Post Reply  Post Thread 
Just back From Fort Ticonderogia
Author MessageJust back From Fort Ticonderogia
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1216
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
Just back From Fort TiconderogiaWillmark 08-26-2018

Went there with my son's Boy Scout troop.

Having been to the UK and seen real medieval castles its interesting to see the evolution of fortifications and specifically how fortresses were adapted to North America from European designs. Obviously we don't have castles here but Fort Ticonderoga and Castillo de San Marcos in St Augustine in Florida are the closest thing.

Also interesting to note the reasons the fort was built the way it was, where it was situated and how many times it changed hands. How it was originally designed to guard against British excursions heading north on Lake Champlain, then protect facing north when the British held it, then how the guns were hauled to Boston to force the British out during the Revolutionary War.

It's important to note that it was reconstructed in the early portion of the 20th century and that it was restored to the intended plans of the French and British, not how it actually looked from 1753-1777.

My Want List / My Trade List
08-26-2018 07:09 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 445
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Just back From Fort TiconderogiaXander 08-26-2018

Sounds cool. Where are the pictures at? Big Grin

Follow CDO on Twitter: Twitter
08-26-2018 11:03 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Herby Away
Renegade

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 343
Golden Hat - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Just back From Fort TiconderogiaHerby 08-27-2018

Hello. I read the book about Jim Varney. The author, Jim Varney's nephew mentions a castle in Kentucky(maybe Tennessee I'm not sure. I don't have the book with me to check). What about this one?

... Più forte ragazzi!            

This post was last modified: 08-27-2018 05:56 AM by Herby.

08-27-2018 05:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Just back From Fort TiconderogiaWillmark 08-27-2018

Xander Wrote:
Sounds cool. Where are the pictures at? Big Grin

I’ll try to post some tonight

08-27-2018 07:14 AM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Just back From Fort TiconderogiaWillmark 08-27-2018

As discussed:

My son at the Fort:

Tristan and some old guy...

Looking towards the southwest near the entrance.

The Main Gate

Eastern side of the fort looking north.

Looking at the southern end of Lake Champlain.

Looking out the windows of the Soldiers barracks (northwards).

08-27-2018 08:49 PM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 445
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Just back From Fort TiconderogiaXander 08-27-2018

Cool stuff, definitely reminds me of some of the forts we still have kicking around north of the border.

Follow CDO on Twitter: Twitter
08-27-2018 10:45 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

RE: Just back From Fort TiconderogiaWillmark 08-28-2018

Xander Wrote:
Cool stuff, definitely reminds me of some of the forts we still have kicking around north of the border.

Louisburg in Nova Scotia would be the closest in terms of look and current construction that comes to mind. Not a perfect match but very similar. Obviously Louisburg is larger.

This post was last modified: 08-28-2018 10:11 PM by Willmark.

08-28-2018 10:09 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Building a tree fort! Bloodbeard 27 7,935 09-06-2015 05:02 PM
Last Post: Admiral

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites