Post Reply  Post Thread 
Iron Daemon in the Forest (rule question)
Author MessageIron Daemon in the Forest (rule question)
Baader the Great
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 16

Iron Daemon in the Forest (rule question)Baader the Great 09-08-2018

Hi there,

my group is still playing 8th edition. And now there is a rule problem...

Tamurkhan p. 177: "The Iron Daemon, including its Chaos Dwarf crew, is considered to be a single combined model which should be treated as a chariot except where the following rules apply."

Tamurkhan p. 178: "Low or comparably flimsy obstacles such as walls, hedges, light woods, shacks, privies and piles of rubble have little chance of impeding an Iron Daemon, and all such obstacles (up to the height of the Iron Daemon's wheels) are ignored for movement and combat by the Iron Daemon (this is a change to the usual rues concerning war machines and terrain)."

So, and here's what I think the rules are trying to tell us:
- Forests are no obstacles, and their trees are higher than the Iron Daemon's wheels. Therefore, an Iron Daemon does not ignore forests.
- Since the Iron Daemon should "be treated as a chariot" unless any special rule says otherwise (which isn't the case here), the Iron Daemon has to test for  dangeroius terrain in the forest just like a chariot would do.

Is this right?

09-08-2018 04:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1263
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Iron Daemon in the Forest (rule question)Nicodemus 09-08-2018

Yes, absolutely. This seems to be the correct interpretation

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

09-08-2018 09:22 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1496
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Iron Daemon in the Forest (rule question)Abecedar 09-09-2018

I think that is correct too
But if you shoot it and burn the trees down?

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
09-09-2018 01:26 AM
Baader the Great
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 16

RE: Iron Daemon in the Forest (rule question)Baader the Great 09-09-2018

Thank you. I think it's right too. But it never came to me before that the Iron Daemon is that much vulnerable to forest...

But then again, a chariot only has to test for dangerous terrain in the forest if it' marching, charging, pursuing, fleeing or overrunnig. However, an Iron Daemon cannot march, pursue, flee or overrun, so this leaves charging as the only kind of movement where the Iron Daemon could suffer from dangerous terrain in the forest.

Which leads us to the next question. The Iron Daemon may charge intentionally (by declaring it), or it may charge by accident (by rolling to high when moving and as a resut being in base contact with another unit).

Is the latter procedure considered a "charge" that would make a dangerous terrain test in the forest necessary? I'd say no... only a charge that is announced before movement is a charge...

09-09-2018 02:00 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  NEED HELP! Iron Daemon instructions BABIS 22 6,901 06-12-2015 09:44 AM
Last Post: tenebre
  High Toughness on Iron Daemon? tenebre 4 1,600 05-21-2014 11:07 AM
Last Post: Bloodbeard
  Iron daemon thewizardofoz 10 2,775 05-07-2014 01:20 PM
Last Post: Odatria
  ETC 2014 Iron Deamon question Odiriuss 2 732 01-08-2014 08:55 PM