Author Messagevarnish / hard coat
Moloch
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 7

varnish / hard coatMoloch 05-10-2019

Hi Guys,

I know that there are several suggestion all over the web, but my question is actually related to chaos dwarf big hat classic models. do you varnish your chaos dwarves metal models?

Is there a products that works better than the others and that make them look cool and not super shiny and brighty?

I'm quite annoyed by model loosing colours while carrying them but I don't want them to look glaced.

I had a pot of old citadel hardcoat  but I din't even try it: I remeber that my soldiers looked really weird after applying it.

Thank you Happy

05-10-2019 04:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jasko
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 43

RE: varnish / hard coatJasko 05-10-2019

Moloch Wrote:
Hi Guys,

I know that there are several suggestion all over the web, but my question is actually related to chaos dwarf big hat classic models. do you varnish your chaos dwarves metal models?

Is there a products that works better than the others and that make them look cool and not super shiny and brighty?

I'm quite annoyed by model loosing colours while carrying them but I don't want them to look glaced.

I had a pot of old citadel hardcoat  but I din't even try it: I remeber that my soldiers looked really weird after applying it.

Thank you Happy

Hey Moloch,
so, once a model is considered finished, I would definitely varnish it! Doesn't matter if it is metal or plastic or resin. It has been a long time since I've considered a model finished, therefore it has also been a long time since I varnished something Happy Just make sure you get matte varnish and not gloss varnish, maybe try it out on something unimportant first and/or get it at a store where someone can help you with chosing the right one. Because there definitely is the right one. Takes Hat off

Chaos Dwarf Showcase: Legion of Jaskorh
Offtopic Showcase: Night Goblin Auxiliaries
Hobby Blog: ijasko @ Wordpress
05-10-2019 04:58 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1664
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x3 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018                               
RE: varnish / hard coatAbecedar 05-10-2019

I have used Testors Dull Cote with success.  Paint on, I have not used the spray on type.

Mainly because the models in question needed a Matt finish and the AP dip/stain made them
very shiny.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
05-10-2019 05:03 AM
Jasko
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 43

RE: varnish / hard coatJasko 05-10-2019

I have to ammend/change my earlier reply. Thanks for bringing up the question, Moloch! Comes at the right time for me, I will soon have ti varnish my models but did not yet really think about it. I just had a first look.

So first again concerning the material: the general consensus seems to be that well-undercoated plastic models maybe do not need to be varnished, but especially metal seems to really need it. So go ahead! It also depends if you're more on the collector/display side of the hobby or if you're actively playing, so touching and moving the models more. If they're basically painted and then just sit somewhere, varnishing can be ommitted, if you're actively using them, you should varnish.

Concerning gloss/satin/matte: So a glossy varnish apparently offers greater protection than a matte one. So for maximum protection people first apply glossy varnish and then remove the gloss by applying matte varnish on top. Satin varnish is more or less the middle-ground.

I still have an unopened can of Citadel varnish (not the current one though, the last iteration) at home and will have to try it out.

Chaos Dwarf Showcase: Legion of Jaskorh
Offtopic Showcase: Night Goblin Auxiliaries
Hobby Blog: ijasko @ Wordpress
05-10-2019 05:16 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Moloch
Hobgoblin

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 7

RE: varnish / hard coatMoloch 05-10-2019

Thank you for your quick replies Happy

@Jasko: I think that I really need to varnish them because I noticed that metal models ususally get chips and paint damages easy to spot quite often when I transport and play them.
They are well painted (at least for my standard Happy ) and I'm really in love with them...so I'll go for it and follow your advice.

05-10-2019 06:30 AM
Parish
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 171

RE: varnish / hard coatParish 06-19-2019

Yes I only do it for metal miniatures, though be cautious with that as it may sometimes be thick depending on what you use and ruins the miniature.(spray)
When I use them I also use gloss vanish (brush) on metalic parts otherwise it really kills a lot of you work, but at leats it protects your mini ^^

This post was last modified: 06-19-2019 05:42 AM by Parish.

06-19-2019 05:41 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Varnish problems Jorma 7 1,803 07-15-2014 10:51 AM
Last Post: Bloodbeard
  Purity Seal/varnish in Australia Necrotique 4 1,791 02-24-2012 05:23 PM
Last Post: Abecedar
  Citadel/Vallejo/Coat d'arm Paint Comparison Pyro Stick 13 11,833 05-27-2011 06:45 AM
Last Post: Pyro Stick
  Matte finish Varnish GRNDL 8 3,533 03-29-2010 05:00 PM
Last Post: Sousunou
  Advice needed: Hard Rock bases clam 0 1,120 02-08-2008 06:04 PM
Last Post: clam

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites