Pages (36): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
5 Votes - 4.8 Average   The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [26-07-2018]
Author MessageThe Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [26-07-2018]
Fuggit Khan
The Eye of Hashut

Group: Immortals
Market Rep: 8
Slaves: 647
Best Hobbyist - 2013 Image Gallery Contributor - Bronze Golden Hat  - Gold x2 Scribe's Contest - Gold x2 Bronze Army Medal - 1000 PTS Artisan's Contest - Gold x3 Artisan's Contest - Silver x2 Scribe's Contest Silver Best Hobbyist - 2014 Diplomat Medal - Bronze Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Silver Scribe's Contest Veteran Golden Hat - Bronze Veteran Medal - Silver Fuggit (dubai joke medal) Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Best Hobbyist - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Bronze                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-12-2014]Fuggit Khan 04-14-2014

I like the idea of a variety of hat sizes and heights...I prefer the look of the one on the left, but both are quite good.
Have you considered making some of the hats taller and with horns? That would give people the option of making Hobgoblin hero/champions, in the same style of the 4th edition GW Hobbo's.

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
04-14-2014 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Group: Hashut's Admin
Slaves: 283
Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-12-2014]Admiral 04-14-2014

Thanks for the feedback, all of you! It's invaluable.

I'll stay shy of the too-slim look on the right (the only one of its kind).

Now, for the question you raise, Fuggit Khan, I've pondered a lot. I first thought to include a taller, horned hat to make champions and heroes, but am now unsure since it would likely be mixed in with the ordinary rank and file. But people can cut away the horns if they want to. Since you mention it, I think I'll make a champion head. Let's see how others think about it.

Do you want a tall champion hat with horns in the set?

News on CDO: Golden Hat XXXI - Voting Deadline 22nd of November ...  Etsy shop

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.
04-14-2014 05:35 PM
MadHatter
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 237
Scribe's Contest Silver Best General - 2014 Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-12-2014]MadHatter 04-14-2014

Admiral Wrote:
Do you want a tall champion hat with horns in the set?

Yes!

I had totally missed out on this project, are these head for conversions or will you sell complete "4th edition-ish" hobgoblin models?

Looks awesome... Shock

May your hat be tall and your beard ever coiled.
MadHatter's 90's Big Hats Blog!
04-14-2014 06:52 PM
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 0
Slaves: 50
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-12-2014]Dînadan 04-14-2014

I'd say don't do a horned hat one in this set - instead, how about doing a six or eight pack of command/heroes heads?

I'm thinking have it contain
2x Champ heads - both have horns but in a different style each
2x musician heads - one or both could be blowing a trumpet, the one that isn't has a fancier hat
2x standard bearer heads - both have fancier hats than the regular hobbos, one or both could have the metal 'domino mask' that some of the Bloodbowl hobbos have
and possibly 2x character heads - horned hats like the champ heads but snazzier.

You could also possibly bump the command group heads up to three apiece and do three heads with Sneaky Git style skull caps.

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

04-14-2014 07:25 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Scribe's Contest - Bronze x3 Best Attitude - 2014 Best Contributor - 2014 Major Prize Sponsor Golden Hat - Bronze Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest Silver Hellsmith - Gold Dark Apostle - Silver Best Attitude - 2015 Best Overall Member - 2015 Best Contributor - 2015 Artisan's Contest - Silver Best Overall Member - 2016 Best Contributor - 2016 Artisan's Contest - Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-15-2014]Admiral 04-15-2014

Very useful input, folks. I'd like to hear more people's opinion on this before deciding path. It's time for an update in the poll thread for max reach.

@MadHatter: It's a head project, joint Scandinavian style. Other manufacturers (whether GW, historicals, Mantic or others) will stand for the bodies. CDO is filled with good kitbashing to prove it.

Turn to Bloodbeard for details on orders and the like once and if we manage to get these heads cast. Check out this for more and please answer the poll, I'd like to know the extent of interest there is Cheers!.

@Dînadan: Very good point, I've thought in similar lines myself, though a Sneaky Git-style head will be part of the current kit as will be evident soon enough.

It's not a money question since I won't profit in cash from the heads. Getting casts myself will be more than enough. To us this is first and foremost a community service and a way for Bloodbeard and me to help ourselves. With any luck the Danes will reap enough money to earn back the mould and material cost and any travel costs associated with the projects.

The problem is the reach of the kit. If 100+ collectors got their hands on the standard head kit I'd undoubtedly do a leader kit, but we're probably dealing with a dozen or three interested customers here. Perhaps fifty at most, but that's stretching it a lot. This is small-scale.

If only a few will benefit from the standard head kit I'm happy about it, but won't probably make a leader kit. If enough collectors get collecting I promise to put out a leader kit as well, though no deadline promises!

We'll see how this kit turns out. I'd like to hear more people's opinions.

Takes Hat off

Update time, haha! I've laughed alot today, because we're lucky to find a cheap scanner which works with my computer. It's better than the old one which scanned the CD lady back in first post, but it's got a snag...

It can't scan Warhammer miniatures.

Even the flat grotesque turned out blurry in the lower half thanks to the base. The heads are thin enough to mostly pass. So now our last hope for regular and decent updates stands to the camera. Respect to the Hat!

So with a lot of work on getting the scanner up and eventually not really working it's time for an update shot. It's at least better than the phone pictures. Not much work done today.

This is where we stand at the moment, folks. Contrast increased in Photobucket to make out details better:

What do you think about the project so far? All feedback is welcome!

And thus there was Chaos. And Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. On Dark Tides. Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts. Flayman Tutorial.
Chaos Dwarf Writings: Fables. Songs. Sayings. Quotes. Monumental Inscriptions. Religious Texts.
There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf. Path to Glory: Chaos Dwarf Warband Rules.

This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 03:06 PM by Admiral.

04-15-2014 02:22 PM
MadHatter
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Scribe's Contest Silver Best General - 2014 Scribe's Contest Bronze                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-15-2014]MadHatter 04-15-2014

Admiral Wrote:
@MadHatter: It's a head project, joint Scandinavian style. Other manufacturers (whether GW, historicals, Mantic or others) will stand for the bodies. CDO is filled with good kitbashing to prove it.

Turn to Bloodbeard for details on orders and the like once and if we manage to get these heads cast. Check out this for more and please answer the poll, I'd like to know the extent of interest there is Cheers!.

(...)

What do you think about the project so far? All feedback is welcome!

Poll answered (ill order between 40 and 80 heads) these look amazing, would be awesome if you later released a command-group aswell, or if they go well with the 4th ed. commandgroup it won't matter. I did some calculations and it will save me about a zillion buck not hunting 80 hobgoblins down on ebay Happy would love to see how they look painted but I guess that will be a while!

May your hat be tall and your beard ever coiled.
MadHatter's 90's Big Hats Blog!

This post was last modified: 04-15-2014 02:50 PM by MadHatter.

04-15-2014 02:49 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Market Rep: 1
Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-15-2014]Yodrin 04-15-2014

That's some awesome looking heads right there, like em allWink

One thing I would suggest, is to make some more different hats to make em even more individualWink

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

04-15-2014 02:55 PM
Sticklander
Bull Centaur

Group: Dawi Zharr
Slaves: 125
Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-15-2014]Sticklander 04-15-2014

Those hobgoblin heads look wonderful! If they're given a few more variations for the hat, I would certainly use them!

'If I look back, I am lost.'
~------------~
Hobby Blogs:
Chaos Dwarfs, The Blooded Horde
A Song of Ice and Fire conversions
Moss Goblins
~------------~

04-15-2014 03:56 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bloodbeard
Master Hellsmith of the Artillery Forge

Market Rep: 18
Slaves: 833
Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-15-2014]Bloodbeard 04-15-2014

This is fantastic work Admiral. Wow
Nice to see them in this quality (which is actually fine enough).

Thought you eanted a scanner to dcan polaroid pictures. Ha!

I like them like this. The eyepatches, knife and nose-thingy-ma-bob is all the variety I need. Will make for a nice uniformed group and still have thdm be different. The sneaky gitz heads is quite enough.

And they all have the 4th ed hobgoblin feel.

To give extra details on the hat, and giving a possibility for a secondary colour, add stiches. A lot of the old models have them.

Some could have / like this.  Some \ like that.  An thirdly like this X. And half could habe tem in front of the hat and the others in the back. Wouls keep the uniformity, but add lots of details.

04-15-2014 04:59 PM
Visit this users website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bloodbeard

Diplomat Medal - Bronze Artisan's Contest - Bronze Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Wiki - Major Contributor Scribe's Contest Gold Best General - 2014 Best Overall Member - 2014 Veteran Medal - Bronze Scribe's Contest Silver Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Dark Apostle - Silver                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-15-2014]Bloodbeard 04-15-2014

I'll be looking into the casting process when Admiral is finished with the sculpting.

A friend of mine has done a fair share of resin casting, and he says this project should be manageable. He'll teach me and sell me some materials.

The first obstacle will be to make a mould that let us cast 5 or 10 heads at a time.

I hope it works. Would love to bring this great stuff to all of Zharr Naggrund.

It's not a moneymaking project, price will be set to primarily cover costs.

04-15-2014 05:07 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-15-2014]Admiral 04-16-2014

@Madhatter: Thanks! You're welcome to order away from the Dane. Wink

I'm sure they'll go well along with the 4th edition command groups. Another alternative is to buy a Russian Alternative command group. How about one horde led by 4th ed. GW command and one led by RA command?

At the moment I'll sculpt an 11th champion head with horns in his big hat. If this kit would prove unlikely popular (100+ collectors getting it) I promise to make a dedicated leader/command head kit. Of course, we have to get these heads succesfully cast first! I'll paint 10 heads as soon as my castings arrive from Denmark. Cheers!

@Yodrin: Thanks! Haha, everyone pulls in different directions. I planned an even more individual head kit at start, but made it more uniform due to community wishes. Wink

@Sticklander: Thank you kindly! I've got quite some variants planned for the softhats, and then we'll have a champion head chucked in as well. Let's see how you and others like it when they're more or less finished. If more variation is called for I'll make a 12th "wildcard" head of some sort.

@Bloodbeard: Thanks, sir marketeer! The scanner is the cheapskate's way out. Tongue Wink

Very well, ladies and gentlemen!

With the acquisition of the scanner I'll be able to deliver more frequent update, but only of wholly dried heads due to the scanner lid. Thus I can only show you progress on two heads because the rest are on the dryline.

Here we have an almost finished sneaky git-style head along with a  W.I.P. Phrygian helmet head. How do you like them?

Hopefully the incoming camera will solve all damn blurry picture problems!

This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 03:07 PM by Admiral.

04-16-2014 01:53 PM
Yodrin
Greater Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 296
Image Gallery Contributor - Silver Best Attitude - 2013 Gold Army Medal - 4000 PTS                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-15-2014]Yodrin 04-16-2014

I like the dude on the left the most, though both are coolWink

But hey.......get a new camera, your pics don't justify how awesome the heads look Wink

YODRIN'S P.BLOG: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...?tid=13137

Thommy H Wrote:
This thread is two years old. The kid in question is probably in prison by now.

04-16-2014 02:01 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

Yodrin Wrote:
I like the dude on the left the most, though both are coolWink

But hey.......get a new camera, your pics don't justify how awesome the heads look Wink

Haha, the new camera should arrive any day now, though we'll probably have to wait for me to buy any necessary upload equipment whatnots first. Cheers!

04-16-2014 02:08 PM
torn
Lord of Flaming Automatons

Veteran Medal - Bronze Word of Hashut - Contributor Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS Scribe's Contest Gold                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-15-2014]torn 04-16-2014

Have you any idea of the prices you are looking for. Obviously its early yet but they are looking really good.

current projects:-
New mask/helmet style chaos dwarfs
blood bowl necromantic repaint
beyond the gates of antares algoryn force
my own battlefield!

2014 results with chaos dwarfs
1 - 0 - 1
04-16-2014 03:14 PM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

torn Wrote:
Have you any idea of the prices you are looking for. Obviously its early yet but they are looking really good.

Thank you. No clue as to prices, really. I've just assumed they'll vaguely be like Maxminis and others' head kits. Maybe cheaper, maybe not.

As you say it's still early, and you'll have to talk with Bloodbeard about shopping and all that if we manage to get these heads cast. But as we've both said this is not a moneygrabbing venture. Bloodbeard will try to recoup material costs and the like in the prices, so with some luck these heads could be pretty affordable compared with other head kits out there. We'll see further down the road. Ask the Dane later on. Cheers!

And as always, your feedback is welcome. Point out whatever you like and propose ideas if you have any. The course of this project have already been concretely altered for the better by community feedback, and more of that will become obvious when the heads are all finally completed.

This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 03:53 PM by Admiral.

04-16-2014 03:51 PM
Dînadan
Sardonic Daemon of Hashut

Slaves: 50
Scribe's Contest Veteran Scribe's Contest - Bronze x2 Artisan's Contest - Bronze x2                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-15-2014]Dînadan 04-16-2014

The Sneaky Git head looks really good.  Not that keen on the other head - the hat looks too thin for my liking.

For the Glory of Uzkulak! My Chaos Dwarf blog.

04-16-2014 04:00 PM
Onyx
Chaos Dwarf Warrior

Slaves: 47
Silver Army Medal - 2000 PTS                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-16-2014]Onyx 04-17-2014

AWESOME! project.

This will introduce a whole new level to hobgoblin conversions.

04-17-2014 01:47 AM
Admiral
Auxilliary Moderator

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-16-2014]Admiral 04-17-2014

@Dînadan: Thanks. I wondered about the thing you mention. Good that you bring it up!

@Onyx: Thank you! Would you be interested in getting hold of these heads youself? In that case, turn to Bloodbeard once and if we manage to get these cast.

Alright, folks! Today we'll have a scan of yesterday's progress bar the now started champion head.

Is the Phrygian helmet top too thin? Compare with the softhats and decide for yourselves. Remember that the helmet can always be painted in army colours rather than metal if that's more your taste.

This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 03:07 PM by Admiral.

04-17-2014 03:32 AM
Sticklander
Bull Centaur

Slaves: 125
Major Prize Sponsor                               
RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-16-2014]Sticklander 04-17-2014

I quite like the Thracian helmet, personally. The more variation, the better!

'If I look back, I am lost.'
~------------~
Hobby Blogs:
Chaos Dwarfs, The Blooded Horde
A Song of Ice and Fire conversions
Moss Goblins
~------------~

04-17-2014 05:35 AM
Bloodbeard

RE: The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar [04-16-2014]Bloodbeard 04-17-2014

If we succed, my list of priorities just changed. From magmacannon, deathshrieker, irondemon, bull centuaers, blunderbuss unit, great weapon unit ... and then hobgoblins.

To hobgoblins first.

I'm impressed by how good a job the scanner does.

helmet looks good.

04-17-2014 06:26 AM
Pages (36): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites