Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon Conversion
Author MessageXander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon Conversion
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 423
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionXander 02-11-2007

Remember the game Siege?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/861
...You know, where you shoot plastic orange balls at a castle trying to knock over your enemy's troops? Of course you remember, you might even have a set collecting dust somewhere.

Well, it looks like they sold the molds to the pieces to a 3rd party and they have been producing Siege parts, and they can now be found at Dollarama. After thinking about it for a while, I decided I could make an Earthshaker out of the plastic Cannon.

Here you can see I dismantled the cannon and used a small saw to chip off some sections of the Cannon Base.

Cutting the Cannon in half with a small saw as well as the tip of the Cannon, I constructed a much smaller cannon. Using 5 Chaos Icons, and Round Unslotted Bases, I created the wheels and Cannon Muzzle. For the muzzle I carefully cut out the center of a Chaos Icon, and the center of a base.  To sand it smooth I was able to use the pin vice, which happens to be the perfect size. I then added a ring of GS on the underside of the base-with-a-hole and pressed the icon-with-a-hole onto it, and smoothed the GS. I glued the black sling-shot looking thing to the top of the base.  I also glued the Icons to the bases. (I actually used some old GW bases from Space Hulk, I think, just because I wanted to use them up)

I glued the muzzle to the Cannon and let it sit.  I constructed a nice large base for the Earthshaker to sit on.  Using some left over plastic, I added some extra siding on the Cannon Base so that the wheels would attach more nicely.  I then added the wheels to the side.  Optionally I used some leftover GS to sculpt a little skull on the shield icon atop the Cannon.

Adding a few details and gluing it all together I yield the fruits of my labour!  After only a few hours, with some sleep in between, I have myself a new Earthshaker Cannon!  With most of the cannon coming from the Dollar Store!  While I used 5 Chaos Icons, anyone could easily use only 1, and have different wheels.  

I am quite happy with how it turned out.  I chose to make the cannon barrel a little longer than the original model, but such things are subject to taste and can easily be made however one likes.  

Now I have to whip up some Crewman, and this baby is ready to pummel some enemies!

Comments appreciated!

----
More helpful pics:

----
Updated with Hellcannon bits. Happy

80mm Base: Glued the sides of two regimental bases and two small monster bases.  Filled the gaps with GS.
The gears from the hellcannon have a bit of an axel on them, so I decided to use those.  I drilled out holes to place them in the frame.

Added the Skull to the muzzle with the help of GS. Set up the wheels to test the appearance.

Removed the flash from the wheels and used GS to help secure them in place. Final product with crew.

For the crewman with no hands I am going to have him loading s shell into the cannon.  Once painted, I will add chains to the sides to chain it to the ground, like the Hellcannon.

EDIT: Painted

More pics here: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/show...hp?tid=183

Wow, big thread! Comments welcome. Happy

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Follow CDO on Twitter: Twitter

This post was last modified: 03-10-2007 03:31 PM by Xander.

02-11-2007 06:00 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pyro Stick
Wizard of the Glen

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 931
Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionPyro Stick 02-12-2007

Has anyone got any finished painted pictures of one of these?

My Chaos Dwarf Collection: GHXXVI

02-12-2007 04:13 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionXander 02-12-2007

Pyro Stick Wrote:
Has anyone got any finished painted pictures of one of these?

I am working on it.  I flocked my base, now I need to prime it.  Paint soon!

02-12-2007 04:18 PM
Pyro Stick
Wizard of the Glen

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 931
Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionPyro Stick 02-12-2007

Im only just about finished the barrel...

I dont get much time to paint anymore so it might take a while for pictures.

My Chaos Dwarf Collection: GHXXVI

02-12-2007 04:23 PM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Group: Mods of Hashut
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 731
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionHashut's Blessing 02-12-2007

I managed to prime mine yesterday, but not paint it. Will show it ASAP though!

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

02-12-2007 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionXander 02-13-2007

Awesome stuff!  I can't wait to see some of these!

02-13-2007 05:08 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionHashut's Blessing 02-13-2007

I haven't even decided the paint scheme yet. Probably balck barrel, metal skulls, scba red/metal/gold chaos stars and metal/gold base. At a guess.

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

02-13-2007 07:54 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionXander 02-13-2007

Ya, I m not sure either.  I will keep it pretty close on colours.  I might paint my wheels like the Hellcannon that rusty sort of red.

02-13-2007 08:00 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Well, I'll deicde whilst painting it. I have a rough image based on the rough image of the colours of my 4th ed blunderbusser.

WarplockMonkey Wrote:

02-13-2007 08:09 AM
hal
Bull Centaur Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 0

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon Conversionhal 02-13-2007

It's fantastic Xander, your conversions just get meaner and better.
It's weird though that I've never seen any of your guys painted, I'd really like to see them painted up.

02-13-2007 09:46 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Good point hal. I'd ESPECIALLY like to see your SiegeShakers painted. (Maybe as ispiration for mine...)

WarplockMonkey Wrote:

02-13-2007 09:46 PM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionXander 02-14-2007

hal Wrote:
It's fantastic Xander, your conversions just get meaner and better.
It's weird though that I've never seen any of your guys painted, I'd really like to see them painted up.

I've only just started converting my Chaos Dwarf army at the end of December.  And I have been doing so at school, where I didn't have my paints.

Now I have my paints with me, and am beginning to paint.  Additionally, I have a week off of school starting Friday.  I intend to paint all of what I have converted so far in that week.

Cheers. Happy

02-14-2007 07:07 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionHashut's Blessing 02-14-2007

Good plan. I haven't had the time to start painting my SiegeShakers yet. Probably not going to be able to until next week earliest.

WarplockMonkey Wrote:

02-14-2007 07:14 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionXander 02-20-2007

I am so close to done my Earthshaker now.  I need to add some chains and glue it down, and give it a few touch-ups.  But then it's ready to rock.

02-20-2007 02:07 AM
The Flying Beaver
Bull Centaur Hero

Group: Retired Staff
Slaves: 0

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionThe Flying Beaver 02-20-2007

Can't wait to see it! Happy

Stick 'em wiv knives. Stick 'em wiv arrows. Stick 'em wiv swords and spears. Stick 'em where it 'urts. But most importantly, stick 'em when they's not looking!
-Gorduz Backstabber, Hobgoblin Khan

My Chaos Dwarf Win Record:
W/L/D
41/23/12
02-20-2007 07:32 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionHashut's Blessing 02-20-2007

I have been unable to wait to see it for SO long now! It'll be worth it, I know...

WarplockMonkey Wrote:

02-20-2007 09:04 PM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionXander 02-21-2007

Ya, I am not a pro-painter, but I like to think I can hold my own.  My brother painted a Hobgoblin today and he looks pretty nice.  I am just about done a Warrior too.  So soon enough I will have a little painting Blog in the Showcase section.  Sorry for all the delays... my GF bought a Wii on Monday, so we have been painting and playing Wii.  She has been painting some things of her own and she has quite a steady hand!  She is quite able at painting, so she's having fun.  Tomorrow (this morning) we will be doing more painting/Wii.  The hobgoblin paint scheme is a go, and my Warrior is almost done, so that scheme may be a go as well.  If so, the painting should start ramping up.

02-21-2007 02:03 AM
ashur
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 1

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon Conversionashur 06-03-2007

I can believe the kind of things you can do with imagination and work. Great cannon.
where can we find "green stuff" or something similar ?

"The curse of Ashur, king of the gods, came over them for they sinned against the oath of the great gods. Their bodies they hung up on stakes. They flayed their skin and clad the city wall with them".
- Ashurbanipal -

Dawi'Zharr of all countries, unite !

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...67#pid8567
06-03-2007 12:33 AM
Perturabo
Unregistered

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionPerturabo 06-03-2007

GW's will probably sell GS, or you could try online places. I'm not sure about alternatives, but again, the net seems like a safe bet.

06-03-2007 06:41 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

RE: Xander's "Siege" Earthshaker Cannon ConversionHashut's Blessing 06-03-2007

GS at GW is 5. Very expensive. Also, a lot of people recommend Gale Force 9 or something like that because it's also better quality (not that I've ever used GS, just saying what I've heard).

WarplockMonkey Wrote:

06-03-2007 10:05 AM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Earthshaker Cannon G-or-G 7 2,330 02-01-2015 02:50 PM
Last Post: G-or-G
  Magma Cannon Conversion Frelf 16 5,860 10-26-2013 05:49 PM
Last Post: mireadur
  Xander's Lammasu Conversion - Raging Heroes + GW Manticore Xander 23 15,479 05-23-2013 04:28 AM
Last Post: Zanthrax
  Slave ogre for old school earthshaker cannon moses 21 8,244 03-11-2013 08:38 PM
Last Post: Mad Dave
  Hellcannon and Magma cannon conversion Exxonvaldez 12 7,153 11-21-2011 11:17 AM
Last Post: Exxonvaldez

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites