Pages (23): « First < Previous 19 20 21 22 [23] Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept Sketches
Author MessageA Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept Sketches
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 380
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept SketchesAdmiral 11-10-2017

Neat, Dînadan! Made me think of Artigas' take on Blacklocks in Tolkien's Middle Earth:

Also, drew some columns:

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXIX - Deadline 27th of January ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
11-10-2017 05:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjub
Hat or Die!

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1310
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept Sketchestjub 11-24-2017

Two evil looking Dwarves I came across...Hashut!

Buy your 15mm "Tjublings" here!
Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

11-24-2017 01:43 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Slaves: 1407
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept SketchesAbecedar 11-24-2017

Sweet!

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
11-24-2017 02:46 AM
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 122
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept SketchesDînadan 11-28-2017

Not sure if these have come up before, but in case they haven’t, just stumbled across this gallery on DA:

https://knightinflames.deviantart.com/ga...arfs-WH-FB

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

11-28-2017 11:29 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 380
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept SketchesAdmiral 12-15-2017

The highly talented Raul Gomes (t5p1ny) is a CDO member, see this thread. Happy

Added all the Artisan's Contest XXIII entries to the first page compilation. Every artist is invited to post their image here as well, and elaborate on it if they wish.

As for mine, it's based upon a Babylonian tower but with sloping sides (slight lightning bolt-resemblance). Equipped with swivel guns and a movable signal mirror with brazier on top for relaying semaphore messages to neighbouring watchtowers and mechanized war caravans in the surroundings. Armoured door requires a ladder to reach from the ground, or something high such as an Iron Daemon train stopping by. It's just a simple flat-from-the-side view, no perspective involved. If I were to redo it, I'd add some riveted iron bands with larger spikes to its corners and flat wall sides to up the Chaotic impression:

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXIX - Deadline 27th of January ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 06:51 AM by Admiral.

12-15-2017 06:46 AM
Dînadan

Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept SketchesDînadan 12-15-2017

Here’s my entry for Artisan’s XXIII:

As I mentioned in the comp announcement thread, I don’t feel like it adequately conveys the various features I envisioned for it, but I didn’t have the energy to do proper schematics for it, but I do have a couple of rough sketches I did at the time which I can post now with annotations to explain things:

The idea is that the tower is built around machinery for pumping magma which is used for several of its features.
1) the first feature is a signalling device.  This is a set of four twelves-sided blocks stacked atop one another (there is one set of blocks in each side of the tower), with a different symbol on each side of the block; see the third pic for a ‘list’ of the twelve symbols.  They’re controlled by levers on the level above; a signalman watches through binoculars, looking at the next tower ready to read their signals and/or relay signals back.  Idea is there’s a network of these towers throughout the Dark Lands.
2) the second feature is four lamasuu gargoyles (one per side).  If attackers are in danger of breaching a gate the defenders can open the flow and pour magma out onto them.
3) at the base of the steps and at each level on the steps there are vent that can vent flames out under the feet of any attackers that reach that point.

For non-magma based defences:
1) each level has a number of firing slots from which the defenders can fire on attackers.
2) inside instead of conventional floors there is a ‘chasm’.  Idea behind this is that if attackers breach the gates, they have to fight their way all the way down to the ground and then all the way back up, the intention being to allow the signalmen to keep working as long as possible.  The outer ‘rings’ have no wall/baulistrade along their chasm side whereas the inner ‘rings’ do, that way the defenders have cover while the attackers don’t.

12-15-2017 09:11 AM
Dînadan

RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept SketchesDînadan 12-17-2017

Another sketch I did the other day:

The Order of Things

The idea is it’s a monument/sculpture depicting the order of Chaos Dwarf society; at the top is Hashut, then the Sorcerers and Overlords, then the regular Dawi Zharr, then the hobgoblins and finally the slaves.

12-17-2017 03:24 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1196
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept SketchesWillmark 12-17-2017

tjub Wrote:
Two evil looking Dwarves I came across...Hashut!

Holy crap!!! This is epic!

My Want List / My Trade List
12-17-2017 03:40 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jackswift
Bull Centaur Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 2
Slaves: 550
Scribe's Contest Gold Golden Hat - Silver Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Veteran Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept SketchesJackswift 12-18-2017

The Wandering Tower of the Mad Inventor Kadzak Teg'melech

The last invention of the Mad Inventor Kadzak Teg'melech was a brilliant re-visualization of the common border watchtower.  Teg'melech envisioned a fortification that could patrol itself, carrying the border unit, and thereby providing much needed protection from the terrible threats that prowl the northern chaos wastes.  

The tower itself was a massive construction of stone and steel. The components magically congealed using lost and clever artifice so that it would not disintegrate under the jarring vibration of it's weighted, noisome, juddering steps.

The construct's engine was a bound K'daai of fearsome size who's living furnace provided unceasing power to the massive pistons and steam works driving the behemoth.

While a novel concept, the proof thereof was less than satisfactory. The poor souls doomed to be assigned to the tower were banged and bumped, and vibrated to jelly, a slow, painful, calamitous internal degeneration from the constant pounding of the machine's gait.

The result was that the tower became the most dreaded post in the entire waste, a slow sentence to guaranteed death or insanity.  Only the worst of criminals, slaves, and societal outcasts who simply failed too miserably and obviously in their machinations toward power, were assigned there as penance.  The culmination of the towers record was a fateful night wherein the towers overseer, his mind sundered into tortured shards from from 18 months of crushing tread... somehow managed to circumvent the safeguards on the infernal machine's engine.  The K'daai, ecstatic to retaliate against the pain of it's binding, blasted out in a superheated furnace of destruction. The tower's occupants were incinerated in place, and the flare was seen for miles around.  Alas, the towers construction was so meticulous that despite the breach, the core bindings remained in place, and the tower continued on; it's skillfully wrought machinery grinding endlessly across the blasted landscape.

It is said that there were many initial attempts to regain the tower, but the engine itself succumbed to madness and all who breached it's walls were destroyed.  The marvel itself has faded to mere legend, though travelers tales abound of strange and fearful encounters.   On certain nights, the light of the stars bleed down into the chaos below, and a giant walking tomb trundles with titanic crab-like steps, to and fro across the landscape, on it's doomed and ceaseless mission.

----------
Ahem... Run-on sentence much?  As the contest was announced I got the idea to make a walking or wandering tower even before I finished reading through the announcement.  Ideas for the fluff that ultimately ended up above were already popping into my head.  The initial sketch looked very close to the final:

The artwork itself is wax pencil ('prismacolor' brand which are common in the US) on 'Canson' paper (that is the brand again and there is probably another name for it that I cannot think of) which is basically like fine quality construction paper with texture on one side.  The texture can be used to bring out the detail.  I first laid out the core lines in a light grey and moved on from there:

Below is the artwork as posted to the contest:

I really struggled to get a good shot and much of the detail was lost trying to keep the color good across the image.  The below close-up shows some of the detail missing from the full shot.  The shot is kind of washed out, but it does show the detail and brick work better than the final:

Cheers,

This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 12:39 PM by Jackswift.

12-18-2017 01:14 AM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1196
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept SketchesWillmark 12-28-2017

Now that is certainly interesting.

This will sound weird but the part I like this most? The lava! It flows really well.

My Want List / My Trade List
12-28-2017 07:59 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheHoodedMan
The Black Scourge

Slaves: 302
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Dark Apostle - Bronze Best General - 2015 Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept SketchesTheHoodedMan 12-28-2017

That`s really cool !
Did you try to scan the image? Maybe this isn`t perfect, too, but the lighting would be good distributed over the picture.
Takes Hat off

Please vote on the community awards 2016:
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=16881

The Prophets` bodyguard - Army blog
12-28-2017 08:33 AM
Carcearion
Daemon Prince of Hashut

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 191
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help Photobucket Migration Scribe's Contest Silver                               
RE: A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Artwork & Concept SketchesCarcearion 12-28-2017

Willmark Wrote:
Now that is certainly interesting.

This will sound weird but the part I like this most? The lava! It flows really well.

Ooooh, you know now that you point it out it does have a really great sense of motion!

Really well done Takes Hat off

"It matters not that you failed to burn the world. What matters is that you lit a fire."
- Neherazsh the Flaming Bull

My Chaos Dwarf Name Generator
Army Blog: Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar
Short Story: To Carve One's Fate
My Shapeways Shop: Carcearion's Bit Forge - Evil Dwarf Bits For Sale!
12-28-2017 03:38 PM
Pages (23): « First < Previous 19 20 21 22 [23] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Have any concept sketches of CD warmachines ever been shown by FW? Admiral 1 320 07-24-2017 03:16 PM
Last Post: Grimstonefire
  A Compilation of Chaos Dwarf Runes Admiral 7 9,800 10-06-2015 07:07 PM
Last Post: Forgefire
  Compilation of Evil Dwarf Figs thread? Aman 6 2,574 05-26-2012 01:23 PM
Last Post: Aman
  Foundry Tomb Dwarfs (Chaos Dwarfs) - concept art clam 17 9,717 04-01-2012 12:35 PM
Last Post: Zanko
  Official Chaos Dwarf concept art Grimstonefire 0 2,024 09-29-2010 05:27 PM
Last Post: Grimstonefire

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites