Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Scribe's Contest XII
Author MessageScribe's Contest XII
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 590
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
Scribe's Contest XIIAdmiral 04-10-2019

Zanko Presents: The 12th Scribe's Contest writing competition on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

We are pleased to announce that this Scribe's Contest has been sponsored by Zanko. There will be one prize of this unpainted Forge World Daemonsmith for the Gold winner:

”In faraway realms of mortals and magical worlds, tales tell of malevolent mariners steaming upon the Sea of Drowned Sorrows, striking out from a monstrous city of industry that stands artificially out in the middle of the ocean: The infernal Zharr Vyxa, where twisted Duardin siphons the raw energy of death from within dark waters.

Darkness and mystery surrounds these baleful creatures, and hellfire at the horizon remain a potent omen of doom for all sailors lost upon the waves. Yet one thing is known: By these people, you do not want to be taken alive...

These are the words of the Roaming Ones.“

Subject Matter: On Dark Tides
The theme for this writing competition is seafaring, piracy, naval action, coastal raids, shipwrecks, divers, shipyards and everything pertaining to Chaos Dwarfs and the ocean! This is an open format theme, meaning that almost any type of background text and fiction about Dawi Zharr seafaring will be accepted.

Your entry could consist of a mysterious traveller's tale in an inn or under an open night sky; Kurgan legends; a conversation with a Daemon; heretical writings or a secret trial against a blasphemer; or something else entirely.

Note that this contest is a celebration of our glimpse of Zharr Vyxa in Age of Sigmar, courtesy of Thommy H's unceasing lookout in the mast. Yet like other contests that are based upon a Chaos Dwarf phenomenon in a particular setting, you can enter writings set in whatever worlds you fancy, including the Old World.

Writing Rules
The word limit for each entry is 10-400 words in total. Since this is an open format theme, you may write your entry as one or more quotes, proverbs, tales, songs, stories etc. Descriptive background texts about the being of (of the kind you may find in any army book) and fiction from the perspective of one or more characters (of the kind you may find in any Black Library novel) are allowed. Entries from any setting featuring evil Dwarrows are of course welcome!

All entries are to be written "in-universe", meaning no lines about D6s or green stuff are allowed. See the General Rules.

You are encouraged to ask Admiral about whether your entry meet the requirements or not, should you be unsure.

Spellcheck
Please spellcheck your entry before submission. Even so, to help even the field for the non-native English speakers, Admiral may correct grammar and spelling mistakes within the limits of his grasp of the English language.

Inspiration Sources
Anything can be your inspiration, including your latest tabletop game. See the Guidelines, and Chaos Dwarf Stories & Background Section. (You are not allowed to copy someone else's work!)

Please read the full rules and guidelines that apply to the Scribe's Contest competition before submitting your entry!

Deadline: 11:59 PM 26th of April 2019 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)
Submit your entry by PM to the Scribe account before the deadline. Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (You have about 2 weeks to complete your entry.)

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff before the deadline. In order to avoid problems, we strongly advise entrants not to wait until the very last minute to submit their entries... As things can and do go wrong at the last minute. Please do not send entries to individual Admin or Staff members to submit on your behalf as they may not check their PMs!

How to Enter
Write one or more pieces of fiction or background about Chaos Dwarfs following the subject theme, invented by you, and send a PM to Scribe (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the entry. The moderator organizing the contest will then check the inbox one or a few days before deadline and verify to each entrant that their submission was received.

If you win
- Take your place in the upcoming Scribe's Contest Hall of Fame (soon to be created!), where your glory will be remembered for years to come.
- Receive the Scribe's Contest medal for your online persona:

- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 40 people enter we award 40 slaves to each person who entered.
- If you win Gold, you'll win a dungeon clutter model prize, courtesy of Zealot Wargames.

Entries will count towards a participation medal, which is the simpler Scribe's Contest equivalent of Artisan's Contest and Golden Hat veteran medals.

As usual once all entries are received a voting thread will be created. If there are any questions please PM me, another Staff member or post them here.

Summary
Subject Matter: On Dark Tides (Chaos Dwarfs and the sea).
Deadline: 11:59 PM 26th of April 2019 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

If any forum members would like to aid Scribe's Contest by donating models or other materials as prizes for future competitions, feel free to contact myself or one of the Staff to help sort out details.

Now, carve your tablet. Sharpen your pen and dip it in fresh slave blood, for Hashut demands words!

The Staff

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXXIII - Deadline 23rd of September  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 04-13-2019 02:02 AM by Admiral.

04-10-2019 07:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jasko
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 53

RE: Scribe's Contest XIIJasko 04-10-2019

Praise Hashut, a contest I can enter without having a painted model ready Cheers!
Really looking forward to readind all the entries, I'll definitely partake.
And thanks Zanko for providing this shiniest of prizes Takes Hat off

Chaos Dwarf Showcase: Legion of Jaskorh
Offtopic Showcase: Night Goblin Auxiliaries
Hobby Blog: ijasko @ Wordpress
04-10-2019 09:13 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gargolock
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 286
Best Attitude - 2018                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XIIGargolock 04-10-2019

This sounds fun, time to get planning. Love The Theme. Can't wait to read all the other entries.

Chaos Dwarf Army Blog

Hochland Army Blog
04-10-2019 12:18 PM
Reaver of Uzkulak
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 119
Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XIIReaver of Uzkulak 04-10-2019

Interesting theme! Looking forward to everyone's entries! Pirate

Army Blog: Plunder for the Ironclad Fleet

Other miniature projects on Instagram
04-10-2019 07:54 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hashoooot
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 38

RE: Scribe's Contest XIIHashoooot 04-12-2019

So, in the initial post, the summary gives a different deadline than the text above - I assume, the earlier date is correct?

04-12-2019 12:47 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1665
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x3 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XIIAbecedar 04-12-2019

Hashoooot Wrote:
So, in the initial post, the summary gives a different deadline than the text above - I assume, the earlier date is correct?

June.  I'd be lucky to write a title by the 26th of April.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
04-12-2019 11:02 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XIIAdmiral 04-13-2019

Hashoooot Wrote:

Haha! I usually mess up numbers before text. There I was checking the draft. Date correct? And nodded confidently. Yep, 26th of April in both places. And missed July in the summary. Big Grin

Corrected, sorry about that. These competitions are largely run on copy-paste so as to be easy to handle even when very busy.

Cheers!

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.

This post was last modified: 04-13-2019 02:11 AM by Admiral.

04-13-2019 02:09 AM
Jasko
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Scribe's Contest XIIJasko 04-15-2019

Hah, this is really fun!
I'm pretty much set about what happens, just not how I'm about to tell it Pirate Tricky! Survivor's report? Maybe. Possibly. Ah, we'll see.

This post was last modified: 04-15-2019 09:18 AM by Jasko.

04-15-2019 09:17 AM
Uther the unhinged
Bull Centaur Lord

Slaves: 503
Scribe's Contest Silver Best Overall Member - 2018 Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XIIUther the unhinged 04-15-2019

I am reliably informed by Igor that the orc skin vellum has been dispatched. Soon my literary skills will be recognised. I just hope it is not intercepted by pirates. The irony would be too much to bear.

An AoS creation myth: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=17414

Uthers’ legions of Hashut: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=17110
04-15-2019 06:26 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest XIIAdmiral 04-16-2019

You also write on Orc skin? It's sturdy and stands the test of time! And give a pleasant green hue to the vellum. Cheers!

I'll send in my writings in a floating bottle. Ship ahoy!

Chaos Dwarf Writings:
04-16-2019 02:15 AM
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Lord

Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 620
Scribe's Contest Gold Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XIIJackswift 04-16-2019

Have a couple of ideas brewing.  Perhaps this one will break the streak of not enough time for completion...

04-16-2019 10:14 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 720
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XIIFuggit Khan 04-21-2019

As I was laying down and starting to fall asleep last night, out of nowhere a vague idea for a story came to me. Which then kept me awake for much too long, as I ran different versions of it inside my head. And the sleepier I became, the more odd and twisted the story became.
I wonder if this is how Uther the Unhinged comes up with his wonderfully twisted and creative models?
Anyways, at least now I have an idea (and lack of sleep) to start my day  Takes Hat off

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
04-21-2019 01:40 AM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1524
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XIItjub 04-21-2019

Fuggit Khan Wrote:
As I was laying down and starting to fall asleep last night, out of nowhere a vague idea for a story came to me. Which then kept me awake for much too long, as I ran different versions of it inside my head. And the sleepier I became, the more odd and twisted the story became.
I wonder if this is how Uther the Unhinged comes up with his wonderfully twisted and creative models?
Anyways, at least now I have an idea (and lack of sleep) to start my day  Takes Hat off

Haha, looking forward to read it James, haha... Cheers!

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

04-21-2019 03:02 AM
Uther the unhinged
Bull Centaur Lord

Slaves: 503
Scribe's Contest Silver Best Overall Member - 2018 Artisan's Contest - Silver                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XIIUther the unhinged 04-21-2019

@Fuggit: Yep, that is pretty much how. Though the cheese helps..... and the mushrooms....... and .... wait this is public forum!

An AoS creation myth: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=17414

Uthers’ legions of Hashut: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=17110
04-21-2019 03:04 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest XIIAdmiral 04-21-2019

I knew it! And I bet you have Igor Igorspawn at high alert awake throughout all the night, ready to pen down the slightest uttering of his master. The sleeplessness of Igor only adding to the unhinged daytime interpretations of those grand visions. Big Grin

Chaos Dwarf Writings:

This post was last modified: 04-21-2019 04:44 AM by Admiral.

04-21-2019 04:43 AM
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 720
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x3                               
RE: Scribe's Contest XIIFuggit Khan 04-23-2019

Well I got my story written and submitted...although it was a struggle writing a story on my Chinese brand phone. Naturally it uses a Chinese version of Android (translated : Chinese stolen intellectual property theft and rewriting of code)...which auto-corrects everything into bizarre Chinese interpretation of words it doesn't recognize. And the Warhammer world is full of such words.
Moral of this story?
Don't buy Chinese junk.
Gonna buy a Samsung tomorrow.
And since this is a family forum, I won't tell you what Chinese android phone versions of "word document" wants to auto-correct "Hashut" into.

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
04-23-2019 06:33 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest XIIAdmiral 04-23-2019

Hehe, fun story. Big Grin

But can't you just turn off autocorrect in options? I always do that when getting a new phone. Or is the very option lacking?

Chaos Dwarf Writings:
04-23-2019 07:19 AM
Jasko
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Scribe's Contest XIIJasko 04-23-2019

Just to triple-check: Deadline is midnight on Friday, but EST, so effectively Saturday morning in central Europe, right?

This post was last modified: 04-29-2019 09:52 AM by Jasko.

04-23-2019 07:30 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Scribe's Contest XIIAdmiral 04-23-2019

Yep, that is correct! I've kept the traditional EST deadlines on CDO so that any last-minute entries can be entered while I sleep, then launch it in the morning. Happy

Also, how did you get that timer function? Perhaps we could use it in the future in announcement threads?

Chaos Dwarf Writings:
04-23-2019 07:42 AM
Jasko
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Scribe's Contest XIIJasko 04-23-2019

Admiral Wrote:
Yep, that is correct! I've kept the traditional EST deadlines on CDO so that any last-minute entries can be entered while I sleep, then launch it in the morning. Happy

Also, how did you get that timer function? Perhaps we could use it in the future in announcement threads?

Great, thanks for clearing theat up for me Happy Good to know I can just keep writing Friday night if needs be.

I just went to the timeanddate website, there you can enter the due date (with timezone), specify text, color and whatnot. At the end you simply generate an HTML code which can be integrated on your webside and, luckily, also mybb forums. I think it is quite nice for the CDO contest.

04-23-2019 08:02 AM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Scribe's Contest XII - Winners! Admiral 12 5,351 05-04-2019 01:57 PM
Last Post: Gargolock
  Scribe's Contest XII - Voting! Admiral 11 5,359 05-01-2019 11:59 PM
Last Post: Gargolock
  Scribe's Contest XI - Winners! Admiral 7 2,836 09-04-2017 06:17 PM
Last Post: Ghrask Dragh
  Scribe's Contest XI - Voting! Admiral 6 3,069 08-27-2017 03:37 PM
Last Post: Admiral
  Scribe's Contest XI - Temple Song Lyrics! Admiral 13 4,455 08-22-2017 08:36 AM
Last Post: Abecedar

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites