lot of fun! I don't have a gaming group (just a couple opponents that I see a few times a year, and a wife that I'm hoping I can talk into trying some games) but there are several Frostgrave scenarios that are designed to be run co-op or solo, so I plan to adapt the rules to my own scenarios and run an epic solo campaign once all my materials are in order to get my semi-regular gaming fix Happy I've got other solo-friendly games in mind for later in the pipeline like Chain of Command and maybe Sharp's Practice, but that'll be a while off yet!

If you were interested in trying Frostgrave solo, the Dark Alchemy supplement contains a 3-scenario campaign. I grabbed the pdfs from the Google Play store with some spare credit as they seem to be perpetually ~50% off, I think the main book and supplement might run you $15ish (in Dollaroonies, whatever that translates to in real money)

07-17-2018 10:21 AM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

boyfights Wrote:
That's lucky for me, I have been sticking with Vallejo as well since getting back into gaming, I'd never used their products before but I've been very happy with them so far. I will add that one to my shopping list, thank you Happy

You are most welcome! Happy Yes, their paints are of a very good quality.

boyfights Wrote:
and a wife that I'm hoping I can talk into trying some games)

That seldom worked with my GFs..... Big Grin

boyfights Wrote:
I've got other solo-friendly games in mind for later in the pipeline like Chain of Command and maybe Sharp's Practice, but that'll be a while off yet!

Oh, never heard of these! I should definitely check them out! Happy

boyfights Wrote:
If you were interested in trying Frostgrave solo, the Dark Alchemy supplement contains a 3-scenario campaign.

Thanks for the tip! I have been working on a skirmish gme board for some time already. I had KoW Vanguard in mind, but as far as I understand Frostgrave will work as well!

Cheers! Takes Hat off

07-17-2018 11:06 AM
boyfights
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

I should mention that chain of command and sharp's practice are historical games as well, which may or may not be to your liking. I've heard nothing but praise for both systems though Happy

I've never heard of KoW vanguard, will have to check that out as well; frostgrave is strictly limited to smaller groups, and I expect that I will want to do some bigger battles at some point in my campaign, so I'll be needing a second rule set whether mordheim or whatever else. Absolutely beautiful board though, do you have more pictures of it?

07-17-2018 04:16 PM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsThe_Penguin 07-18-2018

boyfights Wrote:
Absolutely beautiful board though, do you have more pictures of it?

KoW Vanguard can be used as a prelude to the battle itself, so there is a lot of appeal for me there. Happy

Sure, there you go. I guess it can be used for any skirmish gaming system:

I still need topaint it all! Shock

07-18-2018 02:34 PM
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 206

RE: The Penguin's Desert DwarfsUther the unhinged 07-18-2018

Wow, just wow. Fantastic scenery. I don’t even want to think about the amoint of thought and work. Looks beautiful

07-18-2018 03:56 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites