Post Reply  Post Thread 
Golden Hat XXX - Voting!
Author MessageGolden Hat XXX - Voting!
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 183
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
Golden Hat XXX - Voting!Admiral 07-12-2018

”Power overwhelming.”

Warcolours presents: The voting thread for the 30th Golden Hat competition!

How to vote:
Please submit 2 numbers as votes by sending a PM to the Golden Hat account (a special account all Staff members can access). We had 5 entries this time, which means each entrant will receive 5 slaves once the winners have been announced.

Each (more or less) anonymous entry is numbered ranging from 1 to 5. There is no need to specify which one you think is 1st or 2nd. Simply list the two that you like and we will do the rest. You are not allowed to vote for yourself.

Voting will close at 11:59 PM July 18th, 2018 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone). Once the votes are tallied we will post the results.

No attachments since one of the images was too large to fit an attachment.

Album of images.

Remember, this round there are lots of prizes up for grabs!

Great job everyone and good luck!
The Staff

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXX - Voting Deadline 18th of July ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
07-12-2018 01:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Will Liam
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 307
Golden Hat - Silver Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Golden Hat XXX - Voting!Will Liam 07-12-2018

My votes are in but I recon if some of you guys where are able to use or make a light box my votes could be very different - seems a little unfair sometimes when I'm voting - I just use a white foam vegetable ice box with the top and sides cut out - three bed side lamps with white light LED bulbs and some soft fiberglass material taped over the box holes to defuse the light - the whole setup looks like crap but does the job - I also use ipiccy (its free) to crop and get the exposure of the picture to how it looks in real life (I try and match the color of the GW grass to get my colors correct) - new expensive cameras have this built in with color correction so if your camera sux or is old like my one id give ipiccy a go too as it helps a lot i think - Anyways all the entrees are great and love the ideas - best of luck everyone

Don't ever chase what they are never going to give you!!

Will Liam - finished Chaos Dwarf and Hobgoblins
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=16923
07-12-2018 06:01 AM
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1221
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Golden Hat XXX - Voting!Zanko 07-12-2018

Awesome entries guys! Takes Hat off

My votes are in too! Big Grin

Good luck to every participant! Cheers!

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

07-12-2018 12:49 PM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 613
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Golden Hat XXX - Voting!Fuggit Khan 07-14-2018

My first thought was only 5 entries?
I was really hoping for more entrants, because I love seeing all of your work and creative builds, but then I kicked myself, remembering that I didn't enter, so who am I to complain?  Wink
Some very nice entries to be sure, and even though I thought at first that it would be a simple choice to pick three of the five, I again was wrong. Tough choices! Good job everyone!

Will Liam Wrote:
My votes are in but I recon if some of you guys where are able to use or make a light box my votes could be very different - seems a little unfair sometimes when I'm voting -

I totally agree with you, but the one entry is absolutely wonderful and worthy of a vote  Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
07-14-2018 07:45 AM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 211

RE: Golden Hat XXX - Voting!The_Penguin 07-15-2018

I have voted as well. Very strong entries everybody! Happy

I too think that better pictures might have earned more favor in case of certain entries. Perhaps we need to add a rule for plain backgrounds or focused images for future contests? That way we may enjoy good works in their full glory. ) Big Grin

"But we, your brethren, scorned the Ancestor gods, and mocked your foolish rune rituals, and preferred instead our bull god Hashut. Who can blame us if it were you and your gods who left us?"

Golden Sands Desert Dwarfs
07-15-2018 02:53 AM
Will Liam
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 307
Golden Hat - Silver Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Golden Hat XXX - Voting!Will Liam 07-15-2018

The_Penguin Wrote:
I have voted as well. Very strong entries everybody! Happy

I too think that better pictures might have earned more favor in case of certain entries. Perhaps we need to add a rule for plain backgrounds or focused images for future contests? That way we may enjoy good works in their full glory. ) Big Grin

It’s a hard one - I love the relaxed overall feel of these competitions and think they should stay that way myself but also I don’t want an unfair advantage because of being able to take a clearer picture - I’ve just put it out there about the way I take pics because I think people might like to see if it works for them - I’ve noticed with neutral backgrounds like black or white it can sometimes dominate the camera settings and make all kinda weird things happen to the photos - l wonder if we could use flat plain colour backgrounds to overcome the problem in the future? Open comp so anything goes this time around though Happy

Don't ever chase what they are never going to give you!!

Will Liam - finished Chaos Dwarf and Hobgoblins
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=16923
07-15-2018 09:18 AM
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 148

RE: Golden Hat XXX - Voting!Uther the unhinged 07-15-2018

Great entries. Why is it always so hard to choose? Anyway a quick poll of the kids always helps. My votes are in.

Thinking about lighting etc I agree with Will Liam. Advice is always good but the openess and acceptance of this group is its best feature imo. Too strict can put people off or stifle creativity.

Personally my painting always looks better in soft focus.... at a distance.... in poor light.....late at night ...... and after a few beers.

07-15-2018 09:36 AM
The_Penguin
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 211

RE: Golden Hat XXX - Voting!The_Penguin 07-15-2018

Will Liam Wrote:
It’s a hard one - I love the relaxed overall feel of these competitions and think they should stay that way myself but also I don’t want an unfair advantage because of being able to take a clearer picture - I’ve just put it out there about the way I take pics because I think people might like to see if it works for them - I’ve noticed with neutral backgrounds like black or white it can sometimes dominate the camera settings and make all kinda weird things happen to the photos - l wonder if we could use flat plain colour backgrounds to overcome the problem in the future? Open comp so anything goes this time around though Happy

Uther the unhinged Wrote:
Thinking about lighting etc I agree with Will Liam. Advice is always good but the openess and acceptance of this group is its best feature imo. Too strict can put people off or stifle creativity.

Personally my painting always looks better in soft focus.... at a distance.... in poor light.....late at night ...... and after a few beers.

Well, I guess you have a point here, guys. Cheers! Making restrictions about pics may indeed put off some people, which is highly undesirable of course. I can't help but feel that people who post blurry pics or pics with other visual defects simply do not respect enough those who are going to view and evaluate their work. Especially if it is not wip but a complete work. But I guess I am thinking too much here..... Happy

After all I have voted for one blurry entry myself and that didn't really stop me from admiring the work! Takes Hat off

"But we, your brethren, scorned the Ancestor gods, and mocked your foolish rune rituals, and preferred instead our bull god Hashut. Who can blame us if it were you and your gods who left us?"

Golden Sands Desert Dwarfs
07-15-2018 04:41 PM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1354
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Golden Hat XXX - Voting!tjub 07-16-2018

White Dwarf had a great article about taking photos: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018...r-display/

Great work you guys and cool with the variation of the entries, too bad I didn't make it myself this time. Too much summer stuff and other projects. And that said, Ill really try to enter in future contests. I really appreciate all the work put into this by both staff and members alike!

This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 03:46 AM by tjub.

07-16-2018 03:45 AM
Helblindi
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 236
Scribe's Contest Gold Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS                               
RE: Golden Hat XXX - Voting!Helblindi 07-16-2018

Don't really see the problem here, competition-wise. Don't think blurry photos are a lack of respect for viewers either. Better quality pics give you an advantage, so either you make the effort of building a lightbox and/or get a better camera, or you accept that you'll get fewer votes.

Helblindi's Throng: Karak Brothar
My Evil Throng: Helblindi's Legion
My Blood Bowl stuff
07-16-2018 02:41 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 183
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Golden Hat XXX - Voting!Admiral Yesterday

Very good discussion and valid points on both sides. It has been brought up before, and we could e.g. demand blank backgrounds. Ultimately, we like to keep it open, and indeed those who can manage good photography will have an advantage, one which is only fair that they have. We're just happy people enters, at the end of the day.

Another thing on photography is the subjective part. What is a classy background to one, is messy to another. And what is a quality shot to one ("Best I've ever taken in good lighting too, wohoo! This new phone has a marvelous camera, decidedly better than any dedicated camera I've ever owned!") is a mediocre picture to another, best fixed with better photography. The latter example is from one of my own product shots, haha. Big Grin

But please keep the photographical advice coming, it's useful.

Two days left to vote.

Cheers!

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXX - Voting Deadline 18th of July ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
Yesterday 01:51 AM
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1233
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Golden Hat XXX - Voting!Nicodemus Yesterday

Votes are in! Great work everyone involved!!

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

Yesterday 02:18 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Golden Hat XXIX - Voting Admiral 8 2,188 02-08-2018 05:29 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Golden Hat XXVIII - Voting! Admiral 16 2,209 11-16-2017 12:31 PM
Last Post: Admiral
  Golden Hat XXVII - Voting! Admiral 24 3,639 07-08-2017 11:56 PM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Golden Hat XXVI - Voting! Admiral 34 6,102 12-28-2016 06:55 PM