Post Reply  Post Thread 
WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)
Author MessageWHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 702
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)Admiral 10-19-2018

Artist Matthew Klaas de Witte is currently starting on an exploratory project to map out new concept artwork for Human natives of Albion.

de Witte Wrote:
Before I begin on the lore I wrote for Albion, I have to say that it is a tremendous amount of thinking going into two things I love. That is, the original Warhammer Fantasy universe, and La Tene culture. For this one I took a look at the few extant official artworks of the natives of Albion and noticed the presence of Great Eagles in the picture so I decided to make the next logical step I then formed a tribe around the eagles and their leader who is very obviously Boudicca following in the sometimes unoriginal naming footsteps of GW. Buddug is Welsh for Boudicca.

Find out more in the description for each art piece on DA that will be linked-to here, and if you very much like the concept or have ideas to share, be welcome to also leave a comment below his Deviantart pieces.

First out, Buddug of the Toulenii:

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVI - Deadline 19th of January ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 10-19-2018 04:15 AM by Admiral.

10-19-2018 03:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1562
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)Abecedar 10-19-2018

not too shabby at all

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-19-2018 04:57 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)Admiral 10-23-2018

Buddug and Andarta:

de Witte Wrote:
Original Fan Content

Buddug and her personal Great Eagle Andarta, golden of colour and exceptionally large. A gift of the sun god Toulenos. (Combination of Toutatis and Belenos)

A sneak peek into another tribe!

The Toulenii are an Order aligned Albionic tribe that occupy the oppidium of Toulenos' Roost high in the Beast Peaks of Albion. They are most associated with the Great Eagles their elite ride into battle and patrol the Beast Peaks for armies of the (now departed) Chaos demon Belakor marching South from the Citadel of Lead, of course when they are not fighting among the other tribes. Buddug is their chieftain and rides upon the greatest of Great Eagles the Golden One: Andarta. But is sure not to stray West into the homeland of the Giants of Albion. She wields a spear steeped in magic, and fires magical arrows which are willed to their target.

The fort in the background is based on a Broch.

Andarta's breastplate is adorned with trophy skulls and the weapons of enemies!

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
10-23-2018 04:15 AM
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 53
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)Dînadan 10-24-2018

Could just be me, but the armour looks a touch too advanced for Albion; iirc Albion is supposed to be closer to Celtic (ie pre-Roman) Britain, so they should probably have less advanced armour.   That said, those two pics are of a chieftain so I suppose it’s plausible they could have bartered a suit of plate off of Empire/Marienburg traders.

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

10-24-2018 04:25 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)Admiral 11-04-2018

Vaiorix of the Boreni:

Quote:
Vaiorix is chief of the Boreni. It utilizes its location nearby the main herding grounds of great hogs to use them as mounts. These animals have potential to grow greater in size than the ones of the Old World and Vaiorix rides one from a bloodline cultivated by the chieftains of old to be the largest and most spirited of all great hogs. He and his tribe take the mantle of protecting the Great Ogham, The most important and largest stone circle in Albion, it channels much of the power that is used by Truthsayers. Knowledge and wisdom old and new is recorded upon its many stone edifices by the Truthsayers. He is immensely proud to a fault, he does not allow for anyone of other tribes to trespass without the blessings of the native Thruthsayers.

He wields javelins imbued with the power of Light blessed by his lover; an excommunicated Truthsayer. and a magical reflective shield akin to the ones used by the elite Woad Bearer units. Said shields can reflect spells back at the offending mage. The one he uses was made in the Forge of the Old Ones, made of Old Ones forged Archbronze which is denoted by its undulating rivulets that shift as it moves.

I looked to the map of Albion as inspiration for the peoples I made, using the "Great Hogs" mark and location to make a tribe and chieftain. Their location next to the marker to "Great Ogham" seemed apt to make thm protectors of this place because it seemed to be one of enough importance to write on the map. But as per usual, it is a lot of inventing on my part.

Questions answered:
Yes this is an expansion on 8th edition.
I made the natives of Albion able to craft weapons and armour that could make them able to fight on the level of the other races.

11-04-2018 11:54 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)Admiral 11-04-2018

Vaiorix of the Boreni:

Quote:
Vaiorix is chief of the Boreni. It utilizes its location nearby the main herding grounds of great hogs to use them as mounts. These animals have potential to grow greater in size than the ones of the Old World and Vaiorix rides one from a bloodline cultivated by the chieftains of old to be the largest and most spirited of all great hogs. He and his tribe take the mantle of protecting the Great Ogham, The most important and largest stone circle in Albion, it channels much of the power that is used by Truthsayers. Knowledge and wisdom old and new is recorded upon its many stone edifices by the Truthsayers. He is immensely proud to a fault, he does not allow for anyone of other tribes to trespass without the blessings of the native Thruthsayers.

He wields javelins imbued with the power of Light blessed by his lover; an excommunicated Truthsayer. and a magical reflective shield akin to the ones used by the elite Woad Bearer units. Said shields can reflect spells back at the offending mage. The one he uses was made in the Forge of the Old Ones, made of Old Ones forged Archbronze which is denoted by its undulating rivulets that shift as it moves.

I looked to the map of Albion as inspiration for the peoples I made, using the "Great Hogs" mark and location to make a tribe and chieftain. Their location next to the marker to "Great Ogham" seemed apt to make thm protectors of this place because it seemed to be one of enough importance to write on the map. But as per usual, it is a lot of inventing on my part.

Questions answered:
Yes this is an expansion on 8th edition.
I made the natives of Albion able to craft weapons and armour that could make them able to fight on the level of the other races.

11-04-2018 11:54 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1353
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)Grimstonefire 11-04-2018

They are good art, but I would expect something more tribal feeling.

I think it might be that just in pencil and no colour is not helping get it across.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
11-04-2018 06:18 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)Admiral 01-01-2019

Draiorix

Matthew Klaas de Witte Wrote:
Druids were the cultural, religious, and judicial leaders of their people. So I decided to do give them the same treatment for Warhammer Albion, of course they're called "Truthsayers" in 8th edition. Each tribe of Albion has an assigned Turthsayer, and each of them report to the Council of Truthsayers which meet at the Pillar of Og Agog, which is subsequently headed by the being called Draoiorix, king of the Truthsayers. It sits upon its throne atop the pillar in its most relatable form, a man of advanced age. Though Draoirix is a being of unknown form or age. It is a shapeshifter. A supreme adept of the Lore of Light, Life, and Beasts. It is so old and assumed countless forms that it does not remember what its original identity was, or even if it is relevant anymore. It acts as a kind of spiritual leader and guardian of the inhabitants of the island, but belongs to no single tribe. It acts on its own accord, and goes where, when, and how it pleases.

01-01-2019 09:04 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)Admiral 01-10-2019

The King of the Giants

Matthew Klaas de Witte Wrote:
Original fan content

Here we see the King of the Giants facing off against Draoiorix the king of the Truthsayers, and protector of Albion. Drawing power from the ogham stones that dot the isle to cast a powerful spell likely to distract him and send him away from a human population.  

In truth it has no name, but is called this by the folk who have the misfortune of sharing Albion with him. He is the height of a Bonegrinder Giant, he carries a titanic sacred ogham stone as a bludgeoning device, a magical necklace of man sized ogham stones, a tremendous moustache, and a belt of shields belonging to all the tiny-things it has crushed.  An immensely powerful being, the King normally frolics among his kin in the Giant's Causeway and Beast Peaks, sticking to the mountain range in the centre-North of the Isle. Descending to gather ingredients to make intoxicating beverages, or to steal from the unfortunate inhabitants of Albion. Throwing rocks at nosey ships of the various foreign races of the world attempting to make landfall (and laughing about it) is also a favourite past-time. The King has no title to lord over his brethren, he just happens to be the biggest, meanest, and hairiest, and this holds great sway in the giant world. Also he has a big smashy stick.

Draoiorix though also immensely powerful, and likely the most powerful being on the isle, does not try to subdue the giants. They are necessary to keep balance on the island, and scare away pesky invaders. But the King has a trick, it is his magical necklace of (previously) standing stones which protects him from the influences of chaos and magic spells. This does not stop him from sometimes aiding the corrupted Albion natives of Chaos that live in the North, so long as they steadily supply him and his friends with good drink. His only allegiance after all is to alcohol, and the pursuit of it. But when they run out, he adds a few more shields to his belt.

01-10-2019 08:51 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Albion... zobo1942 0 227 11-25-2018 02:37 PM
Last Post: zobo1942

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites