Pages (5): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errata
Author MessageCDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errata
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1351
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataGrimstonefire 08-06-2010

Attached is the 8th edition CDO errata we've been working on for the Ravening Hordes: Chaos Dwarfs list.

This is the only version we will have listed as a sticky, unless GW produce an 'officially supported' one.

If there are any issues you would like raised, please post them below and we will consider them for future revisions.

Click here to download the Chaos Dwarf errata for 8th edition Ravening Hordes

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 04-20-2011 08:43 PM by cornixt.

08-06-2010 05:45 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataGrimstonefire 08-08-2010

Thanks to Thommy, Baggronor, cornixt and Swiss for doing most of this.  I may have missed a few people.

This post was last modified: 08-08-2010 03:33 PM by Grimstonefire.

08-08-2010 03:33 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 521
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataThommy H 08-08-2010

We'll also be happy (well, I will be anyway - can't necessarily speak for everyone else!) to field any queries about why certain decisions were taken and why certain interpretations were favoured over others. That's not to say the FAQ is up for debate, but it can be useful to have "designer's notes" in these kinds of situations.

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

08-08-2010 03:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Da Crusha
K'daai Destroyer

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 433
Best General - 2010                               
RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataDa Crusha 08-08-2010

everything looks pretty good. the only things I have problems with, nitpicking really, 2+ ward against flaming, bull centaurs following ALL the rules for cavalry and 50mm bases for monsters.

I understand why the armour of the furnace got changed to "2+ ward save against flaming attacks", because of the Dwarf FAQ, but on the other hand the High elf Dragon princes retained their immunity to flaming attacks.

The only problem I have with Bull centaurs following ALL of the rules of cavalry is our most holy and elite bull centaurs now fear fire. BRB Pg 69

I understand that other monstrous mounts have 50 mm bases but, these are not easy bases to get a hold of.

Da Crusha's non-big hat army blog
Seaside Slaughter 2

This post was last modified: 08-08-2010 07:07 PM by Da Crusha.

08-08-2010 07:05 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1216
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataWillmark 08-08-2010

Da Crusha Wrote:
I understand that other monstrous mounts have 50 mm bases but, these are not easy bases to get a hold of.

4 25mm bases and glue together. Add modeling putty and all set.

My Want List / My Trade List
08-08-2010 07:11 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1312
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) erratacornixt 08-08-2010

Da Crusha Wrote:
everything looks pretty good. the only things I have problems with, nitpicking really, 2+ ward against flaming, bull centaurs following ALL the rules for cavalry and 50mm bases for monsters.

I understand why the armour of the furnace got changed to "2+ ward save against flaming attacks", because of the Dwarf FAQ, but on the other hand the High elf Dragon princes retained their immunity to flaming attacks.

The only problem I have with Bull centaurs following ALL of the rules of cavalry is our most holy and elite bull centaurs now fear fire. BRB Pg 69

These are the issues we discussed the most, and they were discussed with the exact same parallels in the 8th ed changes. It was pretty annoying that there wasn't enough consistency for the fire immunity, and the only relatable unit for BCs are Centigors, which fear flaming attacks.

Quote:

This was a no-brainer, since they were set as 50mm bases way back in 6th edition on the base-size chart.

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
08-08-2010 07:59 PM
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1263
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataNicodemus 08-08-2010

Thank for this guys. Great work getting it organized... not that we had a lot to build on from the Ravening Hordes list Wink

~N

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

08-08-2010 09:29 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataGrimstonefire 08-09-2010

@Da Crusha
I think the fearing fire thing was because it would be ruling in our favour over something where we don't have to change to make the list playable in 8th.

That was one of the really tricky ones to resolve.

This post was last modified: 08-09-2010 04:59 AM by Grimstonefire.

08-09-2010 04:59 AM
Da Crusha
K'daai Destroyer

Best General - 2010                               
RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataDa Crusha 08-09-2010

Grimstonefire Wrote:
@Da Crusha
I think the fearing fire thing was because it would be ruling in our favour over something where we don't have to change to make the list playable in 8th.

That was one of the really tricky ones to resolve.

yeah I could see how difficult it would be to judge this one, at least we have high Ld, and won't have to worry about it much.

The thing that bugs me the most is the armour of the furnace, 2+ ward save against fire, its the only ruling that is unnecessarily detrimental imo.

Seaside Slaughter 2
08-09-2010 06:35 AM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataThommy H 08-09-2010

Armour of the Furnace was changed to be brought into line with the Dwarf FAQ ruling, with a similar item in the Beastman book and with another similar item in the rulebook. Essentially, it appeared to us that "immune to Flaming attacks" was being gradually changed to "2+ ward save against Flaming attacks" more or less across the board in 8th, and that Armour of the Furnace should be altered accordingly. We're aware that the High Elves still have total immunity with one of their magic items, but that's the only counter example around by the looks of things.

Originally the Taurus was going to be nerfed in the same way, but it was deemed appropriate to leave it totally immune given the background. So swings and roundabouts, really.

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:

08-09-2010 07:08 AM
Baggronor
The Forgemaster

Market Rep: 9
Slaves: 617
Army Showcase Best Contributor - 2009 Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Contributor - 2010 Best Contributor - 2012 Best General - 2013 Major Prize Sponsor Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataBaggronor 08-09-2010

Quote:
The thing that bugs me the most is the armour of the furnace, 2+ ward save against fire, its the only ruling that is unnecessarily detrimental imo.

I would point out that the Armour is actually better now, as it gives the wearer a 2+ ward against Flaming Attacks, not 'fire-based weapons and spells'. Before, it would have offered immunity to Warpfire Throwers, Fireballs, etc, but would have done nothing against a flaming cannonball for example. Now, you get a 2+ ward save and the Taurus is completely immune Wink

Quote:
The only problem I have with Bull centaurs following ALL of the rules of cavalry is our most holy and elite bull centaurs now fear fire.

Yeah, this also came up, but it was the general consensus that we didn't want to actually add additional rules. If we had done, we would have added all kinds of stuff (and we had some pretty cool ideas Happy) but that wasn't the point of the errata.

http://www.titanwargames.com
08-09-2010 07:13 AM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataThommy H 08-09-2010

The risk as well is that by introducing too many caveats, you defeat the purpose of reclassifying them as cavalry in the first place. They can already use additional hand weapons like infantry, so you don't want to keep piling on the exceptions - we could have just given them Swiftstride and +1 armour save if we wanted to do that, but making them cavalry is an elegant solution to an old problem. I myself was the one who raised the point about them fearing Flaming Attacks when we were writing this, but I was convinced to leave it alone for the sake of simplicity.

As out of character as it is, there are a few things to remember: firstly, it's not that hard to shove something in the unit that causes Fear (like a Bull Centaur character with the Shrieking Blade) or you could give them the Banner of Eternal Flame - it would take a harsh opponent to rule that a unit fears one of its own abilities! And, if all else fails, they're testing on Ld 9 anyway. They're quite unlikely to ever suffer too many ill effects from this.

My models:

My rules:

08-09-2010 06:06 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Slaves: 1312
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) erratacornixt 08-09-2010

You could say that they are afraid of impure fire that is not blessed by Hashut. Or something.

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
08-09-2010 07:38 PM
blowie
Slave

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 6

RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) erratablowie 08-09-2010

Good errata. As I would expect for the most part.

IMO, shame that we can no longer us the Banner of Slavery to re roll Animosity test. Or have I miss read it?

08-09-2010 10:32 PM
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataThommy H 08-10-2010

You could never use it for that.

My models:

My rules:

08-10-2010 02:53 AM
Da Crusha
K'daai Destroyer

Best General - 2010                               
RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataDa Crusha 08-10-2010

well, sounds good I'll start using it.

Seaside Slaughter 2
08-10-2010 07:28 AM
Niibl
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 5

RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataNiibl 08-10-2010

I think that making Bull centaurs monstrous infantry instead of cavalry would have been the simplest solution. No "...in all aspects but they use weapons like infantry", no fear of fire (and on the downside no additional save). Sure, it would be in conflict with centigors and they would be the only 1W, cav.-base monstrous infantry but these factors are all irrelevant for the rule and therefore no additinal explanation would be needed.
It would also be more fitting for BULLcentaurs IMHO.

I'm just curious, why was the 4 models=1 rank line put ito the amendments?

This post was last modified: 08-10-2010 09:14 AM by Niibl.

08-10-2010 08:10 AM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataGrimstonefire 08-10-2010

It was a clarification that the 4 wide rule is unchanged.

08-10-2010 09:38 AM
Kered
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 84

RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataKered 08-10-2010

I have been muling over the different troop types and I think that the one which suit bull centaurs are best are monstrous beasts(the only main problem is montrous ranks.) or just infantry with swift stride rule how ever much I would like the +1 to the armour save, I'm interested in what other people think would be best.

Sorry if that was a bit off topic.

Over all it's a good clarification on things for the new edition I'll be sure to refer to it in games.

cornixt Wrote:
Irregardless, you shouldn't misunderestimate the power of the English language.

My Chaos Dwarf Log:
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=7679

http://www.ramblerstheshow.com/

08-10-2010 09:41 AM
Niibl
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 5

RE: CDO 8th Edition Ravening Hordes (CD) errataNiibl 08-10-2010

Grimstonefire Wrote:
It was a clarification that the 4 wide rule is unchanged.

dead
Yes..err..No, I mean why wasn't the 4 wide rule dropped with the amendments (in the spirit of standardisation and simplyfication etc.)? Wouldn't it have been more reasonable drop it as an obsolete artefact from good old times?
As I intend to field blunderbusses five wide, I just fear that I miss some important detail.

08-10-2010 09:59 AM
Pages (5): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why use Ravening Hordes when we have LoA Mosk 8 2,819 01-27-2014 03:57 PM
Last Post: Baggronor
  Fluff for Ravening Hordes magic items? M4cR1II3n 8 2,780 01-25-2013 08:47 PM
Last Post: M4cR1II3n
  indy GT vs Ravening hordes lists Blackspine 2 1,608 08-11-2011 07:02 AM
Last Post: Baggronor
  Ravening Hordes hosted anywhere else? Wifstrand 6 3,511 07-27-2011 08:54 AM
Last Post: nilbog
  Ravening Hordes is still relevant with Tamurkhan CD list Nicodemus 8 4,929 07-14-2011 09:50 AM
Last Post: Alan the evil

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites