Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIP
Author MessageKyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIP
Kyllingmannen
Slave

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 11

Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPKyllingmannen 05-28-2011

Iron Daemon galore! It arrived yesterday, and I’m playing tomorrow, so I gave it a preliminary assembly and paintjob. Some parts are indeed sloppy; like the edges on the coal cart, but these won’t really show for gaming eye-level, and things like the wash pooling on the buffers I can redo when time allows. It is indeed missing the smoke stack; Forge World’s resident goblin probably stole it before shipping. Oh, well; not having it resin-gray for tomorrow was the goal. Success!

For the painting itself I’ve just gone with a dark undercoat, used straight metal paints and washed the whole thing in “Badab Black” (love the stuff!). A bit more elaborate on the dwarves, but nothing magical. The whole model was assembled, sans dwarves, before painting it; figuring the parts I couldn’t reach wouldn’t really show. I thought of painting the inner chaos symbol “hubcaps” to have them stand out, but opted not to so it wouldn’t be “too busy”. Not sure if this was the right choice. I look forward to seeing what others do Wink (and blatantly rip 'em off). Some details have been picked out in red, since it’s my army colour. On a side note the coal shuffler/stoker should've been all sooty, dirty and grimy, but I probably need a test run for this. Eagerly awaiting pics of what others do Big Grin

An assembling tip would be to do the whistle last; it was in the way for all other parts near the engineer’s station. Also, like Grimstonefire pointed out – the insides of the barrels are messy, since there's some sort of resin mold vent going into them. Still on the fence on what to do about this; it’s not really visible while playing, but it can clearly be seen in the photographs. And the foot plates aren’t fixed yet… Funny how one can see so few faults when the model is on the table and so many once it’s been photographed Sad.

All in all it’s a cool model, with a lot of details. The resin was a lot more brittle than I had expected, but it’s faster to assemble than metal, at least (memories of TK catapult and scorpion comes to mind). The crew is really exquisite, and the amount of detail and character is awesome. Now I just hope it will be worth its points in battle Unsure

05-28-2011 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unzul
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Slaves: 112

RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPUnzul 05-28-2011

great job... the metal is very realistic... ;-)

For the Glory!
05-28-2011 12:19 PM
Skink
Slann Mage Priest

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 14
Slaves: 699
Golden Hat - Silver Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Photobucket Migration Exceptional Help                               
RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPSkink 05-28-2011

You did a good job mate! Like the colors (dark metals gold and red). It will surely do on the battlefield

"Hashut! Vorgrund! Zharr Naggrund!!" A Chaos Dwarf's battlecry.

-Chaos Dwarf Spaghetti- My Dawi Zharr blog. Comes with tomato sauce!
05-28-2011 12:45 PM
Time of Madness
The Lord of Change

Group: Mods of Hashut
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 260
Best General - 2011                               
RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPTime of Madness 05-28-2011

Nice to see one painted. Any idea what size base it would fit on?
Time of Madness

The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
- Robert Jordan
05-28-2011 12:45 PM
Grimstonefire
The Magician Technician

Group: Retired Staff
Market Rep: 24
Slaves: 1366
Best Overall Member - 2009 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Artisan's Contest - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Gold Best Overall Member - 2010 Hellsmith - Bronze                               
RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPGrimstonefire 05-28-2011

what I did with the barrels was to cut it in fairly deep, leaving it all messy at the back but trying not to mess up the sides.

Then I put a blob of greenstuff in each and used a paintbrush with a fairly wide rounded end to blend it more into a smooth concave curve.

Nice work btw.  Impressed that you painted it so quick.

Are you chasing up fw about the smoke stack?

Ever the best of friends Mum. 1953-2011   Sad

This post was last modified: 05-28-2011 02:24 PM by Grimstonefire.

05-28-2011 02:23 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kyllingmannen
Slave

RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPKyllingmannen 05-28-2011

Thanks for the nice comments Takes Hat off

Painting it was really fast, as intended, with a spray primer, followed by a "wet" drybrush of all the metal paints, followed by a more-or-less complete wash with Badab Black. There's a lot more that can be done, I'm sure, and I look forward to seeing other painted Iron Daemons, by people who really know how to paint with more advanced techniques.

I will certainly pursue Forge World for the smoke stack. Not only for the principle of getting what I pay for, but also because it adds a lot of character to the Iron Daemon. I think it's a cool model, and certainly it will be at its best when complete. Big Grin Thanks for the tip about how to handle the barrels! I will revisit those, and the step ladders, when time allows. Probably after I've received the smoke stack.

Time of Madness Wrote:
Any idea what size base it would fit on?

A picture says more than words; it sits on millimeter graph paper [edit: one square = 5 mm], and although it looks a bit askew in the photograph it's more or less flush with the wheels on the marks of 115 mm, with the buffers and blades going slightly past, to the 135 mm marks (at least in the first picture). (The picture is clickable for a larger version)

Just for making the size more instantly imaginable I also stacked 3x3 basic cavalry bases underneath it (but skewed it a bit in relation to the graph paper .. meh) :

This post was last modified: 05-28-2011 03:37 PM by Kyllingmannen.

05-28-2011 03:35 PM
nitroglysarine
Burninating the Countryside

Market Rep: 4
Slaves: 200
Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze                               
RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPnitroglysarine 05-28-2011

wow! that is chunky!
Its even bigger than my Behemoth Empire Steam Tank.

05-28-2011 03:36 PM
Time of Madness
The Lord of Change

Best General - 2011                               

I was hoping to squeeze mine onto a chariot base....guess I'll have to come up with another approach.

Guess the next best thing would be the new spider base at 100mm X 150mm. It would match the 150mm long but be a bit wider then needed.

Time of Madness

- Robert Jordan

This post was last modified: 05-28-2011 04:33 PM by Time of Madness.

05-28-2011 04:30 PM
ryanamandaanna
Great Taurus

Slaves: 249
Golden Hat - Gold Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Veteran Medal - Silver Golden Hat - Bronze                               
RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPryanamandaanna 05-28-2011

looks like it's about the same size as the screaming bell kit... ?

05-28-2011 10:05 PM
Time of Madness
The Lord of Change

Best General - 2011                               

Screaming bell is 60X100 which is to small for this.

This model is minimum 75X150....so the best fit would be the new spider base (100X150).
Time of Madness

- Robert Jordan
05-28-2011 10:12 PM
fonejaker
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer

Slaves: 221

RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPfonejaker 06-01-2011

Your colour scheme real works on the demon.............well done

Is there any chance of some shots from different angles on the crew?
(mainly the one with the hat please)

Why use words when a picture does it better ????

This post was last modified: 06-01-2011 03:14 PM by fonejaker.

06-01-2011 11:40 AM
Ishkur Cinderhat
The Arch Immortal

Slaves: 86
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2007 Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Word of Hashut - Contributor Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Chaos Dwarf Radio - Contributor Image Gallery Contributor - Gold Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Gold x2 Golden Hat - Silver                               
RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPIshkur Cinderhat 06-01-2011

You got to be kidding.. you are assembling and painting a FW model of that size within a day?? o.O It took me a whole day just to assemble each of my Dreadknight, and they probably go together a lot easier than this war machine. I'm quite impressed Takes Hat off

06-01-2011 01:37 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Slaves: 1473
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPAbecedar 06-01-2011

I hate you (envy mostly a "rushed paint job looks better than my best)).  Mine arrived yesterday and I probably wont get it built for weeks (if that). probably take me longer than a day just to check that the pieces are all there.  It'll even take me a whole day to figure out the spray gun if I ever get brave enough to use it.

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
06-01-2011 06:05 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 126
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPAdmiral 06-01-2011

Quick assembly, quick paintjob, great result. Well done! Do you plan to add more war machines and thus form a land train?

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXX - Voting Deadline 18th of July ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
06-01-2011 06:26 PM
Kyllingmannen
Slave

RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPKyllingmannen 06-01-2011

Thanks for all the kind comments Takes Hat off

The Iron Daemon has a total of 51 parts, while a regiment, or unit, box of 19 orc boyz have 95 parts to assemble. So it's not worse than building two ranks of orcs! I've seen much worse flash on other GW-minis, and it's both fast and easy to superglue it together. It looks much more daunting and laborous to assemble than it is; the instructions are quite easy to follow. (And the crew lent a helping hand (with whipping the ogres!)).

The best part is it has proven its worth in battle already; steamrolling over the board, outflanking the, obviously caught-off-guard, enemy Tomb King army and shredding the Hierophant to smitherees by turn 3. Hashut be praised!

And some pics of the crew: (clickable for higher resolution)

The stoker and gunner stand like drunkards.

It looks like the gunner's had too much to drink.

The three stooges.

And one from up above / lying down.

And here the engineer is inspecting a sausage: (SFW)

Hopefully these'll show more of the details on the crew. Too bad I didn't take any pictures before painting them Sad

The land train is a really cool concept, but I don't see the point in being able to move war machines like the Dreadquake Mortar, if it means one less round of shooting. So I'm on the fence till the book comes out; maybe there'll be some scenariospecific reasons or something. For now I'll just use some scratch built mortars with "Battle for Skull Pass"-crew and some hapless Iron Gut ogres as Dreadquake Mortars. (All the while lurking in the thread where people are discussing the usefulness of the Magma Cannon).

06-01-2011 07:03 PM
Time of Madness
The Lord of Change

Best General - 2011                               
RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPTime of Madness 06-01-2011

Thanks for the close up shots!

Great looking model!

Time of Madness

- Robert Jordan
06-01-2011 07:13 PM
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Group: Hashut's Admin
Slaves: 1311
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPcornixt 06-01-2011

Looks very good even with such a simple paint job (which is how I plan to do mine when I get one)

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
06-01-2011 07:17 PM
dncswlf
Lammasu

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 59

RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPdncswlf 06-01-2011

Wow!  Very well done!  Glad to hear it proved its worth too!  Do you have any pics of the battle?  How does it look ranked up with your army!!

Very cool piece!!

Check out my blogs, lots of oldies but goodies:

Dncswlf's Chaos Dwarf Blog
My blog of other stuff
06-01-2011 09:36 PM
Kyllingmannen
Slave

RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPKyllingmannen 06-02-2011

dncswlf Wrote:
Do you have any pics of the battle?  How does it look ranked up with your army!!

Sadly, no pictures from the battle. I am still in the midst of converting and painting BFSP-minis, but I might take some pics when I'm done and "convert" this thread into a "fully armed and operational" army blog.Wink

06-02-2011 04:09 AM
Abecedar
Curmudgeon of Hashut

Slaves: 1473
Best Attitude - 2016 Word of Hashut - Contributor Veteran Medal - Silver Artisan's Contest - Silver Diplomat Medal - Bronze Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Scribe's Contest Veteran Artisan's Contest - Gold Scribe's Contest Bronze Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Silver x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2                               
RE: Kyllingmannen's Iron Daemon WIPAbecedar 06-02-2011

And here the engineer is inspecting a sausage: (SFW)
Thank God.. I thought they were your fingers!

Last Time I Bled for my Hobby  =  27 June 17(ouchy); 15 June 17
Last Time I glued my fingers together = 30th, 29th & 27th June 17; 16 June 17

Army Blog

Short Stories
Legend of Lord Kvackd'up
Zhek'dars tales  =  tbf.
06-02-2011 06:12 AM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend