5 Votes - 5 Average   Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [May 19 2019]
Author MessageNicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [May 19 2019]
Goltor Lintrepide
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 66
Golden Hat - Silver Photobucket Migration                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 13 2013]Goltor Lintrepide 08-13-2013

That's cool stuff sire!

Here's my army blog : http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12205
08-13-2013 09:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1559
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 13 2013]tjub 08-13-2013

Great to see you again, and a good looking train as well!

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

08-13-2013 10:14 AM
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1259
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 13 2013]Nicodemus 08-13-2013

Thanks for the compliments all. I'll continue... but not too quickly, lest my blog lose its title of 'Forge of Unfinished Business'!  Sadly, Willmark beat me to the punch creating a Chaos Dwarf airship (which I first alluded to back in October 2010). I've got a piles of bits and some drawings in my office that are more than 2 yrs old, but I haven't developed the picture enough in my head to dive in yet!

Soulassassin Wrote:
Do you get enough structural integrity from the foamboard? I find that the edges wear out quickly and that it is kind of hard to get metal models to stick to it properly.

I find that stuff isn't too bad actually, but there's a few things that I do to help it.  Firstly, there's a big difference in strength between the high and low density extruded polystyrene foamcore boards, the high density stuff is hard to cut through and dulls new Xacto blades quickly, but can take a lot of pressure and won't chip or tear very much at all during gaming use. Secondly, for the lower density stuff the smaller corner edges or protrusions usually get a thin coat of plaster to reinforce them. I used it on my Arcane Fulcrum and on a few other pieces, including a base/movement try for special unit I'm creating that I haven't shown on here yet. Lastly, because I prefer the lower density stuff and have stopped buying high density because it's so hard to cut, for metal miniatures I add some additional reinforcement to hold models in place.  Plastic models are easy, you just drill a hold into a foot and glue a plastic or brass rod in place and then stick it into the foam.  For the metal ones, particular big ones like a Bloodthirster, you need a good thick piece of brass rod glued into one or both feet (maybe ½" to 1" long). Then get a piece of plastic tubing with an length that matches the brass rod or is a little longer, and with an internal diameter that matches the diameter of the rod so that it just fits through with a little resistance, but not so that it's loose. You carefully excavate a hole for the plastic rod in the foam so that you have a snug fit for the plastic rod, then glue it in place with a hot glue gun so that the rod is flush with the surface of the foam. Once all the glue has set you just slide metal model and rod into the plastic slot and you have to worry about even big heavy pieces of metal tearing the foamcore.

~N

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

08-13-2013 12:56 PM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 742
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 13 2013]Hashut's Blessing 08-13-2013

Been waiting for thy glorious return and bountiful it has been!

Also, nice to read some science and understand what you're dealing with. Even better that it's helped you to have the hypotheses.

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

08-13-2013 05:50 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1715
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 13 2013]Abecedar 08-13-2013

As a sinus (hay-fever) sufferer I can sympathize with you a bit.  You will have to get a proper Chemical mask (they look like gas masks) with charcoal cartridges and wear it every time you glue.  And probably have your work on a tray and take it away from were you are working (living) to do the actual glueing.  Sounds like a pain in the arse..  but better than what you've been going through.

Oh and love your work.

Last Time(s) I Bled for my Hobby  =  Fri 13th March 2020
27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time(s) I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.

This post was last modified: 08-13-2013 11:58 PM by Abecedar.

08-13-2013 11:57 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 13 2013]tjub 08-14-2013

...and about the airships, Ive been thinking about one as well. So I guess we'll have ourselves an armsrace soon... Wink

08-14-2013 01:15 AM
Nicodemus

Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 13 2013]Nicodemus 08-14-2013

Abecedar Wrote:
As a sinus (hay-fever) sufferer I can sympathize with you a bit.  You will have to get a proper Chemical mask (they look like gas masks) with charcoal cartridges and wear it every time you glue.  And probably have your work on a tray and take it away from were you are working (living) to do the actual glueing.  Sounds like a pain in the arse..  but better than what you've been going through.

I have a respirator with charcoal cartridges and swap out the NIOSH P95 filters semi-regularly.  In one respect it's a good thing cyanoacrylate is so reactive as it doesn't persist in the air for very long and definitely can't pass unreacted through the filter/cartridge.  I only really have troubles if I miss cleaning up some glue on a surface or am doing a quick glue job on one of the girl's toys or something.

tjub Wrote:
...and about the airships, Ive been thinking about one as well. So I guess we'll have ourselves an armsrace soon...

Excellent!!  Well you know, GHXX is coming up Wink  LOL, I haven't been able to finish most of my projects for the GH/AC contests in the last year, there's no way I could finish an entire airship without taking a month-long vacation from work Tongue

~N

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )

08-14-2013 02:53 AM
Nicodemus

RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 13 2013]Nicodemus 08-16-2013

I decided I didn't like the wheel layout, as the length seems like it needs another set. So I decided to move the large Hellcannon wheels forward so they're directly connected to the engine and I had some extra FW CD wheels for the rear.  I realized I needed to adjust the clearance for the larger wheels though... and I always get a sick feeling when I have to start hacking into things mid-job.

Same on the other side (yes, the original piece is asymmetric, but I think that's OK in this case as it doesn't need to be mirrored).

A bit better fit... which will now need to be filled back in and rounded off.

FW Wheels in place.  Interestingly, the whole idea for the train came about over a year ago as I held these two plates from two Hellcannon models and imagined them both in exactly this position over the rear wheels of a CD train.

So here's all of the major parts laid out in roughly the positions they'll be in for the final piece.

No, that's not a mushroom. Just some clay holding up the canopy while I decide on height and placement.

And with the CD crew. I've updated one of them to use a Blood Bowl model that I have an extra of... as his hand looked like it was already in about the right position to be pulling the chain for the whistle Wink

K'daai Destroyer
And my Destroyer is still coming along, slowly but surely.

~N

08-16-2013 04:52 AM
French_noodle
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 19

RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 16 2013]French_noodle 08-17-2013

Your Iron Daemon is gonna look great, but the K'Daai is gonna look sick !

Can't wait to see that painted Happy

I'm French, so if i'm not understandable, just tell me and i will try to correct myself Wink
08-17-2013 02:53 PM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 16 2013]tjub 08-17-2013

Im envious, Ill need a train of my own soon... Happy

08-17-2013 05:18 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 16 2013]Yodrin 08-18-2013

Impressive train, and your Destroyer looks badass to!!!!

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

08-18-2013 11:54 AM
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 834
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 16 2013]Bloodbeard 08-18-2013

Well that model sure fits the name Destroyer. Perhaps you should also name him wish granter - in a few secunds alle the slayers wishes has come true.

Cool work.

08-18-2013 01:12 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nicodemus

RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 16 2013]Nicodemus 08-18-2013

The coal container at the back

with a step up for our short-legged friends. It took a few tries to get the canopy in the right spot and the supports into a decent shape so that they didn't totally bock the view of the crew within.

I also needed a connection for the pistons and went with these forgefiend segments... but that required removing two of the front wheels for it to fit. Oh well.

Everything so far - side view

front view

~N

08-18-2013 02:41 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 16 2013]Yodrin 08-18-2013

Damn thats a good wagon Wink

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

08-18-2013 05:16 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 591
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2017 Best Attitude - 2017 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 16 2013]Admiral 08-18-2013

This gets better and better.

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out! https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com

Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Proverbs. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules. Ninth Age concepts.
08-18-2013 07:51 PM
Bad Gram Northern
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 20

RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 16 2013]Bad Gram Northern 08-24-2013

hey some cool conversions here!

one question though: what's the source of these wheels?
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/images/photobucket/a>

alter ego of Commander Bernhardt
08-24-2013 03:35 PM
Goltor Lintrepide
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 66
Golden Hat - Silver Photobucket Migration                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 16 2013]Goltor Lintrepide 08-24-2013

You give me so much ideas! Thanks a lot!

Here's my army blog : http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=12205
08-24-2013 06:21 PM
Nicodemus

RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 16 2013]Nicodemus 08-25-2013

Thanks for the compliments guys!  Glad people are liking some of the creations.  Here's the last of the updates for a bit as I'm getting ready to head out of the country for work for few days.

Fixing up the space for the large wheels

The ensorcelled coal (plus some skulls for good measure)

Checking the size and final look

Smoothing out the canopy with lots of thin coatings of Green Stuff and wet sanding

Finally inspired to make the piston and wheel mechanism

Alternate view of the same

Everything in place checking the look and fit

I decided I wanted to keep at least one Hobgoblin hanging around... but he doesn't get the 'safe' jobs.  His hand looks totally messed up here and way too big, but I swear it doesn't look that bad IRL!

Unfortunately I screwed up the placement of one of the gear levers for the crew, and it's now in the way of the Big Hat model, so I'm going to have to relocate the lever so that the guy can be pulling the chain for the whistle.  Bah!

Still lots of conversion and GS work to do, mostly for the crew now, and a few odds and ends.

Enjoy!
~N

08-25-2013 02:44 AM
Topota
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 51

RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 25 2013]Topota 08-27-2013

woaaaaaaaa!!!! stunning work sir!!!!

08-27-2013 07:52 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1225
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business [Aug 25 2013]Willmark 08-27-2013

Woah that is pretty damn cool, great conversion work!

My Want List / My Trade List
08-27-2013 08:05 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Legion of Jaskorh [2019-09-13] Jasko 19 4,110 09-15-2019 07:46 AM
Last Post: Uther the unhinged

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites