Post Reply  Post Thread 
My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!
Author MessageMy Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!
Tarrakk Blackhand
Tarrakk Blackhand LIVES!!!

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 635
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!Tarrakk Blackhand 01-05-2010

Hi everyone!

I have recently been busy building models for a Star Trek display at the local library here in High River, Alberta, Canada.

Have a look!

Here's the start of my Star Trek display at the High River Public Library. The display will run from January 4th 2010 until February 15, 2010.

This picture shows the preliminary set ups of the windows. I thought I brought enough kits to fill the top shelf, but I soon found out I needed more.  

These windows are double shelved but measure 8ft long. Therefore 16ft worth of stuff can fit in them. Wish I had some of these at home!

This picture shows my little poster. It reads :

Join the High River Star Trek Experience!

Read about the adventures in the STAR TREK novels at the library and then create your own stories when you build the Star Trek model kits at Monster Hobbies!

All the model kits in this display were built by Trevor Ursulescu, owner of Monster Hobbies.

SHOW US WHAT YOU KAHN BUILD!

Visit the store Monday - Saturday 9-6
127 3rd Ave. SW
High River, Alberta  
(403) 652-5019

I wrote this before I was informed that the Library only has 4 Star Trek books on hand and their only 1 novel was floating around somewhere in transit between two libraries. In the end, it wasn't much of a showing for the books. I printed three of these sheets...one red, one yellow and one blue.

When I discovered that my TOS display wasn't enough to fill the showcase, I decided to go home and get all my TMP - ST III models and fill the top portion of the case. I also brought my 1970's issue phaser toy down to put beside the U.S.S. REPUBLIC model.

This also allowed me to change the books around so that the more "Futuristic" ST series wouldn't be in the same space as the TOS stuff. That also allowed me to bring a few pages from the FJ Tech manual down there to show.

The library was specific in only allowing library books to be on display, so I couldn't bring my own...but 1 page from the book is different. Therefore I brought a page showing the FJ Destroyer and the Tricorder.

I also got to make a few little cards to put in front of the model kits describing what they were.

Here's the new display showing the TOS models and book along the bottom shelf, right where the best kits can be seen by kids.

If you look on the top shelf you will find a book on how to make kids costumes from ST:TMP. The book is from October 1979 and is a book for borrowing.  

Another view of the top shelf.

Beside the costume book is the original Vulcan Shuttle kit and beside that is the Bandai Refit Enterprise kit with fibre optics.  The AMT EXCELSIOR is there too.

Here's the other side of the top shelf.

The TMP Klingon and a TMP style Destroyer are directly above the TOS Klingon and Destroyer models. I did this to show the upgrades of the two ships.

Also, the ST TNG book and Deep Space Nine book are there as well.

As I was leaving the library after I finished with the window, I overheard a few teenage girls talking about the window. They semed to like what they saw and they knew it was Star Trek. They were talking about the Spock kit. It was good.

Hopefully this display will help with some publicity. I'm even talking about what to display for the next time!

Hope you local guys can check this out sometime soon! :wave:

Amaze your friends when you post your Chaos Dwarf model pictures on our forum at http://www.monster-hobbies.com today!
01-05-2010 07:35 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 80
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2007 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!Ishkur Cinderhat 01-06-2010

Aww very nice collection. Happy
The TMP Klingon Destroyer (K't'inga Class, IIRC) was one of my favourite models ever. Even though I painted it in a horrible olive colour, back when I was a little beardling, like 15 years ago. ^^

01-06-2010 06:31 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Servius
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 186
Artisan's Contest - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!Servius 01-06-2010

I love that Destroyer Design... can you still find AMT/ERTL models in your area... I have been looking for the defiant one for years locally and cant ever catch a break.

01-06-2010 07:07 AM
Bassman
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 474
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!Bassman 01-06-2010

Nice stuff. I like the display... but why in a Star Trek display in a library? Aaaaaaah, North Americans......  ;D

Alan the evil Wrote:
bassman spoke... and I do agree!!

Are you interested in the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci? Check here: http://www.milanoarte.net/news/reserve-y...ast-supper

Bored of slashing your slaves? Take a vacation in Milan:
http://www.milantour.net

This post was last modified: 01-06-2010 07:38 AM by Bassman.

01-06-2010 07:38 AM
Warhammerman
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 43

RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!Warhammerman 01-06-2010

Wow that is cool.  I wish they had a Star Trek display in my library and more GOOD books for that matter.

I can take on 37 five year olds in a fight.  

I can take on 47 ninety year olds in a fight.  

So bring it on!!!  Happy
01-06-2010 01:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tarrakk Blackhand

Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!Tarrakk Blackhand 01-06-2010

@ Servius - I have a few of the model kits avalible in my hobby store. AMT is re-releasing a lot of them, including MR. Spock. Actually, it's the first time he's been out in 40 years.

@ Bassman - I was the one that suggested a Star Trek display and the head librarian didn't say "No", so all is good! Big Grin Just wish they had more Star Trek books.

For the next display, I am going to build a whole bunch of Dinosaur models. There should be more books on that.

Amaze your friends when you post your Chaos Dwarf model pictures on our forum at http://www.monster-hobbies.com today!
01-06-2010 06:05 PM
snowblizz
Chaos Dwarf Comedian

Slaves: 668

RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!snowblizz 01-07-2010

Tarrakk Blackhand Wrote:
For the next display, I am going to build a whole bunch of Dinosaur models. There should be more books on that.

Yes. Yes there should. I've been ][ this close to becoming a paleo.. palento... dinosaur guy. If I only could have spelled it right.

At beta: WarFoundry armylist application (cross-platform, multi-system and open source)
WarFoundry datafile group (Big Hattiest datafile group in the world)
01-07-2010 07:45 AM
Bassman
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 474
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!Bassman 01-07-2010

Tarrakk Blackhand Wrote:

Great idea, my 3 years old nephew would be happy. Last time I met him we played all day long, I screamed "Dino" followed by a big roar and posing like a dinosaur! He screamed at me.... so funny! lol He likes dinosaurs, indeed. Takes Hat off

Alan the evil Wrote:
bassman spoke... and I do agree!!

Are you interested in the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci? Check here: http://www.milanoarte.net/news/reserve-y...ast-supper

Bored of slashing your slaves? Take a vacation in Milan:
http://www.milantour.net

01-07-2010 08:36 AM
Tarrakk Blackhand

Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!Tarrakk Blackhand 01-07-2010

All the dino models are snap-kits, so I should be able to do a lot of them in a short period of time.

01-07-2010 01:44 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 23
Slaves: 1127
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012                               
RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!Willmark 01-10-2010

Tarrakk- Awesome Dude!

Willmark's Dark Side Blog
My Western RPG- Hurled into Eternity
My Want List / My Trade List

01-10-2010 11:24 AM
speedygogo
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Slaves: 40
Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!speedygogo 01-22-2010

Cheers to the finest public library display ever!

01-22-2010 05:40 AM
Loki
Wearer of the Big Hat

Slaves: 269
Best Attitude - 2009 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!Loki 01-22-2010

Great models love the old D7 class Happy

Fequiil Said
------------------------------------------------
yeah, everybody can just say that, but when loki speaks...
everything is different.Wink

01-22-2010 05:54 AM
nitroglysarine
Burninating the Countryside

Slaves: 200
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: My Star Trek Model Kits @ the Library!nitroglysarine 01-23-2010

pretty models, i'm only sad not to see may favourite; the defient class ship Big Grin

01-23-2010 06:40 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How many black library books do you own? Grimstonefire 18 1,123 01-08-2013 08:13 AM
Last Post: Yodrin
  Anyone have a copy of Star Trek Armada 1 or 2? Swissdictator 0 360 06-23-2011 09:19 PM
Last Post: Swissdictator
  My RMMC award winning Silly Surfer kits (2) Tarrakk Blackhand 4 1,388 06-04-2010 11:35 AM
Last Post: Tarrakk Blackhand
  Who's actually seen the new Trek movie? Swissdictator 38 4,448 09-13-2009 10:30 AM
Last Post: cornixt

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites