Post Reply  Post Thread 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (new Blocker 28 Jul)
Author MessageClassic CD Blood Bowl Team (new Blocker 28 Jul)
axiom
Hobgoblin

Group: Dawi Zharr
Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 17

Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (new Blocker 28 Jul)axiom 06-28-2011

Hi all, I spent a happy few hours last week doing some research on old school Chaos Dwarf Blood Bowl teams, and stumbled across the forum.

As I'm new to the forum, I thought I'd kick off with my latest Blood Bowl project which I'm also updating on Talk Fantasy Football, but figured you guys might also be interested:

Back in the late 1980s, or was it early 1990s, I recall owning a copy of White Dwarf which had Blood Bowl catalogue pages in the back (I forget the issue, but think it might have had a yellow cover!). In those pages were the classic Chaos Dwarf Blood Bowl figures which I never got round to owning at the time.

It so happened that I recently managed to pick up some figures and decided to build a new team which can be configured as either Chaos Dwarfs, Dwarfs or with the addition of a few other players, as a functioning Blood Bowl team. I really dislike identical duplicate players in a team, so each figure is going to be different. I anticipate this team will take me through to October when I'm supposed to using them as a Dungeon Bowl tournament with my club.

Right, some pics:

The first Boar (Bull) Centaur, shamelessly copied from Horekim's excellent Chaos Dwarfs, seeing as original Fantasy Chaos Dwarf Boar Centaurs are rather too expensive on ebay! A second one is in the works pending arrival of another Wood Elf piggy.

These two chaps will act as Chaos Dwarf Blockers in the Chaos Dwarf team, but when I'm using them as Dwarfs they'll both be Troll Slayers (after all they have hair on show and DO look frenzied). I extended the hair on one, and will be swapping his shoulder spike onto his other shoulder too.

Lastly for today it's a new Chaos Dwarf Blocker. He's the fantasy mortar crewman chosen because of the helmet style and faceplate. I made his shoulder pads a bit more Blood Bowl-esque and replaced his arm with a greenstuff cast of the Chaos Dwarf thrower arm. Came up pretty well I reckon!

These fellas will be my Runners in the Dwarf team and just bog standard Chaos Dwarfs otherwise. The chap on the left is unaltered, but the guy on the right has had a leg swap with the old fantasy Chaos Dwarf known as Durghal Deathdealer. Durghal had a bare 3-toed webbed foot which made him highly suitable for use as a Runner (no shoes and duck feet clearly make you run faster!). He also got a natty handlebar moustache (I copied the look from the Thrower) and some horns to change his profile. I still need to repair the chainmail skirt, but I like the result Happy

Lots more figures to come Happy

This post was last modified: 07-28-2011 05:56 AM by axiom.

06-28-2011 11:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cornixt
Brewer of Daemonic Beer

Group: Hashut's Admin
Slaves: 1302
Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Word of Hashut - Contributor Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Attitude - 2011 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Veteran Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team - A Blogcornixt 06-28-2011

Can't wait to see the rest, looks like it will be a very characterful team. I wish I had duck feet.

There's a lot more in the wiki than you think, check out the wiki contents

Like a Great Taurus in a Cathay shop.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to k'daii."
06-28-2011 02:22 PM
clam
Slave to Darkness

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 1251
Golden Hat - Gold Golden Hat - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team - A Blogclam 06-28-2011

Certainly looks very promising. Keep it up Happy

Clam's Coloured Classic Collection

Follow Clamshells on Facebook
06-28-2011 04:40 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Da Crusha
K'daai Destroyer

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 433
Best General - 2010                               
RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team - A BlogDa Crusha 06-28-2011

very cool. I have a few of these models but I use them as crew for my war machines. Im really looking forward to how this team will develop.

Da Crusha's non-big hat army blog
Seaside Slaughter 2
06-28-2011 05:31 PM
axiom
Hobgoblin

RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team - A Blogaxiom 07-01-2011

Thanks guys!

I've been agonising over hobgoblins to go with these guys. I don't like the pointy hatted / pointy nosed versions, just using orcs seemed a bit underwhelming, and old school citadel hobgoblins didn't really look like they'd fit.

After some searching for some roughly contemporary models, I discovered the old Marauder Chaos Thugs. They need a fair bit of prep work to remove their bows, quivers and other weapons, but I'm largely satisfied with the results for these two test figures:

The heads are from Maximini and I think are to be used as renegade Imperial Guard, but the helmets and masks sort of work with the Chaos Dwarf ones.

I also added a couple of armour plates to the Boar Centaur to tie him in with the original war machine versions:

What do you think?

07-01-2011 05:45 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Market Rep: 6
Slaves: 528
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (Hobgoblins 1 Jul)Admiral 07-01-2011

That's a neat idea for the Hobgoblins. I like the looks of this project. Happy

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
07-01-2011 08:57 AM
Da Crusha
K'daai Destroyer

Market Rep: 10
Slaves: 433
Best General - 2010                               
RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (Hobgoblins 1 Jul)Da Crusha 07-01-2011

the chaos thugs look like they are gonna work out quite nicely. the sculpted plates look good. the only thing that bothers me a bit about that model is the closed legs. to me the top half looks fairly dynamic while the bottom half looks rather static. I didn't notice it on the first pic.

Da Crusha's non-big hat army blog
Seaside Slaughter 2

This post was last modified: 07-01-2011 06:06 PM by Da Crusha.

07-01-2011 06:05 PM
tjub
Hat or Die!

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1308
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (Hobgoblins 1 Jul)tjub 07-01-2011

Looks good, but I dont know if I would convert those old models...

Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

07-01-2011 06:42 PM
inkpwn
Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith

Market Rep: 5
Slaves: 50

RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (Hobgoblins 1 Jul)inkpwn 07-01-2011

Can't wait to see them painted, excellent models and excellent conversion. Top notch.

GO TEAM CHAOS!
Check out my DeviantART page Big Grin
07-01-2011 08:00 PM
Borador Away
Collector of Renegades

Slaves: 0

RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (Hobgoblins 1 Jul)Borador 07-02-2011

Shed a few tears about the old mini's, they look really nice though!

07-02-2011 03:30 PM
axiom
Hobgoblin

RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (Hobgoblins 1 Jul)axiom 07-03-2011

Da Crusha Wrote:
the chaos thugs look like they are gonna work out quite nicely. the sculpted plates look good. the only thing that bothers me a bit about that model is the closed legs. to me the top half looks fairly dynamic while the bottom half looks rather static. I didn't notice it on the first pic.

I'm hoping it's deceptive in the pic - I don't think he's any less dynamic than a lot of other throwers. Maybe it will all come together  when he gets a paint job Wink

tjub Wrote:
Looks good, but I dont know if I would convert those old models...

Borador Wrote:
Shed a few tears about the old mini's, they look really nice though!

I've done a few armies and teams converting old models (40k zoat army, slann BB team), and I guess I work from the theory that at least they're being used and I try to do as good a job as I can so it's not just hack jobs that ruin a figure. I probably wouldn't do it to an unreleased figure though Happy

Thanks for all the positive comments!

07-03-2011 03:49 PM
axiom
Hobgoblin

RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (WIP Team Shots 4 Jul)axiom 07-04-2011

A bit more progress over the weekend. First up is the final Blocker conversion:

He's made from a Squat pirate with a cast of an arm and faceplate from one of the other Chaos Dwarfs. For those of you who worry about these things he's fully intact beneath it all, and both additional parts could be easily removed Happy

Next it's WIP Board Centaur #2

This guy really has had his legs chopped off! Lots of gs work to do here for the fur, and to do something with his shoulder pads to be more BB.

Some team shots:

Configured as a Chaos Dwarf team. The observant among you will notice that two of the hobgoblins still need to be started. I also need to think about what to do for the Minotaur in this team.

Configured as Dwarfs, complete with positions (although I realise I've called Blockers Linemen by mistake). The undercoated Blitzer hasn't been started, but I chose him as he's got a very similar pose to the actual BB figure.

Hope you like!

07-04-2011 11:18 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016                               
RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (Hobgoblins 1 Jul)Admiral 07-04-2011

I think you're making the old models justice with your conversions. (I have a few semi-old Dwarfs and Goblins myself. So far I've only touched a Goblin, giving it a notch in its axe and a bigger nose. Wouldn't want to remake such veterans radically.)

Me like. Happy

It'll be interesting to see your painting of these little buggers!

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXVIII - Deadline 9th of November ...  Admiralty Miniatures Blogshop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Chaos Dwarf Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 07-04-2011 04:25 PM by Admiral.

07-04-2011 04:22 PM
Borador Away
Collector of Renegades

Slaves: 0

RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (Hobgoblins 1 Jul)Borador 07-04-2011

Luckily Ulfo's legs were already off, he is my favorite chaos dwarf, and I would have raged for a bit if you did that yourself Tongue Wink that is the only real heresy in this hobby, just so you know it: NEVER cut up an Ulfo Bloodmask!

He is the most perfect mini ever made so no need to do his shoulder pads! Wink

The chopping considered they are actually really cool conversions and it is good to see someone making a nice gang out of them! As long as they are being played with/you have fun while making them, it's all good.

I might have to steal the boar centaur idea some time, using my least favorite doubles Tongue Wink

They are coming along very nicely mate (: I am looking forward to seeing more!

07-04-2011 04:51 PM
axiom
Hobgoblin

RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (Hobgoblins 1 Jul)axiom 07-09-2011

Hi all - glad you're not too appalled by my drastic surgery!

I did my first test figure for the colour scheme for these guys this evening - one of the 'troll slayers' from the 'Dwarf' team:

He needs basing and a number, but otherwise he's pretty much finished. I like the yellow/blue combo, but it really needs the red, so I'll try to incorporate red on all the other figures somewhere.

Here's a test for the Hobgoblins when the team masquerades as real Chaos Dwarfs:

What do you think about the blue skin? I'm not sure and may revert to green, and use blue somewhere else (maybe the gut plate. Any thoughts?

07-09-2011 04:59 PM
axiom
Hobgoblin

RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (Hobgoblins 1 Jul)axiom 07-26-2011

How does time pass so quickly? I guess I must be easily distracted! I finally sat down last night to execute project pink, and to turn a single colour strip into something rather natty looking in pink and yellow. Here's the results:

The hob is obviously still WIP, but now ties in much better to the chaos dwarfs. I went with green skin after all, but with his new pink side he doesn't necessarily need the blue skin. Now I'm happy with the colour scheme I need to start batch painting the rest of the players Happy

07-26-2011 04:00 AM
Bolg
Greater Bunny of Hashut

Market Rep: 12
Slaves: 579
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze Golden Hat - Silver Veteran Medal - Bronze                               
RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (now with pink 26 Jul)Bolg 07-26-2011

Love there colors, very old school (:

Check out my webcomic here...
07-26-2011 06:54 AM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tjub
Hat or Die!

Market Rep: 13
Slaves: 1308
Army Showcase Best Hobbyist - 2008 Word of Hashut - Contributor Golden Hat - Silver x2 Diamond Army Medal - 8000 PTS Best Hobbyist - 2009 Artisan's Contest - Gold Best Hobbyist - 2010 Veteran Medal - Bronze Golden Hat - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2011 Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Hobbyist - 2012 Dark Apostle - Bronze Photobucket Migration Hellsmith - Gold                               
RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (now with pink 26 Jul)tjub 07-26-2011

Much better with two colours and as Bolg said, really old school. Fits perfect for BB!
The bluebearded dwarfs looks crazy! Happy

Chaos Dwarf Army Blog
Other creations

GDD Wrote:
"And then children, Tjub spent 78 pages perfecting his fireborn. For such is the struggle of a CD player with a thematic army."

07-26-2011 11:49 AM
axiom
Hobgoblin

RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (now with pink 26 Jul)axiom 07-28-2011

tjub Wrote:
Much better with two colours and as Bolg said, really old school. Fits perfect for BB!
The bluebearded dwarfs looks crazy! Happy

Glad you think they look old school - the late 1980s to early 1990s is the era I most enjoy (I guess because that's when I started playing!)

Another micro-update for you:

A Chaos Dwarf Blocker

The painted team to date:

And another very early WIP hobgoblin:

(Still plenty of greenstuff to do on him yet Happy

07-28-2011 05:53 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: Classic CD Blood Bowl Team (new Blocker 28 Jul)Admiral 07-28-2011

Now they're looking like a real football team. Wink

However, that CD blocker  looks like he's missing his right upper arm. There's a gap in there. Perhaps you could fill it in with green stuff and then repaint it?

This post was last modified: 07-28-2011 05:59 AM by Admiral.

07-28-2011 05:57 AM
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  (07/05/2015) Hunter's Big Hats - Blood Bowl Hunter 20 5,580 05-09-2015 05:08 AM
Last Post: Miasma
  Blood Bowl ala tjub tjub 39 32,385 12-29-2011 02:27 AM
Last Post: vulcanologist
  [Blood Bowl] Zharr-Naggrund Juggernauts Red Skullz 158 57,066 05-24-2010 01:59 PM
Last Post: Red Skullz

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites