Pages (7): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
[ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]
Author Message[ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]
m3lvin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 306
Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
[ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]m3lvin 03-01-2010

Everyone knows that the steel legions was designed to be "WW2 german paratrooper" look-a-likes,
just like the valhallans are heavy influenced by WW2 russians, Catachans by american vietnam soldiers/rambo,
death korps by WW1 germans, Tallarns by middle eastern soldiers (the magasines on their lasguns are curved FFS, ak47-style Big Grin)
and so on,
Therefore, I decided to paint them to look like nazis to make everything even more obvious.
I'm no more nazi than someone playing the axis side on call of duty, or thinking that der untergang
is a good film.
One thing I can give them though, is that they had good taste when it comes to dressing (uniform, colours, weapon design etc.)
and that's probably why I'm drawn to the steel legions anyway.

The work for Golden Hat XI is finally over, and I have a weeks holiday from school! wonderful Happy
With all this spare time on my hands I thought about getting somewhere with my long time stalled
steel legion project.
I will give them a week of work during the holidays, before I go back to my Chaos Dwarfs again.

----

To give you the most satisfying experience, I take you back to the very beginning of this project:

The first imp models I bought was 5 snipers, unaware of what it would escalate to.
Firstly they were meant to be played in a modified necromunda game my friend was working on.
Since I had seen "behind enemy lines" too many times, my choice was obvious Big Grin

It's from start 2 cadian snipers and 3 catachan snipers, with some minor conversions.
This was about 2 years ago, and I was pretty much new to greenstuff. Happy
The second sniper was brutally shaven with a modelknife, and was converted to have my (by that time)
current hairstyle, representing me in the game Big Grin.

Then, I for some reason got tempted to start collecting imps, probably due to the discovery of the totally awesome
Death Korps of kreig models. Although being a poor student, they were merly dreams Unsure
Second choice was Steel legion, and fortunatly my friend had a force he'd gotten bored of long time ago.
Honestly I can say now that I've been working with my steel legion for some time, that I find them atleast or even
more appealing than the Death Korps.

The models I bought was about 3 infantry squads, in decent/good shape, for about 55 dollars.
I thought it was pretty decent price, since they're otherwise pretty expensive and hard to find.
(a new infantry squad costs about 40+ dollars here.)

My thought was first to make a ~400 pts army of them, for 40k in 40 minutes battles.
But, when one of my other friends mentioned he had some old steel legions for sale,
I got a bit greedy Tongue.

His force was a bit larger then the one I already had, consisting of the same amount of infantry squads,
+ 10 stormtroopers and a heavy bolter.

The conditions on these models was much worse, they had been painted several times, and even if it appeared that
someone had tried to clean them, I had to re-do it.

He wanted 70 dollars for these, which I thought was pretty much (considering all the work I would have to put
down on them to get them back to decent quality.) He was also aware of this, and was nice enough to include
some nice tank and tyranid bitz in the deal. I couldn't resist Happy

This was what I had when I combined the two forces, the empty bases was models that I hadn't bought yet,
but which I needed to complete the units.

Here are some examples of the varied shapes the models were in.
The missile model in the middle was covered in white paint and superglue,
leaving almost no details left. Unsure
The former owner had used motor oil, trying to clean them up.
Although, this only resulted in the paint being left in the recesses, being rubbery,
and almost impossible to remove.
I needed something much stronger! Sick

Below are all the models I cleaned. I had to brush them one by one with a toothbrush,
after I dipped them in a yar with some dangerous goo. (hey! it worked! Tongue Wink)

Since I played a Steel legion army, I thought it would be wrong to have some stormtroopers without
gasmask/respirator/whatever. IMO they look pretty silly when they show their faces.

Since I was new to greenstuff at that time, my original idea was to make greenstuff molds on the masks and
glue them into place, however, the result was not very satisfying:

I then made the for that time drastic decision to sculpt them myself, and I was glad I did so.
The result was way much better, and the effort was smaller!

I was very satisfied with the result.

two stormtroopers guarding a portable missile launching device (read objective marker Big Grin)
It's made of sprues, tank accessory bits and a pen.

A problem that occured was that when collecting a large army with a small range of different models,
many models look the same, which is boring. Metal miniatures are not the easiest models to convert,
but I put som effort in making small changes, which later makes a big difference.

Here were conversion sketch for my 6 identical missile loaders:
(the outcome of the converting can be found further down in the thread)

A simple but effective conversion, re-positioning the heavy bolter ammunition feeders head:

Next up, I had to complete my force. (at least to a playable state).
So I bought the remaining models new from a website.
I knew it would get pretty expensive, but I thought it would be worth it, since I'd gotten away so cheap
with the bulk of my force (and when I already put so much effort in it, There was no stopping Pirate)

The models I bought was...

*1 Steel legion Commissiar (stand in for senior officier)
*2 Steel legion lieutnants (junior officiers)
*1 steel legion sergeant
*1 steel legion with plasmagun
*2 steel legion heavy bolter teams
*1 steel legion Lascannon team
*1 chimera (with forgeworld twinlinked heavy bolter turret Happy) I was heading for a heavy bolter heavy army.
*1 Hellhound
*+7 paint bottles, 1 spraycan, slotta bases etc.

It all came down to 300 dollars..... yikes,Shock

Ahermm... Anyhow, now the army was pretty much what I wanted it to be, And I was ready to start painting.
but no, a fantasy tournament got in the way and It was all about finishing my WoC army in time.

This was what the army looked like in november 2008;

Summer came, (this was last year) and the new Imperial Guard codex was released.
I find it always a bad thing when a new armybook is released, cause it always messes things up with
your already existing force. And as I feared, the list I put so much money in to complete in a cool
looking way was not as excuisitly executed anymore. I had to change many things due to the new force organisation chart.
Although, as always, GW releases some cool looking models to make us look past this (our old lists and tactics being raped that said Big Grin),
and the awesome valkyrie model, and cool rules for Manticore, Deathstrike missle, and Master of Ordnance took my fall this time Happy
After getting used to the new rules I actually find them better (as it always is), but I still dont like how GW wants to simplify things.
(I really miss the Doctrines).

I got the Valkyrie model as a present from my girlfriend on my birthday, which got my interest back on my steel legion again.
Although the valkyrie dont really fit in with the WW2 theme, It's too awesome to look past. It can be a transport for my stormtroopers *cough* paratroopers *cough* Big Grin
One annoying thing with it though was that you had to paint the inside of it before you glued it toghether, or atleast I thought so,
until I discovered that I could leave the roof unglued, when it already was to late *grumble* Unsure

I put some conversion work into making the gunner look like a steel legion dude Happy

Then, In the middle of the summer, I brought together all my existing models steel legions to take some pictures.
I was tempted to start painting them, but at that point I also had other, greater deeds in mind ...
It was back then I started with my Chaos Dwarves, and If you've watched my blog, you'd noticed I've been quite busy with them sfter that.

So the Steel Legion was put aside again, and hasn't been touched since then, until now...

Here are the pictures from last summer:

HQ:

this is my army's command squad. I chose to use the commissair model as a senior officier, since he follows the theme so well,
and he has a bigger hat/ feels more dominant than the other lietnants, therefore I chose to use them as junior officiers instead.
The guy hunching in the back is the medic. He's a converted missile model that the former owner used as a sergeant, but I thought It
was a pretty silly pose for a sergreant, so I gave him a bag and made him a medic instead.
The regimental standard is made from a sergeant, with a chaos marauder arm and chaos warrior standard.
one thing that got messed up in the rule changes is the vox casters, since they have another purpose now,
so they are not exactly tactical placed within the units. I have to get some more of them to make it work with the new rules.
I also plan to make a master of ordnance to have as an addition to the command squad. they're so fun to use Happy

Elites:

I use my sniper models as a stand in for the ratling models. It's easier to field them as ratlings, and it doesnt look as cool if there's
spotters joining them.

The stormstroopers will be the paratroopers in my nazi army, and will deepstrike into the heart of the enemy with their parachutes Happy
I'm planning on doing a deep strike marker just for fun, where there's a paratrooper dangling down from the sky with a parachute. so cool.

Troops:

Ah, troops. the joy and the pain of every imp army. I've only filled the two troop slots that has to be filled, the minimum, but still have over 60 models in those slots! :S
There are two infantry platoons, simply named 1 and 2. the first one contain 2 infantry squads, named 1a and 1b, while the second contains 3 named (you've guessed it) 2a, 2b and 2c.

Infantry platoon 1

platoon 1 command squad

infantry squad 1a (note afrika korp sergeant, experiment colorscheme)

infantry squad 1b

Infantry platoon 2

platoon 2 command squad

infantry squad 2a

infantry squad 2b

infantry squad 2c (former iron fist squad)

The chimera is, as mentioned, upgraded with a twin linked heavy bolter turret from forgworld, because its so cool Happy
Since I haven't bought the imperial armour book I have no clue of what the twink linked heavy bolter costs, points wise.
I usually pay for double turret mounted heavy bolter 5+5 pts, against players who allow it. Against other, boring players not allowing it (really dont know why),
I just use it as a single turret mounted heavy bolter.
I also made an attempt to make some interior for the tatk. Not the prettiest, but I didn't make such big deal out of it,
being that when the roof is on you can only see in thru the back door.
The open/close-able back hatch is also a nice and easy-made feature, making disembarking so much more fun Happy

Missile launcher Heavy weapon teams, Note the small changes I made with details to make them look different to each other.

As for the objective marker I was just bored, and it was great fun to make! In some special scenario it can work as a objectiv marker shooting like a hunter-killer missile,
or something, who knows. I will warn you, more crazy things like this will appear later in this thread Tongue Wink

Fast Attack:

A Valkyre and a Hellhound, nothing out of the ordinary here.

I bought the hellhound because its such a cool tank, and it's very good,.. or was, in the last codex.
In the current one they made him less awesome, but it's still a very intimadating tank. BURN!!!

The Valkyrie is also a must have since it's such a cool model. but I dont know what his role is on the battlefield.
I thought It would be a transport for my Paratroopers at first, but since they can deepstrike, they really dont have any use for it.
I'll guess it will just hang around, drawing some enemy fire on it, instead of on some more, important units.
perhaps I will convert it to an vendetta, who knows.

Heavy Support:

Here comes the biggest shock, There's no entry here!
Later on, I'll probably fill some slots here aswell. I already have some converting plans for both a manticore and a deathstrike missile.
A big tank would be nice aswell. A punisher is a very interesting tank indeed, but miniguns are not that nazi WW2 (unless you're playing wolfenstein, ofcourse Big Grin),
So I probably settle for a honest old demolisher.

So that's it. There's been one change since these pictures were taken, and that is that the Hellhound has been painted.
It was due to a painting competition with a tank theme and I thought "why not?"
Although no pictures of that has ben taken yet, so I'll post them later.

I have some more material (start of conversions, colorscheme, armylist and such) already done, but that'll be in my next post, I'm done for now.
This is officially the longest post I made (I think).

I'll get back soon and it would be fun to hear some Comments & Critics.

/melv

Spare time? Evaluate my Skulltank rules!
| other armies (more to come) |:
03-01-2010 11:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gar Shadowfame
Banned

Group: Excommunicated
Market Rep:
Slaves: 22

RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]Gar Shadowfame 03-02-2010

the red arm bands with white circle and black mark are very meaningfull idea...

03-02-2010 09:52 AM
m3lvin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]m3lvin 03-02-2010

Yeah, your right. I didn't even make it a big effort to make it look like this, the mark with the symbol is already on the model. It's not that hard to figure out what they want the models to look alike, I just made it even more obvious.

The original colour on the steel legion symbol is a white circle with a red lightning in it on a black background, just play a bit with the colours and what do you get?

Their lightning bolt "S" symbol is certainly not any swastika, but what happens if you put two of those lightning symbols next to each other, what symbol do you get then?

It cant just be a coincidence.

03-02-2010 10:20 AM
Loki
Wearer of the Big Hat

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 269
Best Attitude - 2009 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]Loki 03-02-2010

Great work on the army so far, i like the GS gas masks that you have done on the old style storm troopers, i wish i had the skills to do that to my ones i really don’t like the faces on them, the gas masks look so cool they really should have done all the models with them on

Fequiil Said
------------------------------------------------
yeah, everybody can just say that, but when loki speaks...
everything is different.Wink

03-02-2010 10:27 AM
m3lvin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Loki: thank you, I totally agree with you, The old stormtroopers are awesome Big Grin

I've been spending time today organizing my models so I can have a simple overview while working on them.
I've counted on my armylist as well, this is the result:

STEEL LEGION ARMY LIST:

HQ:

Company Command Squad 50
company commander: (bolter +2 power weapon +10)
medipack +30 Regimental standard +15 vox caster+5
Advisor: Master of ordnance +30
142 pts

ELITES:

10 Stormtroopers
Boltgun, Plasmapistol, flamer
180 pts

5 Ratling snipers
50 pts

TROOPS:

Infantry Platoon 1

Platoon command squad (C1) 30
bolt pistol +2 Power weapon +10 vox caster +5
grenade launcher +5 Missile launcher +15
                                                                  67 pts
Infantry squad (1a) 50
grenade launcher +5 Lascannon +20
                                                                  75 pts
Infantry squad (1b) 50
grenade launcher +5 Heavy bolter +10             65 pts

Heavy weapon squad (M1,2,3) 60
3 missile launchers +30                                  90 pts

Infantry platoon 2

Platoon command squad (C2) 30
Power weapon +10 Plasmagun +15 Missile launcher +15
                                                                   70 pts
Infantry squad (2a) 50
grenade launcher +5 Heavy bolter +10
                                                                   65 pts
Infantry squad (2b) 50
Plasmagun +15 Missile Launcher +15
                                                                   80 pts
Infantry squad (2c) 50
Vox caster +5 grenade launcher +5 Heavy bolter +10
                                                                  70 pts
Chimera (dedicated transport squad 2c) 55
Turret Heavy bolter, Hull heavy bolter, Dozer blade +10
                                                                  65 pts

FAST ATTACK:

Hellhound 130
dozerblade +10
                                                                  140 pts
Vendetta Gunship 130
Heavy bolter sponsons +10
                                                                  140 pts

HEAVY SUPPORT:

(none)

TOTAL: 1299 pts

Groupshot of my little more organized force Big Grin:

And here are some pictures on my painted Hellhound, as promised:

Thats all for now, hopefully I'll get my hands on some PVA glue, and I can start basing tonight!

Takes Hat off

/melv

03-02-2010 01:47 PM
Snotling
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 26
Army Showcase Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]Snotling 03-02-2010

Well hm okay. For me, the colour sheme is a little like glorification so I'm careful with themes like that. Anyways, it makes them look more evil and well... it is just a game ^^
maybe another symbol than a flash could turn it down, but it's your decision. Your conversions look pretty good so far. I'm curious about the progress your army makes.

The Pledge 2010:
Bought: 3  Painted: 12
03-02-2010 01:50 PM
warh
Lammasu

Slaves: 267
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]warh 03-02-2010

Yay steel legion!! totaly my favourite IG army.
good luck painting all thoseBig Grin

"In White Dwarf We Trust"

03-02-2010 04:24 PM
Gar Shadowfame
Banned

Market Rep:

Could you please send your disclaimer to these people, i am sure they will be very interested in hearing that you only make an army looking like natzi because its a game.

With regards
Gar Shadowfame

03-02-2010 05:23 PM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 531
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]Thommy H 03-02-2010

I have a feeling this isn't going to end well...

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

03-02-2010 05:44 PM
Gar Shadowfame
Banned

Market Rep:

at times when US papers call auschwitz "polish concentration camp"!!!! only shocking and true info, and naming devil when i see it is the way to react. what should i say when i see SS like models, "cool gasmasks too bads jews didnt have 'em too".

i am not saying anyone has to tear their cloths and suffer for sins of their ancestors, but on the other hand we cant make certain stuff "casual"

03-02-2010 05:50 PM
Hazkar
Great Taurus

Slaves: 148

RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]Hazkar 03-02-2010

some nice decent conversions
the theme is pretty...hmm..marginal(is that the right word?)

but the paintjob is well done

@gar:i think,the pic is a "little bit" over the top

03-02-2010 05:51 PM
starscream
Bull Centaur Hero

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 23

RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]starscream 03-02-2010

please lets not turn this into "nazis are bad m'kay?".

We know they were an evil genocidal regime... a bit like the Imperium in fact.

Is this any worse than say an army based on Napoleonic forces? What about Conquistador?, Roman? is it just the fact that this was more recent history?

How do you feel about games like Flames of War? Third Reich?  How about playing as Nazis in video games such as Call of Duty or Wolfenstein?

I dont see glorification here, I see the models painted to match their sculpters inspiration.

My bighats army blog

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...758&page=1

03-02-2010 05:53 PM
Gar Shadowfame
Banned

Market Rep:

problem is that there are still pepole who survived deathcamps, they still live and its not "history yet"

starscream if you would like to send your disclaimer to peple on my picture then it could be difficult since their ashes fertilised some field.

hazkar, why is it over the top, isnt painting someones small natzi look-alike force over the top?

03-02-2010 06:01 PM
Hazkar
Great Taurus

Slaves: 148

RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]Hazkar 03-02-2010

do you also think its wrong to paint a army like communists?like tjub did?
cause they had concentration camps,too.they just had different names

i didn´t say it´s cool to paint minis like nazis,just said the paintjob is well done

03-02-2010 06:18 PM
Gar Shadowfame
Banned

Market Rep:

i never said you did, i asked about painting nazi look-alike

03-02-2010 06:29 PM
starscream
Bull Centaur Hero

RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]starscream 03-02-2010

I dont have a disclaimer. I am just not a sensationalist.

Is there anything else that cant be represented? I have painted a squad of stormtroopers to resemble current British troops?

How about if I paint up some catachans in an Apocalypse Now stylee?  Hope I dont have to send a disclaimer to any Vietnamese out there.

Fact is dude lotsa of the Imperial Guard range are based on historic armies,  the nazis are possibly the ultimate bad guys in popular culture, hence they are often represented outside the typical historic settings. Like I pointed out, do you think ID software are a bad lot for Wolfenstein (demonic nazis). What about the minis game Tannhauser??

There has to be more to your arguement than "but innocent people died".  Millions died on both sides of the war but it seems ok for other factions to be represented.

Am i defending, glamourising or making any kind of excuse for nazi genocide? absolutley not!  I just think you are missing the point here.

My bighats army blog

03-02-2010 07:36 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Group: Hashut's Admin
Slaves: 1333
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]cornixt 03-02-2010

It's a game.

Don't forget that we all play an army that enslaves and kills for fun. To complain about a Nazi colour scheme is hypocritical at best.

If you want to take it to the off-topic forum then go ahead, but I have a feeling it will be closed down quickly anyway.

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.
There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

03-02-2010 08:26 PM
m3lvin
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Well this thread escalated to its worse very fast.
I share the same views as starscream, but I know its a sensitive subject.

This thread is pretty much ruined now, so the mods can lock it, delete it, whatever they want.

Too bad.

/melv

03-02-2010 10:15 PM
starscream
Bull Centaur Hero

RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]starscream 03-03-2010

Dont let it spoil your thread/project mate. The army is looking great. he has had his say and now if he doesnt agree with this thread he can choose not to follow it.

I wanna see more, I've got loadsa steel legion waiting to be painted and I need inspiration.

My bighats army blog

03-03-2010 04:49 AM
Thorne
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 300
Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: [ m3lvins - Steel Legion ]Thorne 03-03-2010

starscream Wrote:
Dont let it spoil your thread/project mate. The army is looking great. he has had his say and now if he doesnt agree with this thread he can choose not to follow it.

I wanna see more, I've got loadsa steel legion waiting to be painted and I need inspiration.

As far as I can tell Gar Shadowflame enjoys taking time to flame the concepts of models and painters alike, From what I see I see wonderfull looking models and a great start to a awesome force. You see hundreds upon hundreds of people are painting these and hundreds upon hundreds of people are also taking the time to paint plastic toy soliders for there nazi armies for world war 2.

The problem being is Gar likes ot be the morale compas of this site but lets face it hashut is a all powerfull god of evil dwarves, These evil dwarves capture slaves put them to work in horrid conditions and then when they are done with the slaves they finnish them off on the feild of battle or throw them into pits fo boiling gold copper bronze what ever takes your fancy.

You cannot then go on to point out that M3lvin is then glorifying the nazi regimen in germany during world war 2, I agree many bad things happened in those times commited by each sides but now we stand in the year 2010 and people have fougth died and lived to tell the tale for something vitaly important and that is free speach and the rigth to be ourselves,

Im sorry you feel so strongly about M3lvins wonderfull looking force but lets be realistic is it because you cant model as well as M3lvin ? Is it because are a relation of a auschwitz or other concentration camp survivor ? Does ti really boil down to jelously ?

Lest we not forget the self motivated and not quite pious actions of Oscar Schindler who rose to the highest level of humanity, walked through the bloody mud of the  Holocaust without soiling his soul, his compassion, his respect for human life -  and gave his Jews a second chance at life. He miraculously managed to do it and pulled it off by using the very same talents that made him a war profiteer - his flair for presentation, bribery, and grand gestures.

Today there are more than 7,000 descendants of the Schindler-Jews living in US and Europe, Due to the examples of a man whom was not only at times a entrepreneur but a flawed man who's tallents can be used as a shinning example.

He died penniless. But he earned the everlasting gratitude of the Schindler-Jews. Today his name is known as a household word for courage in a world of brutality - a hero who saved hundreds of Jews from Hitler's gas chambers.

If you go back in history in games workshops not to distant past the black ligthning bolt was common place on the waterslide transfer sheet suspicionsly looking like the waffen SS insignia,

History teaches us many lessons, History has inspired M3lvin and history has taugth us that even lights can shine in the darkest of places

1, Come see things the space dwarf way.

2, My bases and scenic store

3, My spectre scenic products blog.

This post was last modified: 03-03-2010 06:04 AM by Thorne.

03-03-2010 06:01 AM
Pages (7): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites