Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
1 Votes - 5 Average   RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore - [last day before the show!]
Author MessageRE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore - [last day before the show!]
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 497
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore - [last day before the show!]Xander 05-18-2010

Hi everyone,

So Vexxus and I got to work and started making the table.  Using our rough draft as a guideline we went to the hardware store to pick up some supplies.

We returned with four 8'x4' sheets of styrofoam (the crappy, but cheap bubbly stuff) and with one sheet of 8'x4' pink styrofoam (the good stuff).  We also picked up some foam-safe adhesive. And, we also took a chance on some textured ceiling paint, which seemed like a good idea for combining a sort of basecoat and flock texture into one step.

Vexxus had already created the plywood base with some reinforcement, and he might reply about that in a bit more detail.  We first had to cut down the foam to 6' lengths.

The next step was to sketch out the desired shape and cut the foam with a foam cutter.  The foam cutter created the desired shape and texture of the excavated land.  

Working with the bubbly foam can get really messy.  Good thing Vexxus had his trusty heavy duty vacuum to make short work of all those annoyingly static prone bits.

The multi-level digging site is mostly finished. A bit more cleanup is done.

Now it's time to glue the foam to the table and then more foam to that.  Again, we are using a heavy duty foam-safe adhesive.  

For the open valley section of the site, we glue the pink foam in place.  We also used some black spray paint to create a small tar/oil pit.

We used a bunch of scrap wood to weigh down the foam and ensure a good bond between wood, glue, and foam.

We also begin creating the ramp/road back to Zharr Naggrund.  We also started work on an underground railway that will run parallel to the ramp/road.

More pictures to come!

If you have any ideas on for structures or details, please share.  Sketches and pictures are welcome.  A small oil rig and refinery are planned, as well as the railway with mine carts.  We may do a guard tower as well.  But we welcome you thoughts and ideas.

Comments welcome!

---

Batch #2!

Some tools of the trade!

The foam cutter in action.

The table is taking form!

Tar pit time.

Expanded tar pit.

We apply the two-part epoxy  to fill some gaps and smooth out the ramp.  The table shape is mostly complete.

Our underground mine cart railway back to Zharr Naggrund.

The ramp and road back to Zharr Naggrund.

In the next batch we'll show you guys the effect that using textured ceiling paint had on our board. Stay tuned!

---

Batch #3

Textured Ceiling Paint!

Cracks in the earth!

That's it for now!  What do you think?

2017 Image Salvage

Follow CDO on Twitter: Twitter

This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 06:56 AM by Admiral.

05-18-2010 05:01 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusXander 05-18-2010

Also, I am trying to assemble a list of which CDO members will be at Games Day Baltimore.

The List so far:
ryanamandaanna
Vexxus
Willmark
Xander

05-18-2010 05:16 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Time of Madness
The Lord of Change

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 260
Best General - 2011                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusTime of Madness 05-18-2010

Looks great so far! You guys are off to a good start.

I'm assuming someone has to man the table the whole weekend?

Time of Madness

The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
- Robert Jordan
05-18-2010 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hashut's Blessing
The Cakily Blessed One

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 731
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusHashut's Blessing 05-18-2010

Looking damned good so far! Can we see a close up of the tar pit-to-be, please?

For the minecart, you could always obtain and modify one from the dwarf miners/BfSP box and for tracks, either get very small train-tracks from a nearby hobby-shop or make your own from wires and balsa/lollipop sticks.

With the guard towers, make sure there are CDs patrolling atop them, aiming giant guns at people (like films portray American prison wardens doing so).

What sort of oil rig ya looking to make? I think you can find them at the sorts of hobby-shops that sell trains, so you couls get one of those and use them as a basis...

Pledge: '09:+83 '10:+116 '11:+118 '12: N/A '13: N/A

WarplockMonkey Wrote:
After years of rigerous scientific reasearch, it has now been proven that there is a 50% chance that HB is 'in your fridge, eatin your cakez'.

05-18-2010 08:09 PM
wallacer
Hashut's cow pimp

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 1046
Artisan's Contest - Bronze Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Wiki - Major Contributor Blackshard Army Medal - 10000 PTS                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and Vexxuswallacer 05-18-2010

Looks good.  Never been to a games day before.  Can't wait to see all the pictures.

Army pics: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...888&page=1
05-18-2010 08:15 PM
Fequiil
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 53

RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusFequiil 05-19-2010

lookin' good xander!
as always ofcourse.

This post was last modified: 05-19-2010 01:01 AM by Fequiil.

05-19-2010 01:00 AM
G.2
Lammasu

Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 177
Golden Hat - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusG.2 05-19-2010

Xander Wrote:
If you have any ideas on for structures or details, please share.  Sketches and pictures are welcome.  

This table is looking good so far, I can’t wait to see more of it.

Here are some ideas for your table. A quick google search revealed these:

Guard Tower idea:

Guard Tower idea:

Guard Tower idea:

Steampunk mech idea: can used either a guard mech or a working mech.

Oil Rig idea:

I hope these give you guys some more inspiration.

Keep up the great work.

G2 is short for George Georgiou.

Standing Small - G2's miniature blog

05-19-2010 01:47 AM
Mario
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 14

RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusMario 05-19-2010

I like the look of the ridges on the stone cliff. Nice to read, hope you keep us posted!

05-19-2010 07:47 AM
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1253
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusNicodemus 05-19-2010

Sweet sweet terrain... wish I was there guys!!  Thanks for keeping us in the loop, can't wait to see more.  As I'm not building terrain at present I have to live vicariously though others Wink

~N

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

05-19-2010 12:46 PM
Bassman
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Slaves: 640
Golden Hat - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusBassman 05-19-2010

So far really good work. I'm longing to see more! Very, very curious Big Grin

Alan the evil Wrote:
bassman spoke... and I do agree!!

Are you interested in the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci? Check here: http://milanoarte.net/en/tour/the-last-s...ly-for-you

Bored of slashing your slaves? Take a vacation in Milan:
http://www.milantour.net

05-19-2010 03:11 PM
clam
Slave to Darkness

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 1262
Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and Vexxusclam 05-20-2010

Great start - and like others looking forward following this new quest of yours - and dont forget, that you would need a big Chaos Dwarf force for playing on that game board.

Clam's Coloured Classic Collection

Follow Clamshells on Facebook
05-20-2010 02:46 AM
Ogrob
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 72

RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusOgrob 05-20-2010

Looking great, I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

My painting blog of DOOM!
Trolls with guns!
05-20-2010 03:17 AM
superfella
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 7

RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and Vexxussuperfella 05-20-2010

Looking good fellas, keep it up!

05-20-2010 07:20 AM
Servius
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 186
Artisan's Contest - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusServius 05-20-2010

Looking good... I would recommend you using simple wood putty for filling... as its cheap, easy to apply and it doesnt shrink.. also when you apply the PVA layer before flocking it will make a solid, smooth area with no seams showing. Also a mix of playground sand with common cat litter is great for flocking a large table as it gets that variety of size in there.. also find a large sized volcanic rock.. in nevada we have tons.. so if you need some tell me and ill send you a box.. but you can pretty much shatter them easy with a hammer and it will give you some great larger sized rocks.

05-20-2010 08:11 AM
Thorne
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 300
Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusThorne 05-20-2010

Oh my word awesome start ! Gant wait to see it in all its glory !

1, Come see things the space dwarf way.

2, My bases and scenic store

3, My spectre scenic products blog.
05-20-2010 09:14 AM
Rhazzouth
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 17

RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusRhazzouth 05-20-2010

Here's one idea for the watch tower, from monolith icon:
http://www.monolith-icon.home.pl/monolit...index.html
Takes Hat off

¿Noone has announce by birthday? Sad
05-20-2010 11:43 AM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusXander 05-20-2010

Definitely some cool towers on that web page, though they are incredibly expensive!

Still, they have some great ideas for when I start building my own!

05-20-2010 03:27 PM
Vexxus
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 67
Army Showcase Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusVexxus 05-20-2010

Servius Wrote:
Looking good... I would recommend you using simple wood putty for filling... as its cheap, easy to apply and it doesnt shrink.. also when you apply the PVA layer before flocking it will make a solid, smooth area with no seams showing. Also a mix of playground sand with common cat litter is great for flocking a large table as it gets that variety of size in there.. also find a large sized volcanic rock.. in nevada we have tons.. so if you need some tell me and ill send you a box.. but you can pretty much shatter them easy with a hammer and it will give you some great larger sized rocks.

Some great ideas in there certainly, and thank you for your post!

HOWEVER (lol), we happen to have our hands on some industrial grade product (a 2 part epoxy of immense strength, and very little shrinkage) for filling in the gaps. This stage is now complete, photographs pending.

Also, as opposed to using a sand mixture, Xander came up with the (brilliant) idea at the hardware store, of buying some ceiling paint. The product we picked out has tons of sand mixed in, and is meant to provide a tough surface, which also happens to be textured with sand. This provided a relatively easy, and VERY solid solution. This paint goes on thick, can be extra-textured as desired, and has now hardened into a thin layer of what is practically concrete, lol. Again, pictures pending!

Cheers
Vex

05-20-2010 03:57 PM
Loki
Wearer of the Big Hat

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 269
Best Attitude - 2009 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore -  Xander and VexxusLoki 05-20-2010

Great work so far, really looking forward to seeing what the finished board looks like, more pics soon please Happy

Fequiil Said
------------------------------------------------
yeah, everybody can just say that, but when loki speaks...
everything is different.Wink

05-20-2010 04:08 PM
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

RE: [Blog] CDO's Game Table for Games Day Baltimore - [Second Batch of Images up!]Xander 05-21-2010

New pics added to the first post!  Thoughts? Happy

05-21-2010 12:44 PM
Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  DarkEden's little show DarkEden 21 7,911 09-09-2011 05:53 AM
Last Post: DarkEden

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites