Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.
Author MessageBoar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.
chrishorrorshow
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 2

Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.chrishorrorshow 07-14-2008

Well, here's two quickie test conversions i've whipped up to try and sway myself one way or the other.  I'm working on a steampunk-esque CD style, aping Ishkur's method of casting the base troops.  

However, when it comes to my 2nd Rare choice, i can't decide between Bull/Boar centaurs or DOW Ogres.  I decided to make the Centaurs a little more savage to contrast with the rest of the army, but i'm using 40k Ork mega armor with a CD inside to represent Ogres.  I need some help deciding.  Opinions/C&C?

2017 Image Salvage

This post was last modified: 08-11-2017 11:37 AM by Admiral.

07-14-2008 02:12 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
al-hashut
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 8
Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.al-hashut 07-14-2008

Great so far. Is that regular orc mega armour or off of a special character?

It's a shame the boar centaurs don't get dreadlock beards. Also, are you going to add tusks to them?

07-14-2008 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
starscream
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 23

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.starscream 07-14-2008

thats ghazkull thrakas armour,looks good but I'm not convinced yet, seems a bit too steampunk, kinda like its outta Warmachine.

My bighats army blog

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...758&page=1

07-14-2008 03:50 PM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Group: Retired Staff
Slaves: 742
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.Hashut's Blessing 07-14-2008

With the "Ogre", either add in the other eye or remove that one. I'd say, with some more CD-ification, it'd be the "Ogres". However, I'd say do both and chose for each battle. The boar centaur would look a little better if 1) you changed the hair for the CD type hair OR 2) made it more frizzy etc to show the feral nature. at the moment, it looks a little to Western dwarfy...

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

07-14-2008 04:08 PM
chrishorrorshow
Hobgoblin

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.chrishorrorshow 07-14-2008

al-hashut:  what starscream said.  and you know, i don't think i will add tusks...i should maybe mock them up to see what they look like, though.

starscream:  agreed, it is very steampunk.  but so is the idea in mind for the rest of the army (sketching up/planning a steampunk taurus, lots of smoke and grime and such)...so it might work?

hashut's blessing:   yes, that eye has to go.  you may be right about the boar centaur as well...slayers seem the wildest of the western dwarves, but i suppose they don't even look all that bent out of shape.

07-14-2008 04:48 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.Hashut's Blessing 07-14-2008

I do think they will be the easiest models to look crazy, possibly the Doomseekers would as well. I just don't think they look quite Chaos Dwarf-like enough, rather than not crazy enough.

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

07-14-2008 05:45 PM
minty
Lammasu

Slaves: 0

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.minty 07-14-2008

*Drool* that ogre/robot thing is beyond awesome, and it would eb sacrelige to hashut if you don't use it

now how would a pirate use one of the things?

07-14-2008 06:20 PM
wallacer
Hashut's cow pimp

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 1046
Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Wiki - Major Contributor Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS                               
RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.wallacer 07-14-2008

The Ogre looks better in my opinion.
However, in game terms I think Bull Centaurs are a better choice.

Army pics: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...888&page=1
07-14-2008 06:27 PM
Captain Crayon
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 6
Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.Captain Crayon 07-14-2008

Both!

the ogre is seriously awesome, and the trollslayer model you've used for the centaur is one of my all time favourites Happy

I love the iron plated fists on the ogre. Would make a cool siege weapon for smashing down puny empire fortress gates Big Grin

do they still sell the troll slayer model?

This post was last modified: 07-14-2008 07:40 PM by Captain Crayon.

07-14-2008 07:38 PM
Kera foehunter
Zharr Nauggund Alpha Female

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 153
Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can\\\'t decide.Kera foehunter 07-14-2008

boar centaur!!!!!!!!!! part slayer  part pig!!!  and it even my faveroite slayer model .
an orange hair maniac slayer boar centaur. that beat a shrek for hire

The last of female chaos dwarf

This post was last modified: 07-14-2008 08:08 PM by Kera foehunter.

07-14-2008 08:07 PM
Captain Crayon
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can\\\'t decide.Captain Crayon 07-14-2008

Kera foehunter Wrote:
boar centaur!!!!!!!!!! part slayer  part pig!!!  and it even my faveroite slayer model .
an orange hair maniac slayer boar centaur. that beat a shrek for hire

Suddenly i have the overwhelming urge to repaint my dogs of war ogres green and put a grudge pony in the unit....

07-14-2008 08:35 PM
chrishorrorshow
Hobgoblin

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.chrishorrorshow 07-14-2008

minty:  pirates wouldn't use it, they're based on the Beasts of Chaos list.  

wallacer:  i think it's six of one, half dozen of the other in my list.  I've only got room for like 5 Boar Centaurs or 3 Ogres.  Or maybe it's 10 Boars.  I'll have to check later.  It's a very close count for wounds, unit str, attacks, and the only thing that tips it (kinda) in the Ogres' favor is causing fear and the Bull Charge.  But then, the Boars move faster....you can see why i'm stuck.

Also: hahaha, aw man.  Now it's RoboShrek. Dangit.

07-14-2008 09:54 PM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.Hashut's Blessing 07-15-2008

chrishorrorshow: You can always make both, surely? That way, you can choose if you'll need speed or fear+extra damaga (I know which I'd have over an extra 1") or whichever model you like more that day.

WarplockMonkey Wrote:

07-15-2008 12:28 AM
Ghrask Dragh
TeddyMadeMeDoIt...

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 855

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.Ghrask Dragh 07-15-2008

That is an amazing conversion, just to see them on the battlefield I would go with DoW Ogres!
If you haven't already and you like this sort of thing you should check out Grimstonefires Alternate Sourcebook this looks like something straight out of it Takes Hat off

My Chaos Dwarf Blog
07-15-2008 02:43 AM
Narflung
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 0

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.Narflung 07-15-2008

The 'ogre' looks great. Now, I'm not 100% on the rules for ogres these days, but they would be a suitable stand in for man-eaters IMO.

07-15-2008 03:11 AM
Captain Crayon
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.Captain Crayon 07-15-2008

Narflung Wrote:
The 'ogre' looks great. Now, I'm not 100% on the rules for ogres these days, but they would be a suitable stand in for man-eaters IMO.

Except that Man-eaters take up 2 rare slots as dogs of war...

I'd go with the iron-guts, Great weapons and heavy armour, and only 1 rare slot Happy

07-15-2008 04:39 AM
chrishorrorshow
Hobgoblin

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.chrishorrorshow 07-15-2008

Hashut's Blessing Wrote:
chrishorrorshow: You can always make both, surely? That way, you can choose if you'll need speed or fear+extra damaga (I know which I'd have over an extra 1") or whichever model you like more that day.

This is very true, and probably what i will wind up having to do, since i like both of these ideas so much.  Now, all i have to do is overcome the fact that i am the slowest painter in the universe and i will be set.

07-15-2008 09:53 AM
Merchant
Bull Centaur Hero

Slaves: 5

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.Merchant 07-15-2008

- I'm not sure about using Bullies, since the lack of special rules is what makes me keep them on the sideline - so in my oppinion I'll take Ogres in my army.

- However about the figures themself, I like the idea - but as many have said before, is it too steampunk-ish and not Ogre-ish enough.

Cheers Mate - Keep it the great ideas Happy Cheers!

Blasting Zombies since 1987!
When the traitor's hand strikes, it strikes with the strength of a legion.
07-15-2008 11:41 AM
clam
Slave to Darkness

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 1264
Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.clam 07-15-2008

Can't really help you choose. But I would really like to see that Ogre finished - so my advice would be: choose the 'Ogre-path'.

Btw: It has some resemblance with GeOrc's fantastic Battlerager which is based on the Mega armoured Nob. Is that the inspiration for this?

Clam's Coloured Classic Collection

Follow Clamshells on Facebook

This post was last modified: 07-31-2008 06:32 AM by clam.

07-15-2008 04:43 PM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

RE: Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?  I can't decide.Hashut's Blessing 07-15-2008

If you're a slow painter, make two more "ogres" for now, then you can paint them one at a time. After that, make some more bull centaurs and or "ogres". Basically, have the minimum unit size for now. Also, oogres can have smaller unit sizes, so you should be able to paint them more quickly (the larger surface areas mean it shouldn't take much extra time with highlights etc).

WarplockMonkey Wrote:

07-15-2008 06:50 PM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Boar Centaurs ideas Chico 2 1,450 07-23-2012 02:21 PM
Last Post: Chico
  Kerbak´s Bull (or boar) Centaurs conversion kerbak 23 10,261 05-20-2009 10:51 AM
Last Post: kerbak
  Bull Centaurs from Dragon Ogres? Ishkur Cinderhat 15 7,647 01-27-2008 05:36 AM
Last Post: thomson

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites