Blind Berzerker
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 41
Golden Hat - Gold                               
Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryBlind Berzerker 11-10-2010

Well, here it is; my very first post on CDO... Takes Hat off

Personally, I could not think of making a more dramatical entrance; a first post, showcasing the winner of a very hard fought contest. First and foremost, I would like to take off my (slightly oversized) horned helmet to all of you who competed together with me; the standard was very high indeed and I am surprised and humbled to have done so well... Also, a big thank you to the organisers of the contest; I know this kind of thing always puts the pressure on and it can be a very taxing endeavour indeed. Oh; and of course thank you to all who voted for my entry; cheers!

I saw there's a who's who thread somewhere, so I will introduce myself a bit more elaborately there. Suffice to say I ended up on this great forum through a web search for Chaos Dwarfs (no surprise there I suppose). I have recently started a Chaos Dwarfs Blood Bowl team (after my Goblins had failed me one time too many. That is to say; they have never won or even tied just one match...) and sought some inspiration.

So, when I stumbled in here, I was so inspired, I decided to finally get that Big Hat army I had always wanted. I dug up my meagre collection of evil stunties and accompanying Hobbos and set to work, until I noticed the announcement for the GH13 contest and on a whim, I decided to enter.

So I signed up, but due to circumstance, I didn't get the chance to actually post anything (real life has a habit of getting in the way, doesn't it Wink ). By the time I did find the opportunity though, my entry was finished (a couple of hours before the deadline of course), and maintaining radio silence seemed like a fun way to remain that one mysterious outsider everyone talks about. You know; handsome stranger and all...

Anyhow; I can now finally break the silence and post a (very) abreviated bloggish series of pictures of my entry. Yay!

When I came up with the idea, the first thing I did was doodle it into my notebook as a starting point.

I later also scribled down the construction of the boiler, its plumbing and the whistle's lever. I also worked out the facial expression a bit better (which doesn't come across very well on the pictures, but quite matches my later drawings in real life. So my photo skills need some serious brushing up. Also because almost all of the subtle blending and shading on the mini completely failed to show up on my entry pictures. But with no time or remaining photographic skill left, I simply had to go with them).

Believe it or not by the way, but this is the very first full sculpt I have ever attempted. However; I do have my share of conversion work under my belt and have been in the hobby since the late eighties, so luckily I'm not a complete novice.

I did read up on sculpting techniques and basics though, so I started out with a wire frame, made out of paperclips:

The first part I created was the whistle/hat, which was made from a piece of 1/72 aircraft ordnance (of which I havve enough to start and decisively conclude a minor brush war), with the ends cut off, to leave a plain cilinder, which I capped with pieces of plasticard. I then added the cone on top with putty. I use ProCreate almost exclusively, with some Green Stuff here and there as foundation and bulk. I simply find it to be a much nicer material to work with...

I then added the basic shape in GS over the wire frame. It was then that I decided to add a bit more dynamism into the pose by making him twist to the left, which makes him visually more appealing when compared to my initial drawing.

As the globbed on GS was way too bulky, I then dry sculpted it back to the right proportions with a sharp blade.

On top of this basic shape, I then started sculpting the final shapes and the surface detail. Luckily, scale mail is very easy to do, as that was the first area I tackled. Sadly though, most of the sculpting on the back later disappeared under the zany steam contraption...

Next up was the face, which was one of the two parts I dreaded the most (the other being the left hand), but surpisingly, it went very well. I suppose studying those tutorials on the web really paid off...

Then, inevitably, came the other area I feared; the rather difficult left arm, which was complicated even more by the twist I added to his pose. This forced me to cut away the entirety of the GS foundation for the arm and work the pose back from the finger in his ear all the way down to his elbow and sleeve. I had to do this in stages. The first one I had to take off again, as it looked like Hobbo dung. The second try was much better, but really rough. So I had to go back, cut some parts back again and smoothen out the work I did in my second try. But in the end it looks pretty good, all things considered. The second stage is shown in this picture.

Then came the big moment of merging the hat and its wearer. At this stage, I also added the other parts, such as the boiler, chimney, plumbing, lever and chain. I was inspired by Astrogoth's boiler for this, so I used an old (and damaged, out of a bitz buy) Hero Quest Ork head for this, with a boiler made out of a 1/72 cluster bomb (fuse used as water tank cap). The demon's face was sculpted on with some more ProCreate. The plumbing consists of a piece of soldering wire, some round plastic sprue, plasticard/rod/pipe and a piece of a WH40K Space Marine Missile as a valve knob. The chain is from some WHFB Chaos Marauder flails and the lightning bolt end is also plasticard. Finally, some last detailing (such as the rivets all over the mini and the arrows on the whistle/hat) was done and he was ready for undercoating!

Finally, here is an alternative shot of the finished product, from a higher angle than the entry pics.

I do plan on cleaning up some of the painting, especially the triangles on the chimney; they're too rushed by far. I will exchange them for red and yellow ones forming a band around the chimney's top, bordered in black. I will also add borders to the triangles on the sleeves and clean up the line where the plate mail meet the fabric of his tunic, possibly blacklining inbetween the two colours.

As I am a very slow painter to begin with, I am not dissatisfied with the final result, as I did the entire paintjob, including undercoating, on Sunday 31st. Had I taken a bit more time, I am confident the end result would have been better. Which is why I was so surprised to find I had actually won, even though I had been aiming for a top three placing (I even ceremonially slaughtered 13 kittens and 1 newt to ensure my success). Evil idea:

All in all, it was a great (and fun) experience and I am confident enough in my skills now, to want to sculpt more Chaos Dwarfs! I have taken up the plan to sculpt, and cast in white metal, multipart CHaos Dwarfs to create my CD army, as Ebaying all the required models will be prohibitively expensive. Let's hope I will be able to pull off this monumental task I have set myself to...

Cheers,

Blind Berzerker

2017 Image Salvage

HASHUT!! Gesundheit...

This post was last modified: 08-12-2017 01:03 AM by Admiral.

11-10-2010 05:56 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thommy H
Zhatan the Black

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 3
Slaves: 536
Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Best Contributor - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryThommy H 11-10-2010

Well, welcome to the site - and quite a welcome it is, as you said yourself. I voted for your entry, because the quality of the sculpt and the paintjob was very clear to me. When looking through the entries, yours didn't actually jump out at me at first, but when I looked more closely I could see the work and skill that had gone into it - as your blogesque pictures demonstrate. I'm not aware of anyone making quite this kind of entrance before, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future.

Serial Writist - lots and lots of short fiction, written by me, regularly updated.

My models:
The Legion of Astragoth | The Dark Crusade of Mousillon | The Destroyer Cult | Les Défenseurs du Béniterre | Storm Over Béniterre | Force Belial

My rules:
Chaos Dwarfs Warscroll Compendium

11-10-2010 06:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dncswlf
Lammasu

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 59

RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entrydncswlf 11-10-2010

Wow, first post, first attempt at sculpting, great job!  Welcome to the site, look forward to seeing some more of your work!

Check out my blogs, lots of oldies but goodies:

Dncswlf's Chaos Dwarf Blog
My blog of other stuff
11-10-2010 06:30 PM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 1715
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Golden Hat - Gold Best Overall Member - 2017 Best General - 2018 Artisan's Contest Bronze x4                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryAbecedar 11-10-2010

Yes a definite welcome for such an entrance to the site.   Loved the model, voted for it,  Did sort of suspect it was a blood bowl figure but not that BB was merely the starting inspiration and that it was actually a whole sculpt.  Even more blown away now that I've seen the WIP pic's.

Last Time(s) I Bled for my Hobby  =  Fri 13th March 2020
27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time(s) I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
11-10-2010 07:21 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1362
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryGrimstonefire 11-10-2010

I voted for this, but I didn't realise it had been entirely sculpted!  Shows just how good the sculpting is that I figured it was an original converted a bit. Happy

We include pictures of the winning entries in the Word of Hashut ezine, so if possible can you do your tidying up and take some fresh pics in time for WoH #11?

Send a pm to Willmark when you're done.

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad
11-10-2010 07:42 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Obsidian
Voice of Hashut

Market Rep: 11
Slaves: 226
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Golden Hat - Silver x2                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryObsidian 11-10-2010

Like it a lot and it had my vote!
Great entrance and nice to see someone else from Breda here!! Happy

The Obsidian Forge
11-10-2010 08:20 PM
Fequiil
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 53

RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryFequiil 11-11-2010

dutch ftw!Big Grin
really nice sculpt( how obvious, it's GH winning mini)

my blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=9595
finally serving the father of darkness!
11-11-2010 02:06 AM
Nicodemus
Grand Imperious Sorcerer of the Forge

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 40
Slaves: 1259
Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Best Attitude - 2010 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2011 Golden Hat - Bronze Best Overall Member - 2013 Photobucket Migration Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryNicodemus 11-11-2010

Great intro!! And Congratulations, you had my vote... and my mental vote for 1st place Wink  
Of course your first post showing up with a Gold medal for a GH means the bar has been set and we're going to be expecting more!! Takes Hat off

Welcome to the forum, hope you have fun and enjoy... be sure to post more please!!
~N

PS I especially like the finger in the ear... great touch!!

Nicodemus' adage: "It is not enough to bash in skulls, we must bash in minds!"

Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business (Chaos Dwarf Blog) and Non-Dawi'Zharr Blog
Warhammer Quest & Dreams of Hashut (3D Tile Creation Blog - Dawi Underway & More!!)
Chaos Dwarf 'Quest Blog (Download the Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarfs Roleplay Book )
Warhammer Quest: Chaos Dwarf Expansion (Board Game Geek)

This post was last modified: 11-11-2010 02:15 AM by Nicodemus.

11-11-2010 02:14 AM
tjub
Prophet of Tjubshut

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1559
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Golden Hat - Silver Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2018                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entrytjub 11-11-2010

Haha, cute drawing! Great GH entry and welcome aboard! Looking forward to see a blog with more stuff... Happy

Intro to 15mm Kings of War
My CDO blog containing all things Chaos Dwarf.
My various other hobby projects on Instagram.
Follow Admiralty Miniatures on Facebook!

11-11-2010 02:17 AM
nitroglysarine
Burninating the Countryside

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 200
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entrynitroglysarine 11-11-2010

WOW didn't realise he was a fresh sculpt!

Really deserved 1st place now!

11-11-2010 05:02 AM
sparrow
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 52

RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entrysparrow 11-11-2010

I have to echo everyone else's comments. What an introduction and with a seriously nice sculpt and paint job.

You more than deserve that GH gold. If your army continues along this line it will be incredible. I'm really looking forward to it.

The only negative side is that I feel ashamed to update my own blog after seeing stuff like this!

Welcome to the forum,

JonCheers!

My army blog

Battle Reports

Built: 400pts  Painted: 0pts
11-11-2010 07:51 AM
Loki
Wearer of the Big Hat

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 269
Best Attitude - 2009 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryLoki 11-11-2010

Welcome to the site and congrats on the win, very impresive sculpt and like every one else i cant wait to see more, also good to see big hats in the back ground of one of the pictures as well Takes Hat off

Fequiil Said
------------------------------------------------
yeah, everybody can just say that, but when loki speaks...
everything is different.Wink

11-11-2010 10:43 AM
Fequiil
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 53

RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryFequiil 11-11-2010

Grimstonefire Wrote:
I voted for this, but I didn't realise it had been entirely sculpted!  

so did i! dead

my blog: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=9595
finally serving the father of darkness!
11-11-2010 02:36 PM
CheTralfara
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 21

RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryCheTralfara 11-11-2010

It really looks fantastic, and your sculpting skill are very impressive. Can you please give us so more pics of the painted model from more angels Happy

MY CHAOS DWARFS!
11-11-2010 03:12 PM
vulcanologist
The Mongrel General

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 260
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryvulcanologist 11-11-2010

Welcome to the site beserker and what a 1st impression! Like everyone else I'm really pressed with your sculpting and can't wait to see more of your work..and more big hats too!

Check out lots of my other stuff on my blog: MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

MY CHAOS DWARF ARMY BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=7773

MY BLOG OF EVERYTHING ELSE: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10173

MY BLOOD BOWL BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=10338

MY WEBSITE: http://vulcanologists.blogspot.co.uk/

Remember to build your new house ziggurat shaped!
11-11-2010 04:16 PM
clam
Slave to Darkness

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 1264
Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryclam 11-11-2010

Welcome aboard - a great entry and a well deserved 1st place - like other, I do not hope this was a on night stand Rolleyes

Clam's Coloured Classic Collection

Follow Clamshells on Facebook

This post was last modified: 11-11-2010 05:05 PM by clam.

11-11-2010 05:05 PM
Willmark
Dark Lord of Hashut

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 25
Slaves: 1225
Artisan's Contest - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Best Overall Member - 2007 Word of Hashut - Contributor Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2008 Best Overall Member - 2012 Veteran Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryWillmark 11-12-2010

Damn skippy that this won. Impressive to say the least!

My Want List / My Trade List
11-12-2010 03:29 PM
G.2
Lammasu

Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 177
Golden Hat - Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryG.2 11-12-2010

I really like your sculpt. This is such a unique way of looking at the Big Hats, that it indeed made my laugh, which I am sure was the intention. You have made me, want to go to work area, and start sculpting, but the fear of my bad results, is keeping me right here at the computer. Happy

G2 is short for George Georgiou.

Standing Small - G2's miniature blog

11-12-2010 09:17 PM
Bolg
Greater Bunny of Hashut

Market Rep: 12
Slaves: 645
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryBolg 11-13-2010

Stunning work! I love the WIP pictures!
oh and welcome to the forum (:

Check out my webcomic here...
11-13-2010 06:59 AM
Blind Berzerker
Hobgoblin

Slaves: 41
Golden Hat - Gold                               
RE: Blind Berzerker's GH13 entryBlind Berzerker 11-15-2010

Thanks all; all those positive reactions almost make me blush under my helmet. Almost... But I really am really proud of this achievement! Now to live up to the hype and churn out more great stuff.

Grimstonefire Wrote:
We include pictures of the winning entries in the Word of Hashut ezine, so if possible can you do your tidying up and take some fresh pics in time for WoH #11?

Send a pm to Willmark when you're done.

No problem; I'll probably be able to do so sometime this week. The corrections and cleaning up I want to do will (hopfully) add to the overall look of the model, which means it won't be in the same state as it was when it was entered. Won't that be an issue, as the new pics will not be representing the exact winner anymore? If required, I can take other pics before I wet the brushes one more time...

Obsidian Wrote:
Like it a lot and it had my vote!
Great entrance and nice to see someone else from Breda here!! Happy

Cheers; there seems to be a disproportionally large Dutch presence on this board. Nice. So to all fellow Dutchmen; als je op me hebt gestemd; bedankt!

CheTralfara Wrote:
It really looks fantastic, and your sculpting skill are very impressive. Can you please give us so more pics of the painted model from more angels Happy

I do have some extra pics and I'll post them, but as I will be taking some extra shots at Grimstonefire's request, I will take some more to post later...

clam Wrote:
Welcome aboard - a great entry and a well deserved 1st place - like other, I do not hope this was a on night stand Rolleyes

Sure baby, I had a great time. Hey; gotta go now, but I promise I'll call you tomorrow, 'kay? Tongue Wink

HASHUT!! Gesundheit...

This post was last modified: 11-15-2010 07:39 AM by Blind Berzerker.

11-15-2010 07:38 AM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites