Post Reply  Post Thread 
Dawi Zharr, full steam ahead!
Author MessageDawi Zharr, full steam ahead!
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 88

Dawi Zharr, full steam ahead!khedyarl 04-05-2010

Hi there, everyone.  I'm a longtime lurker, but new poster to CDO.  I've finally decided to make the plunge, and start converting up some big hats.

Now, be gentle with me.  I've never sculpted anything in my entire life, and up until this mini, I've only ever used greenstuff to fill gaps, heh.

The hat is currently curing, I plan to shave down and smooth out the edge so that it is more cylindrical, then build up the base and the top of the hat.

I still need to greenstuff some braids of hair at the base of the hat on the back {I haven't done anything back there, yet, hence no pictures}.

This mini will be turned into a Blunderbuss, eventually.  If anyone can offer any good suggestions for the Blunderbuss itself, that would be very appreciated.

This post was last modified: 08-03-2010 04:38 AM by khedyarl.

04-05-2010 01:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tarrakk Blackhand
Tarrakk Blackhand LIVES!!!

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 637
Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: BlunderbussesTarrakk Blackhand 04-05-2010

Welcome to the site!

The mini looks good so far! I'd just suggest cropping the picture down so that it's smaller for the web page.

Blunderbusses are easy enough to make. Just take the standard Dwarf Thunderers hand gun and cut the end of the barrel down a little bit. Then glue a buckler shield to the end of the gun barrel. (It's the same shield you're currently using for your hat top.)

Here's an example of my finished models. I found that you have to reduce the length of the gun barrel so that the models don't hit each other in the head with the bell of the gun.

Amaze your friends when you post your Chaos Dwarf model pictures on our forum at http://www.monster-hobbies.com today!
04-05-2010 02:22 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zanko
Prime Frurndar of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 1159
Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Blackshard Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Gold Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: BlunderbussesZanko 04-05-2010

You can also use the "Chaos Rhino Gargoyle heads" for the ends of the Blunderbusses - you can see an example here!

Hashut!

"Frurndar are still existing!"
               The Lizard King 

04-05-2010 03:01 AM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Blunderbusseskhedyarl 04-05-2010

I edited the picture, hopefully that is a bit more viewer friendly.

Thanks for the suggestions - I like the look of both the Gargoyles, and the shields.  I think the deciding factor will be how many Gargoyle heads I can get ahold of.  I have a few Chaos playing friends I may be able to mooch them from, so if I can get fifteen of them, I think I'll do that.

What do you guys think of the hat, aside from it being unfinished?  Is it tall/short enough, is the style fitting?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate it's contents.  - HPL

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=11590
04-05-2010 03:28 AM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Group: Hashut's Admin
Slaves: 1302
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Blunderbussescornixt 04-05-2010

Looking very good so far

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
04-05-2010 08:18 AM
Tarrakk Blackhand

Veteran Medal - Bronze                               

Another BB gun end is a Vampire Counts Skeleton Warriors tuba. It has a nice bell with a skull head inside of it. These are harder to find, so I might suggest using this end for your champion.

Amaze your friends when you post your Chaos Dwarf model pictures on our forum at http://www.monster-hobbies.com today!
04-05-2010 12:17 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Alright, so, my photography isn't getting any better, heh.

A few pictures, and explanations.  The first few are shots of the Annihilator as he stands right now;

I need to wait for all of the greenstuff to cure, so I can carve it down and file it smooth.  Looking at the other project logs, I want to smash everything I've ever done with a hammer every time I look at Snotling, or Xander's stuff.  Tongue

BUT I AM PLOWING ONWARD!

EDIT:  Some WIP of the Blunderbusses - again, I need it to cure so I can smooth everything out.  I'm thinking that my front rank is going to be belching fire, what do you guys think?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate it's contents.  - HPL

04-05-2010 10:23 PM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

I have a few WIP pictures of my Sorceror on Lammasu, too.  If anyone has any ideas as to how to model the Sorcerous Exhalation, I am all ears.  Right now, he's a little boring.

The images aren't great, since the mini was half-primed black a very long time ago, so hopefully you guys can make some stuff out.

This post was last modified: 04-05-2010 10:26 PM by khedyarl.

04-05-2010 10:25 PM
Tarrakk Blackhand

Veteran Medal - Bronze                               

Looks good.

Never worry about other people's Greenstuff abilities. You have to make Greenstuff "Your own" and be unique!

I wish I had your Lammasu!

04-05-2010 11:36 PM
Loki
Wearer of the Big Hat

Slaves: 269
Best Attitude - 2009 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: BlunderbussesLoki 04-06-2010

For a first sculpt this a some great work  Happy great work on the lammasu as well and also welcome to the site great to have you with us Takes Hat off

Fequiil Said
------------------------------------------------
yeah, everybody can just say that, but when loki speaks...
everything is different.Wink

04-06-2010 02:55 AM
Hazkar
Great Taurus

Slaves: 148

RE: BlunderbussesHazkar 04-06-2010

good start,really like that flame effect at the blunderbuss thats  nice idea

your lammassu looks good too,where are the hands of the sorcerer from?
looks like parts from a rakham dwarf to me.am i right?

04-06-2010 01:08 PM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Blunderbusseskhedyarl 04-06-2010

Close, Hazkar.  They are actually from Golberak, the goblin general.

04-06-2010 02:18 PM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Blunderbusseskhedyarl 04-11-2010

So, I've been steadily plugging away at the little buggers.  Tonight I plan to prime and begin putting the primary colours on them, and make some bases.

[/align]

04-11-2010 12:04 AM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Dawi Zharr, full steam ahead!khedyarl 08-03-2010

So, I've been relatively busy, and just won a best overall in a small local tourney with my big-hatted little men.

The crazy part was that I actually played against another guy playing Chaos Dwarfs {as Dwarfs}!!

Anyhow, a few updates:  The Lamassu, sans rider {flash really flooded out the colour, wings were not finished at the time this picture was taken}:

And my Daemon Eater, which at the time this picture was taken, was only base coloured, highlighted slightly, and washed, I still have a long ways to go, but things are comming together.  The Daemonsmith on top is magnetized, and again, base coloured, highlighted, washed, and not finished.

This post was last modified: 08-03-2010 04:43 AM by khedyarl.

08-03-2010 04:42 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1356
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Dawi Zharr, full steam ahead!Grimstonefire 08-03-2010

Woah, now that is what I call creative, deserving of a slave or two.  Where are all the parts from?

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
08-03-2010 07:46 AM
khedyarl
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

RE: Dawi Zharr, full steam ahead!khedyarl 08-03-2010

The funny part was that I got halfway through the minis, and had no idea how to finish.

Bits:  Steam tank, Gun Bunny from Warmachine, Zombie Dragon, The middle part of the barrel I dremmelled out of a Hellcannon to make my Earthshaker, so I used that part in this conversion, The old Pump Wagon, random Chaos spikes, a basing kit for the skulls, and a few other random bits, and lots and lots of greenstuff.

The Daemonsmith's legs are a heavily shaved down Mortenebra from Warmachine, with a Dwarf warrior torso, hollowed-out night plastic night goblin hood with a dwarf mask/beard greenstuffed into place.

I'm forgetting some bits, but that's most of them.

I'll see if I can get some shots of my Eruption gun.

08-03-2010 02:34 PM
Fequiil
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 53

RE: BlunderbussesFequiil 08-03-2010

[/quote]
  Looking at the other project logs, I want to smash everything I've ever done with a hammer every time I look at Snotling, or Xander's stuff.  Tongue

[/quote]
thats why you shoudn't look at those armies too much!
i used to look at those armies alot too and in the end, i got some inspiration.
so, it works to look at those armies as you are going to copy quiet fast, but don't look at it too much, as you will copy too much and want to smash everything apart...

i like the idea of belching bbs btw!Happy

08-03-2010 03:28 PM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mantic Dawi Zharr Rolemodeld 12 5,564 11-14-2011 06:43 PM
Last Post: Wifstrand
  my dawi-zharr D.O.O.M 123 46,219 11-07-2010 08:47 AM
Last Post: Zanko
  Dawi Zharr Sculpt (Update! 01/28/09) dedwrekka 39 14,519 09-18-2009 03:29 PM
Last Post: Tarrakk Blackhand