1 Votes - 5 Average   Ishkur's Dawi Zharr project
Author MessageIshkur's Dawi Zharr project
Canix
Spirit of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 10

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectCanix 09-30-2007

Huzzah more stuff from Ishkur coming soon i am getting so excited i am spilling my beerCheers!

Realists are hampered by there inability to comprehend the true nature of reality
The Pledge 2010:
Bought:11 Painted:12
09-30-2007 04:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Willmark
Dark Shogun of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1179
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectWillmark 10-01-2007

Hey no alcohol abuse as in spilling it instead of drinking it! Wink

My Want List / My Trade List
10-01-2007 09:57 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AGPO
BOAR CENTAUR!

Group: Mods of Hashut
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1271

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectAGPO 10-06-2007

Tallhat Wrote:

AGPO Wrote:
I don't see why mini painting (as an end in itself) isn't usually art tallhat, check out Golden Daemon, or Golden Hat for that matter! but I agree with you on one thing - MAKE MORE MODELS ISHKUR!!!

I wasnt implying that painting isnt art. I was talkign about his modeling skills. I was actually giving him a compliment.

- Tallhat

I recognised the compliment, I was just saying that painting and modelling are art forms and thus worthy of the status whatever the level. Sorry to have caused confusion, it was just pedantry on my part. *cough* bull centaurs *cough*

Check out my blogs!:
Chaos Dwarfs (6/6/09)Other shiny things (13/11/11)

I follow the Grumpy But Responsible Gamers' Charter. Join us!

Sojourn Wrote:
FYI Wilmark, the only alcohol I'm drinking is from that bucket

This post was last modified: 10-09-2007 05:40 PM by AGPO.

10-06-2007 08:11 AM
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 86
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2007 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectIshkur Cinderhat 10-11-2007

Oi! My Khan got more credit through the Golden Hat than a lowly hobgoblin deserves, yet I am happy so many of you liked it! Here are some larger pictures - to show all the painting mistakes which the small format of the pictures in the GH thread so kindly masked. Wink

And this is how I made him - lo, a lot of text ahead! ^^

My hobgoblin boss, Khan gedei Nosebiter, had a mount already in the first sketches. But the GW wolves are quite static and tend to get boring as you run out of creative options how to assemble them (there are only about two, really). So it was clear for me that I needed to do some heavy converting to make his mount a bit more interesting!

I wanted to show the wolf in mid-motion, looking for prey, maybe a bit like a hound and had a special paw position in mind. So I checked Wikipedia's entry on wolves and found that the pose is indeed possible. I cut all the legs and ankles of the wolf on several joints and completely repositioned them. I also wanted the wolf head to look to the side, other than all other wolves in the squad. The resulting gaps were filled with brown stuff and lots of fur and skin were then resculpted over that with the softer green stuff.

In the end I was really happy with how the wolf turned out, more so after the painting. I'm more happy with the wolf actually than I am with the rider. :/

Hobgoblins are more a type of allies for the Chaos Dwarfs, not real slaves as the other greenskins. I mean, they might be wretched allies, but are allies nonetheless Happy - so I went for a rather bold leader, with sashimono back banners, trophies and the biggest hat of all!!

At first I researched my Osprey book for Mongol Warriors for possible weapon and armour designs, but in the end I just based the design on that of the other wolf riders.

As I had a spare Oglah Khan miniature (I bought two boxes to make my unit of 10), I cut it apart at the waist line and discarded the upper body. The legs were used without any further conversion. The torso, fur and armour are built from scratch using brown stuff and green stuff. The arms are from Chaos Marauders (the left one is actually a metal right arm from the Marauder horsemen turned upside down. You don't see it under the shield but it has the thumb on the wrong side of the hand *g*) the sword blade was made from milliput and filed to look pointier, then attached to the hilt of a Skeleton sword and pinned to the plastic hand. The face is a brown stuff cast off a sneaky git, with a resculpted chin and new, half-curly brown stuff beard. The leather and fur of the helmet were scratch-made in several layers of green stuff.

I think the helmet is probably the best part of the rider, as it turned out really nice.
The worst part of the rider however is the cloak of fur on his back, that's supposed to cover the harness for the banner poles. The fur just didn't turn out the way I wanted it!

The shoulder pads were also quite tricky, as they look simpler on the GW models than they are. I think they look fine after painting, but don't look like a convincing piece of scale mail or studded leather. If I use these on the Bull Centaurs; I'll need some practicing first.

I inverted the shield colours and painted the wolf differently from the others to make the boss stand out - but as it turned out this wouldn't have been necessary as the boss became a lot larger than planned - he stands about one head taller than the other wolf riders, which I guess is quite an impressive build for a hobgoblin! ^^

I am glad so many of you liked the model. I for my part definitely enjoyed the converting and painting, and I hope my boss will cut some throats nicely during the next battles! Respect to the Hat!

This post was last modified: 10-11-2007 03:06 PM by Ishkur Cinderhat.

10-11-2007 03:03 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Canix
Spirit of Hashut

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectCanix 10-11-2007

BeautifulTakes Hat offRespect to the Hat!Takes Hat offRespect to the Hat!Takes Hat offRespect to the Hat!Takes Hat offRespect to the Hat!Takes Hat off
Thank you for the lesson in the art of modelling  your work astoundsShock

Realists are hampered by there inability to comprehend the true nature of reality
The Pledge 2010:
10-11-2007 03:39 PM
clam
Slave to Darkness

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 1251
Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectclam 10-11-2007

Thank you! - not that I would even think about trying this out though. But still very inspiring.

And the wolf ..... OMG! - as said in the voting thread: "the best GW wolf I have ever seen". Please tell us how you did the paintjob for the wolf.

Clam's Coloured Classic Collection

Follow Clamshells on Facebook
10-11-2007 04:45 PM
McNs
Unregistered

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectMcNs 10-11-2007

Keep it up Ishtar!  You are truly an inspiration! Cheers!

- McNs

10-11-2007 05:08 PM
Quote this message in a reply
AGPO
BOAR CENTAUR!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectAGPO 10-11-2007

Quote:
Here are some larger pictures - to show all the painting mistakes which the small format of the pictures in the GH thread so kindly masked.

Yeah Ishkur, because you really suffer from painting errors :p

Check out my blogs!:

Sojourn Wrote:

10-11-2007 05:45 PM
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2007 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectIshkur Cinderhat 10-11-2007

Hehe nothing special about the wolf, regular highlighting and drybrushing technique. The wolf incl. base only took me an evening to paint. The rider was more demanding.

AGPO Wrote:
Yeah Ishkur, because you really suffer from painting errors :p

Yes, there is this terrible spot - right over there!

10-11-2007 06:29 PM
catbarf
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 1

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectcatbarf 10-14-2007

Ishkur, I have an idea to add variety- why not split the molds into two pieces, one for the body and one for the hat?That way you could swap around the hats for variety.

Mathhammer junkie.
10-14-2007 07:51 PM
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectIshkur Cinderhat 10-15-2007

Theoretically it would be possible to cut off the hats after the resin has hardened to a degree. But the bodies don't look that much different, so I don't think anyone would see the effect.

I have however thought of sculpting a 6th model to add to my units. But finishing the existing stuff should have priority over that! Wink

10-15-2007 07:14 AM
Uzkul Werit
Daemon Prince of Hashut

Slaves: 1
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor                               
RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectUzkul Werit 10-15-2007

Spotted the Hashut symbol on the quiver. Very nice touch.

For who knows their way around a larder better than a Halfling?
Raze their cities and loot their gold, bleed them dry and burn their souls!

Yamakaze on The Ogre Stronghold

10-15-2007 01:22 PM
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectIshkur Cinderhat 10-15-2007

The horned skull? That's already sculpted on, straight from GW. ^^

10-15-2007 04:05 PM
Malificant
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 0

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectMalificant 10-15-2007

hey ishkur, could you post a guide on your technique for point-source lighting?  the effect from your lava is stunning.

Ingrown Wrote:
Demonicly flesh stripped boar centaurs with flaming skull heads? ... you've just broke the boundary's of cool.

When God give you lemons, You find a New God!

"Then you have to wrestle a tiger with your bare hands..."

10-15-2007 04:59 PM
AGPO
BOAR CENTAUR!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectAGPO 10-16-2007

seconded

Check out my blogs!:

Sojourn Wrote:

10-16-2007 08:03 AM
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectIshkur Cinderhat 10-16-2007

Nothing special really, those parts closer to the light source (i.e. the lava pool) are painted in brighter colours than those a bit further away. The parts where no light would get to (the other side of rocks etc) are left in the shadows. Surprised? Wink

I usually paint the brightest spots on the rocks with less highlights than the final highlights in the lava. It's just a reflection after all. I do believe though that there are much better lava effects out there than mine.

This post was last modified: 10-16-2007 02:55 PM by Ishkur Cinderhat.

10-16-2007 02:53 PM
Canix
Spirit of Hashut

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectCanix 10-16-2007

Ishkur Cinderhat Wrote:
I do believe though that there are much better lava effects out there than mine.

Where exactly!Big Grin
Which paints do you use GW,foundry,vallejo? i did think about buying foundry paints but dont think my abilities would do them justice

The Pledge 2010:
10-16-2007 04:51 PM
Hammerhand
Bull Centaur

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 14

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectHammerhand 10-16-2007

Quite simply staggering.  Really inspiring. wow.  I've suddenly got the urge to make a mould of one of my guys, just to see if I can!

It's been a long time baby, but I guess the mark of Hashut just burns too deep.......
10-16-2007 05:28 PM
AGPO
BOAR CENTAUR!

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectAGPO 10-16-2007

I've lost track of the thread showing those really awesome lava bases some guy had for sale, anyone got the link?

Check out my blogs!:

Sojourn Wrote:

10-16-2007 05:42 PM
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

RE: Ishkur's Dawi Zharr projectIshkur Cinderhat 10-17-2007

Well, I think searching for "lava base" in google should already produce some suitable links!

I paint most of the stuff with regular Citadel paints. I recently bought the foundation paint "Mechrite red" and use it a lot on the Chaos Dwarfs. I also have some Vallejo paints, but these are mostly browns and greys.

10-17-2007 07:15 AM
Pages (26): « First < Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Arashi's Dawi Zharr conversions Arashi 100 57,298 11-04-2010 01:11 PM
Last Post: Arashi
  A Dawi Zharr goaler... Ubbo Sathla 18 9,564 02-26-2009 06:15 PM
Last Post: Ubbo Sathla

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites