Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   Make Zharr-Naggrund Great Again
Author MessageMake Zharr-Naggrund Great Again
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1337
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great Againcornixt 05-01-2019

It is now complete. I'm not doing the other competitions, I think I got RSI from all the copy/pasting. Might want to make them as a separate post in the same thread and then retitle the thread. I also haven't doubled-checked all of the links, so there is a chance that one or two are wrong.

If any mod wants to edit the format a bit then they are welcome to do so. It's a bit harder to read than I thought when I came up with it.

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.
There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

This post was last modified: 05-01-2019 12:02 PM by cornixt.

05-01-2019 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 593
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great AgainAdmiral 05-01-2019

Thanks a lot! This is very good work. Cheers!

Tennis elbow is indeed what copy-pasting salvage does. Please take care. I can recommend investing in this support device:

I wear one all the time while working at the desk (typing, drawing, sculpting). I had 2 or 3 applied during the end phase of the 2017 image salvage.

We'll cover Artisan's and Scribe's Contest in times ahead, no worries. Golden Hat is the big one. Thank you very much for handling that, cornixt!

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 05-01-2019 12:53 PM by Admiral.

05-01-2019 12:50 PM
Malorndk
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 1154
Word of Hashut - Contributor Platinum Army Medal - 6000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Platinum Best General - 2016                               
RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great AgainMalorndk 05-27-2019

Late to the party, but oh well. I echo much that is said:

Forums having archieve features compared to facebook, but the later being day to day easier to use.
Old world dying
GW killing WFB for AOS
Evil archetype being spread thin over multiple search terms from different game systemts and kickstarter designers.
General lack of forum activity. The medium is old
Problem for new members getting in.

For me the biggest hype killer was the whole Photobucket disaster, which is still ongoing.
I can't motivate myself to post new things, when I know my old contributions will need to be saved soon, and all pictures relinked. That is just devasting and such a big gap to close that I cannot find it in me Sad

I might get active later. Start anew on armyblog, new battle reports, campaigns, videos or similar, but seeing my legendary battle report go will be hard.
So for now I'll continue painting, gaming and enjoying the hobby, and occasionally drop by to see what stirs in the CDO cauldron

Army blog - Army Showcase - Project Banners - Legendary Battle

This post was last modified: 05-27-2019 07:24 PM by Malorndk.

05-27-2019 07:22 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great AgainAdmiral 09-28-2019

@Malorndk: Chin up, lad! I could help salvage the legendary battle report pictures and replace them manually for you, if that would get you back into the fray. Just say the word. Happy

That is something that is bound to happen if we were to migrate to a fresher site. The legendary End Times battle will be saved in its entirety if and when that day comes. We're not going to lose it in the long run!

Restoration under way. Competition libraries are up now as sticky threads (GH, AC, SC), thanks in great part to Jasko, and to cornixt for compiling the GH index list.

There are several links under Navigation on the front page that will be visited and reworked in months ahead.

Picture Gallery

Take the Picture Gallery as an example. Chaos Dwarf Golden Demon Winners should be remade into a sticky somewhere and updated with Ravenswood's Silver Demon entry, but how about the member armies and Mordheim warband and Bloodbowl team?

These galleries would have been kept updated through the years with new armies and warbands, had it not been such a technical hassle of coding that it couldn't be done by those with know-how in the long run (that's why we do sticky threads now instead; simpler and easier, even I can do it). As such the picture gallery is a relic from CDO's earlier days, and there has since been many finished/tastily presentable armies worthy of being included in it.

How to tackle it, going forward?

Should we:

1) Just archive the old picture gallery so that it can still be found, but not replace it with something in sticky thread(s) on the forums?

2) Archive the old picture gallery and set up new one(s) on the forum, in sticky threads? This would involve a great deal of backtracking work, going through heaps of armies. It would entail combing through Carven Images (CDO 2007-2017), and then also armies since 2017 as well, sporting fine pictures on good background/set against scenery).

It would be a good way to hold forth many gems on this site, such as Fuggit Khan's, Pappa Midnight's, Skink's and many others' armies. But it would take a great amount of work. There are lots of candidates that should be in such a gallery thread, including many presently active members building gorgeous armies.

Would it take the form of a single sticky page, with the first post being an index linking to each post made after that (with each post being for one member's painted collection, presented in a tasty format)? In any case, it would be prime eye candy back-to-back in that thread. Worth it?

3) Do something else? Ideas are welcome!

Please discuss! We ought to weigh both labour burden and the impression made upon newcomers to the forum with having such an army gallery thread around.

Compiled Gallery & Compiled Conversions

Another question that potentially could involve enormous amounts of work, are the front page links to Compiled Gallery and Compiled Conversions. Those are index threads.

Here it just seems like way too much work to backtrack and update for so many years and so many Chaos Dwarf collectors. My advice is we archive them (so they can still be accessed via "Archive" on the front page), and let them be. All of CDO is filled with armies, units and conversions. Those indices may have served their purpose early on, as CDO wished to present the fruits of community creativity towards getting a new miniature range and army book (mission succesful with LoA), but the accumulated treasures are now too many, and the original purpose concluded, that they seem obsolete in my eyes.

Or do you think differently? Input, please!

Cheers

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 09-28-2019 09:02 AM by Admiral.

09-28-2019 08:44 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great AgainAdmiral 11-07-2019

Mega-Threads

One issue pointed out was that CDO need to score higher on search results for the various evil dwarf factions that are out there. Whether people Google Twisted Duardin, Dawi Zharr, Chaos Dwarfs, Abyssal Dwarves, Infernal Dwarves or suchlike, CDO should be in the top. Activity on the site has never been so high as to warrant separate subforums for the different wargames (that way ghost town syndrome lies), so instead a logical answer would to be install mega-threads for all the different Chaos Dwarf variants out there in all the major wargames.

The downside is that mega-threads may result in specific topics within a wargame/setting not getting the attention they deserve, so we should still be open to have stand-alone threads for specifics, when called for.

Most of the time though, new threads on AoS Dawi Zharr/Twisted Duardin, T9A Infernal Dwarves and KoW Abyssal Dwarves will be merged with the existing mega-thread.

We've got one mega-thread start prepared since spring. It was not planned as such, but tjub's question in this T9A ID thread made it a great starting point for a catch-all Infernal Dwarf thread.

I've asked a couple of venerable members of CDO if they'd like to provide similar introductory replies to questions for Chaos Duardin/Dawi Zharr in Age of Sigmar and Abyssal Dwarves in Kings of War, respectively. They wanted to help, but it may take long time still before we've got anything going. Fingers crossed they help us out, so that we've got a good thread start for the mega-threads.

In the meantime, the Ninth Age thread have been stuck/pinned, and I hope it will get comrades for the other wargames in the short future.

Etsy shop

This post was last modified: 11-07-2019 01:15 PM by Admiral.

11-07-2019 08:52 AM
Zanthrax
Bull Centaur Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 232
Artisan's Contest - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great AgainZanthrax 11-07-2019

The 9th age mega thread is awesome thanks for posting

My guide to alternative Big Hat Chaos Dwarfs 2017 edition: http://ironhaiden666.blogspot.com/2017/1...chaos.html
11-07-2019 10:18 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great AgainAdmiral 11-21-2019

Thanks, Zanthrax! I hope we can have proper starts for AoS and KoW up in the future as well. Happy

The Technical Future of Chaos Dwarfs Online

Tjub and I have talked a lot about the need to update CDO, and what features we should want to see in the future. While the restoration of CDO will continue sporadically (copy-pastable with ease to a new site if we ever move house), it's high time to look into all alternatives at hand.

There are several desired features which I as a layman with minimal tech insights can point to at the moment:

• A more secure server/web address. CDO is old enough to have http: in its web address instead of the newer https: ("s" as in secure). At least one person who entered a link to CDO reported that his browser flagged the site as unsafe as a result, and so he didn't dare look at whatever I had linked to him over on Deviantart. Apparently https: web addresses will be replaced by encrypted dns: in the close future, which would be desirable for us to have.

I have no idea if you can update an existing http: website to https: or dns: respectively, or you have to start all over again from scratch in order to get the new form of website.

• The ability to upload pictures directly from your phone or computer to CDO. We know for a fact that several of our members (including Xander himself) updates his hobby progress on Facebook but not CDO because of the clunky external imagesharing hassle. We need to get picture upload streamlined and simple. This is absolutely critical for future regrowth. Who knows how many potential returners or newcomers we miss out on because external imagesharing is such a bother?

Tjub have recommended the Kings of War Forum as a perfect example of what we would like to upgrade CDO to. The most important feature being its direct picture upload function.

• Spoiler tags if possible. Very useful feature which I sometimes miss on CDO with its older software.

• Preferably a Wiki, to carry over the CDO wiki wholesale.

• Preferably the ability to tag threads for category in a forum, just like they have over on Lustria Online. This would be most relevant for tagging threads as "KoW", "AoS", "T9A", "WHFB" and so on, especially since activity may not warrant setting up separate subforums risking to become ghost towns.

Can you please fill in other should-have features for an updated CDO site?

Tjub and I are contemplating fundraising to afford new software, possibly on a new site altogether. CDO is such a treasure chamber, and continues to be a vibrant creative hobby hub. It deserves to live on and thrive anew. We'll soon try to see if we can reach some agreement with Xander, Nicodemus et al and hopefully take the step forward.

Be assured that if we were to move site, then none of the homebrew army books, artworks, wiki articles, contest galleries, tutorials, webzines and other resources will be lost. Everything worthwhile will in such a case be salvaged manually in a lengthy Herculean labour (but it need be a lot less stressful than the 2017 image salvage madness, so the tempo will be humane). If a new site is called for and comes to be, then there may be a long transition period where stuff is moved over, part by part, before it's all up and running.

Etsy shop

This post was last modified: 11-21-2019 04:05 PM by Admiral.

11-21-2019 03:24 PM
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 71
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great AgainDînadan 11-21-2019

Other than your suggestions only thing I can think of is maybe something like a storefront for those that make and sell their own sculpts can sell through?  Not sure how big a cut eBay, etsy, etc take from sales but I think it’d be nicer if either the person selling kept it, or the cut went towards paying for CDO’s upkeep rather than to lining the shareholders of those sites’ pockets.  

Not sure on the legality of this though even if it was feasible.  Also not sure what sort of vetting process would be needed to stop any old stuff being sold, let alone one to prevent another Zonk incident, so might be best not to do this. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: also should we discuss if we’d want to keep the name CDO, or change it to something that encompasses all flavours of evil dwarf?  The current name carries some weight within the community but would something more setting agnostic make it more welcoming for non-Warhammer collectors?

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

This post was last modified: 11-21-2019 03:48 PM by Dînadan.

11-21-2019 03:43 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great AgainAdmiral 11-21-2019

Please keep the ideas coming! There is a whole issue of user-friendliness, polished finish and security involving webshops. As far as I can tell it's such a hassle to set up, and nowadays also so expensive to run your very own webshop instead of hosting it on Etsy, that the sheer prospect of such an option (if it is at all implementable) is completely staggering. Better to keep using Etsy (which I can warmly recommend by the way, unlike Ebay), and announce news on the forum.

Chaos Dwarfs Online is a powerful name in this niche of ours. Let's not throw our legacy away nor water it down. Chaos Dwarfs were the original, as far as all current derivative concepts are concerned, and they remain something common to almost all of us to this day. We can make non-Warhammer collectors comfortable in other ways, including tagging threads as "KoW", "AoS", "T9A", "WHFB" and so on, or even set up separate subforums if high activity ever warrants it. Happy

Cheers

Etsy shop

This post was last modified: 11-21-2019 04:19 PM by Admiral.

11-21-2019 04:02 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1559
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great Againtjub 11-21-2019

Well said Mathias, I think you got all the points we have discussed. Happy

Regarding a "store front" a new forum could of course have a locked section only available for miniature makers to post and show whats available in their etsy/store etc.

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

11-21-2019 04:33 PM
Gargolock
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 318
Best Attitude - 2018                               
RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great AgainGargolock 11-22-2019

I would agree with all of these suggestions. I think the best part of CDO is the people on it and our intense creativity and passion. I imagine that CDO will only attract more brilliant minds if it gets a little update Respect to the Hat!

New Features do sound very nice in modernizing our site. I love the ideas that are shared on this thread, this site is aging and we should try to keep it modern.  Some of keeping it modern would require changing some of the branding however. I feel some of the older stuff on the front page feels very Warhammer specific.
I feel on the topic of the name. CDO is iconic amongst the community. Though it might start becoming out of date do to the site now focusing on Evil Dwarfs in general, I believe that no matter what type of evil stunty you collect you can still feel welcome by the name CDO and more importantly the people on it.

I think that these new features are the most important thing in modernizing the site and making it great again.
However I will now list a bunch of slightly minor problems I or my friends have found over the past few months with the site involving attracting new people to use the sites resources and share their skills. I will simply get them written down even though they may be minor.

Starting with a super minor one that some might not even see a problem with:
It still says on the front page as our mission statement, “So long as the popularity of Warhammer continues, a source is needed for the Chaos Dwarf army to keep pace. Chaos Dwarfs Online provides a community with a forum for members to learn about, inform others about, contribute to, and evolve the Chaos Dwarf army in a welcoming and open minded environment. Chaos Dwarf generals, old and new, can unite under a common banner that Chaos Dwarfs Online is happy to provide.

There’s a few lines that I would recommenced changing to make it more general evil dwarf, now that we are supported by multiple systems our focus isn’t exclusively Warhammer, our roots are Warhammer however and we should still respect that. The parts that are changed are underlined and are blue.

So long as the popularity of  Wargaming continues, a source is needed for the Evil Dwarves to keep pace. Chaos Dwarfs Online provides a community with a forum for members to learn about, inform others about, contribute to, and evolve the various Evil Dwarf armies in a welcoming and open minded environment. Chaos Dwarf generals, of any age, from any game, can unite under a common banner that Chaos Dwarfs Online is happy to provide.

I exchanged a few words to try to communicate the idea that we aren’t exclusively a warhammer forum anymore. More a haven amongst evil dwarf players from any game or world to seek anything they may wish about the concept of Evil Dwarfs rather than the Warhammer Faction “Chaos Dwarfs”. I feel like this, as the first thing most will see should be the most inviting it possibly can be.

Another Example is still that outdated “Site” portion of the Navigation Panel.
We have fixed how our Golden Hats are archived but you can’t get to the helpful and well made archive from the front page. Instead that Navigation Panel still takes you to the old Golden Hat archive which was a little complicated and only went to 22. I personally didn’t even notice this. It took a friend asking me “Has there only been 22 Golden Hats?” and then him telling me that he only saw 22 on the archive. I learned he was looking at the wrong Archive. I barely use this site function but any friend I show CDO notices it right away. I think we should just make the Golden Hat Link take you to the new Hall of Fame forum post.
The fact that it’s hard to update that panel, therefore ensuring it doesn’t get updated. Means it now conveys a dead look, making CDO not appear as lively as it actually is. This might be scaring people off if they check that panel first like my friends have.
However this Navigation Panel was a problem before, mainly because it’s hard to edit and takes a lot of time. Which makes me think we should just remove the site portion of it if we can’t get it working properly. I love the showcases on it and feel like it was probably an amazing intro to CDO in days of old. Now it seems to have fallen behind.
However then we would need a new way for people to easily get to the Word of Hashuts and the Podcasts.
I think making the Golden Hat link just take you to Forum Post instead of those old pages. We have a new and complete Hall of Fame, but it’s not displayed on the front page as of now.
Basically the contents of this panel are fixed but this panel still misleads new people on the site to old outdated information instead of the fixed versions.
The site portion of the panel isn’t really needed, the main focus has always been the forum, and on the forum everything is laid out well.
Newcomers do get sidetracked by this panel that we all ignore now. I say we either make it take you to the forum posts that are updated or remove it.

Those are the only ones I’ve found. Though old, this site is still a brilliant hub of creativity and passion simply because of the people on it.

CDO’s biggest problem remains its age and lack of User Friendliness. I feel like we should tackle the biggest problems first, I say the biggest problem is not having a way to Upload Photos from the site and the http instead of https, these will either scare people off or maybe deter them do to the complicated process and the amount of time it takes to share photos.

Little word changes or making certain features better comes behind making the entire website more user friendly.
However in time I believe any problem should be fixed.

11-22-2019 01:44 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great AgainAdmiral 11-23-2019

Thanks a lot Gargolock! Advice appreciated, especially detailed helpful pointers like these. Takes Hat off

Haha, yes there is a lot of work left to do. I don't have tech know-how to update the front portal, so I plan to knock on Nicodemus or any of the other Staff proper's shoulders when all the many steps of the restoration touching on front page stuff has been completed (so as not to burden them with repeated requests of add this-add that, but instead have them work through everything at once in a single list request). The contest galleries are finished, but there are still some more laboursome steps to clear through before we're ready to switch all the front page links for new ones. Happy

Word changing is a good idea. That'll have to be part of the to-do-list when I hand it to someone with knowhow to update the frontpage.

Cheers

Etsy shop

This post was last modified: 11-23-2019 03:50 PM by Admiral.

11-23-2019 03:48 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Make Zharr-Naggrund Great AgainAdmiral 03-13-2020

Thanks to Xander's efforts, we're now go with a viable path into the future.

Behold Chaos Dwarfs Online on Discourse forum! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/

With easy direct image upload and mobile-friendly features, while still maintaining the good structure of a forum. I use it on PC desktop, and am warming to it.

Our treasures on old CDO will be moved to new CDO later this year, so nothing of value will be lost.

Check it out!

Etsy shop

This post was last modified: 03-13-2020 03:18 AM by Admiral.

03-13-2020 03:17 AM
Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Chaos Dwarfs of Zharr Naggrund - Steel, Slaves and Sorcery (Lorehammer L. video) Admiral 1 1,052 07-12-2018 06:24 PM
Last Post: Willmark
  Zharr Naggrund is Hashut Grimstonefire 8 2,455 04-14-2016 07:15 AM
Last Post: Abecedar
  This would make a great K'daii wallacer 5 2,174 03-26-2015 11:08 PM
Last Post: Vex
  Developing background on the BB team Zharr-Naggrund Juggernauts Red Skullz 3 2,245 03-26-2010 04:34 PM
Last Post: Red Skullz
  Zharr Naggrund besieged? Grimstonefire 48 14,060 12-06-2009 08:25 AM
Last Post: Kera foehunter

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites