Author MessageBIG HAT CHAOS DWARF 2 TYPES OF THE SAME MODEL
Moloch
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 35

BIG HAT CHAOS DWARF 2 TYPES OF THE SAME MODELMoloch 06-14-2019

Hi Guys,

I didn't find any post her eon the forum and I've just found few words on the web..

Here is the picture of 2 models of the same big hat centaur body (type 3). As you can see they are different: the left one has a shorter arm and axe, the axe itself has no gems but he's got some gems on the front and the back of the hat. The right one has longer arm and axe, gems on the axe but none on the hat.

They are both featured on official catalogues and pictures...what happened here? did the mould got broken on the arm and they fixed it up this way? if yes, why did they add gems?

Ps: I saw that Chaos Dwarf wiki is missing a close up picture of centaur bodies and legs. If you need them, I've still got most of them unpainted.

Cheers!
Moloch

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-14-2019 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1256
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: BIG HAT CHAOS DWARF 2 TYPES OF THE SAME MODELNicodemus 06-14-2019

Moloch Wrote:
They are both featured on official catalogues and pictures...what happened here? did the mould got broken on the arm and they fixed it up this way? if yes, why did they add gems?

Whaaaaaaaaaaat!!!??!?!? For someone who has been here 7 years and hasn't posted much this is a fantastic find Moloch!  Takes Hat off

I have never noticed this before. I'm going to have to dig through my box of Bull Centaur models tonight and see if I have either of these.  It's very suspicious that it's not just the hat or just the weapon, but both, suggesting it's not an accidental change applied to a mould (i.e. if they had problems with the bumps on the weapon and decided to get rid of them later on... unlikely, but I can't imagine why otherwise).

The wiki certainly needs some updates all over Wink
~N

P.S. Do you have any images of these from catalogues, etc that you can post?

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

06-14-2019 01:06 PM
Moloch
Hobgoblin

RE: BIG HAT CHAOS DWARF 2 TYPES OF THE SAME MODELMoloch 06-14-2019

Eheheh, let's say this is my comeback find Wink
I've been looking for both versions for a long time and today the postman deliver the missing one! so I was finally able to make this post

Here attached the mail order catalogue pages (taken from the web) the yellow margins is from the 1997 catalogue while the other is elder (i don't know exactly).

So..the long axe type is the second version.

Ok, in the following weeks I'll take some pictures and post them for the wiki...Damn, I've painted isome many models n these days  Mad I could have taken a picture before starting...but I did not!!! Mad

Gab/Moloch

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-14-2019 01:26 PM
Nicodemus

Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               

The wiki has the bumps on the weapon, so we could use an entry with the bumps on the hat.... which would make the BC section of the 4th Ed models a nice 2x4 symmetric layout. Wink

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )

06-14-2019 01:39 PM
Nicodemus

PS that second catalog image is from the 1993 Black catalogue

06-14-2019 01:44 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1334
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: BIG HAT CHAOS DWARF 2 TYPES OF THE SAME MODELcornixt 06-14-2019

The shiny model in the yellow edged page makes it impossible to see the areas where the bumps would be, but here is a different catalogue that shows it in 1998:
http://www.solegends.com/citcat1998/1998P142-00.htm

I've never heard anyone notice this before, good eyes! The big question is why? They clearly reworked the model to move the studs and add a longer arm, and then updated the catalogue image rather than just re-using the old image.

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.
There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

This post was last modified: 06-14-2019 02:44 PM by cornixt.

06-14-2019 02:42 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 261
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017                               
RE: BIG HAT CHAOS DWARF 2 TYPES OF THE SAME MODELAdmiral 06-15-2019

Sharp-eyed catch! Ebay sellers may be in for some very exact questions. Happy

I've been in contact with Alan Perry earlier.  It's too clunky to track back on my phone at the moment, but you can easily get in E-mail contact via Perry Miniatures.

Cheers

News on CDO: Artisan's Contest XXVIII - Deadline 31st of October  ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings:
Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
06-15-2019 11:07 AM
Nicodemus

RE: BIG HAT CHAOS DWARF 2 TYPES OF THE SAME MODELNicodemus 06-15-2019

Edit: This post was recovered after a website restore deleted content from ~11pm Jun 14 to 3am Jun 15, 2019. Here's the missing post from Zanthrax, then mine:

This is certainly an odd design choice. I wonder if they just had problem with the model with the rivets on the hat because the axe in that model is closer to the body... Hmm, nah, never mind. They have other models with tight crevasses like that which don't cause enough of a problem with the moulds for them to make modifications. Maybe one was an early version that was mostly used in the studio early-on and the other is a later update?? Sheesh. Who knows. There's a chance Alan Perry might know if he was the one that did the modifications.

So, can you believe - out of 27 4th edition Bull Centaurs (27... 27!!!), I only have one of these guys!?!? I can't believe it. It's probably not a coincidence though, as I don't care for the flaccid hat look Takes Hat off  Anyway, out of 27 (27!!) I have the guy with the rivets on the weapon, not rivets on the hat.

Looking through some of my older material I found these from 1994 and 1995:

In the 1994 White Dwarf Presents: Chaos Dwarfs supplement they have this catalogue page (upper right) with the Upper torso with axe 3 showing rivets on the hat.  Inside the painted models also show the same version with a clearly highlighted rivet on the hat and no highlighted rivet on the weapon.

In the 1995 White Dwarf issue 186, they show the exact same Chaos Dwarf army in a battle (I guess the studio wasn't shelling out for multiple painted versions!) but at the back in the catalogue section they show the model with the rivets on the weapon and not on the hat, although here it's clear this is a showcase of individual models that you purchase in a blister pack and not individual part numbers that you'd use for ordering.

So I wonder if these two had the same part number or if they had different part numbers for mail order?  In case it's not clear in the image (it's not clear to me) here's what I have from the White Dwarf Presents: Chaos Dwarfs supplement catalogue entry, which has a suspicious gap:

Quote:
Bull Centaur Bull Body Left Side 1.... 75815/1
Bull Centaur Bull Body Right Side 1... 75815/2
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 1 75815/3
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 2 75815/4
Bull Centaur Bull Body Left Side 2.... 75815/5
Bull Centaur Bull Body Right Side 2... 75815/6
........... no catalogue entry........... 75815/7
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 3 75815/8 (rivets on hat shown)
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 4 75815/9
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 5 75815/10
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 6 75815/11
Bull Centaur Standard Bearer.......... 75816/7

I believe the 8582 catalogue number shown for the Bull Centaur models from the White Dwarf issue above is the code for the blister packs of Bull Centaurs, which contained a single random model.

I looked through the rest of the catalogue. It's clear that 75815/75816 are the Bull Centaur codes.  The White Dwarf Presents: Chaos Dwarfs supplement catalogue entries are the same as those in the 1993 Black Catalogue entry for Bull Centaurs.   Just to be clear, The Black Catalogue was released in 1994, same year as the Chaos Dwarf Supplement, but listed all the models released in 1993.

The missing 1993/1994 catalogue entry for part "75815/7", right before the suspect torso, seems to be a red herring though.

The Stuff of Legends archive doesn't have an entry for Bull Centaurs in with the Chaos Dwarfs from the "1994 catalogue" (released in 1995 and covering all models available in 1994), but in the 1995/1996 Annual the Bull Centaurs are listed again with part numbers unchanged and using the same stock images. It's not the same scanned page though, it's the real page from the proper issue! The 1997 catalogue has the same part numbers.

Then in the 1998 Annual catalogue the part numbers all changed and we see the updated Upper Torso with Axe 3 with the rivets on the weapon (part number 021100508).    

Quote:
Bull Centaur Bull Body Left Side 1.... 021100501
Bull Centaur Bull Body Right Side 1... 021100502
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 1 021100503
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 2 021100504
Bull Centaur Bull Body Left Side 2.... 021100505
Bull Centaur Bull Body Right Side 2... 021100506
........... no catalogue entry........... 021100507 (WFT??!??)
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 3 021100508 (rivets on weapon shown)
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 4 021100509
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 5 0211005010
Bull Centaur Upper Torso with Axe 6 discontinued?
Bull Centaur Standard Bearer.......... 021100607

You can translate old part numbers to the new ones like this:

Quote:
__75815/8
______508

It seems like 1998 was the last time models for the Chaos Dwarf army were officially listed in catalogues.

So that BC model seems to have had two versions since close to the beginning as both versions showed up early (White Dwarf Presents and WD issue 186). So very strange!  So I wonder what would have happened when ordering the specific part number, might it just have been random which one you got or is it that maybe the rivets on the hat was an earlier era and the rivets on the weapon came soon after, but the catalogues were just slow to update their stock image??

~N

Edit - I'm reposting this, SO GLAD I SAVED THIS POST!! Webserver issues overnight and we lost all posts and uploads from last evening.

This post was last modified: 06-16-2019 04:50 AM by Nicodemus.

06-15-2019 11:36 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1687
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x3 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018                               
RE: BIG HAT CHAOS DWARF 2 TYPES OF THE SAME MODELAbecedar 06-17-2019

A very nice discovery.  I think all of us should be checking our collections

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
06-17-2019 03:43 AM
Moloch
Hobgoblin

RE: BIG HAT CHAOS DWARF 2 TYPES OF THE SAME MODELMoloch 06-17-2019

Great analysis Nicodemus!

So, if somebody writes Alan Perry and get an answer, please post it here too Wink

Thank you

Moloch

06-17-2019 03:55 AM
BABIS
Great Taurus

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 251
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: BIG HAT CHAOS DWARF 2 TYPES OF THE SAME MODELBABIS 06-18-2019

interesting discovery! all I can say is that I bought a bunch of bull centaurs through the mail order about 15 years ago and I received the longer axe model..

BABIS CHAOS DWARFS BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12173

Bloodbeard Wrote:
With all that heavy firepower, you'll be able to take on the Old Ones when they return in their silver ships.

This post was last modified: 06-18-2019 04:01 AM by BABIS.

06-18-2019 03:58 AM
Nicodemus

RE: BIG HAT CHAOS DWARF 2 TYPES OF THE SAME MODELNicodemus 07-04-2019

I have updated the 4th Edition model range in the wiki with information about this additional "Bull Centaur Axe 3" model:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/index.p...The_Models

Hope you're OK with it Moloch, I've used the images you contributed!  Thanks very much!!
~N

07-04-2019 11:43 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  can you help with a chaos dwarf model colrud1 5 1,403 07-27-2015 06:27 PM
Last Post: Dînadan
  Which Chaos Dwarf model will be released next? KingFisher 12 3,388 07-31-2011 07:49 AM
Last Post: Grimstonefire
  Diffrent types of cd Kera foehunter 21 4,683 07-20-2009 05:50 PM
Last Post: Kera foehunter

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites