Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult! [Bull Centaur]
Author MessageChe's Chaos Dwarf Cult! [Bull Centaur]
CheTralfara
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 21

Toungue  Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult! [Bull Centaur]CheTralfara 12-08-2009

So I've decided to restart my Army Blog since it's been untouched for so long and I've made several changes to my units, models, list, etc... Gotten rid of some things and replaced them with others.. Also made a lot of new progress!

I'm not going to go into the detailed fluff of this army right now but basically it is a roaming nomadic band of chaos dwarfs cultists that have left zharr nagrund and are roaming the dark lands to find the most heavily chaos drenched areas, and preform extremely disgusting dark rituals there.. that usually end in the enslavement of a massive greater daemon within some kind of twisted invention that will be used to take many lives or just blow things up for the cultists and slaves amusement (like daemon-bound fireworks!).

Here will be a running tally of my progress on various units... (this is not all the units I have started)

20 Chaos Dwarf Warriors 90% constructed and partially painted.
20 Hobgoblin Rabble 100% constructed and partially painted.
20 Hobgoblin Warriors Construction has begun! Several are built.
6 Hobgoblin Warrior Wolfriders 1 constructed! 5 more to go.

This is all I will reveal so far!

Now onto the first batch of pictures...

Here is my big pic dump of Hobgoblin progress! Most of these were made from the new skaven plastics... I posted a thread in the conversions section on how to make them!

20 Hobgoblin Rabble made from new GW Skaven Slaves (NOTE: My "rabble" are NOT made from the armoured "Clanrats" that come in the new box... They are made from the UN-armoured "Slaves" that come as 10 in the new clanrat box). For those who do not know, the new Skaven Clanrats box comes with 10 Skaven with armour (Clanrats), and 10 Skaven with NO armour and some even have chains/shackles! (obviously slaves)... It is literally broken into 1 sprue of 10 clanrats and 1 sprue of 10 slaves.

BTW I do make commissions if you really want them, and can pay for the time/extra work involved.

Notice in the next pics, that I put little Flagellant chains on some of them, and sculpted shackles. This was to make them look even more slave-like. The taskmaster has the key on his belt!!

Below is my first fully painted Hobgoblin Rabble slave. However, he is not properly based... I do not know the best type of colors to drybrush onto the base... Can someone help me to figure out the best technique for black ashy darklands bases? (I am not planning on using lava, and I SUCK at applying static grass... it always looks flat and clumpy, and doesn't stand upright).

Hobgoblin Taskmaster is below. He prods and pokes the rabble into battle (Yes I know they are supposed to be in the front like a champion, but during non-combat I will keep him in the back for looks purposes, but he will count as being in the front). He was made from one of the new Skaven Doomwheel crew (the one operating a cooling pump, on a platform in back of the wheel).

Hobgoblin Warriors: This is what I use the armoured Clanrat models for... They are represent Hobgoblin Warriors with LA + shields.  I used (only the thin) goblin heads instead of night gobbo heads. They are holding dwarf weaponry/shields. They are standing next to a rabble for size comparison.

Here is my first Hobgoblin Wolfrider Warrior... He is VERY different from my "wolfrider stikkas" (archers) and other hobgoblins, because he is very buff and tough (made from new marauder cavalry)... The warrior wolfriders are supposed to be a twisted experiment in eugenics (eugenics is very bad IRL! no joke) and daemon-binding to hobgoblins... The warriors AND the wolfs (new chaos hounds) have been mutated into nasty beastly creatures... The rules may be the same as usual hobbo wolfboyz, but they look extra intimidating!  The hound required A LOT of greenstuff to turn it into a ride-able ultra-wolf.  

MY CHAOS DWARFS!

This post was last modified: 01-18-2010 11:46 AM by CheTralfara.

12-08-2009 07:17 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1362
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]Grimstonefire 12-08-2009

Those are looking very nice, I'm seriously impressed.

I counted the unarmoured skaven bodies the other day from the pics in WD, but I've forgotten.  Are they split evenly?

In terms of basing, you could do this:

Paint most of the sand/lumps of basing material black.
Drybrush codex grey
Drybrush areas light grey.

Then paint some areas solid white
paint it yellow
paint some areas orange
drybrush red
carefully drybrush black, or just paint the biggest lumps.

This gives an effect sort of like burning embers, so your troops aren't being cooked alive by lava.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 12-08-2009 08:06 AM by Grimstonefire.

12-08-2009 08:05 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CheTralfara
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]CheTralfara 12-08-2009

Thanks! It's split pretty even. Some of the skaven on the armoured sprue have barely any armour and could pass for slaves, but if you search them over you can tell they have at least a little bit of armour in one spot.... as opposed to the slave sprue where they have NONE, just robes.

Yep, split right down the middle, just as if it was intended to be 10 slaves and 10 clanrats... I have no idea why they complicated things and simply called them all clanrats, leaving people to figure it out for themselves...

Now i bet we'll see all these skaven slaves with armour, or skaven clanrats with none! just robes!

Definitely gonna try your basing technique... do you have any pics where the burning embers effect has been utilized the way you described?

What ever happened to your hobbos made from ghouls!? I loved where that was going... Do you still have them?

MY CHAOS DWARFS!

This post was last modified: 12-08-2009 08:20 AM by CheTralfara.

12-08-2009 08:18 AM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Group: Hashut's Admin
Slaves: 1337
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]cornixt 12-08-2009

Those conversions look great! Looks like there isn't the problem of extra large rat feet on the new models then.

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.
There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

12-08-2009 09:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]Grimstonefire 12-08-2009

I do, I was cleaning up more legs and arms the other day.  Just need to make some torsos.

You can see the base effect on the front models here

12-08-2009 09:21 AM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1559
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]tjub 12-08-2009

I really like you hobgoblins on foot, once done with my new CD warriors Ill have to try a unit of these... Happy

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

12-08-2009 09:23 AM
CheTralfara
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]CheTralfara 12-08-2009

Servius the rat feet are the perfect size... If you don't like them you could easily sculpt little booties like I am doing for some of my plaguemonks turned sneekie gitz... but the feet are just right for hobbos, and have the hobgoblin spiked toenails... but the only strange thing is that rat feet tend to have a longer middle toe... however if you look closely, I bury the ends of the toenails and some of the foot in sand... so you can't even tell. they look perfectly right for a hobgob in the final version.

I think I might make the wolfrider a little more hunched...

MY CHAOS DWARFS!
12-08-2009 10:13 AM
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 742
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]Hashut's Blessing 12-08-2009

You were mentioning in another thread about making hobgoblins from the new Skaven models and I, admittedly, was somewhat sceptical. I wasn't sure that it was going to work. Well, you've proved me wrong and I'm greatful (grateful? Buggery, I can't remember the spelling. Tongue ).

They look very good. One question though: where abouts do the tails come off from the Skaven models and are they difficult to remove and hide where it was?

In respects to the feet, they look perfect, as long as you make sure that most of their toes are covered by the basing, otherwise they look too long and like an animals foot. I'm still trying to decide about the sabbatons of the armoured clanrat bodies, but I can always GS boots on if need be Big Grin

Excellent conception and very good execution. Once I've made my Chaos Dwarf warriors (maybe some more than I currently have), I may steal this idea. Good job.

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

12-08-2009 10:37 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Something else I noticed, you may want to do a few with their heads looking sideways on the next batch.  Or possibly just position them on the base so they're pointing in different directions.

Have some with the weapons held over the head.  All adds variety.

This post was last modified: 12-08-2009 10:42 AM by Grimstonefire.

12-08-2009 10:42 AM
CheTralfara
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

I agree that the next batch should have some heads tilted to the sides, but I basically wanted them to look like they were just about to engage into combat and had their sights on the enemy...

also, I think one of them has his weapon above the head... but mostly I wanted to have a sneaky little backstabber look.. notice I armed them almost entirely with knives... 2 of them have swords (because I ran out of knives), but the rest ALL have sneaky little daggers or long stabby sticks.

The armoured hobs don't look so great in the photos right now, but I think you will like them better at different angles and once they get paint on them and rank up!

So next I will show you the 90% completed (being modeled) chaos dwarfs... All I need is to finish the standard bearer and 1 or 2 more beards.

I'm thinking about going the decal root with the shields... Unless I am better at my freehand painting than i realize (haven't even tried yet). The shield you see in my avatar was greenstuffed, but I have had trouble making the same quality of skull on all the shields.

MY CHAOS DWARFS!
12-08-2009 11:39 AM
Hazkar
Great Taurus

Slaves: 148

RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]Hazkar 12-08-2009

wow,the taskmaster looks awesome
and the wolfrider is awesome,too
keep up the good work

12-08-2009 01:03 PM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 714
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]Skink 12-08-2009

Nice Hobbos!!! I'll definetely have to try out the clanrat sprue!!!

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!
12-08-2009 02:32 PM
Bassman
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 640
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]Bassman 12-08-2009

Great hobgoblins!
Some of the best ever seen.
I'm in love with the pack master!

Alan the evil Wrote:
bassman spoke... and I do agree!!

Are you interested in the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci? Check here: https://milanoarte.net/en/portfolio/the-...nci-milan/

Fancy an unique sculpted miniature or a good paint job?

This is my professional service: https://www.facebook.com/BluebeardsForge

12-08-2009 03:40 PM
nitroglysarine
Burninating the Countryside

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 200
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]nitroglysarine 12-08-2009

i like the beefed up hobgoblins, whey have definatly eatern their greens!

12-08-2009 04:05 PM
Warhammerman
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 43

RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]Warhammerman 12-08-2009

Very nice.  I like the rabble alot.

I can take on 37 five year olds in a fight.  

I can take on 47 ninety year olds in a fight.  

So bring it on!!!  Happy
12-08-2009 04:50 PM
Border Reiver
Lammasu

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 64
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]Border Reiver 12-08-2009

I'm stealing your idea for hobgoblin warriors - so yes, I like what you've done.

Questions, comments, criticisms, bitches, complaints, rude gestures and/or remarks.
12-08-2009 05:10 PM
black hammer
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 27

RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]black hammer 12-08-2009

Those are the coolest clanrat conversions ever!  The armoured ones are especiallly cool.  I think that the wolfriders legs are a bit large though.

12-08-2009 11:26 PM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 714
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]Skink 12-09-2009

About the bases... Are you sure that you want to use just "dark sand"??? I think that this will dull the models quite a lot. If you don't want to paint lava & you want to keep the Darklands theme I suggest you to give a look at Bassman's models. He uses rocks and some bits like spear tips. I think that they are really good. Or maybe you can copy Necron's bases: add crystals to your models (consider that crystals are usually found in a volcano's chimney so this actually suits background).

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!
12-09-2009 03:07 PM
CheTralfara
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]CheTralfara 12-09-2009

Yeah, I may switch out the legs for wolfrider goblin legs... but I may use these kinds for a  hobgob hero.

OK, I'll try and add some larger stones to the bases... I was thinking I'll probably use the burning cinder Idea.

Could someone explain to me how to use Static Grass and get it to stay up without clumping and looking like matted flat clumps? (without buying one of those "static wand" gizmos)

because I'd like to apply patches of scorched grass...

MY CHAOS DWARFS!

This post was last modified: 12-09-2009 08:23 PM by CheTralfara.

12-09-2009 08:21 PM
Border Reiver
Lammasu

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 64
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Che's Chaos Dwarf Cult Revisted! [Hobbos from New Clanrats]Border Reiver 12-09-2009

CheTralfara Wrote:
Yeah, I may switch out the legs for wolfrider goblin legs... but I may use these kinds for a  hobgob hero.

OK, I'll try and add some larger stones to the bases... I was thinking I'll probably use the burning cinder Idea.

Could someone explain to me how to use Static Grass and get it to stay up without clumping and looking like matted flat clumps? (without buying one of those "static wand" gizmos)

because I'd like to apply patches of scorched grass...

From my old book on "Making Dioramas", put down some white glue and sprinkle the static grass on top.  Then gently blow over the base - this will cause the grass to stand up - let set for several hours then spray varnish.

Questions, comments, criticisms, bitches, complaints, rude gestures and/or remarks.
12-09-2009 09:27 PM
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Flagg Four Legs and his Mutated Marauders Chaos Dwarf Boar Centaur Unit Completed AtomTaylor 16 2,780 09-03-2017 06:55 PM
Last Post: AtomTaylor
  New LoA player and his blog [4/1/13: Bull Centaur Conversion] sheogorath 32 14,291 12-02-2013 06:15 AM
Last Post: Sticklander
  My Bull Centaur Taur'ruk tvandyke 18 8,949 05-18-2013 06:51 PM
Last Post: The Besieger
  Thomasthefinch's Chaos Dwarfs.  NOW with added Bull Centaur. thomasthefinch 18 12,744 06-16-2012 08:35 AM
Last Post: Kera foehunter
  Bull Centaur conversion. Vogon 9 4,901 09-28-2011 11:44 AM
Last Post: Zanko

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites