Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
GRNDL's Chaos Dwarfs (updated - Sep 26 2010)
Author MessageGRNDL's Chaos Dwarfs (updated - Sep 26 2010)
torn
Lord of Flaming Automatons

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 237
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Scribe's Contest Gold                               
RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLtorn 04-07-2008

just found these not sure why i never before

i really really like the glowing colours here, they are really bright and bring the models to life. the bright orange beards and dark pink skin really looks good. cant wait to see more!

current projects:-
New mask/helmet style chaos dwarfs
blood bowl necromantic repaint
beyond the gates of antares algoryn force
my own battlefield!

2014 results with chaos dwarfs
1 - 0 - 1
04-07-2008 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Canix
Spirit of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 10

RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLCanix 04-07-2008

These are new to me to love the bighat leader excellent stuff more chaos dwarf clans .The colours of these are very distinctive and original keep em coming Respect to the Hat!

Realists are hampered by there inability to comprehend the true nature of reality
The Pledge 2010:
Bought:11 Painted:12
04-07-2008 11:44 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 742
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLHashut's Blessing 04-07-2008

Excellent colours scheme, in my opinion. I think if the miovement tray looks and is painted like the cork rocks, the red bases will work well. I like the blue. it's a good contrast. Any more and it'd look hideous. Less and it'd be futile. The banner has been constructed well, to the point I hadn't realised it was a conversion. How, pray tell, did you paint the orange of the beards? it's the best orange beard colouring I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of orange beards...

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

04-07-2008 11:55 AM
GRNDL
The Last Word of Hashut and Mediocrity

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 158
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLGRNDL 04-07-2008

Thanks for your thoughts and comments, they are very helpful indeed. I've been behind on most projects because of the GH5, but I will be going back and doing a themed base, see if it works with the red and if not, bring out the black!! The GH5 was a lot of fun but it took a lot out of me. Now its over, its back to the big projects.

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
How, pray tell, did you paint the orange of the beards? it's the best orange beard colouring I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of orange beards...

There's no great secret really. I laid down a base of "Macharius Solar Orange", then did a wash of red ink and two layers of highlights - blazing orange and fiery orange. I think that it stands out with the dark of the armours around it, which is dark red (ie: red gore with a tinge of black, highlighted with blood red and blazing orange).  

The orange base might make a difference, since it was done over black undercoat, but does a good job of covering. I've been using the foundation paints as much as I can - mainly because I bought the whole lot of them when they came out.

Does that help?

Takes Hat off GRNDL's CD Army Blog  

04-07-2008 01:29 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               

Cheers. So, is the Macharius Solar Orange a foundation paint? Just a normal red ink wash? With the highlights, did you just drybrush? (I've never actually don't a highlight that wasn't a drybrush before and it's never been intended as a highlight).

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

04-07-2008 01:47 PM
GRNDL

Veteran Medal - Bronze                               

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
Cheers. So, is the Macharius Solar Orange a foundation paint? Just a normal red ink wash? With the highlights, did you just drybrush? (I've never actually don't a highlight that wasn't a drybrush before and it's never been intended as a highlight).

Yeah, its one of the new Citadel foundation paints. Yep, just a regular Citadel Ink wash. Most of my paints are Citadel because they are easier for me to get than "normal" art/hobby stuff.

re: highlights.

In most of the cases on these models, I ended up drybrushing the beards. They were one of the first things I drybrushed on the models, shortly after metals. On some of the models, notably the front rank ones, I painted the beards by hand, rather than dry-brushing because they'd be looked at more. I'm pretty crappy with it on hair, so if it doesn't work out, out comes the drybrushes. Happy

04-07-2008 03:02 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WarplockMonkey
Bull Centaur Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 0
Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLWarplockMonkey 04-07-2008

Vewwi gurd stuff!

And as for the lizardmen, if there is anything you want to ask me, wether it be to do with sculpting, or any ideas i'm here to help

It gives me the chance to maybe (if im lucky) see some of my ideas made flesh, those that i do not have the materials, money or time to do myself! Tongue

Zombie sarus seem really cool........

"I dont have TIME fo' pain, the only pain I'VE got time fo' is the pain I put on foos who dont know what time it is" - Terrible Terry Tate

Got an idea for that model you've always wanted to make, but couldn't find the means to convert it? Seen that bit of artwork and thought 'That would be an awesome model'? Give Warplock a PM, any sculpting/converting request considered Wink

Sojourn Wrote:
Anything Warplock says, instantly becomes fact.

04-07-2008 03:20 PM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Thank you again. I hope you don't mind, but I;d like to steal that beard colour for at least one model in my army, if not several... (Hmmm, unit champions? All commands? A certain hero? Oh, the possibilities!)

WarplockMonkey Wrote:

04-07-2008 03:22 PM
GRNDL

Veteran Medal - Bronze                               

@Hashut's Blessing.

Yeah, well, you'd have to clear all those sorts of request with Warplockmonkey, my Ideas Lawyer. He has to protect his intellectual property. Happy

Seriously, I cannot claim the colour, so as far as I'm concerned you can use whatever you like. I am flattered that you ask. I was in turn inspired by an army in the showcase. Off hand I fail to remember who's it was, but they had an orange beard.

@Warplockmonkey

Zombie saurus is sort of on hiatus. I modded one, it looked good, but the pose didn't lend itself to ranking. I decided to paint it up anyway, but the colour scheme went kablooie. I was trying to figure out something in purple and rotting flesh and it looked like crap, so I aborted it and went back to my Golden Hat. I'll post some pics of things a bit later, but once again, there's nothing to be proud of.

EDIT:
So, now that Golden Hat 5 is over, I feel I can blab about my entry. Happy  Be warned, its pic heavy and there will be lots of blabbing.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
WARNING: PIC AND WAFFLING HEAVY POST
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This post is essentially a lot of pontificating and regurgitated waffling about how and why this model was made the way it was. Feel free to ignore, skip, etc.

When the topic of GH5 was revealed, it didn't take long for my fevered mind to come up with what I wanted to do. I had just bought a bunch of Black Orks for use in my Orks & Goblins army and had built a unit (complete with Standard Bearer), but thought that I could - with a few bells and whistles - make one unit for two armies, with an interchangeable Standard Bearer to indicate its current allegiance.  A couple of crappy sketches (both done in under 10 mins) I had a plan and a story came about, this is what I posted with my entry:

+++++

This entry was inspired by the Epic Saga "Ragamakazug: a Sordid Tale of Black Orks, Big Hats and Fake Beards" - a 500 volume tome largely forgotten by the empires of the Old World and only ever partially written by semi-literate and drunk scribes of Zharr Naggrund, subsequently executed for the travesty of said saga.

General idea: A Black Ork whelpling raids a dwarf caravan in a far away, obscure land. It turns out to be a renegade dwarf entertainment troupe and their costumes - an inordinate amount of fake beards and tubular hats, for the express purpose of mocking the Chaos Dwarves in "dwarven" plays.  As he returned to his Chaos Dwarf masters, he succumbed to the urge to try on the fake beards and while he japed with his new beard, he was mistaken by the rest of the Orks, Hobgnoblars and even drunk Dawi Zharr as a Chaos Dwarf Hero.  "What are your orders?" they asked uncomfortably trembling in the presence of the tallest and mightiest Chaos Dwarf they would ever see in the service of Hashut.

"Tuh da landz ov da stunteez an beyon'! 'Ashut az told mee'z" And so the saga of Ragamakazug begins... Apparently.  Of course, most of the saga is missing and so some parts of it might be subject to interpretation, but there you go.

+++++

I had intended to write a full short story, but I fell behind on my entry, so I had to ditch it.  At worst, I wanted to explain the "idea" behind it.

So, this Black Ork wears a fake beard and either leads or commands the unit it is attached to, by virtue of the beard. Why? Because beards rule! Even fake ones...

The modelling followed soon after:

Since this guy was going to be the "centerpiece" of a unit, I felt he needed to be taller and more commanding than the rest. The Black Ork models are all hunched over and didn't convey the "leadership" I felt I needed, so I hacked his left leg apart and reposed it to be straighter. This gave the impression that he was "stepping down".  

His axe arm had a similar issue. All the Black Ork hand weapon arms are bent 90 degs or so at the elbow - I needed the arm to be outstretched, as if giving an order. So, I replaced it completely with a Black Ork great weapon arm which is much straighter. I cut off the weapon and sliced the arm at the elbow and wrist, then remodelled the forearm with Warplockmonkey's secret GS/BS combination. For this task, it worked quite well. Three layers got me a chainmail undercoat and a platemail bracer. The upper arm was positioned and GS used to replace the musculature, so it worked with the shouldpad. I got lazy with this bit because I didn't want to move the platemail shoulderpad to support the "commanding gesture."

While all this was going on, I was modelling a Black Ork sized Chaos Dwarf hat. I got a little carried away with trying to sculpt details on the arrows and the helmet brim.  The Helm was originally built on a closed Black Ork helmed head, but I felt like he needed some expression and literally pulled the head off the brown stuff helm and glued the Ork open helm in its place. The top of the Hatmet is an old goblin shield.

I started off doing the scale armour Xander style, as I had on all my other CD models, but on a Black Ork, you discover that you have more space to work with and more space = more detail. I decided to push my luck and tried to round off each scale at the bottom and for extra detail. I used a papercraft embossing tool to get the little depression on each scale to give a sort of samurai-style lamellar armour feel. I thought this fit in with the eastern feel of the Hobboes.

After that, there was a lot of beards to sculpt. The Ork himself has a fake beard dangling from around his neck by a rope. Its hard to see in most photos.  The Hobgnoblar has a fake beard too, but I guess the rope sort of looks like a strap for the big hat...  

After these two real fake beards (!), I tried to get as many beards on the standard as possible. The idea was that the Ork had taken the fake beards from the Dwarven caravan and tied them to his standard, which "roughly" (conveniently) is an effigy of Hashut (Orkish version) - an Ork bull with a beard... with fake beards.  Or something.  

The thing on the back was supposed to be a horse hair plume. I added it because the back of the model was looking pretty sparse and I thought the plume would add some sweeping movement to it. I kept adding GS to it, more and more, but I feel like I failed to capture the "hairiness" of it. It gives the model motion, so I don't think it was a complete waste.

The Hobgnoblar was a bit of an afterthought. I had been wanting to do something with the Ogre figures (I have a bunch of them) without committing to a whole army, so I figured this Standard Bearer needed to be over the top and this guy fit the bill.

The Painted Model:

Face:

Armour:

Standard & Hobgnoblar:

When it came to painting the bastard, I realized that I had to stick with regular CD colours - mainly to push the fact that this was an Ork posing as a Chaos Dwarf and not just a Black Ork with a beard and a weird hat.  After I had laid the base colours onto the model, I realized it was WAAYYYYY too red, so I made some of the armour pieces straight gunmetal to reduce the red.  I tried to paint the weapons and standard as "Orky" as possible - rusted metal and chipped paint. I almost did the same thing to the armour, but I chickened out of putting silver paint chips over the red armour, which I had spent quite a lot of time on. Looking back, I should have kept pushing the chipped look, to unify the model. As it is, the armour looks brand new while everything else is worn and dirty.

Ok, enough waffling. I've got it off my chest. And dammit, it feels good.

/looks forward to the next Golden Hat (and a smaller project)

Please use the edit button in the bottom right of your posts. Thank you ~ Hashut's Blessing

This post was last modified: 04-17-2008 12:34 AM by Hashut's Blessing.

04-07-2008 05:13 PM
Canix
Spirit of Hashut

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 10

RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLCanix 04-09-2008

I loved this model and put in in first place ,although not a CD it made me smile the most and you could see the work that had gone into it .The Blorc with bighat and beard was a masterstrokeTakes Hat off

Realists are hampered by there inability to comprehend the true nature of reality
The Pledge 2010:
Bought:11 Painted:12
04-09-2008 05:38 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1362
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLGrimstonefire 04-09-2008

I loved the gnoblar, a beautiful touch!  I might even give you a slave for him.

I like the way you've done the scales, with the little dip thing in each it looks more like the lamellar armour of old than you usually see.

I think you should go back and weather it, it will help to bring it all together.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
04-09-2008 06:23 AM
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 87
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2007 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLIshkur Cinderhat 04-09-2008

A spectacular conversion, and a very nice paintjob. You had my vote. Wink

04-09-2008 07:04 AM
Kera foehunter
Zharr Nauggund Alpha Female

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 153
Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLKera foehunter 04-09-2008

great great great thats for the wip the gnobler and his cute hat rules

The last of female chaos dwarf
04-09-2008 04:38 PM
Mikke
Slave

RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLMikke 04-16-2008

Good work! You are good at handling that damn GS!Keep up that good work!

04-16-2008 05:04 AM
furrie
hat lover

Slaves: 243

RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLfurrie 04-16-2008

its a realy cool model

My blog with big hatters

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
I like big hats and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny, when a dwarf walks in with an iddy biddy thing and wears it on his head, you get sprung...

Kera foehunter Wrote:
But there is only one choice
Big hats anything else is just a emo Dwarf

04-16-2008 05:35 AM
Narflung
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLNarflung 04-16-2008

I absolutely love your Black orc, would love to see how you finish off the unit.

I had planned to paint my BlOrcs in a similar fashion, but much darker. I'm taking notes on your style...

04-16-2008 07:39 AM
GRNDL

Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLGRNDL 04-16-2008

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, I appreciate it, particularly the ones about the GS work. I find that GS sculpting has gotten easier with practice but I find it very comical to think that with the methods I use, that I have gotten any results at all - I tend to drop the putty at least 5 times before it gets to the model.

I think what I liked most about the GH entries was that there were many approaches to the same thing and the theme wasn't so restrictive that you couldn't do strange things!  

@Narflung
   I was originally going to use the same colourings that I used on my Chaos Dwarves - a red gore/black 50/50 mix as the deepest colour shaded at the edges to orange to get a fiery look, but I fell out of the habit of mixing the black in and it got a lot brighter. For the rest of the unit, I think I will retain the silver and red look, but darken both to keep the dirty, unkempt look. I think adding more browns to the red mix, or just weathering more rust would help. This should also have the effect of making the Standard bearer pop out more.

EDIT: Quick update on the CDs.

The first unit of CDs I made took quite awhile to put together. Because of my horrible work and personal schedule, I get about 2 hrs a night to do stuff, if I feel like doing anything at all. So, I needed a way to get things rolling faster and I've looked to Ishkur's army to accomplish it.

For the last few weeks (!), well, since GH5 was over, I've been converting a "dwarf front" to fit in with my army. Its essentially a modified front bit of the plastic dwarf miners box set (they have bare arms), with a sculpted hat, hair and beard. When its done, the front and the blunderbuss will be cast so I don't have to repeat the modelling work as much. Hopefully, the turnaround on the blunderbuss unit will be a lot faster than the warriors.

This post was last modified: 04-17-2008 12:43 AM by Hashut's Blessing.

04-16-2008 11:37 AM
GRNDL

Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLGRNDL 05-10-2008

@Hashut's Blessing

I just noticed that you made a request for me to use the edit button for something, but I have no idea for what? I do use it from time to time, but I have no idea what you are meaning for me to edit? Was the post too long? Too many pics?  Sorry, I've just noticed it right now, as I'm about to add another entry in the blog.

05-10-2008 12:57 AM
GRNDL

Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLGRNDL 05-10-2008

I haven't added anything to the blog for awhile, although there has been a bit of progress in my CD army.  As noted above, I'd been working on a second unit of CDs, this time equipped with blunderbusses but wanted to cut down on the conversion work. So, I opted to modify a dwarf warrior head/body bit with a beard, hair and a big hat. Also, because I wanted bare arms for my BB's, I modified the "front bit" and the blunderbuss bit with bare arms. Finally, I crafted a new "bell" for the blunderbuss to make it look a bit more chaosy.

As you can see, compared to my CD warrior unit, I've gone a bit more traditional CD. Where the warriors had unkempt hair at the back, these guys are a bit more aristocratic and have their hair in curls to go along with the ore refined big hat. I also took a stab at the scale armour, which is surprisingly hard to keep regular over weird shaped patches of GS. I ran into some areas where I couldn't actually position the tool I was using to make the scales correctly, so I ended up with some weird irregularities.

There's some weird anatomy on the blunderbuss arm, but hopefully I can correct that with some painting.

I managed to acquire some Smooth-On ultra-low viscosity resin through a sculptor supplier in New York  (IIRC). I got two types, SC-300 and SC-305. They differ greatly in terms of pot time and demold time. Pot time is how long you have before the resin blooms and starts curing and demold time is how long you generally have to wait till the copy can be removed from the mold.

Resin                     Pot time          Demold time
SC-300                     2-3 mins          10 mins
SC-305                     7 mins             30 mins

Both resins pour like water and immediately start releasing trapped air. The SC-305 is much thinner and hardly traps any air while mixing. I found the 7 mins pot time on the 305 helps with tricky molds where you need to rummage around to get the air out of corners and so on, but not so good for Ishkur type molds unless you like hanging around for the bloom to happen. It also tends to run out of  vents very quickly.

All in all, both resins were worth the purchase iMHO. I noticed a vast improvement in the amount of errors in the casting, despite complex molding.

05-10-2008 01:13 AM
Vexxus
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 67
Army Showcase Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: The Dawi Zharr of GRNDLVexxus 05-10-2008

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
A spectacular conversion, and a very nice paintjob. You had my vote. Wink

Had my vote as well, and I think this was my favorite for sure... not to perpetuate my much rumoured soft spot for greenskins Wink

Excellent work GRNDL, I always enjoyed logging onto the site just to once again be amazed at the amazingness that is this Orc!

05-10-2008 01:19 AM
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink (Updated 1-28-14 Hell Canon) Squig's Chaos Dwarfs giantsquig 77 34,536 01-28-2014 10:08 AM
Last Post: giantsquig
  [01-03-2010] -m3lvins CHAOS DWARFS (pic heavy) m3lvin 186 119,797 10-25-2013 10:28 PM
Last Post: ClawLeader
  Redhammer's Chaos Dwarf conversions! [updated 12/16/10] Redhammer 38 13,175 12-17-2010 01:12 PM
Last Post: Redhammer
  The Bear's Grizzly Dwarfs - Updated 12-12-10 The_Bear_in_the_Hat 42 19,519 12-15-2010 02:09 AM
Last Post: Borador
  [06/01/2010] Ellimist's Chaos Dwarf Army Ellimist 40 42,868 06-20-2010 10:15 AM
Last Post: Willmark

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites