Pages (10): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   Warhammer Quest and dreams of Hashut
Author MessageWarhammer Quest and dreams of Hashut
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1350
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutGrimstonefire 09-18-2018

This is truly incredible stuff.  Very impressive.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
09-18-2018 03:46 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1262
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutNicodemus 09-19-2018

Still working on the forge...

A little work on the bound daemon that will be held within the forge, surrounded by flames and skulls.

Filled in the cracked anvil with GS. I also added a couple of braces so that it looks like there has been an attempt to hold the anvil together. I also fixed that crooked tusk in the upper image after the pic was taken Wink

I don't do a lot of GS work because I usually have to use CA glue at some point in the process to attach things. This also makes me tend to avoid GS work at all these days as it's a huge hassle... most of you that have been around for a while know I've got an acquired hyper-sensitivity to CA, started about 11 years ago and has only amplified over time.

Worst event was about 9-10 years ago late at night when I hadn't used CA glue in about a year and didn't know it had gotten much more severe. After about 30 minutes I had trouble breathing. Within about 5-10 minutes my throat had started to close over and I collapsed on the basement floor. So ya, Major f***-ing hassle.

This also means when I do get geared up and bite the bullet to get out the respirator (can't do it when I have a beard as too much CA glue seeps in) I have to work through my backlong of things.

Some modified wheels for the lift (again, drawing lots of design style and inspiration from my ACXI entry).

So far that ACXI terrain piece has contributed to: anvil, daemonic weapon design, lift design, miniature dice, suit of armour, and a few different architectural designs.

The forge area is also getting crowded, despite already expanding the floor area once.

So I made what I hope is the final expansion with some scraps of foam

And after a little trimming.

Now it's a much better fit and there's just that little bit more room in the central area for models during play.

~N

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

09-19-2018 01:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 204

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutUther the unhinged 09-19-2018

Wow, just wow. This just gets better and bigger.

09-19-2018 03:12 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 337
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutAdmiral 09-20-2018

Incredible. Too bad about the problems with CA. But 5he overall design and detail level of the forge is astounding. Golden Demon level in the modelling department! One can look at it very long and just take in all details. Something to savour, maestro. Happy

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXXI - Deadline 16th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
09-20-2018 04:09 AM
Nicodemus

Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutNicodemus 09-21-2018

I’m really glad you all are enjoying the updates, and hopefully they’ll serve as inspiration for other’s creations as well.  Having been largely away from the hobby for the last couple of years I’ve had lots of time to look at my past creations and give lots of thought to larger projects that I would like to do. Definitely a lot of my older stuff suffered from the desire/necessity to cut corners and just get a piece finished. There’s a balance in there somewhere, but I decided if I was going to start making things again that I’d go more slowly and work on better builds, conversions and painting than I’d had before. While I haven’t done a lot of painting over the years I’m at least well positioned with all my unpainted models to practice!!  Takes Hat off

I’ve still be working on the forge for the last few nights but it’s now getting down to the fiddly bits that I knew were going to take up more time... like those damned sconces that I want to have over the lava pit. Why did I have to go with the design I chose?!? Way too tedious.  

I’m also struggling with the last couple of stair segments that go up to the main forge as I wanted these to be constructed pieces as opposed to cut out of foam.

We’re at the stage here now where the only things left to do are:
*One set of stairs that take up 1 tile or less and transition ~1” in height
*Lift platform & upper and lower gantry
*rail lines for the mining cart
*mining cart (based on my cart design I’ve used for ACXI as well as Gharzakh Goldgreed’s Ensorcelled Dawi Skruff Slaves
*lava touch-ups to blend in the surface irregularities
*extra skulls around the base of the bound daemon within the forge
*plaster & sanding
*wash and sealant
*prime parts & assemble
*final foam and plaster touch-ups around assembled plastic parts
*painting everything!!!

So like I say... nearly there!!
~N

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )

This post was last modified: 09-21-2018 04:14 AM by Nicodemus.

09-21-2018 03:42 AM
Nicodemus

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutNicodemus 09-23-2018

I've been thinking about including a mining cart in the project for a while and there's a nice nook that it seems like it would fit into nicely. So after considering it for over a month I finally decided to put it in.

I cut out a rectangle of foam, then applied the template shape for the tunnel opening to get the piece cut just right. After cutting the opening, so that only the angled section of the roof remains I glued it back in place. A bit of plaster and you'll never know it was cut separately.

I use a lot of paper templates (i.e. top left corner below and in the tunnel piece above). They're easy to quickly modify and I can add slips of paper back on with some tape if the size isn't exact, and then use that template to cut exactly the size of plastic I need.

With a bit of struggling I got the wall sconces built finally... lots of fiddly template pieces and I used corner angle pieces to hide the seams.

So now for the stairs that transition from the rock staircases up to the main forge - I've been avoiding these until the end as I'm starting this part already not sure I'm going to be happy with what I come up with.

I'm starting with the easier side, not quite done but it's a start to get the right shape. Next step (haha) will be to add more "Chaos" features

The harder side has a steeper transition and slightly less space at the level of the forge so I've got to get creative - which I'm really now feeling. After trying a bunch of shapes and templates I decided on a spiral staircase (ugh, not feeling this one at all)!

I started out with some bitz from a Daemon Prince, and Minotaur hands and head, as this portion is going to be a statue supporting the stairs.

Here's part way through showing the spiral staircase and rightly how the shape is going to come together. The top level platform for the stairs had to be cut to meet with the foam, which was tough as it's irregularly curved.  The spiral direction also needed to change part way down to meet back up with a spot models could approach from.

I needed something to decorate the top of the central post that the statue is holding, so I took a page from the army standard bearer's book and made an oversized standard to fill out the space (made from a toothpaste tube).

And here it is in place and assembled, along with the railings to match the other staircase.

Slightly different angle, showing off the face. He still needs some GS to hide some sins and to give him and the face on the standard some beard curls. Luckily he's a statue so he doesn't need to look like he's living.

~N

09-23-2018 02:23 PM
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutUther the unhinged 09-24-2018

Truly gorgeous. The cart is a great detail and the statue mad and cool. I am beginning to worry that you are mot going to be able to stop! Not that I want you to.

09-24-2018 01:42 AM
Nicodemus

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutNicodemus 10-02-2018

Where did we leave off? Ah yes, stairs and railings...

I closed in the smaller set of stairs, and then added some additional supports for the railings on the outside.

And then I used the same railing supports for the larger spiral stairs...

but opted to leave the stairs open and not closed in, although if they need more support for holding up models I'll probably have to hide the sins by closing it in as well Takes Hat off

Here's somebody that snuck his way into the post. He's for a campaign I'm working on - A black orc leader who is in charge of a group of marauding ogres. His unnatural size and chaos powers are derived from the pilfered chaos coronet that he wears... and to stop would-be hero-types from taking it he took the precaution of bolting it to his skull. dead

Parchments for the design drawings and plans kept at the forge, stamped with the seals of approval by the various guilds.

Here's the start of one of the mine carts

The cart on the left is from ACXI and served as my design template for the new one, although I modified the hook so that I can now make multiple copies and attach them to each other.

Now for covering up the gaps and imperfections. I also made sure I wiped down the Sharpie with rubbing alcohol first... having the Sharpie sit on the foam for a couple of months means not much is going to come off at this stage, sadly.  All the more season to cover it up with plaster and then a final coat or two of Pepto Bismol at the end before painting!

It's only the second pass so it's only going to look worse before it looks better! Haha

All of the various parts for the project besides the dungeon room itself (minus a couple of pipes). Oh my. This IS going to take a while... I'm going to need some small projects after this one!

~N

10-02-2018 03:22 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutAdmiral 10-02-2018

Insanely inspirational devotion to Hashut and the project, Nicodemus! This is a beauty and joy to behold. Great attention to details all over! For some reason my favourite touch in the latest updates may be the simply made seals of approval on parchments. Great idea!

Good luck paintin'! Pirate

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXXI - Deadline 16th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
10-02-2018 03:33 AM
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutUther the unhinged 10-02-2018

Absolutely fantastic. I love the railings (dawi zharr health and safety, who knew?). I too adore the parchments. How are they done?

10-02-2018 03:49 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1496
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutAbecedar 10-02-2018

Railings only give the slaves the illusion of safety.  Example - he merely slipped off the edge. or he was thrown over the railing

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
10-02-2018 07:25 PM
Nicodemus

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutNicodemus 10-03-2018

A small update on the to-do list... I crossed a few things out, but added a few as well Tongue
*two sets of stairs
*Lift platform upper and lower gantry (decided gantry isn't needed)
*parchment plans
*mining cart
*plaster & sanding underway
*wash and sealant
*prime parts, assemble, finalize wiring placement and elec. testing
*painting everything!!! dead

10-03-2018 02:57 AM
Nicodemus

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutNicodemus 10-12-2018

It has been slow going for the last little bit. Work has been keeping me busy and I've also been working on another hobby project that I've been putting off for more than 10 years (it's probably more like 12-13yrs now).

Here's a bit of a progress update:
*two sets of stairs
*parchment plans
*mining cart
*plaster & sanding underway
*wash and sealant
*painting everything!!!

Before disassembling the chimney I need reference photos or I'll never figure out where the pieces go!

After plastering and sanding I wiped down the base and central piece with isopropyl alcohol. Because the Sharpie sat for so long not much comes out.  After that I'm covering it with Pepto bismol, which dries somewhat clay-like.

Everything primed black (first pass).  Right after these parts dried I pinned the central piece on the bottom with plastic rods glued into the bottom and then pressed it down into the flat base along with hot glue.

There are a few gaps around the base so I filled these with plaster and smoothed them out with my finger.

Here's the blended seam covered in my base coat of black.

I've primed all of the core pieces like pipes and conduits, etc. The upper pic shows the pieces I still have to prime, which will get painted and go on toward the end.

~N

10-12-2018 02:18 AM
Nicodemus

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutNicodemus 10-16-2018

*painting everything!!!

Putting the wiring and battery supply into the base with its first heavy coat of dry brushing

I didn't quite have enough space to hide the battery pack fully within the base so I had to make a cover that's held in with plastic pins.

Knocking through for the final length of LEDs

Lighting demo and fresh lava pour. Not quite what I was going for, but it looks good enough. The lava also still needs some small touch-ups of yellow highlighting.

I'm keeping the top smokestack/rock formation separate so it can be removed for storage/transport

Next step, strange as it might sound is to start cutting into the piece again so that I can make out the delineations between tile sections. Once they're cut I'll have to apply more black into the recesses and dry brush over the edges again, but I've found it easier to do it at this stage in the past.  

No updates for a while as I'm out of town for the next 5 days for a work meeting.  Between this project and work I may be out of the running for the next GH dead

~N

10-16-2018 02:24 AM
Uther the unhinged
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutUther the unhinged 10-16-2018

That is just so cool.

10-16-2018 03:04 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutAdmiral 10-16-2018

Insanely cool. This is the work of a Chaos Dwarf!

This post was last modified: 10-16-2018 03:49 AM by Admiral.

10-16-2018 03:49 AM
Ghrask Dragh
TeddyMadeMeDoIt...

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 842

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutGhrask Dragh 10-16-2018

Phenomenal!

My Chaos Dwarf Blog
10-16-2018 09:06 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus

RE: Warhammer Quest and dreams of HashutNicodemus Today

Back at the forge... toiling endlessly for my Chaos Dwarf brethren -

More shading and drybrushing on the forge

You can also see in this image the grid layout that I cut into the base and stairs. All of my Warhammer Quest boards are 150% larger than their originals - so the 1" tiles (25.4 mm) become 1½" tiles (38.1 mm). I didn't cut the grid into the entire main floor area as I'm planning to cover much of it in plasticard tiles at the end.

A view of the back. While the battery pack cover protrudes suspiciously, at least it blends in for the most part.

This is the view of the unfinished back of the forge entrance, which completely dwarfs the regular Warhammer Quest doorways. I still need to paint up the Lammasu heads I cast up, which will go onto the doors.

View of the entrance from the front. Still lots left to do: shading, highlights on the carvings, flames for the sconces, etc.

The doors open up to roughly the width of 2 tiles (~ 3") which is the standard width of a Warhammer Quest corridor

And finally a closeup on the lower forge area, carvings, and lava pool.

Still lots left to do, including much of the small detail pieces like the bound daemon within the main forge, mine cart, sacrificed slaves, the Forge Master, lots of skulls, etc...

That's enough for now I think Takes Hat off
~N

Today 12:43 PM
Pages (10): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Warhammer Quest Silver Tower: Floors & Doors Nicodemus 22 4,788 09-13-2018 01:12 AM
Last Post: tjub

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites