Post Reply  Post Thread 
First ever conversion
Author MessageFirst ever conversion
War Paint
Unregistered

First ever conversionWar Paint 08-20-2007

Well Xander et al have inspired me to take my first steps and do my first real conversion and sculpting.  Pictures are just quick scans.

This I have decided will be a unit leader.  bits are:

BOSP dwarf warrior (Goes without saying)
Chaos Maruder head minus back half and hair
Chaos Marauder axe arm

Added hair and helmet plate at back and chainmail bib to try and get bit different to others I've seen.  Pleased with over sculpt on right arm though and whole of left arm is GS

Skull off skaven banner piece and other beard ornaments from cut down sprue

Comments wanted.

2017 Image Salvage

This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 07:35 AM by Admiral.

08-20-2007 06:43 PM
Quote this message in a reply
catbarf
Chaos Dwarf Hero

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1

RE: First ever conversioncatbarf 08-20-2007

The armor is great. I think, however, you should work on the beard- instead of doing lines going the whole way, make a line coming from one side that goes 2/3, then do the same for the other side, alternating. It gives a much better effect.

I also think the bib is a little weird. Cut it so it stays behind the shield and it'll be fine.

Mathhammer junkie.
08-20-2007 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xander
Chaos Dwarf Ambassador

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 7
Slaves: 504
Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Best Contributor - 2007 Golden Hat - Silver Wiki - Major Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: First ever conversionXander 08-20-2007

Looks awesome!  But I think you meant Chaos Warrior not Marauder. Happy

Nicely done.

Join us on the new forum. Come help us test it out!
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com
08-20-2007 07:17 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghrask Dragh
TeddyMadeMeDoIt...

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 855

RE: First ever conversionGhrask Dragh 08-21-2007

Looks Awesome War-Paint!
The hair at the in particular is impressive sculpting, The body armour is really well sculpted, I also like the new style 'bib' at the front!!
Critisisms would be the shield sleeve looks abit warped? if you look at the extremley well-done armour just below on the 'skirt' you can really see the difference, just try to keep the pattern a litle more constant. And if you have a filing tool I would try to make the shield a bit smoother (it will really show up when you paint it otherwise).
For a first conversion this is fantastic! I really like the choice of head and weapon (especially the weapon!!) and really can not wait to see more! Takes Hat off and congratulations on your first converted Chaos Dwarf Cheers!

My Chaos Dwarf Blog
08-21-2007 04:08 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
War Paint
Unregistered

RE: First ever conversionWar Paint 08-21-2007

Thanks for all the helpful comments gang

Shield - In 2 minds about this.  I wanted a battle worn look.  It really depends what I decide to paint on it I think

Shield arm - Yep the armour is not as good agreed, also I think the arm needs to be a bit bigger.  I think I rushed this a bit.  Got excited and impatient and wanted just to finish by then so I could see the whole thing.

Beard - I will try what catbarf said on next one.  I want to be able to do really fancy beards eventually so practice practice!

Weapon arm - Xander your spot on I did mean chaos warrior

Bib - I quite like the chainmail bib.  I'm going to keep as is for now.  Was going for the look you see on the old swivel gun crew.  Next time I will probably do the whole face chainmail like that mini

Hair - Thanks Ghrask - I was really pleased with this and enjoyed doing it and slicing and raising the occaissional strand as it cured.

I think I will tidy it up a bit next, try making the bottom of the scale armour a bit more even and sharp - probably just a new scalpel blade along the bottom.

08-21-2007 04:23 AM
Ghrask Dragh
TeddyMadeMeDoIt...

Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 855

RE: First ever conversionGhrask Dragh 08-21-2007

Ah, I didn't think of the battle-worn look in which case looks good!
Those swivel-gun crewmen are the coolest pre-hat stuff around!!!!!!! how good would it be to get army looking like those guys Happy

My Chaos Dwarf Blog

This post was last modified: 08-21-2007 04:41 AM by Ghrask Dragh.

08-21-2007 04:34 AM
War Paint
Unregistered

Thats the general theory and GW era look I want Ghrask - hopefully I can do it in practice

08-21-2007 05:10 AM
torn
Lord of Flaming Automatons

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 237
Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Scribe's Contest Gold                               
RE: First ever conversiontorn 08-21-2007

definately a chaos chaos dwarf! i think style wise you are definately on target if your trying to go for the early look, i would love to see it painted as im curious if your going to go with the early style red and green colours or if our going to do something completely different.

the use of the face mask is really well done

current projects:-
New mask/helmet style chaos dwarfs
blood bowl necromantic repaint
beyond the gates of antares algoryn force
my own battlefield!

2014 results with chaos dwarfs
1 - 0 - 1
08-21-2007 07:29 AM
War Paint
Unregistered

torn Wrote:
definately a chaos chaos dwarf! i think style wise you are definately on target if your trying to go for the early look, i would love to see it painted as im curious if your going to go with the early style red and green colours or if our going to do something completely different.

the use of the face mask is really well done

Still thinking about the colours - Gonna try to get painted asap, but got 200 figure comission to do as well!  As well as all my other figures - I'll see if I can squeeze it in bit by bit

08-21-2007 07:53 AM
AGPO
BOAR CENTAUR!

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 1271

RE: First ever conversionAGPO 08-25-2007

Nice work, the classic CW mask is a nice one for elite models - makes them stand out. It's slightly more difficult to cast though. The one thing I would change is the axe; I think its too big and I play Khorne. Those weapons were oversized on Chaos Warriors, on dwarfs its just pushing it that bit too far

Check out my blogs!:
Chaos Dwarfs (6/6/09)Other shiny things (13/11/11)

I follow the Grumpy But Responsible Gamers' Charter. Join us!

Sojourn Wrote:
FYI Wilmark, the only alcohol I'm drinking is from that bucket

08-25-2007 10:08 AM
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites