Post Reply  Post Thread 
Paint brushes do you go thew a lot
Author MessagePaint brushes do you go thew a lot
Kera foehunter
Zharr Nauggund Alpha Female

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 153
Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
Paint brushes do you go thew a lotKera foehunter 11-15-2008

do you go thew a bunch of paint brushes ?
or do you have one for a long time ?

The last of female chaos dwarf
11-15-2008 03:22 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Viskar Zhragoth
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 0

RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotViskar Zhragoth 11-15-2008

I tend to have my a very long time. There are steps you can do to rpolong the brush life.....

Never get paint into the top 1/3 of the bristles near the metal. Never stick them brush down in a cup....

But the best trick I have learned is to use liquid hand soap to clean your brushes. Then whne you have cleaned them you can coat the brush in liquid soap. It will dry with a good crisp point. the bristle will feel hard....then when it is time to use them again, just use water to clean out the soap residue....

You can also do that trick with bar soap, just cut a v-like depression in the bar soap about the width of your biggest brush, then you can "roll" the brush in that v-cut until you have coated the bristle with soap.....

By the way, I believe most brushes you buy have had some form of soap or chemical that does this when they ship...

"You have been chosen to be embraced by Hashut."

2009 Resolution - Paint 1000 models this year!
Painted so far : 28    01/07/2009
11-15-2008 05:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GRNDL
The Last Word of Hashut and Mediocrity

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 158
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotGRNDL 11-15-2008

As Viskar says, proper brush care helps with the life of a brush a lot. A tip I picked up from my painting teacher in college is that when you are done painting with your brush for the day and washed it up in water, stick it in your mouth and roll it across your tongue, making sure that its heavily laden with spit. This action should make the tip pointed. When the spit dries it will form a protective layer and help keep the tip pointed until its dipped in water again.

Another thing is the quality of the brushes. Artificial or cheap brush hair will fray or get bent easily and the brush won't last very long. If you want a brush that will keep for a very long time, try golden sable brushes. They can be expensive - about $10-20 Cdn but if treated well, will keep a point for many years.

Another thing, make sure you use the brushes for the tasks they were intended. Don't use a detail brush for drybrushing, for example. I find its best to "sacrifice" a brush for drybrushing, in order to save the others for the decent work.

Takes Hat off GRNDL's CD Army Blog  

11-15-2008 07:38 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kera foehunter

Best Attitude - 2007 Best Attitude - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Best Attitude - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotKera foehunter 11-15-2008

well i found out you get what you pay for !
but some time i cheet and get cheep one
but i have some sable i brough at a artest shop and i had them a yera that good for me Kera the brush distroyer!
ps i do wash and clean them

11-15-2008 07:58 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1312
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotcornixt 11-15-2008

I had a standard and fine detail brush (red handles) from GW that lasted for years.  The standard brush was so good that i used to do 75% of my fine detail painting with it, and it did all my undercoating.  When they eventually died I got a couple of replacements grom GW, but they had changed design (blue handles).  After that I would go through them really quickly, even though they cost more. I won't get any more from GW until they change them from the poor quality.

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
11-15-2008 08:41 PM
Kera foehunter

RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotKera foehunter 11-16-2008

well i had a brush from reaper it was a good brush too
but anymore im like you cornixt
i stay away from the company that sell figures brushes

11-16-2008 06:19 AM
GRNDL
The Last Word of Hashut and Mediocrity

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 158
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotGRNDL 11-16-2008

@Cornixt

Personally, I've never bought a good brush (or for that matter, a modelling tool) from GW - its all crappy stuff aimed at someone who doesn't know what a good brush is, unfortunately. The only brushes I buy from GW nowadays are the "large detail brush" and "tank" brush. The detail brush I end up cutting the tip off and using them for drybrushing, which they are good at -  they put up with a lot of abuse.

My money goes to makers like Grumbacher and Windsor & Newton. The best brushes I've used for mini painting are the (now no longer manufactured I fear) Windsor & Newton "Miniature series" which were designed specifically for figurine painting. While I don't think they make that line anymore, there is a line of brushes very similar to them called "Series 7".  They are made from Kolinsky Sable are kind of expensive, but IMHO, worth every penny.

Takes Hat off GRNDL's CD Army Blog  

11-16-2008 12:20 PM
Viskar Zhragoth
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 1

RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotViskar Zhragoth 11-16-2008

The best brush I have ever had was the starter brush that they used to put in the old paint sets. For a long time it was the only way to get it but it was awesome.....why I bought extra paint sets before they switched.

But Windsor & Newton's are good.....With series 7 being the best right now.....so agreed.

By the way, Windsor & Newton supplied the old Citadel brushes (red) befrore they went to the blue ones..... A big mistake in my book.

"You have been chosen to be embraced by Hashut."

2009 Resolution - Paint 1000 models this year!
Painted so far : 28    01/07/2009
11-16-2008 01:22 PM
wallacer
Hashut's cow pimp

Group: Mods of Hashut
Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 1046
Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Wiki - Major Contributor Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS                               
RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotwallacer 11-17-2008

I tend to keep mine for a long time, although that's only because i'm cheap, not because I think it's a good idea or anything.

Army pics: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...888&page=1
11-17-2008 03:43 PM
two_heads_talking
Lammasu

Market Rep: 2

RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lottwo_heads_talking 11-17-2008

Viskar Zhragoth Wrote:

By the way, Windsor & Newton supplied the old Citadel brushes (red) befrore they went to the blue ones..... A big mistake in my book.

windsor and newton stopped supplying GW with brushes right around 2000.. right about the time the brushes increased in cost.

As for brushes, I have alot. I don't go through them very fast as I use a system..

I have 2 brushes for blue colors and red colors (as those colors stain the bristles worse than any others.)  As they wear out, I use the brushes for less detailed work and finally, I use them as dry brushes..

I use a product available in the US at Michaels called pink soap http://www.houstonart.com/pinksoap.asp  this product not only cleans the bristles, it also conditions the bristles as well. And you can point the bristles when the soap is wet and while it drys, it holds the britles firm.. when you use it again, you just rinse out the soap. (in a pinch you can use this stuff on stains in your clothes and hands too) and it can be used to clean all sorts of paints from the bristles from acrylic to oil to whatever..

Never ever ever use hot water as it will melt or soften the glues that hold the bristles.

don't put your brushes bristle side down in a jar or other thing you keep water in.. it will bend the bristles. (mentioned before)

only   fill the bottom 2/3 of the bristle and keep paint from the barrel (mentioned before)

your brushes, like anything else will only last as long as you let them last.. if you go through them frequently, you aren't taking care of them properly. I hope this helps some.

11-17-2008 04:03 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1312
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotcornixt 11-17-2008

That explains my super brushes then. I'll be getting some Windsor & Newton next time!

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
11-17-2008 05:45 PM
Kera foehunter

RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotKera foehunter 11-17-2008

thanks about  the pink soap 2 heads!!!!

11-17-2008 06:20 PM
slev
Bull Centaur Lord

Slaves: 30

RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotslev 11-18-2008

I've had the same brushes for nine years now, and they're just fine. I paint a lot, but take care of my brushes as per above.

--
Slev
;-}

My Projects:
Warhammer Armies: Chaos Dwarfs
HeroQuest: Revised Edition
11-18-2008 05:01 AM
two_heads_talking
Lammasu

RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lottwo_heads_talking 11-18-2008

Kera foehunter Wrote:
thanks about  the pink soap 2 heads!!!!

no worries Kera. If it's not available where you live, you can order it online at quite a few places.. The link I provided is one place.  I'd do a google search to find which is cheapest on delivery costs..

Having worked for GW for nearly 7 years, I have alot of hobby knowledge hidden away in my brain. It just takes the right question to job it loose. Once it's loose, I love to share it and  help others. The hobby isn't any fun if you can't share it with someone else.

11-18-2008 09:45 AM
Kera foehunter

RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotKera foehunter 11-18-2008

lol 2heads !! i live at Michaels crafts shop !!!! i am a crafty type  young woman !!!!!!!!!
and  i like fake flowers!! and nick nacks!!and beads !!
so this made my day ! i could get it at michaels!!!

11-18-2008 06:12 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1216
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Paint brushes do you go thew a lotWillmark 11-18-2008

Mine generally tend last quite a while, with that being said I was most upset last year around this time when I inavertenly destroyed my primary brush. It became that way when I got superglue on it by mistake.

My Want List / My Trade List
11-18-2008 07:24 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A word about brushes... JMR 8 1,797 06-09-2014 04:06 PM
Last Post: torn

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites